Incredibly Long Breeze NYE cruise review Dec. 30/12-Jan. 5/13.

bluenoser2

You know how you make those statements about “I’ll never....”, or “You won’t catch me.....”? Yeah. Me too. Right up there with, I’ll never get married in June (I did), I’ll never have THAT many kids...(I did)...is the statement “I’ll never try to fly anywhere at Christmas time, and you certainly won’t catch me trying to go on a New Year’s Eve Cruise when the prices are higher and it’s so stressful thinking about getting to the port.”

You should know that I live in Canada. Where it snows. Anytime. However, the intrepid DH assured me we could do this. Yes, we....all ...six...well, seven of us. We dubbed this trip The Group of Seven Takes NYE. After 6 months of keeping it a complete secret from our 3 (of 4) kids, aged 23, 17 and 15, we spilled the proverbial beans to them via a splendidly produced Powerpoint production on Christmas Eve. We even had the video recorder hidden to record their surprise, delight and amazement at what awesome parents they had. The other adult in the group was my DH’s 81 year old dad. He knew about it. You don’t want to surprise your 81 year old father with a Cruise on Christmas. He managed to keep the secret fairly well, though days before we left, he entered our kitchen, gave my son a hug, saying “hey, roomy....”. Sigh. Well, their reactions ranged from confused looks to tears and “I THOUGHT WE WERE GOING TO NYC for NYE!!!! I DON’T KNOW HOW TO PACK FOR SUMMER......I CAN’T DO THIS!!!!” (That’d be the 17 year old DD.) Well, after the histrionics subsided a bit, and she had her suitcase almost packed, Santa Claus definitely taking a back seat this year (as he always does – she’s been a cynic since the age of 2), she managed to show some excitement and even some cautious delight. Our 15 year old, once she managed to close her awestruck open mouth, simply said something the likes of “cool, this is SO much better than New York.” And the 23 year old son, simply looked rather relieved, as the prospect of spending hours and hours without washroom, or somewhere to sit in Times Square on NYE hadn’t appealed to him.

So it was that on Boxing Day we headed to Halifax, spent the night in the Airport Hotel so we could avoid starting out at 3:00 a.m. from our house, and then arrived at the airport not-so-bright but plenty early on the 27th. We were flying Delta, the airline that had whimsically changed our flights not once, not twice, but 6 times over the past several months. They changed times, they changed routes, they changed days. So where we had originally planned to get in 2 days before the cruise, we were heading there 3 days ahead. Merry Christmas. So, there was a big storm a-brewing in Nova Scotia, and we watched as the flight to Boston was cancelled, and waited with stomachs churning until we saw the crew for our flight arrive, and we indeed were able to board the plane. With great relief we soared off to NYC La Guardia, happy in the fact that DH wouldn’t have to drive to Florida through storms to ensure our arrival in Miami before the cruise departed. Everything was on time, we made our flight to FLL, and amazingly, there were no glitches in our travelling adventures. We had even somehow managed to get First Class seats on the flight from NYC to FLL!

We easily managed to find our way to the Budget car rental at FLL, where a most wonderful rental agent greeted my husband. I was becoming a little worried that they had lost our van, or something hadn’t gone right, but then I realized that the agent, Margo, was smiling, and no one seemed put out....then I just felt left out...me standing with all those bags. Well, not ALL those bags – we stuck to our CARRY-ON only rule, and managed to get everything we needed for our 10 days-away in our small suitcases. We rock. Well, it turned out that Margo was from Ochos Rios and when she discovered that was one of our stops, she was writing down all the things we MUST do and eat while in Jamaica.

Well, we got our van, and drove without incident to the Holiday Inn and Express Suites – Fort Lauderdale Airport West.

bth_100_9644_zpscaabdd44.jpg?t=1357910187

bth_100_9722_zps56628e83.jpg

We had the Presidential Suite, and we really enjoyed our stay there.

bth_100_9641_zpscaeb439e.jpg

(In case you thought I had a math handicap, may I present, the 7th member of The Group of Seven, Florence Stripes.)

While in Fort Lauderdale, we visited the Museum of Discovery and Science, had a great lunch at the Briny Irish Pub on the riverfront. We tried to look nonchalant whilst secretly saying things like “CAN YOU BELIEVE we’re actually eating OUTSIDE .....IN DECEMBER?” Ok. I’ll be the first to admit we don’t get out much. Aside from the Son being a little disappointed that the “Dolphin Fingers” were actually Mahi Mahi, it was a fine time.

The next day was Everglades day and we went for an Airboat ride, saw lots of alligators and birds and everyone enjoyed their day.

bth_100_9675_zps4d001103.jpg

The Son tried Alligator Bites, and was not overly impressed with the taste, but kept to his motto of “Go Big or Go Home” at least in the eating venue. We drove through Miami Beach (yeah, Saturday in Miami Beach, what were we thinking). We did stop in North Miami Beach to enjoy a little time at the lovely beach there, and where parking was only pennies compared to the Valet parking we saw to begin with!

bth_100_9713_zpsdb8797fa.jpg

bth_100_9719_zpse1b63ba0.jpg

Finally. Cruise Day. DH, who likes to “go by the book” had been saying we shouldn’t get there before 1:00, to which I would usually sigh, or roll my eyes, or something equally supportive. After seeing the traffic on the Saturday, he decided early might not be such a bad idea, so we executed an early drive-by at the port, seeing all the sad looking people waiting for their shuttles to take them away from their home away from home. It would have been downright depressing if we hadn’t been kinda gloating about being the people just starting their vacay. We parked a little bit away from all that sadness, and walked around since we really were too early. Then, saying “Let’s DO This”, we were all dropped off at the curb at the port, while DH went to deliver the van back to the very crowded and line-infested Budget place. Upon discovering he was there just to return a vehicle, he was rushed to the front of the line, and was out of there very quickly, and even managed to hail a cab quickly (he doesn’t hail anything hardly ever), and $10 later he was back with us. We had arrived at the port at 10:55 and he was with us by 11:15, and we were on the ship by 11:40. There were no lineups at the port for us anywhere, we just had a couple of delays when the camera wouldn’t work for our room cards. All that was sorted out and you may have heard the sigh from my husband as we stepped on board – no matter where you live – you may have heard it – it was that .....happy.

Let the Cruise Fun Begin! Having boarded before noon, we were of course, FAMISHED. So, we did what most do, forage for food. We had been on the Dream before, so the kids were having a fine time comparing what was the same and what was different. They all LOVED the decor of the Breeze, and we had no problem with lineups at this point, being early and all. Because I wanted to be. Early. We checked out “Comfort Kitchen” where DD15 would be spending considerable time during the week getting chicken strips, her primary protein. We drooled a bit at the “Sweet Treats” area (not ON anything or anyone, don’t worry) and I settled on a Reuben from the Deli and everyone else found lots to eat as well. How would we manage to sample all of the food venues in 6 days? This was OUR First World dilemma of Day One. (Well, what else were we going to stress about now that we were safely out of snow country?)

Speaking of snow.....it had been somewhere in the 80s for our Florida days...until we boarded in Miami on the 30th. Then it decided to be in the 50s – with a whole lot of wind. I was beginning to regret having left my winter jacket back in the vehicle at the airport back home! In the no-doubt-snow-covered-vehicle at home.

bth_100_9753_zps6825faf5.jpg

(obligatory picture of our room, before we messed it up.)

We toured the upper decks for a few minutes, before going to our rooms on the 8th deck. Papa and The Son had a balcony room next to ours, and the DDs were happily camping out across the hall from us in an inside room. Other than almost losing DD17 for Muster Drill, we had no incidents this first day. Papa and The Son were at a different Muster station than we were, and apparently DD17 wanted her own private station, but she did eventually find her way to us. It’d be a shame to lose a family member so soon on the cruise.

The girls were excited to see their “first” dolphins “ever” in the port of Miami as we pulled out. Point of Order: They HAVE seen dolphins before, they just don’t remember it. Why do we go to all the trouble of giving our children awesome life experiences if they won’t even have the decency to remember them? It was the nicest sailaway for scenery we’ve attended – the Port of Miami is pretty spectacular to us country bumpkins from away, and getting to do it near sunset was a bonus!

bth_100_9757_zps779df716.jpg

bth_100_9761_zps2c10247e.jpg

bth_100_9763_zps78ce8f1d.jpg

bth_100_9765_zpsb615bb41.jpg

Our luggage didn’t arrive at our room until after supper, so there was no changing into nicer duds for this group. The ship was a bit rock’n’rolly but it wasn’t bothering anyone. DD17 had taken a precautionary gravol earlier, and was fine. We were seated at a table for 6 right away in Yourtime dining , lower level of Sapphire. We were really hoping for stellar waitstaff personnel, but while very efficient, our people weren’t meeting the high level of entertaining witty repartee our kids had come to know and love on the Dream in 2011. Papa had his first Chocolate Melting Cake. (This was his FIRST ever cruise, by the way.) Well, after that, he didn’t even look at a dessert menu for the rest of the cruise, and had it every night!

We met our room steward Jay, who was fantastic and magical at getting our rooms done when we weren’t in the area all week. We went to the Welcome Show, which wasn’t too exciting. “Latin Nights” was scheduled to be performed, but had to be postponed because of the rocky motion of the ship. Butch the CD improvised and actually provided some entertaining material with the help of a few guys from the audience.

Well, since we had only eaten twice since boarding, we did have to make our way back to Lido for bedtime snacks. Pizza had a huge lineup, so we opted for ice-cream instead. After everyone else had gone to their rooms DH and I discovered that the place where Tandoor Grill is in the daytime, has got some nice little snacks after 11 p.m. so I had my comfort food there.

bth_100_9768_zps5f344f2d.jpg?t=1357921768

You know how you make those statements about “I’ll never....”, or “You won’t catch me.....”? Yeah. Me too. Right up there with, I’ll never get married in June (I did), I’ll never have THAT many kids...(I did)...is the statement “I’ll never try to fly anywhere at Christmas time, and you certainly won’t catch me trying to go on a New Year’s Eve Cruise when the prices are higher and it’s so stressful thinking about getting to the port.”

You should know that I live in Canada. Where it snows. Anytime. However, the intrepid DH assured me we could do this. Yes, we....all ...six...well, seven of us. We dubbed this trip The Group of Seven Takes NYE. After 6 months of keeping it a complete secret from our 3 (of 4) kids, aged 23, 17 and 15, we spilled the proverbial beans to them via a splendidly produced Powerpoint production on Christmas Eve. We even had the video recorder hidden to record their surprise, delight and amazement at what awesome parents they had. The other adult in the group was my DH’s 81 year old dad. He knew about it. You don’t want to surprise your 81 year old father with a Cruise on Christmas. He managed to keep the secret fairly well, though days before we left, he entered our kitchen, gave my son a hug, saying “hey, roomy....”. Sigh. Well, their reactions ranged from confused looks to tears and “I THOUGHT WE WERE GOING TO NYC for NYE!!!! I DON’T KNOW HOW TO PACK FOR SUMMER......I CAN’T DO THIS!!!!” (That’d be the 17 year old DD.) Well, after the histrionics subsided a bit, and she had her suitcase almost packed, Santa Claus definitely taking a back seat this year (as he always does – she’s been a cynic since the age of 2), she managed to show some excitement and even some cautious delight. Our 15 year old, once she managed to close her awestruck open mouth, simply said something the likes of “cool, this is SO much better than New York.” And the 23 year old son, simply looked rather relieved, as the prospect of spending hours and hours without washroom, or somewhere to sit in Times Square on NYE hadn’t appealed to him.

So it was that on Boxing Day we headed to Halifax, spent the night in the Airport Hotel so we could avoid starting out at 3:00 a.m. from our house, and then arrived at the airport not-so-bright but plenty early on the 27th. We were flying Delta, the airline that had whimsically changed our flights not once, not twice, but 6 times over the past several months. They changed times, they changed routes, they changed days. So where we had originally planned to get in 2 days before the cruise, we were heading there 3 days ahead. Merry Christmas. So, there was a big storm a-brewing in Nova Scotia, and we watched as the flight to Boston was cancelled, and waited with stomachs churning until we saw the crew for our flight arrive, and we indeed were able to board the plane. With great relief we soared off to NYC La Guardia, happy in the fact that DH wouldn’t have to drive to Florida through storms to ensure our arrival in Miami before the cruise departed. Everything was on time, we made our flight to FLL, and amazingly, there were no glitches in our travelling adventures. We had even somehow managed to get First Class seats on the flight from NYC to FLL!

We easily managed to find our way to the Budget car rental at FLL, where a most wonderful rental agent greeted my husband. I was becoming a little worried that they had lost our van, or something hadn’t gone right, but then I realized that the agent, Margo, was smiling, and no one seemed put out....then I just felt left out...me standing with all those bags. Well, not ALL those bags – we stuck to our CARRY-ON only rule, and managed to get everything we needed for our 10 days-away in our small suitcases. We rock. Well, it turned out that Margo was from Ochos Rios and when she discovered that was one of our stops, she was writing down all the things we MUST do and eat while in Jamaica.

Well, we got our van, and drove without incident to the Holiday Inn and Express Suites – Fort Lauderdale Airport West.

bth_100_9644_zpscaabdd44.jpg?t=1357910187

bth_100_9722_zps56628e83.jpg

We had the Presidential Suite, and we really enjoyed our stay there.

bth_100_9641_zpscaeb439e.jpg

(In case you thought I had a math handicap, may I present, the 7th member of The Group of Seven, Florence Stripes.)

While in Fort Lauderdale, we visited the Museum of Discovery and Science, had a great lunch at the Briny Irish Pub on the riverfront. We tried to look nonchalant whilst secretly saying things like “CAN YOU BELIEVE we’re actually eating OUTSIDE .....IN DECEMBER?” Ok. I’ll be the first to admit we don’t get out much. Aside from the Son being a little disappointed that the “Dolphin Fingers” were actually Mahi Mahi, it was a fine time.

The next day was Everglades day and we went for an Airboat ride, saw lots of alligators and birds and everyone enjoyed their day.

bth_100_9675_zps4d001103.jpg

The Son tried Alligator Bites, and was not overly impressed with the taste, but kept to his motto of “Go Big or Go Home” at least in the eating venue. We drove through Miami Beach (yeah, Saturday in Miami Beach, what were we thinking). We did stop in North Miami Beach to enjoy a little time at the lovely beach there, and where parking was only pennies compared to the Valet parking we saw to begin with!

bth_100_9713_zpsdb8797fa.jpg

bth_100_9719_zpse1b63ba0.jpg

Finally. Cruise Day. DH, who likes to “go by the book” had been saying we shouldn’t get there before 1:00, to which I would usually sigh, or roll my eyes, or something equally supportive. After seeing the traffic on the Saturday, he decided early might not be such a bad idea, so we executed an early drive-by at the port, seeing all the sad looking people waiting for their shuttles to take them away from their home away from home. It would have been downright depressing if we hadn’t been kinda gloating about being the people just starting their vacay. We parked a little bit away from all that sadness, and walked around since we really were too early. Then, saying “Let’s DO This”, we were all dropped off at the curb at the port, while DH went to deliver the van back to the very crowded and line-infested Budget place. Upon discovering he was there just to return a vehicle, he was rushed to the front of the line, and was out of there very quickly, and even managed to hail a cab quickly (he doesn’t hail anything hardly ever), and $10 later he was back with us. We had arrived at the port at 10:55 and he was with us by 11:15, and we were on the ship by 11:40. There were no lineups at the port for us anywhere, we just had a couple of delays when the camera wouldn’t work for our room cards. All that was sorted out and you may have heard the sigh from my husband as we stepped on board – no matter where you live – you may have heard it – it was that .....happy.

Great review! Looking forward to more. We are going on the Feb 2 sail with my sister and her boy friend and two other friends. My sister's boy friend has never been on a cruise before. We are flying into FLL two days before and staying in my sister's condo. How far away was the drop off point for Budget and did they offer you a choice of shuttle. We are trying to decide if we should just drop it off in Fort Lauderdale and take a shuttle service down to Miami or drop the rental car in Miami. We were wondering if any of the rental services have a drop off close to the port.

Great review! Looking forward to more. We are going on the Feb 2 sail with my sister and her boy friend and two other friends. My sister's boy friend has never been on a cruise before. We are flying into FLL two days before and staying in my sister's condo. How far away was the drop off point for Budget and did they offer you a choice of shuttle. We are trying to decide if we should just drop it off in Fort Lauderdale and take a shuttle service down to Miami or drop the rental car in Miami. We were wondering if any of the rental services have a drop off close to the port.

As far as I know, there aren't any rental car places right at/near the port. For us, this was the easiest way to do the pre-cruise transportation, since we already had the rental van - the shuttle from FLL to the port would have been around $15 per person. Budget didn't have a shuttle to the port, but taxis were readily available with no waiting. The whole returning the vehicle and coming back to port for my DH took only 15 - 20 minutes.

Cruise Day 2:

DD15 wasn’t having much fun to begin with – a little headachy from the motion of the ship, but nothing that a dish of icecream with a garnish of ibuprofen couldn’t handle. Unfortunately, we couldn’t convince her of that until after lunch, but, I digress.

Winds were 70 km/h – sorry Americans, you’ll have to translate that yourselves. DH tried to do his 5 laps outside on Deck 5 – front wasn’t accessible so it was ALMOST 5 laps (I’m sure the wind draft must have given him extra exercise...but who am I to quibble, I stayed in bed, except for the part where I valiantly tried to lift weights – those water bottles just aren’t the same as my weights at home! And the bed was so inviting. Since DH and I are early risers we headed to lido for sustenance and shared a Breakfast burrito at Blue Iguana. Yummy. We had fruit to make ourselves feel virtuous, and then eventually met up with everyone else and headed to the Sapphire Room for Second Breakfast at the punchilners Comedy Brunch. Huevos Rancheros – Good. Comedy – Bad. You’ve seen it all already on CC – it’s all true – the food’s fine, the comedy isn’t worth waiting for. DD17 loved her Honey Nut Encrusted French Toast, DD15 did not enjoy her chocolate chip pancakes nearly as much (which is strange, considering her 2 food groups are chocolate and chicken....).

Now, I’m sure you all have your favourite way to spend a Fun day at Sea, so many of you may just want to skip this paragraph. For me, nothing says fun like doing a load of laundry. Such is the life of the mom who travels with a family of carry-on-only. So for those of you laundry lovers out there, the closest laundry room was down a level on deck 7, and because it was early in the voyage, I found a washer right away (as if anyone else would be longing to spend their sea day in the spa-like conditions of the laundry room). I was pretty excited (as excited as anyone can be about laundry related items) to find that coins have been dispensed with, and you can use your room card there too for soap and washers. Just make sure you check which machine you’ve already loaded your clothes into when you punch in the number of the machine! It’s 3.25 for a load to wash, and another 3.25 to dry. The machines are really big though, so what I would have done in at least 2 loads at home, I did in one here. Throwing caution to the wind, the whites were thrown in with the not-so white, and all was good. There’s one ironing board with an attached iron in that room (the ironing room is apparently on level 8 – I wasn’t that excited about laundry that I ever went to find it)....but if you want steam, bring a water bottle with you from your room – the iron is a long way from the sink, and it doesn’t appear to be unpluggable. When you use the dryers, note whether you have just tossed your clothes in the UPPER dryer or LOWER dryer, because once you’ve pushed the wrong button, there’s no going back. Except to unload all your clothes from the lower dryer into the upper dryer after having pushed the wrong button by mistake. Sigh. Experience. Gotta love it.

I’m done with the laundry talk. The rest of you can come back. While I was decadently luxuriating in folding laundry, the rest of the crew had gone to hear Butch’s informational talk in Ovation Theatre. He talks fast, and LONG. They were there overtime, and I enjoyed some deck time with my book.

For lunch the guys all had Indian food at the Tandoor Grill and loved it. That’s saying a lot, since DH and Papa are avid Indian food eaters. Papa was very impressed. You should know this about him – he’s been everywhere, and every time we met a new crew member, he would be able to at least say hello and thank you in their language, and talk about their country. He became a big favourite with many people. We just tried not to laugh out loud; because it didn’t matter where someone was from HE had been there and had some connection to share.

For some reason, my girls’ favourite Sea day activity is Tea Time. So we made sure we got to the Blush dining room promptly at 3, by going the entirely wrong direction, ending up at the other end of the ship. OK, so we arrived at 3:08. I signalled that we were 3, and we were directed to a table for six, where the only available seats were one between 2 very large men, and the other two across from there. I declined. We like getting to know other passengers, but not that way. We were subsequently seated at a table for 10 with 2 other families, and had a grand time. The chocolate cake was enormous, and rich, and the girls loved every bite of it (no wonder there were headaches!), while I enjoyed my lemon cake. We left as soon as it seemed socially acceptable to do so, and managed to find our way to the Ovation Theatre in one attempt. We watched HASBRO the Game show – it was really well done and our whole group enjoyed it.

So....Elegant night. Our family is probably the most photographically dysfunctional group ever, in the history of posed photographs. Photographers eagerly wave us to OTHER sets to have our pictures taken. The embarkation photo, the “classic” photo you’re supposed to want and buy....ha! We laugh in the face of it and many others....well, grimace in the face would appear to be more what we did. However, some things just need to be done in the name of memory making, so we made another attempt. Who came up with the idea of one of the children trying to sit on the arm of the chair the mom is sitting in. This is not a natural position for any of our kids, but I think it was actually the one we ended up getting, because we were all bursting into laughter because The Son was falling off as the picture was being taken. We earned every bite of our New Years Eve Dinner from that sitting.

We arrived at 6:00 – no lineup at all, and were seated at Table 281 on the other side of the restaurant from the night before. And it was here that we met Hendro, Rino, and Janelle, our waitstaff for the rest of the week. It didn’t hurt that Papa was wearing his shirt from Indonesia, where Hendro is from, to start up a conversation. They were excellent and the next night we requested the same table, and after that they just gave it to us every night. So, when our appetizers arrived, DD15 commented on the state of Papa’s and my Asparagus Lobster soup....”that looks like something that came out of the sewer.” What more can I say? The Son began his quest to eat everything on the “Didja ever” part of the menu, and began his meal with Alligator Fritters which he declared to be TOTALLY different from the Alligator Bites of Florida.

bth_100_9771_zps05aef21c.jpg

This is just my humble opinion, but may I say at this point, that party hats do NOTHING for anyone? The waiters donned the obligatory Happy New Year hats and sang Auld Lang Syne for us – what they lacked in talent, they made up for in enthusiasm, and who really knows all the words of the song anyway? They topped that off by dancing to “Moves like Jagger” which was also entertaining, if not spectacular. (No audience participation was required or requested, much to our table’s delight. Heavens, we can’t even coordinate ourselves for a simple photo shoot, can you imagine us trying to dance?)

We gave some members of our party opportunity to change before heading to the Punchilner Comedy Club family show. We got there 15 minutes early and had no problem finding a seat in the back. Fortunately, none of us were hoping to heckle the comedian, where a front row seat would have been advantageous, but he actually turned out to be pretty decent, which made his appearance at the brunch more of a travesty and complete waste of time for him and us.

bth_nye2_zps32654c33.jpg?t=1357944499

bth_ny31_zps529ef66c.jpg?t=1357944487

We were told there were 4600+ passengers on board (1200 of them children) and I’m pretty sure all of them were on Lido Deck by the time midnight rolled around. The champagne flowed, the party hats blew off, the fists were pumped (I’ve never heard Gangnam Style so many times....), but the whole thing was very civilized and totally appropriate for even us non-partying types. We watched the spectacle from the 12th deck and had a great time, managing to actually stay awake til Midnight when we watched the NYC ball drop on the big screen, and all decided this was a far superior way to watch it fall, than being in Times Square – for our family. I was expecting a lot of rowdy behavior and noise in the hallways, but we only heard a couple of hearty “Happy New Year”s in the wee hours of the morning after our family was all tucked in the appropriate beds.

Great review so far! Your family sounds amazing.

For me though, the best part was when you mentioned that the chicken strips were now at the Comfort Kitchen. Totally made my day. I thought they were gone forever with the addition of Guy's Burger's. Its a little pathetic how excited this has made me but I digress...

Looking forward to more.

Archived