Parking at Port of Miami

LBroxon

Both times we've cruised out of Miami we've paid the $140 to park at the port. The lines to catch the shuttles to go get your car when you return are crazy...we decided it was just worth it for convenience of having our car right across the street. We have a 16 hour drive we just like to get on the road!!

I would post this question at the Florida Departures section of Cruise Critic.

There are many locals who post there who will give you up to date info. on these garages.

We always park at the port when we sail out of Miami. I can't keep up with which lot is "safe" and which lot has had issues with vandalism (and the parking lot management will tell you "not our problem, contact your insurance company.") There was a lot a few years ago which had a history of stealing parts from newer vehicles and replacing them with older parts. You wouldn't find out until you're on your way home.

The pictures on the website may not always be the lot where your car ends up.

Whatever you do, just make sure you get to keep your keys.:)

Has anyone used Premier Parking to park off-site at the Port of Miami? If so, what was your experience like? Just looking to save some $$ by not parking at the port.

On 5 january we're using Premier Parking (Booked on-line via Global Parking) at 1415 NE 2nd Avenue, based on numerous positive reviews. It's garage parking and the only "kicker" is that their shuttles to POM don't start until 11:00AM. For an 8-Day cruise I believe the Total was $75. Look for my Breeze review sometime after 13 January - I'll include commentson Premier!!!!! their site and the Global Parking site usually have coupons.

ken

You'll get a better response to this question if you post it to the FLA board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Security of your car is an issue in many parts of Miami :eek: - parking at POM costs $20/day but is convenient, covered and secure. You will not be able to apply all three descriptors to any off-site parking you find in Miami. Your call - good luck! :)

One thing to consider. If you use off site parking, they recommend you drop off your luggage first and then go to park your car. That sounds easy but can be difficult because as you know it is a mad house where you drop off the luggage. If you take your car directly to the lot, you need to take all the luggage with you on the shuttle and that takes considerable effort.

We are VIP so we get off the ship in the first group. If I use the covered parking facility at the ship, I get a porter to take all the luggage directly to the car and we are off in minutes. It costs a heck of a lot more to park there and you have to tip the porter but if you want to save considerable time, that is the way to go. If the cost is an issue, than your will save money at the off site location but it will take an hour or two more of your time.

Here's one small hint if you park at the covered ship facility. Take a picture of the location code on the pillar where you park. Then when you return, it is so easy to take out the phone and you will have your parking location. If you are like me, your mind goes blank with cruiser remorse upon your return.

We used Premier Parking this month. Service was "pretty good". Keep in mind you arepaying only $56 and saving $84 for the week. We were at Lot #58, 1st ct, or something like that. Just off 8th. The lot is lit, fenced and manned 24 hours. Nice people there. They uefull size vans that hold 10 people with luggage. Can be alittle wait for a van to get to the ship. We waited maybe 10-15 minutes. The ride is about 5 minutes to the port.

What was confusing was the pick up after the cruise. They told us to call when we were ready for pickup - fine- no problem there. The area for pickup at the terminal is quite large. Premier uses white vans with small decals on the sides. EVERYONE uses white vans with small decals on the sides. Good luck trying to spot the right van when there are 10-12vans all parked in the same area smothered with people. That took a good 30 minutes while we saw more than one Premier van leave with less that 5 people aboard. Most vans had 20 people wanting the 10 seats. just remember - - you saved $84. all in all ok....and back to the lot in 5 minutes........................but we could have be 30 miles down the road had we used the port parking garage. :rolleyes:

We used the cheap lot, Portofmiamicruiseparking.com w/no problems, but not for the faint hearted luxury car owner. Had booked last minute garage parking through Globalairportparking.com, got a confirmation and credit card bill, but when we arrived, the garage was full. It was Global's mistake, so they refunded my credit card, but had to scramble to park at the last minute. Fortunately, I had mapped several lots, and just drove a few blocks to 150 NE 7th St to park for $31 total for the week without any problems, dents, scratches or otherwise. The shuttle was $3 round trip per person, had already dropped eveyone at the ship, and returning I didn't even have to call, they spotted the yellow tag I was wearing, and I was off and back in about 20 minutes. However, my group was still waiting for baggage so I had to use the cell phone lot at the end of the pier for another half hour. All said, I will book direct with portofmiamicruiseparking.com next time. Global is just a booking website, serves a purpose, but not 100% reliable, although the their (Premier) garage is a great cheap alternative @ $8 vs. $20 per day. Does anyone know how to book the garage directly with Premier? Let us know, thanks.

I've used them twice out of Miami,latest was last month, and never had an issue. I'm not sure if their are two different premier sites or maybe they just moved but the 1st time I used them I parked in a parking garage, last time was in a fenced lot. 1st trip was in a soft top jeep with no nack windows in it. Didn't have anything valuable that wasn't locked in my tuffy lockbox but nothing looked messed with when I returned.

Both times I've gotten on one of the 1st vans out, forgot the time, but I was at the port and checked in well before they started letting anyone board. Only draw back like others have stated is getting back to your car. Can be a bit of a wait and your fellow cruisers can be extremely rude and impatient. I read on another post someone paid $12 for a taxi back to the parking area which is an option if you're in a hurry or don't want to deal with the crowds. Either way, you're saving a ton on the price of parking at the port itself. I guess the money saved isn't worth it if your car gets broken into or messed with, but I'm yet to hear any stories like that.

Archived