So many people on my last cruise didn't know this happened..

Bran8778

This is why I am so happy that my husband refuses to sail without having a balcony! This way we know we always have two chairs when we want them if we can't find some on deck. Luckily we aren't big pool users as we are from Central Florida so we see water all the time.

We go to dinner together, stand in line together, and hang out together. That's what people do when they are on vacation....TOGETHER.

I am now, of course, going to have to watch the chairs on deck just to see what happens. Who knows, I might be able to use this phenomenon for my next psychology research paper!

I think 40 minutes is the optimal time, given there may be lines at the buffet, and there may be a restroom, cabin visit and food break all at once.

In addition to consistent enforcement I think Carnival really needs to go all out on the information front. The first thing I'd do is actually, physically PRINT ON THE DECK CHAIR ITSELF:

NO SAVING OF DECK CHAIRS

Items left on this chair after 40 minutes are subject to removal by ships staff.

Removed items can be claimed at the Towel Station.

Also, I hear (and I guess will see in March) that Carnival Breeze uses video screens and a recording for the safety briefing during the muster drill. Perhaps this may provide an opportunity to remind 100% of guests of the most basic "ship's rules" through an extra 60-90 seconds of video after the actual SOLAS part of the briefing is over, but before dismissal from the muster stations. The chair hog rule could be clearly stated, along with dress code, rules regarding smoking, alcohol, throwing stuff from the ship, etc. - whatever Carnival is finding a recurring problem.

The idea is basically to make it so that no offending chair hog can ever say they didn't know the rule, even if they have tunnel vision and don't see the signs at the entrances to the lido deck. And having 100% of customers be clearly shown the rule will have the back of the poor Carnival employee who is getting screamed at for the 43rd time in 6 months by a chair hog. It won't stop every chair hog, but it could help thin the herd.

I will not save chairs for anyone. I get on deck and get my chair at 9am...and plunk my rear in it. When I need to go eat/drink or bathroom break...I take my stuff and when I come back find another seat. Personally I like having different views around the pool...if my family or friends traveling with me are around we sit together.

2 or 3 cruises ago I actually saw two families come to blows over hogging and security had to show up....I had a front row seat. They even tried to get me involved.... can't believe people get so worked up over chairs.

Two weeks ago on Glory, there was a row of 10 chairs that were empty for over 2 hours and when one of the women finally showed up I overheard her say she came out and reserved the chairs and then went back to her cabin and went back to bed!

This is why I am so happy that my husband refuses to sail without having a balcony! This way we know we always have two chairs when we want them if we can't find some on deck. Luckily we aren't big pool users as we are from Central Florida so we see water all the time.

We go to dinner together, stand in line together, and hang out together. That's what people do when they are on vacation....TOGETHER.

I am now, of course, going to have to watch the chairs on deck just to see what happens. Who knows, I might be able to use this phenomenon for my next psychology research paper!

LOL! Love it!

Seems to me the shelfish people are the ones who want to be treated like Queens and Kings and think the cruise is all about them..
Pot. Kettle. Black. Much???

Why is it that people who so easily point fingers never look back at themselves? Why is it always everyone else who is in the wrong?

Call me nuts, but, I still don't see what this "have to be by the pool(s)" is so necessary by some people. If I want to see the "attraction of the day", I will drift over there, watch, and leave. Otherwise, there are lots of alternate locations to "catch some rays".

Just my opinion, of course!;)

years and years and years ago my grandma tells me, deck chairs on ships were reserved. yours was assigned when you got your cabin. the more expensive the cabin the better placement of a deck chair. interesting.

This is true. My very first cruise - my first grown up paid-for-by-myself vacation - was aboard the Greek Line Olympia to Bermuda. We had to rent deck chairs for the week. They were hard ugly wooden chairs like the ones you see in pictures of the Titanic. They were no where near the pool - which wasn't much bigger than today's hot tubs :)

so, I'm not a chair hog, but I am up early and have a pretty good choice of chairs...and one thing that drives me crazy about this...

I see chair hogs come throw their stuff down and disappear. I also watch people walk by those chairs every 5 minutes who would of taken them if they were open. So, chairs hogs or not, late risers or people who just don't go get a spot early aren't going to be next to the pool or even in a prime seat on Lido. If you don't get to the pool until 11:00, you're going to get a spot you probably consider less desirable, chair hogs or not.

Do you have to have a seat that overlooks the pool while you are "reading", eating breakfast, eating lunch? same goes for those in the serenity deck... I can't be in the sun for The long so why do people who love to sunbathe hog two places on the serenity area?

Every single time we went on to the serenity deck we couldn't find a place to sit. What irritated me the most were the people who would claim the big round clam shell chairs or the hammocks and then sit in the hot tub for 2 hours. Your hat, towel and shoes dont need to be comfy on a chair while you sit in the hot tub, put your crap on the ground and let someone who will actually sit in the chair have it.:mad:

I think 40 minutes is the optimal time, given there may be lines at the buffet, and there may be a restroom, cabin visit and food break all at once.

In addition to consistent enforcement I think Carnival really needs to go all out on the information front. The first thing I'd do is actually, physically PRINT ON THE DECK CHAIR ITSELF:

NO SAVING OF DECK CHAIRS

Items left on this chair after 40 minutes are subject to removal by ships staff.

Also, I hear (and I guess will see in March) that Carnival Breeze uses video screens and a recording for the safety briefing during the muster drill. Perhaps this may provide an opportunity to remind 100% of guests of the most basic "ship's rules" through an extra 60-90 seconds of video after the actual SOLAS part of the briefing is over, but before dismissal from the muster stations. The chair hog rule could be clearly stated, along with dress code, rules regarding smoking, alcohol, throwing stuff from the ship, etc. - whatever Carnival is finding a recurring problem.

The idea is basically to make it so that no offending chair hog can ever say they didn't know the rule, even if they have tunnel vision and don't see the signs at the entrances to the lido deck. And having 100% of customers be clearly shown the rule will have the back of the poor Carnival employee who is getting screamed at for the 43rd time in 6 months by a chair hog. It won't stop every chair hog, but it could help thin the herd.

These are good ideas.

Carnival should take note of this post.

The thing is that I would never even think about going to lunch expecting to come back to the same chair.

When I was a kid there was a favorite chair near the television.

We all knew that it was only our chair until we got up.

If you wanted a drink of water or to go to the bathroom it was too bad for you.

Every single time we went on to the serenity deck we couldn't find a place to sit. What irritated me the most were the people who would claim the big round clam shell chairs or the hammocks and then sit in the hot tub for 2 hours. Your hat, towel and shoes dont need to be comfy on a chair while you sit in the hot tub, put your crap on the ground and let someone who will actually sit in the chair have it.:mad:

The other thing that bothered me on the serenity deck was trying to find a dry chair as most of them had hot tub water slopped all over them.

That and the loud people in the hot tub.

Giggling playing teens and some guy who told in a loud voice the details of some child abuse case he apparently worked on.

I am against child abuse, but I really did not enjoy hearing a 30 minute unrelenting monologue on it while I was trying to zone out on my vacation.

NO SAVING OF DECK CHAIRS

I love this idea, put a hanging plaque on the chair to remind people.

I found this on the Breeze last week and the people who were sprawled out sleeping all day. Go to your cabin so others can use the chair. I don't mind people resting but I am talking all day people were in the chair sleeping. We never found a chair on the Serenity deck.

One other thing I noticed that wasn't enforced was the no diaper rule in the pool. I really think the Breeze needs an adult only pool.

I think the 40 minute rule is great, but lets all remember, even if enforced, its not 40 minutes. Let's be real, it will take time for someone to come over and tag the chairs, and that time could be significant (granted though, it may not be :-).)

I also don't understand the necessity of having a chair right near the pool. Is the sun brighter there? The breeze more perfect, or non-existent there? But I think that somehow the idea of chairs near the pool makes people think they are prime and therefore others want them. When we go on deck we just look for two chairs, anywhere, and hope we find them.

I am wondering how rampant chair saving is on port days.

Will people get up and place their crap on chairs then head out to the port for the day?

My intentions are to stay on the ship- enjoy the peace and quiet but I dont want to encounter where I have to fight to find a chair

When I was on the Dream a few months ago my wife and I stayed on the ship when we were in Nassau and when we went to the Serenity deck around 10 or 11 AM we basically got to pick anywhere we wanted to sit. I know this isn't exactly the same as by the pool but I figure that the Serenity and pool area usually have about the same percentage of chairs being used.

I think the 40 minute rule is great, but lets all remember, even if enforced, its not 40 minutes. Let's be real, it will take time for someone to come over and tag the chairs, and that time could be significant (granted though, it may not be :-).)

I also don't understand the necessity of having a chair right near the pool. Is the sun brighter there? The breeze more perfect, or non-existent there? But I think that somehow the idea of chairs near the pool makes people think they are prime and therefore others want them. When we go on deck we just look for two chairs, anywhere, and hope we find them.

I like having a chair near the pool to keep an eye out on my 10 year old daughter, since she will more than likely be in the pool and I am not one to leave my child to do what she pleases. So, I get up early and go find a chair-which we share. ;)

I found this on the Breeze last week and the people who were sprawled out sleeping all day. Go to your cabin so others can use the chair. I don't mind people resting but I am talking all day people were in the chair sleeping. We never found a chair on the Serenity deck.

I don't know about this one. If the person has the chair and wants to use it to sleep......outside in the sun.........:confused:Not sure that how a person decides to use their chair is up to others?

Others thoughts

I really think the Breeze needs an adult only pool.
Since Carnival chooses not to enforce the No Chair Saving Policy, why would you think they would enforce this? :confused: They certainly don't on their other ships.

I like having a chair near the pool to keep an eye out on my 10 year old daughter, since she will more than likely be in the pool and I am not one to leave my child to do what she pleases. So, I get up early and go find a chair-which we share. ;)
Funny - I was going to post that I don't understand why anyone would want to lie right by the pool.

Good chance of getting bumped, wet and certainly disturbed by loud kids, parents and the loudspeakers.

That the only reason I could think of for getting next to the pool was keeping an eye on a child. You beat me to it.;)

Give me the peace and quiet of a spot far from the pool scene.:)

Funny - I was going to post that I don't understand why anyone would want to lie right by the pool.

Good chance of getting bumped, wet and certainly disturbed by loud kids, parents and the loudspeakers.

That the only reason I could think of for getting next to the pool was keeping an eye on a child. You beat me to it.;)

Give me the peace and quiet of a spot far from the pool scene.:)

Now, if she ever didn't go with me, I would love to be on the top deck, away from the pool with my iPod listening to Jimmy (which on our last cruise, I requested the DJ to play Boat Drinks and all he could find was Margaritaville :confused: so I had to suffer through Top 40 and I use the word Top very loosely). But hopefully, she will always be by my side.:)

We prefer to sit somewhere quiet, out of the way and in the sun. We never have a problem finding a spot but I would dearly love to try out one of the clamshell lounger things. Just once... Never have, they are hoarded like gold!

I also don't understand the necessity of having a chair right near the pool.

Because I like to swim (am I the only adult who actually gets in the pools?), and I don't want people stealing my stuff while I am in the pool for 10-15 minutes.

I think 30 minutes is perfectly reasonable. It gives you time to go to the bathroom or your cabin for something. If you're going to be gone longer, take your stuff with ya. It is a common courtesy to other passengers. Keep in mind, these are probably the same people in traffic who see the lane is closed but still stay in that lane until they have to cut in front of everyone else & make the entire lane stop because they are "more important" than everyone else.

We had this issue on Magic last spring. I was up at Serenity by 7:30 to save us some lounges in the shade for 2-3 of our group. Mind you I was sitting there the whole time saving 2 more chairs for our group, didn't just drop stuff & leave. There was already a towel & magazine with the guy's name on it on a lounger & it was there for over 2 hours. Our guess was that they got up, saved the chairs early, went back to bed for a while, ate breakfast & then probably wondered back. Some elderly people were walking around looking for a place to sit & when they asked the attendant & explained that I had seen the stuff there for more than 2 hours & no one around, he would not remove it because he didn't want to deal with the people getting upset. Another passenger nearby heard this & ended up taking the stuff herself to the desk so these elderly people could sit in the shade for a bit. If the chair hogs came by later, they must have just kept on walking & didn't say a word as they knew they were in the wrong. They used a bath towel from their cabin too so as not to be charged for a missing beach towel. The magazine had their name & address on it so anyone so I guess that was supposed to make it ok or something. Apparently they weren't as clever as they thought they were. It takes all kinds I guess. :eek:

Archived