Help please with my trip to Australia and NZ

I have been researching for our trip to Australia and New Zealand for some time now. We have been looking at different options and I have come up with 2 different scenarios.

Some insight on us is we have cruised extensively throughout the Caribbean, been to Hawaii, and the South Pacific (French Polynesia, and LOVED IT!). We are Elite members with Celebrity, and would enjoy the "free laundry" perks. Also, will be Diamond Plus on RC, so again would get the "free laundry" perks which will help out so much on this trip.

Our first option was the original trip, but in doing more research, finding it is break time for Australia schools in January. Rethinking the trip with the second option. I would like to get some feedback please.

First option is fly to Sydney in Jan/14, and sail RC Voyager (1/24/14)n 11 night to NZ visiting the South Island, then spending 7 nights in Sydney. We would then board RC Rhapsody (2/11/14) for an 11 night cruising to the Great Barrier Reef area. Also considering staying on Rhapsody for a B2B and doing the 12 night (2/22/14) over to Vanuatu and New Caledonia Islands. We would then fly home from Sydney. This option allows us to purchase a round trip air ticket from the US to Sydney and back home again.

The second option is flying into Sydney in February to board the RC Rhapsody 11 night (2/11/14) and coming in a couple days early to acclamate to the time change and tour Sydney a little. We would then stay on for the B2B on RC Rhapsody (2/22/14) to Vanuatu and New Caledonia (I love Islands, we have been to South Pacific French Polynesia and loved them!). We would then disembark Rhapsody and stay 4 night in Sydney for touring. Then, we would board Celebrity Solstice for the 12 night (3/10/14) cruise from Sydney over to NZ and visiting both South Island and North Island, ending in Auckland. We would then fly home from Auckland. My concern with option 2 is the airfare cost from US to Sydney, then back home from Auckland. Would this be significantly more money? I am leaning towards this second option to see more of NZ while in this part of the world.

Any thoughts and comments as to my planning would be very welcomed! Our objectives are to do some touring in Sydney, visit the Lone Pine Sanctuary while in Brisbane, do some snorkeling while at the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns (overnight on Rhapsody), and see New Zealand. Also, as an added bonus, taking the cruise on Rhapsody to Vanuatu and New Caledonia. Anyone know how these islands differ or compare to French Polynesian Islands such as Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora?

Hi debhomespun! Personally, I think option 1 definitely sounds lie the better plan. From the sounds of it, you'll get to experience so many different things while you're down our way (Sydney, Barrier Reef and QLD, Pacific Islands AND New Zealand). Plus, I don't think you'll have too many problems with school kids. They head back towards the end of January and most parents wouldn't take them away that close to the start of the new school year.

Plus, you're right about the airfare situation. It's more than likely going to be more beneficial to book a return ticket to Sydney, than it would be to pay a one way to Sydney and then a one way from Auckland. That's just my opinion though. :)

I have been researching for our trip to Australia and New Zealand for some time now. We have been looking at different options and I have come up with 2 different scenarios.

Some insight on us is we have cruised extensively throughout the Caribbean, been to Hawaii, and the South Pacific (French Polynesia, and LOVED IT!). We are Elite members with Celebrity, and would enjoy the "free laundry" perks. Also, will be Diamond Plus on RC, so again would get the "free laundry" perks which will help out so much on this trip.

Our first option was the original trip, but in doing more research, finding it is break time for Australia schools in January. Rethinking the trip with the second option. I would like to get some feedback please.

First option is fly to Sydney in Jan/14, and sail RC Voyager (1/24/14)n 11 night to NZ visiting the South Island, then spending 7 nights in Sydney. We would then board RC Rhapsody (2/11/14) for an 11 night cruising to the Great Barrier Reef area. Also considering staying on Rhapsody for a B2B and doing the 12 night (2/22/14) over to Vanuatu and New Caledonia Islands. We would then fly home from Sydney. This option allows us to purchase a round trip air ticket from the US to Sydney and back home again.

The second option is flying into Sydney in February to board the RC Rhapsody 11 night (2/11/14) and coming in a couple days early to acclamate to the time change and tour Sydney a little. We would then stay on for the B2B on RC Rhapsody (2/22/14) to Vanuatu and New Caledonia (I love Islands, we have been to South Pacific French Polynesia and loved them!). We would then disembark Rhapsody and stay 4 night in Sydney for touring. Then, we would board Celebrity Solstice for the 12 night (3/10/14) cruise from Sydney over to NZ and visiting both South Island and North Island, ending in Auckland. We would then fly home from Auckland. My concern with option 2 is the airfare cost from US to Sydney, then back home from Auckland. Would this be significantly more money? I am leaning towards this second option to see more of NZ while in this part of the world.

Any thoughts and comments as to my planning would be very welcomed! Our objectives are to do some touring in Sydney, visit the Lone Pine Sanctuary while in Brisbane, do some snorkeling while at the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns (overnight on Rhapsody), and see New Zealand. Also, as an added bonus, taking the cruise on Rhapsody to Vanuatu and New Caledonia. Anyone know how these islands differ or compare to French Polynesian Islands such as Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora?

HI Deb...I like both ideas (of course). But if you are worried about one way flights...have you thought about taking an "internal" flight from Auckland back to Sydney and then flying home? Our local budget airline, Jetstar, has specials frequently and maybe if you catch one of the specials it may work for you. One concern from that though may be the luggage allowance. If you check the Jetstar site daily for awhil you can get the flight as cheap as $139 per person Auckland to Sydney. When making a booking you can select baggage allowance of 40kg for $60.00 (per person) as an example. It allows you to select between 15kg, 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40kg. (40 kg = about 88 lbs).

As the other poster said...regarding the kids being out of school. They do go back at the end of January. In 2014 in Sydney and Queensland they go back 29 January. By the day of your cruise, it will be almost time for them to go back to school.

I have not been to French Polynesia, but went to Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Fiji earlier this year on the Volendam. Those islands were pretty and relaxing. One place we went was Isle of Pines and boy was the sand soft!! Like walking on baby powder.

Hope this helps you and I wish you luck on your decision. I know you will enjoy whichever you choose! :)

Barbara

On my (2) trips to Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora I have taken tours to enjoy the wonderful scenery and views of these islands. I did have one beach visit in Bora Bora as well.

The islands you will visit in our part of the South Pacific do not have the same scenic tours, but are more for enjoyment of the local life of the people.

Noumea is a small city, as is Vila, but Mystery Island, Champagne Bay, Mare and Isle of Pines more small island beaches where you can spend the day snorkling, swimming and generally relaxing. The locals have stalls, but unlike those in the Caribbean, the goods for sale are not mass produced, but generally made by the locals themselves. The exception is probably the sarongs. A totally different experience from either Caribbean or Tahitian islands.

Option 1 sounds delightful and gives a wide variety of ports

Although I did like the recommendation of catching a local flight back to Sydney from Auckland with option 2.

School kids would be minimal to nil, I assume due to school commencing end of January!

Have fun down under and please come back to tell us how you enjoyed your time here

B&B :D

Hi Deb,

I have been to Tahiti & recently sailed back to the Pacific islands on Radiance, they are all a little different.

I found Tahiti to have that idyllic south sea island look & some of the Pacific islands are like that, but there are also many unique ones like the Isle Of Pines.

We had some of the best reef snorkelling at Lifou very close to shore (I'm a scuba diver so have seen a lot of reefs etc), also good snorkelling on Mystery Island & Vanuatu.

A visit to the cascade falls in Vila is worth doing.

Noumea is the least exciting of all the Pacific Island ports for me, more urban.

I also would suggest choosing Radiance over Rhapsody if given the choice as she has an amazing amount of glass walls for fantastic views, also a tad larger & more spacious.

Be aware that NZ is quite far south & can be cold even in Summer, especially in the South Island.

I would avoid Sydney during January if you prefer less crowds as not only is it school holidays it is also the New Year celebrations which attracts a lot of visitors & also Australia Day holiday on the 26th Jan (4th of July equivalent) which is also a busy time in Sydney.

But the flip side is of course it's an exciting time to be in town.:)

If your NZ cruise also makes a stop at Melbourne or our island state of Tasmania it will give you an opportunity to see a little more of Australia at no extra cost, so something to consider also.

I don't think you will go wrong with either itinery to be honest, just comes down more to airfare costing by the sounds of it.

Thank you for all of your insight! We need to get together with the other couple and talk about the pros and cons of each trip. I will stick with Rhapsody, as we want to do the Feb. 11, 2014 11 night sailing that does Cairns overnight, so we can optimize our time at the Great Barrier Reef. We have sailed Radiance before (and Serenade), and they are wonderful ships. I am leaning towards option 2 as we would get to see more of NZ this way, and will look at airfare from Auckland home vs. flying back to Sydney, and home from there.

Two things that you should at least think about - are that firstly, it will be VERY hot and humid in New Caledonia/Vanuatu in February (far too hot for me, born and bred in Queensland) - and also February is prime time for cyclones in that area.

Barry

Thank you for all of your insight! We need to get together with the other couple and talk about the pros and cons of each trip. I will stick with Rhapsody, as we want to do the Feb. 11, 2014 11 night sailing that does Cairns overnight, so we can optimize our time at the Great Barrier Reef. We have sailed Radiance before (and Serenade), and they are wonderful ships. I am leaning towards option 2 as we would get to see more of NZ this way, and will look at airfare from Auckland home vs. flying back to Sydney, and home from there.

I have bad news for you: the Feb. 11, 2014 Rhapsody of the Seas Queensland cruise is now an 11-night South Pacific cruise! http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?packageCode=RH11K028 I was booked on the Queensland cruise, and noticed yesterday that RCI completely changed the itinerary of this sold-out ship.

I have bad news for you: the Feb. 11, 2014 Rhapsody of the Seas Queensland cruise is now an 11-night South Pacific cruise! http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?packageCode=RH11K028 I was booked on the Queensland cruise, and noticed yesterday that RCI completely changed the itinerary of this sold-out ship.

In fact, the RCI site is showing no Queensland cruises in January/February 2014 so you may need to look at someone else or possibly flying up to Cairns and staying for a few days to visit the reef.

I can imagine anyone who had already booked will be less than impressed with the change.

Two things that you should at least think about - are that firstly, it will be VERY hot and humid in New Caledonia/Vanuatu in February (far too hot for me, born and bred in Queensland) - and also February is prime time for cyclones in that area.

Barry

I agree with Barry & also a Queenslander, way to hot & humid. We wouldnt do that kind of trip until at least May-Oct. :)

That would not be good. Will you still do the cruise or can you swap it.

That would not be good. Will you still do the cruise or can you swap it.

I am not interested in this new itinerary, but I haven't been notified by RCI about any options. I will either cancel it or move it to something else.

I will be on a Celebrity Sydney to Auckland cruise just before this, so my plans are to spend more time in NZ on a land trip

I agree with Barry & also a Queenslander, way to hot & humid. We wouldnt do that kind of trip until at least May-Oct. :)

not much difference with the ships cruising up the east coast to Cairns november to february....too hot and humid for us

Thanks for the heads up on the change in itinerary. I hadn't booked this cruise yet. I was still trying to put together our itinerary for visiting. This cruise was to give us the time to see the Great Barrier Reef. Guess I need to go back to square one to begin planning again. Jan/Feb/Mar is the best time in our schedule to visit your area. I know it is cyclone season in the South Pacific this time of year. We do not have the availability to come over long term in the Oct/Nov/Dec timeframe. We may have to wait 1 more year to make our trip over. I thought I had it all planned out, just trying to decide which cruises to put together. Now I am back to figuring out when, and what way we will make our visit! :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the heads up on the change in itinerary. I hadn't booked this cruise yet. I was still trying to put together our itinerary for visiting. This cruise was to give us the time to see the Great Barrier Reef. Guess I need to go back to square one to begin planning again. Jan/Feb/Mar is the best time in our schedule to visit your area. I know it is cyclone season in the South Pacific this time of year. We do not have the availability to come over long term in the Oct/Nov/Dec timeframe. We may have to wait 1 more year to make our trip over. I thought I had it all planned out, just trying to decide which cruises to put together. Now I am back to figuring out when, and what way we will make our visit! :eek: :eek:

You would not have been able to book this cruise, even if the itinerary hadn't changed, because it had been listed as "N/A" since Thanksgiving. I asked my travel agent to find out what was going on, because I was afraid of getting bumped off a chartered cruise. The agent said there was "no inventory" left for this cruise, so a large group must've booked the remaining cabins.

Good luck as you go back to the drawing board!

In fact, the RCI site is showing no Queensland cruises in January/February 2014 so you may need to look at someone else or possibly flying up to Cairns and staying for a few days to visit the reef.

I can imagine anyone who had already booked will be less than impressed with the change.

RCI's site still shows Queensland cruises on January 12 (Rhapsody) and January 19 (Radiance).

There is also a Queensland cruise in March on Rhapsody....but it won't work in our schedule. We have a work obligation the first weekend of April. The problem with Rhapsody in Jan is the short overnight in Cairns.. The Radiance doesn't even stop at Cairns. We will have to do some replanning. Thanks for all the input. It is appreciated so much!

We may rethink our trip and do a land portion to the Great Barrier Reef area, then cruise to NZ.

Looks like the Jan 19 is not suitable as it an 8 day cruise that does not take in Cairns/Port Douglas. It only goes to Airlie Beach (Whitsundays). The one on Jan 12 has an overnight in Cairns which was the original itinerary that was changed for the February cruise.

You would not have been able to book this cruise, even if the itinerary hadn't changed, because it had been listed as "N/A" since Thanksgiving. I asked my travel agent to find out what was going on, because I was afraid of getting bumped off a chartered cruise. The agent said there was "no inventory" left for this cruise, so a large group must've booked the remaining cabins.

Good luck as you go back to the drawing board!

Checking this cruise today (12/31) - it can be booked once again on RCI's site. I guess there was "no inventory" only while RCI decided what to do about the itinerary.

Archived