Cheers Now has a 15 Drink Limit

MrPete

Seems like Carnival is saying "whoops" both with

"unlimited" internet and the "unlimited" drinks

I would not buy the package...I don't that much to make it worthwhile,

I also get group cocktail parties, bottle of wine and carry on bottle of wine I usually have a friend or two who do not drink wine so they "mule" on my extra bottles (to share with group)

However....I love the program on MSC....you can buy a book of drink coupons....12 coupons for the price of 10....the total cost comes to about $6.80 cents per drink with tax and tip..

best part is you can use the coupons as you wish during the cruise...you can "buy" a friend a drink...or give a friend a coupon to use when they want...you can use them at any bar.

You can get most anything ...frozen drinks, martinis, whatever (some high price/top shelf excluded, no aged brandy or whatever LOL) The servers are wonderful about accepting them, never a hassle

I just think it is easier and nicer way. You can buy a similar pack for beer too. They also presell wine for about 12.00 a bottle so that is nice too.

I would not want to feel like I had to drink so much per day to get my "moneys worth"

I would not mind it if , as Nitro says, it could be shared. 15 drinks...for me and/or a friend...or give a few away...that would work

I really like the way MSC coupons don't make me drink more, I just have more fun drinking without thinking about cost or "buying" a friend a drink here and there...just give them a coupon.

I have no idea how much the cheers program costs. We just got back from our first cruise and didn't buy the program. We just paid for our drinks with the S&S card. There is NO way I could drink 15 drinks a day, even on sea days. There were a few days where the sea was ruff and I had a hard enough time trying to walk around when I hadn't had a drink..lol. I dont think I even had 15 drinks the whole cruise.

On the duty free issue. I am sure that there is an accountant that has researched where to get the best prices on all types of beer and spirit.

I am sure they buy the USA beer in the USA. No problem with there amounts. When the ship goes to Mexico you load up on the Mexican beers and Spirits. Rum the islands where they are produced. Large corps do things like this all the time.

I just heard on the news that Illinois is trying to sue American and United for using an address that is outside of the O'hare zipcode(which has a special tax on jet fuel) for years. To the tune of 100 million in tax savings. You don't think Carnival has figured out how to get booze cheap in all the years they have been selling it.

Enjoy your vacation. That is what it is about:)

Actually, I really don't understand this rule... what difference does it make if two share the fifteen, or one drinks them all? Are they so sure one cannot finish 15, therefore by having them both purchase, they make more money with just selling half the drinks? I just don't get it...:confused:

It makes perfect sense, the more people that buy the program the more money CCL makes because CCL is banking on the light to moderate drinkers out numbering the heavy drinkers.

Cruise ships definitely buy alcohol at duty free ports. Why wouldn't they? I've seen it myself as I was on the last tender back from Grand Cayman and they must have been 50-75 cases of alcohol on it.

Look it is this way, they sell duty free liquor on board!!!!!!! Do you think they are going to stock up on alcohol in the US?

The make a fortune on alcohol sales. It allows everyone else to cruise on a ship for a week, food included, for $500+

As for the drink program. Anybody who drinks decent wine or a cocktails at $9 a pop, its a great deal. 5 a day and you are over $42.95

So after all the back and forth, it has been announced there is an official limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hour period.

Carry on. Literally.

Where has this been announced? On the Carnival website, the cheers program makes no mention of this.

Does anyone have any real details on this? I was not able to load page 4 of this thread for some reason but I've read the rest. I don't see any links to any info other than the regular info that doesn't include anything about a limit.

This is the first I've heard of this program. I'm going on the Dream in July. This may be a good deal but the important questions are if sodas count toward the 15 and if you can purchase alcohol after the 15. I can easily drink 15 drinks in a day. I could do that and not really be drunk. Although I would probably do most of the drinking after dinner.

So any links to this info?

I found this on another site that indeed states it is 15 alcoholic. So hopefully this is a good deal. Depends on if the rum runners are successful. :)

http://www.***********/info/carnival/barprogram.php

I posted what was included (#110). Buckets are not Water is not Sodas are but not from the ones in your mini bar.

Seems like Carnival is saying "whoops" both with

"unlimited" internet and the "unlimited" drinks

Perhaps they set the price and amount based on what thier passenger portfolios were showing them. Even when I saw 15, I was like WHOA! I can't drink that much myself even with my own bottle!

All I would do is look at my daily consumption andprice it to see what was the better deal. A closer look tells me Bon Voyage liquor, and this entire program is way overpriced to stop doing what I've been doing since I started cruising.

But Carnival either unexpected that people were going to get their "moneys" worth, or uncovered so many cheating loopholes, that they are scrambling to control it, all while stating the 15 limit never existed.

Except us cruise critters were reading right form the start people reporting there was one. We knew otherwise.

Perhaps they set the price and amount based on what thier passenger portfolios were showing them. Even when I saw 15, I was like WHOA! I can't drink that much myself even with my own bottle!

All I would do is look at my daily consumption andprice it to see what was the better deal. A closer look tells me Bon Voyage liquor, and this entire program is way overpriced to stop doing what I've been doing since I started cruising.

But Carnival either unexpected that people were going to get their "moneys" worth, or uncovered so many cheating loopholes, that they are scrambling to control it, all while stating the 15 limit never existed.

Except us cruise critters were reading right form the start people reporting there was one. We knew otherwise.

I have seen no talk of any kind of limit with NCL's program, other than the types of liqour that is included.

Cruise ships definitely buy alcohol at duty free ports. Why wouldn't they? I've seen it myself as I was on the last tender back from Grand Cayman and they must have been 50-75 cases of alcohol on it.

Look it is this way, they sell duty free liquor on board!!!!!!! Do you think they are going to stock up on alcohol in the US?

The make a fortune on alcohol sales. It allows everyone else to cruise on a ship for a week, food included, for $500+

As for the drink program. Anybody who drinks decent wine or a cocktails at $9 a pop, its a great deal. 5 a day and you are over $42.95

Most of that liquor is what people buy at the port. In GC you can't buy and carry, you have to have it delivered to the ship.

Even if they didn't buy the liquor duty free, they still make a ton of $$ off it. Just with their buying power alone.

I wanna cruise with you.

Imagine my surprise, when I found out Drink Canada Dry was an ad campaign, not a challenge!

I wanna cruise with Cruisin Kelly and Still Pooh!!!!

Come on along... we are on Victory in 3 weeks ... trip includes FAT TUESDAY - Mardi Gras ... so bring your masks and beads !

The only place I still see this is quietly as a comment under a Facebook post for the last link to a JH Blog late Monday night.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/JohnHeald/posts/496605283715371

I couldnt find that post but

Im amazed by all the begging and special tratment people request:rolleyes:

This is the post on Facebook.

John Heald I am so sorry its late. We were posting here form the ship and for some reason it wouldnt stick or glue or whatever its called when you try and post it. Anyway, its posted now. I didnt have time today to post the change in the Cheers program. This follows a meeting on Friday with the senior beards and here is a message from Eddie our VP of bars which I just received,

" While we are still in a trial period with the CHEERS! Beverage Program, I am very happy to have been able to roll the program out to a total of 13 ships prior to their Christmas cruises. As of this past weekend we made one change to the program, formalizing the limit on how many alcoholic drinks guests will be served within a 24 hour period (15 drinks total within the 24 hour period which runs from 6am to 6am the following day). Sodas and other applicable NA Beverages will remain unlimited and will not be counted towards the 15 alcoholic beverages limit, and all other policies and procedures remain the same.

Eddie

So basically it's a 15 drinks per day at a set price? No thanks. I'll stick to buying Celebrity's drink packages which have no pre determined drink limits. Plus, everything other than the wine from dispensers is included up to $12 per. Waters, coffees, sports drinks, etc.. Granted it's more expensive per day, but there is no fear of the drink police shutting you down. :D

Tony

When something is implemented during a "trial" basis it means they are testing it to see what works and what doesn't. It has nothing to do with "scrambling" to control something. How else would they know if it would work or not? Just like when they implement anything new. They need to test the waters. It is not some sort of conspiracy or scheme to screw the customers. Good Lord.

Most of that liquor is what people buy at the port. In GC you can't buy and carry, you have to have it delivered to the ship.

Even if they didn't buy the liquor duty free, they still make a ton of $$ off it. Just with their buying power alone.

We have seen them load beer and booze in St. Thomas. Don't kid yourself.

The 15 drink rule makes sense to me. I can see these little spring breakers buying their friends drinks with this program, so they had to make a cut off point for that reason and so people don't go overboard (no pun intended lol). I am going to purchase Cheers on my up coming cruise not because I intend to get wasted but simply I want to enjoy having a few cocktails and not to worry about cost. I probably wont ever make it to 15.

This. We will be buying the cheers program on our upcoming cruise because we like knowing how much it's going to cost upfront.

And my husband can drink a lot of beer. We won't be trying to reach the limit just to get our money's worth though.

Carnival's website still has no mention of a limit, except to say the can refuse to serve anyone at anytime.

We are trying to decide whether to order from the Bon Voyage or the Cheers program. Once on board and you find out in person the rules, it's too late to order liquor for your room.

Archived