So many people on my last cruise didn't know this happened..

Bran8778

Hmmmmm seems like I should look for expired "tags" when I need a chair. Just move the items and stick the tag on them.

The guy saving the stack of chairs looks just like a guy on our last cruise that got up at 6:30 am every morning and put towels out on about a dozen chairs and then left. Somehow, a lot of his towels vanished.

[quote name='CarribeanDiva']Hmmmmm seems like I should look for expired "tags" when I need a chair. Just move the items and stick the tag on them.

The guy saving the stack of chairs looks just like a guy on our last cruise that got up at 6:30 am every morning and put towels out on about a dozen chairs and then left. Somehow, a lot of his towels vanished.[/QUOTE]

What's funny is when their towels vanish, they can't find them and have to pay Carnival $22 per towel.

[quote name='scottydog123']It be nicer if people would just follow the rules and not have the overworked cruise workers take on another duty that should be covered by the signage.[/quote]

This doesn't really make more work. If I rememember on Royal Carib. the same "deck patrol" workers that cleaned up the deck also were in charge of the towels and the watching for "chair hogs." We thought it worked great.

The time limit is 40 mins regardless of what you are saving it for. I also have no problem moving the towels and items from a chair that I know has been vacated for this amt of time. I pick it up and bring it to the towel hut. If the owners return and ask about their belongings, I let them know it was picked up and is at the towel hut. Simple as that. If I come upon one person w several chairs saved, I simply state that I will occupy it until their party arrives. When they do, they have not EVER asked me to move, especially if I have been in the chair for 30 mins or more, that chair is now mine.

[quote name='dbogusch']What's funny is when their towels vanish, they can't find them and have to pay Carnival $22 per towel.[/quote]

Yes good thing they don't weigh luggage leaving the ship :cool: just kidding I don't have a bathroom stocked fully in "lost" Carnival beach towels :D

up to the lido deck I go and the first 6 rows of chairs are covered with towels and no one is around. one of my favorite things is to then act like i have permission and move all the towels to a single chair. instantly a whole bunch of folks move from their not so desirable locations and fill those chairs. never noticed anyone running from somewhere else to say we stole their chairs.

years and years and years ago my grandma tells me, deck chairs on ships were reserved. yours was assigned when you got your cabin. the more expensive the cabin the better placement of a deck chair. interesting.

This is what I find so funny about all of this. There are some of us who get up at 7 and read on the deck and save the chairs for the rest of the group that is coming. Sorry if this seems wrong but I was always taught that the early bird catches the worm.

So if you come out at 10 or 11 when true sun worshipers (or people who actually get into the activities by the pool) Why should our things be moved. We came as a group and want to be a group.

From all of the cruises I have been on there are normally 5-6 people who do get up early. Its seems that a ship is large enought that you can find seats elsewhere. But because some are early risers and want to be with their friends we should be punished because those who get up late expects the world at their feet. Doesn't seem to be right here.

When you are at a beach do people move your stuff because you are off doing something? It just seems that everyone complains about something.

I would suggest to get up early sleep in your chair and enjoy the day. If you want to sleep in then take what you can get,.

Exactly! And this is where you have just screwed your own argument. The ship is large enough for YOU to go find seats elsewhere instead of being such an inconsiderate excuse for a human. :) I put a smilie face so you know it's nothing personal.

Cheers!

I find this whole argument hilarious. I mean really people?

I am not an early bird. Sometimes I didn't get out bed until 11 am. The only time I had a hard time finding somewhere to sit was on the last day at sea. And that's because I slept super late. There were empty chairs but they were in the sun and I was completely sunned out. So we sat in the dining room and had some breakfast, went to our cabin to pack, and by mid afternoon, when everyone else was sunned out, we were able to get a hammock on Serenity. I think the 40 minute rule is the perfect amount of time. We never saved any seats in advance but we would take turns running down to the bathroom/get food/get drinks etc. And when my sister was gone, I would save her seat next to me. I just don't get the big brouhaha about it.

you can keep towels on chairs for up to 40 MINUTES..

anyone think it should be 20?

Absolutely NO. I'm not a person who even sits by the pool because I have to stay out of the sun, but 20 minutes is hardly time to run to the rest room and get a drink or something from the buffet. Don't get carried away with this.

Really. I'm traveling with 31 family members next week. So if I get up early and save 31 chairs and you were on the same cruise you'd be okay with that. You say "I would suggest to get up early sleep in your chair and enjoy the day. If you want to sleep in then take what you can get" . Hey so goes for those folks you're saving for. Get their body's to the chairs.

Exactly! And this is where you have just screwed your own argument. The ship is large enough for YOU to go find seats elsewhere instead of being such an inconsiderate excuse for a human. :) I put a smilie face so you know it's nothing personal.

Cheers!

Lol so true. Heck They screwed their own argument from the get go.

People can be strange though - our last cruise a fun pool game suddenly sprung up in the aft pool. NOT wanting to be a chog and knowing this would be going on for some time, I removed our items (two towels, flip flops and one small back-pack) from our chairs.

We'd gone to dinner with a couple the night before that we'd met from our balcony, and I saw him in a chair right by the pool holding another chair for his wife. I asked if I could simply set my things down (not steal her chair!) while we played. He said of course... then wandered off and apparently didn't tell her. When she came back she started screaming about whose things were on her chair...

*sigh* try and do the right thing and get yelled at - even when I told her I'd asked and he'd said okay she was still po'd at me - needless to say, we didn't dine with them again!

I can't even imagine trying to lay out and relax while still saving eight chairs... playing musical chairs with myself just doesn't sound like fun!

So what you are saying is if us as a group go eat after laying out for a bit and plan on coming back to where we were since 7 its Ok for those who don't get up early to take our seats. Seems to me the shelfish people are the ones who want to be treated like Queens and Kings and think the cruise is all about them..

If you are come back as a group from breakfast in 40 minutes, your chair will still be there. If not, you Kings and Queens can find new ones. People who think the cruise is "all about them" are the reason we even need a chair HOG policy.

Considerate people would not feel entitled to reserve that chair for themselves all day just because they got there first. By that token, I may have found that chair at 5 pm the day before your early bird "reservation."

It's not Oklahoma and the time of the sooners. Getting there first does not stake your claim.

Actually LWiening, from your Logic, you will be the person who will join the line while other members of your group sit by the pool or sleep, and when you arrive at the head of the line you alert them and THEY will CUT IN THE LINE, because the group MUST eat together!!

:D

But why would that be a problem?

It's her world, the rest of us are just in it.

You probably are the ones that irritate me ...I don't have the problem just the facts. But then you are probably the ones that cut in line ahead of people at the buffett line cause you don't think you have to wait either.

LOL a chair hog is irritated. Just because they don't think they should have to follow the rules that everyone else has to follow.

Yep, by your logic, the early bird can get the chair. That they're personally using. If you're with a group, then obviously all the chairs most be used. One or two of a group can save for one or two--the ones they are physically in.

If you didn't arrive as a group, and then your late friends come, if you want to stay in a group, then you can......if you all go and find a group of chairs in a different area. Don't expect that you should be given exactly what you want.

What's also ridiculous in the second photo is that there are stacks of deck chairs on the deck above. Wonder why those weren't set out for passenger use?

I think this was fairly early in the day, like maybe 10 am or so. Maybe they just hadn't got around to getting them all out yet. Also, the weather wasn't all that nice that morning, later on in the day it was better though. :cool:

Archived