Breakaway Aft Facing Penthouse (S6) question

topanga49er

If your in an aft room you'll have fantastic views of everything from your balcony at sail away :)

I thought about this but wondered what we'd be missing. Sail away party at spice. I think I read there might be a Haven sail away party. What else? Maybe we have time to attend these briefly and then go to our balcony? Or should we do the opposite?

Be good to that suite -- we're in her when you leave :)

You're sailing with my mother in law (5/26/13). She's sailing in a balcony room but is determined to get a look at our s6 (sailing 10/05/14)!!! I kept thinking it was so she could tell me about it (I've seen so many pics and videos here though) but now I realize she wants to see it in person for herself! Lol I should get her to join CC so she can participate in a cabin crawl! Lol

I thought about this but wondered what we'd be missing. Sail away party at spice. I think I read there might be a Haven sail away party. What else? Maybe we have time to attend these briefly and then go to our balcony? Or should we do the opposite?

When I sailed on the Jewel in Feb from NY I stayed on my aft balcony. It was 38 degrees at sail away and I didn't want to be on the top deck. Too cold lol less wind on my balcony. I live in Staten Island so a ferry ride I can see the Statue of Liberty. My upcoming Aug cruise I will prob go up top to the Haven sail away party bc my balcony is on the side this time (star board).

Thank you all for the fantastic photos and videos! It is amazing to finally see what these cabins look like instead of speculating ;)

My ds1 put it in perspective, he asked if we could all play tag on the balcony ;). I'm just excited to have space for all 4 of us to eat a meal on the balcony!

Do you know the sqft for the one on 10 - that we have the photos of??

Technically no. But I have the sqft range for these balconies here;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkRUeqCmOMnGdFZWTVVzZndrc0NkN1N0TGpZb2ZYU2c&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Looking at the new deck 10 balcony photo/video it looks 8-9 feet deep near the divider, but 13-15 deep as the balcony nears the portside, as the cabin wall angles. Looks 22 - 25 wide. So visual calculations are difficult. But of course I'll guess. Also remember the decks from largest to smallest; 9,12,11,10,14,13.

My guess 210 -240 sqft

Also I'll gander ncl and others do count the unusable space under angled rail in their total sqft calculations fwiw.

If 10 is that size, than it is possible 9, as the largest, could be 394 sqft as listed in Doc.

I didn't make these #'s up listed in Doc. They can from NCL in one country or another. ;)

I knew these balconies would be inviting, but wow, the size is daunting.

Just a reminder folks, the deeper the balcony the less natural light enters the cabin. I know this is important to many. Just thought I would remind.

:)

Edited by bear3412

......My ds1 put it in perspective' date=' he asked if we could all play tag on the balcony ;). I'm just excited to have space for all 4 of us to eat a meal on the balcony![/quote']

lol. Yeah, ..... bring tricycles for the little ones. :D

And full size bicycles for the big ones on deck 9. :eek:

These S6 cabin prices are going to rocket faster than Ocean Blue :(

Yeah, I had to tell him the mini sticks (to play hockey) had to stay at home ;)

I imagine this may be the last time we will be in a s6, they may turn out to be valuable real estate! The only downside is the distance from the Haven, and potential difficulties getting meals delivered for in-suite dining, but I'm ok with that.

Just a reminder folks, the deeper the balcony the less natural light enters the cabin. I know this is important to many. Just thought I would remind.

:)

I DID think about this and am very anxious to see the inside of 12904...And/or a review!

...foldable razor scooters!!!

You're sailing with my mother in law (5/26/13). She's sailing in a balcony room but is determined to get a look at our s6 (sailing 10/05/14)!!! I kept thinking it was so she could tell me about it (I've seen so many pics and videos here though) but now I realize she wants to see it in person for herself! Lol I should get her to join CC so she can participate in a cabin crawl! Lol

You could probably sign her up to do the Meet and Great and cabin crawl. But my S6 is the only one on the list.

Hi Everyone!

We're die-hard Gem lovers; however, after swearing I wouldn't cruise the Breakaway due to the size of the ship, for 2015 I'm thinking of the Breakaway (since then we can do 3 one-week cruises so I get to go on one for my birthday that year in June since it will be a "biggie" for me :eek:).

My concern is that we don't like the layout of the S5 in the Haven (appears to not have a dining table - deal-breaker for us).

The S6 looks beyond perfect - except for the distance involved being aft to The Haven, etc. (we have done aft suites on HAL and loved them). We tend to spend a lot of time in our suite anyway - and that larger balcony would be just so super!

My question is - has anyone had experience/heard of the butler and en-suite dining?

To explain, my DH is on oxygen and would have to probably use a scooter more if we take an aft suite (he's OK on the Gem without it but the Haven is more centrally located and the ship is smaller). I just don't want to hype this to him only to find out there are any service issues with a Haven Suite that's aft and not in the Haven itself.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

We're die-hard Gem lovers; however, after swearing I wouldn't cruise the Breakaway due to the size of the ship, for 2015 I'm thinking of the Breakaway (since then we can do 3 one-week cruises so I get to go on one for my birthday that year in June since it will be a "biggie" for me :eek:).

My concern is that we don't like the layout of the S5 in the Haven (appears to not have a dining table - deal-breaker for us).

The S6 looks beyond perfect - except for the distance involved being aft to The Haven, etc. (we have done aft suites on HAL and loved them). We tend to spend a lot of time in our suite anyway - and that larger balcony would be just so super!

My question is - has anyone had experience/heard of the butler and en-suite dining?

To explain, my DH is on oxygen and would have to probably use a scooter more if we take an aft suite (he's OK on the Gem without it but the Haven is more centrally located and the ship is smaller). I just don't want to hype this to him only to find out there are any service issues with a Haven Suite that's aft and not in the Haven itself.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

We've never had a problem in the past in an aft. We're in the S6 cabin June 9th, I can give you more answers then. I am bringing my scooter, with a bad knee, I know it'll be to far to walk, rather hop on and off it.

Pat :)

All suites should receive the same butler attention, regardless of their location on the ship.

My only thought and concern for you is scooter/chair access through the S6 cabin entrance door from hallway. Sounds like that may work out for you all though, if I understand DH does have some mobility. Someone mentioned that one of the S6 layouts, the entry turned, no way any scooter/chair would make that turn.

Edited by bear3412

We've never had a problem in the past in an aft. We're in the S6 cabin June 9th, I can give you more answers then. I am bringing my scooter, with a bad knee, I know it'll be to far to walk, rather hop on and off it.

Pat :)

Thanks Pat. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to book within the next day or two but I'll look forward to reading any updates when you get back!

Bear3412 - Do you remember which S6 had the "turn" in the entry? I'm looking/searching on it - but can't seem to find the mention (too early, not enough coffee LOL). My DH can walk with no problems - it's distance that is the issue with the oxygen (actually, the "outbound" trip would be fine, but if he were to totally tucker out, getting back to the room would be a mess). The scooter allows him independence. He really never uses on the ship - just for when we go around ports. So, it's sort of a blow to him that he'll need to rely on it. But, he seems to be warming up to the idea a bit since he's looked at the available pictures (and, given the large deck, it would be a welcome change from the cramped balcony of the S5 on the Gem).

We met people at a CC gathering who had some issues with their butler not wanting to deliver anything to them - they were in an aft on the Gem. I'm hoping since the S6 is a "Haven" category, this may not be an issue. We aren't the "call/ask" kind of people. We set up breakfast as a standing order type of thing and if we do a few dinners, those we give at least a day or two notice on and are pretty flexible on time, etc. We're just happy that someone is cooking and cleaning up for us! :D (OK, so *I'm* happy about that!)

Thanks!

Bear - I did see the mention of the entryway into the S6. I have DH looking at the videos to see what he thinks of it (since he's the "driver" of the scooter). I think, with the 2nd bathroom (or 1/2 bath) open - it would give room to move a bit. But, he'll check it out. Then again, DH can parallel park the scooter and back it into a room too. He's such a show-off! :D (and, no, he doesn't own one at home - only uses it one or two days a year when we cruise!)

EDITED - I just looked at the Deck Plans and on Deck 10 - the S6 appears to have a "wider" entry way. Does anyone know if that is correct? Thanks!

Edited by Frick_&_Frack

Bear - I did see the mention of the entryway into the S6. I have DH looking at the videos to see what he thinks of it (since he's the "driver" of the scooter). I think, with the 2nd bathroom (or 1/2 bath) open - it would give room to move a bit. But, he'll check it out. Then again, DH can parallel park the scooter and back it into a room too. He's such a show-off! :D (and, no, he doesn't own one at home - only uses it one or two days a year when we cruise!)

EDITED - I just looked at the Deck Plans and on Deck 10 - the S6 appears to have a "wider" entry way. Does anyone know if that is correct? Thanks!

This is a video from deck 10 S6, shot by Shaun currently on the ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38GB9iKUjio

This is a video from deck 10 S6, shot by Shaun currently on the ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38GB9iKUjio

Thanks! That's the video I watched which made me go back and look at the deck plans (since the entry appeared different than the video of the S6 on 13). :)

We are such creatures of habit that once we find a suite that works for us, we only book the same one (then we know where everything fits such as the oxygen concentrator, etc.). Switching up ships makes us crazy (well, me, since I have to do all the research). ;)

Thanks again!!

In all seriousness, does anyone know if shaun or gambee took their tape measures with them? :)

We are in a S6 on deck 10 this coming weekend and i'll check it out again. On the 2-night the deck 13 S6 was open and we toured it. The doorway was narrow and once in you had to immediately turn to go to the living room area. We have an adult chair in a large electric wheelchair and are always checking out doorways, etc. for his ability to join us. Both hubby and I thought that we wouldn't be able to get him into our suite, even using his smaller manual chair.

We're doing a family cruise on her next March and have a deck 12 S6 booked along with 3 of the B1 balconies beside it, including the HC. At this point in time we're thinking that happy hour may have to be moved from the suite into his B1 or maybe we can hope to get the balcony dividers open. Time will tell, the normal doorways are 26" wide and the S6 looked the same.

I just got out a tape measure and will pack it for the cruise.

Thanks! That's the video I watched which made me go back and look at the deck plans (since the entry appeared different than the video of the S6 on 13). :)

We are such creatures of habit that once we find a suite that works for us, we only book the same one (then we know where everything fits such as the oxygen concentrator, etc.). Switching up ships makes us crazy (well, me, since I have to do all the research). ;)

Thanks again!!

Have you seen pictures of the penthouse HC in the Haven itself? That was really nice!

http://breakaway2.shutterfly.com/pictures/239#256

Edited by Bobbye

We are in a S6 on deck 10 this coming weekend and i'll check it out again. On the 2-night the deck 13 S6 was open and we toured it. The doorway was narrow and once in you had to immediately turn to go to the living room area. We have an adult chair in a large electric wheelchair and are always checking out doorways, etc. for his ability to join us. Both hubby and I thought that we wouldn't be able to get him into our suite, even using his smaller manual chair.

We're doing a family cruise on her next March and have a deck 12 S6 booked along with 3 of the B1 balconies beside it, including the HC. At this point in time we're thinking that happy hour may have to be moved from the suite into his B1 or maybe we can hope to get the balcony dividers open. Time will tell, the normal doorways are 26" wide and the S6 looked the same.

I just got out a tape measure and will pack it for the cruise.

Have you seen pictures of the penthouse HC in the Haven itself? That was really nice!

Thanks Bobbye. Since the sale I'm working with my T.A. on ends before you leave, I may have to bite the bullet and book and then cancel or move or something. I hate to lose money, but may not have a choice to get the deal I'm sorting out.

Which is the HC Penthouse in the Haven? I'm looking at the deck plans but cannot seem to locate it since none of them appear to have the marking on them? DH doesn't really need the HC suite (at least of of today), but it may be worth just looking at.

Thanks!!

EDITED - Is it 16128? If so, I think that's an S5 - which doesn't appear to have a dining table and that's a deal-breaker for us (with the oxygen, the mornings are set for various meds and stuff - so breakfast in the room is a must).

Edited by Frick_&_Frack