So many people on my last cruise didn't know this happened..

Bran8778

I do understand it's a safety drill and no it does not need to be done when everyone is smooshed together on deck. But they do have you meet prior at your muster station before you go outside.

On the Fantasy class ships perhaps. But on all the other Carnival cruises I have been on we go directly to the outside muster station.

Most recent copy of Tuntimes from John Heald's Blog, States "DECK CHAIRS

In consideration of your fellow guests, the reserving of deck

chairs is not permitted. Towels and personal items left on chairs

unattended for 40 minutes or more will be removed by the pool

attendants and brought to the Towel Hut for safekeeping until

you pick them up."

UNFORTUNATELY, this is only in the LAST copy during a 4 day on the Sensation, a ship which I'm noticing does not have these problems.

Yes, they're on their way of making it known more. but not when and where it apparently needs to be.

Glad to see they're working on the issue!

I am wondering how rampant chair saving is on port days.

Will people get up and place their crap on chairs then head out to the port for the day?

My intentions are to stay on the ship- enjoy the peace and quiet but I dont want to encounter where I have to fight to find a chair

You never know on our last cruise was sitting on a lounger waiting for DW to come up for breakfast. A "lady" came by a told me I had to get off that one. Her and her friends had been using them the whole cruise, and would be needing them when they got back to the ship. Yes this was 7am on a port day. And she wanted to put towels down to save "their" chairs till they got bak at 3 or 4

You never know on our last cruise was sitting on a lounger waiting for DW to come up for breakfast. A "lady" came by a told me I had to get off that one. Her and her friends had been using them the whole cruise, and would be needing them when they got back to the ship. Yes this was 7am on a port day. And she wanted to put towels down to save "their" chairs till they got bak at 3 or 4

I think I would have burst out laughing at her. "Hahahahaha! [awkward pause] Oh, wait, you're serious?" And then I would have continued to enjoy the view from my very comfy lounge chair.

Wow!:eek:

I hate chair hogs too but it is the pool and hot tub area and some here seem to forget that. 40 minutes is a fair time since most people will either soak or take a dip and be back before 40 minutes are up. Besides the chair hog cop won't be marking your chair as soon as you put your towel on it.

What did you tell her??? Please tell me you laughed so hard she had to walk away in shame!!

I'm pretty sure my response would be "bite me!"

I'd have given her "the look" - you know the one, and said "I don't think so." :cool:

Volume chair-hogging on Glory last week:

DSCF1188-1.jpg

Stack chairs and place towel on top chair.

Agreed. I was on that cruise. Massive chair hogging going on. Half the chairs on the Lido deck and above seemed to be empty, but were being "reserved" by towels and other objects. I saw no effort being made by Carnival staff to stop this. It's ridiculous.

PLEASE let us all know what you did / what happened.

I only made it to page seven....but i love the chit chat and i love that Carnival is bringing consciousness to the situation.

LOL..love the future psych study idea...

I live an extra 10 minutes away from all siblings and folks to town and our church location (40 min drive), it rarely fails, in bad weather or good I arrive during the opening hymn at church..if bro in law goes I have a squeeze in the pew option if no one else sits there sqweezed in (and who would want to, except moi). When bro in law sleeps in..(rarely)..and all are staying home from usual 3 services because of the annual church meeting; (like last Sunday)...(there was just one service and still plenty of room due to home hiders)..I asked the sweet lady on the aisle if I could sit next to my family...and there was room for her to be comfortable still on the aisle..we do tend to sit in same pew in back...people are creatures of habit. If someone is bringing up the rear in a group within 5 or ten minutes I think it is ok...if it is beyond 10 minutes and there are no blizzards, trucks on the road etc. , groups in line for breakfast to navigate...the last person sits in another pew or row...Moi...

I think 40 minutes is plenty and fair time on a vacation situation and nobody should be able to save for a group arrival longer than that..and only one or 2 stragglers allowed.

I did want to sit in serenity once on my Easter cruise..it was not "serenity" nor was it ever possible and i was not getting up at 0500 to make it....happy cruising!!

was reading some reviews about a sandals resort and came across this ..

it's part of a review...

"There are not enough blue floaties to go around. What happens is people start to hoard them and keep them at their loungers for their exclusive use. Some people are just plain ignorant and rude and don't get it. It takes all types at an all-inclusive. My recommendation, and what I did for all you rude and selfish people who came back not to find "your" floatie after 2 hours away, is to simply take the floaties and use them for our use and then pass them on. Buy more floaties Sandals and enforce things on the few rude idiots that unfortunately visit your resorts."

I guess this stuff happens everywhere!

Sounds like that woman thinks she is Love Boat CD Julie's evil twin. What nerve! Please I gotta hear what you said to her!

I just got off Sensation an hour ago. There was 40 minute signs posted all over the place, and even a huge sign that said something like "Share the fun with every one. If you are going to be away from your deck chair for longer than 40 minutes, please take your belongings with you." Good part is there was no shortage. I always found a good spot, even at mid afternoon on sea day yesterday... Right about the time the bachelor party found the bachelorette party at the hot tub!!

This started in August as a test on the Breeze only.

"...The hogging of deck chairs will no longer be tolerated on the Carnival Breeze. Earlier this week, Carnival senior cruise director John Heald listed a change of policy on his Facebook page. Staffers on the ship have begun testing a new effort to police the all-too-common practice in which passengers claim deck chairs and then disappear for hours on end.

When a deck chair is occupied only by someone’s possessions (and not an actual person), a cruise employee will put a sticker with the time on the chair. Heald posted a photo showing such a sticker on Facebook. If 40 minutes pass after the sticker is attached and no one returns to the chair, the possessions will be moved so that another traveler can have a spot to lounge...

After a test period, Carnival expects to expand the policy to the entire fleet, and it wouldn’t be surprising if other cruise lines, as well as beach resorts, follow suit."

Read more: http://business.time.com/2012/08/02/lounge-chair-hog-controversy-cruise-line-gets-tough-on-seat-saving/#ixzz2KKn0QpQO

It looks like it's been expanded to at least one other ship since then based on the prior post.

Glad to see it.

I like having a chair near the pool to keep an eye out on my 10 year old daughter, since she will more than likely be in the pool and I am not one to leave my child to do what she pleases. So, I get up early and go find a chair-which we share. ;)

Same for me. :)

On the Miracle back in Nov.2012, on/in the Serenity area they were using the stickers...

The woman who was stickering the chairs was always polite to people who were "saving" the chairs, but very determined to to her job :) I really don't know how she kept her patience when dealing with people who were saving chairs for their relatives/friends whom they swore "would be right back". She was amazing and always, and I mean always on the job :)

It was so good to see....and was probably the reason we were able to get a chair out there at all...

Never did manage to get a clam shell though....actually talked to one couple who took their blankets and tried to sleep out there...only to be awakened by the cleaning crew in the wee hours of the morning... LOL Now that's chair hogging to the highest extreme :)

We have always completely enjoyed helping the crew with the 30-40 minute empty chair program.

Seriously...on our last cruise there were folks who slept in the prime chairs before sea days. Nothing beats a Miracle cruise a couple of years ago when one person was attempting to hold 10 chairs around 8:00. Soon she was down to 8 then 6 then she just got real huffy and left!

Archived