FoS makes UK Press

Glad to see I'm not the only one horrified that a poster referred to being gay as a "life choice/circumstance."

I did not say that being gay was a choice or not (I personally believe it is not). I myself am bi. It is however a circumstance that one cannot avoid. How you choose to display it publicly however, is a choice. Just as with any couple (straight or gay) you should choose carefully how you choose to display affections when in front of groups of people you do not know. When my friends and I go out it is often not advertised what sexuality or even makeup of the couple(s) are (such as my poly friends who often go out in trios). If you choose to display it then the reality is there will be people who are going to protest and harass you for it, but you could just as easily be harassed for many other reasons. it could have been a christian extremist group (can we say westboro?) being just as bad towards the couple in question so it seemed a bit unfair to blame it on "bikers". If it wasn't meant to be biased towards that group of people then the statement should have just been made that whenever any large group of people travel together you can encounter cliques and pack mentality resulting in being harassed.

That is alot of bikers and looks like they were the majority on the cruisers, however, all cruises have groups on board where the ship blocks sections or rooms for "private events". Every ship, regardless of cruiseline, does this.

Royal is knows for its belly flop, Miss Bicep, Sexiest Man, hairiest leg contests. And I have seen some complete strangers (female judges) getting very frisky with the competitors. I look forward to these fun afternoons, although I admit sometimes I cringe at the behavior, but its all good in the end. I've also seen some couples get amorous (no sex though) in the hot tubs and pools. She didn't exactly say she saw that so why its been reported is vague.

I sympathize for the complainant, although she and her kids look a little uptight in the pictures, and wonder if this was their first cruise. Cruising is no longer for the newlywed and nearly dead. She expected a cruise filled with retirees??? Where has she been the last 10 years. I think it was nice of Royal to give them anything.

I wouldn't consider the Daily Mail anything like the National Enquirer which, according to Wikipedia is considered a supermarket tabloid. The Daily Mail is a daily national newspaper, although also considered a tabloid, but a middle market one, whatever that means :D

They got a full credit for a future cruise, so they just need to be careful next time, not bad though 2 cruises for the price of 1

As both a stockholder and frequent cruiser of Royal Caribbean, *I* think that this outcome is horrid.

I just got off a cruise on the Enchantment. Everywhere I looked: Christmas, Christmas, Christmas. One of the trivias was Christmas themed! All of the movies were Christmas themed! Instead of the usual activities, there was carol rehearsing, carol practicing, and caroling! There were people wearing hideous reindeer sweatshirts and elf pajama bottoms! Crew members were wearing Santa hats. Passengers had antlers!

It completely took over the cruise.

Oh, and because it was too cold to be outside, the sexiest man contest was held in Boleros. BOLEROS. What if I wanted to get a drink in Boleros?

Did I demand compensation? This is not your usual Royal Caribbean cruise.

See how ridiculous this sounds?

I am appalled that Royal Caribbean compensated them financially. Simply appalled. Horrid precedent.

Oh. Happy New Year. :rolleyes:

:D

As both a stockholder and frequent cruiser of Royal Caribbean, *I* think that this outcome is horrid.

I am appalled that Royal Caribbean compensated them financially. Simply appalled. Horrid precedent.

Well I assume as a stockholder you have the ability to raise your concerns at the next stockholders meeting. Therefore, may I suggest that perhaps you should table your objections to the way RCI treat passengers to ensure customer satisfaction at your earliest opportunity.

Oh and BTW, I was only stating facts, I didn't say I agreed with the outcome, but the way you highlighted my post could give out the wrong signal to readers of this thread.

Our first ever cruise was on the beautiful Mariner of the Seas and half of the ship had been chartered to Hogs on the High Seas. It was the WORST experience of my life. While I'm sure there are many very nice 'hogs' we got bullied and abused for a full 7 days for being gay. I can't tell you the names we were called at least once every hour if we were out and about. All from the hogs cliques. Neither of us 'looks' gay nor are camp or effeminate. I used to think - how do they know ???? We also had an incident where I went to the pool bar and 4 hogs started shouting at the bar staff to wash the glasses well so they don't catch fag disease !! There was another incident where my partner got in the solarium pool and all but one person got out. We ended up staying in our cabin nearly 24/7 for the last 3 days. We even ate room service rather than Windjammer or MDR. While disembarking and chatting to people in line we did find out a small contingent of hogs had decided to use us for 'fun' that week and due to the 'pack mentality' others followed and after a couple of days a decent sized group were looking out for us to 'make good sport'. Thankfully when we got back onboard (as it was B2B) we had an amazing, fantastic 2nd week.

O.M.G

I am so sorry you had such a negative experience during the first part of your vacation. Homophobia is totally unacceptable and to be placed in a position where your daily lives were so seriously impacted is disgraceful. The ignorance of some people really disappoints me.

I did not say that being gay was a choice or not (I personally believe it is not). I myself am bi. It is however a circumstance that one cannot avoid. How you choose to display it publicly however, is a choice. Just as with any couple (straight or gay) you should choose carefully how you choose to display affections when in front of groups of people you do not know. When my friends and I go out it is often not advertised what sexuality or even makeup of the couple(s) are (such as my poly friends who often go out in trios). If you choose to display it then the reality is there will be people who are going to protest and harass you for it, but you could just as easily be harassed for many other reasons. it could have been a christian extremist group (can we say westboro?) being just as bad towards the couple in question so it seemed a bit unfair to blame it on "bikers". If it wasn't meant to be biased towards that group of people then the statement should have just been made that whenever any large group of people travel together you can encounter cliques and pack mentality resulting in being harassed.

Why is that do you think? I have no problem with Public Diplays of Affection, same sex or otherwise. Asserting love and commitment should never been seen as something distasteful IMO. I do draw the line at engaging in certain acts in public though...... ;)

High Seas Rally/Hogs at Sea will be on the Freedom nov 3-10 next year. Their website says all their cabins are sold out, but there are still balconies and under showing on Royal's site.

A simple google search shows a swingers cruise the week after (11/10/13), but they chartered the entire ship.

I've learned from CC to google to see if any large groups will be on my cruise.

I'm surprised that no one has remarked on where the pictures in the Daily Mail came from. Unless the Daily Mail had a photographer on this particular cruise [yeah, right], the likely source of the photos is the complainers, who would certainly have had to shove to the front to get those shots.:eek: Not that I smell a scam for reimbursement, or anything.:cool:

Thom

I was on that cruise. I too question where the pictures came from. Having been on 5 of the High Seas Rally cruises I have never seen any problems. As for no room on Labadee the nearest people to my group was around 50 feet away. I don't remember the ship leaving 2 hours late because it had to wait for people.

WOW!

This lady and her family are my new HEROS!

I sure hope there's some sort of photogenic, anti-social, large group on my next cruise. Those Red Hat ladies and Quilting Bee ruffians come to mind.

I'll remember to take a camera to document the outrageous behaviors occurring and call my local newpaper right after I return home to complain about the mis-treatment from my cruise line for not informing me that I would be cruising with a group of "those" people.:(

Note to Self

Only show the reporter photos of all the other people having fun. If I'm in a photo make sure to frown and hide the martini glass.

To make sure the newspaper gets a good visual of my disgusted self, suck on a lemon before the photo shoot. Oh, and rent a couple of forlorn looking younger kids too, the newshounds love that family look!

Make sure the reporter has the right phone number at the cruise line. Take no chances that they will speak to somebody there who actually has a spine.

There you go - a nice free cruise will be on its way!

All I can say is WOW! Does she think if she had been on another cruise that someone wouldn't have upset her there as well.

There will people everywhere that will not please you in some way. Sounds like the lady in the article wanted to complain about something. Belly flop contest are held on every cruise as well as the sexy leg contest and other contest. And I agree with one poster. Had she went to quest that would have been the end of her.

High seas rally does a lot of good work for dialysis patients and raise a lot of money.

As far as dinner their formal night is leather and the rest of the nights are usually tshirts. But they are also just on one floor of the dinning room so it doesn't take away the experience for anyone else. The waiters luv these cruises as well. The bikers bring them shirts and they get to wear them.

Yes they pay much more for the rooms. And the money that is raised is unbelievable. Maybe if she wasn't such a prude she would have found out that most of these people are good people

Our first ever cruise was on the beautiful Mariner of the Seas and half of the ship had been chartered to Hogs on the High Seas. It was the WORST experience of my life. While I'm sure there are many very nice 'hogs' we got bullied and abused for a full 7 days for being gay. I can't tell you the names we were called at least once every hour if we were out and about. All from the hogs cliques. Neither of us 'looks' gay nor are camp or effeminate. I used to think - how do they know ???? We also had an incident where I went to the pool bar and 4 hogs started shouting at the bar staff to wash the glasses well so they don't catch fag disease !! There was another incident where my partner got in the solarium pool and all but one person got out. We ended up staying in our cabin nearly 24/7 for the last 3 days. We even ate room service rather than Windjammer or MDR. While disembarking and chatting to people in line we did find out a small contingent of hogs had decided to use us for 'fun' that week and due to the 'pack mentality' others followed and after a couple of days a decent sized group were looking out for us to 'make good sport'. Thankfully when we got back onboard (as it was B2B) we had an amazing, fantastic 2nd week.

:eek: That is horrific!! How could these people treat someone that way?

Please tell me you reported those idiots to security?? Nobody has the right to ruin your cruise!!

Well... Except for Mr Noro maybe :D

WOW!

This lady and her family are my new HEROS!

I sure hope there's some sort of photogenic, anti-social, large group on my next cruise. Those Red Hat ladies and Quilting Bee ruffians come to mind.

I'll remember to take a camera to document the outrageous behaviors occurring and call my local newpaper right after I return home to complain about the mis-treatment from my cruise line for not informing me that I would be cruising with a group of "those" people.:(

Note to Self

Only show the reporter photos of all the other people having fun. If I'm in a photo make sure to frown and hide the martini glass.

To make sure the newspaper gets a good visual of my disgusted self, suck on a lemon before the photo shoot. Oh, and rent a couple of forlorn looking younger kids too, the newshounds love that family look!

Make sure the reporter has the right phone number at the cruise line. Take no chances that they will speak to somebody there who actually has a spine.

There you go - a nice free cruise will be on its way!

lol

Archived