So many people on my last cruise didn't know this happened..

Bran8778

I like having a chair near the pool to keep an eye out on my 10 year old daughter, since she will more than likely be in the pool and I am not one to leave my child to do what she pleases. So, I get up early and go find a chair-which we share. ;)

Obviously there are reasons for people to have chairs near the pool, and surely parents are high on that list. I'm talking about the people who take the chair, hog it, then leave it.

We can all have our opinions on who should have a chair and what to do with it, but if its being used, whether as a mattress, or a card table (not a separate chair mind you) then that should be enough. Whether I'm sitting on it reading, sleeping, playing cards or watching people, I'm on it. The hogs are the ones who just hold it, and use it only periodically or not at all.

I don't know about this one. If the person has the chair and wants to use it to sleep......outside in the sun.........:confused:Not sure that how a person decides to use their chair is up to others?

Others thoughts

My DH agrees, but I just found it odd that they were sleeping in it all day and they were not in the sun, a clamshell with a towel as a blanket. I check numerous times during the day for a chair and they were still there.

My vote would be 5, 10 maximum.

you can keep towels on chairs for up to 40 MINUTES..

anyone think it should be 20?

Well, as long as we are voting, I'll nominate 30 minutes (or a half hour - whichever you like better).

So what you are saying is if us as a group go eat after laying out for a bit and plan on coming back to where we were since 7 its Ok for those who don't get up early to take our seats. Seems to me the shelfish people are the ones who want to be treated like Queens and Kings and think the cruise is all about them..Sorry but if there was a way for us to pay and reserve our seats I would in a moment so I would haven't to hear the complaints from the ones who think the whole cruise is just about them...

Get up early sleep in your chair then you wouldn't have the problem. Besides I have more fun of watching the fools complaining cause someone towel is in a chair even when the person who is in the chair is swimming.

Sounds you you think it's all about you and your group and no respect for no one else. Bit dog always barks the loudest.

My last cruise on Spirit in '08. I am an early riser, but I don't give a damn about saving chairs. Throughout the cruise, there was constant complaints about chair hogs as that ship has only one pool and relatively little space. On the first return sea day, I went on deck @ ~6:30/7:00 AM to find the pool deck empty of people but virtually every chair already reserved. Took it upon myself to shuffle the reservations. All the stuff was on a chair, just not the intended chair. My friends and I later hung out by the biergarden overlooking the deck and watched the excitement. It was incredible fun. :)

My last cruise on Spirit in '08. I am an early riser, but I don't give a damn about saving chairs. Throughout the cruise, there was constant complaints about chair hogs as that ship has only one pool and relatively little space. On the first return sea day, I went on deck @ ~6:30/7:00 AM to find the pool deck empty of people but virtually every chair already reserved. Took it upon myself to shuffle the reservations. All the stuff was on a chair, just not the intended chair. My friends and I later hung out by the biergarden overlooking the deck and watched the excitement. It was incredible fun. :)

LOL...Good times, huh? Any arguments break out?

Oh, and additionally...I'm so glad that the cruise companies are finally addressing this issue. I know they want to avoid confrontation, but this is in their best interest too. I'm willing to bet that the chair hogs make up a very small percentage of passengers, far more on board are offended by their actions than than will be offended by the crew stepping in and preventing those actions. Additionally, the last I checked? Towels and flip flops buy very few drinks!

LOL...Good times, huh? Any arguments break out?

Several...but more wandering around with confused looks. :D

I will be out there early again this cruise but now that I know there is a policy in place, I will make a point of finding a crew member and pressing that the policy be followed.

Love it but this could lead to a confrontation and as stated, shouldn't be necessary. Staff should deal with this problem.

People don't like it when you touch their s#%+.

Several...but more wandering around with confused looks. :D

I will be out there early again this cruise but now that I know there is a policy in place, I will make a point of finding a crew member and pressing that the policy be followed.

we sailed the Legend last January and the crew was monitoring chairs back then.

I really dont think it will be different this year.

I thought it very nice.

it was heavily advertised that you can only vacate a seat for 40 minutes

Every single time we went on to the serenity deck we couldn't find a place to sit. What irritated me the most were the people who would claim the big round clam shell chairs or the hammocks and then sit in the hot tub for 2 hours. Your hat, towel and shoes dont need to be comfy on a chair while you sit in the hot tub, put your crap on the ground and let someone who will actually sit in the chair have it.:mad:

This s true!

Personal preferences aside (Unless you're that one person holding 12 chairs for your group who's in bed while you "read", but i'm not naming screen names)...

I find if hilarious that you're on a CRUISE... in the middle of a beautiful OCEAN... And you're so dang worried about staring at THE POOL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:confused::eek:

:)

Personal preferences aside (Unless you're that one person holding 12 chairs for your group who's in bed while you "read", but i'm not naming screen names)...

I find if hilarious that you're on a CRUISE... in the middle of a beautiful OCEAN... And you're so dang worried about staring at THE POOL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:confused::eek:

That was a good one.

I've never had chair hog problems ....last cruise on Glory (3 night) chogs were not a problem

They do have the signs up about the 40minute rule...I saw a few tags on chairs with towels....

I think just having the sign/tags might stop the worst hoggers from being so bold.

I've never had chair hog problems ....last cruise on Glory (3 night) chogs were not a problem

They do have the signs up about the 40minute rule...I saw a few tags on chairs with towels....

I think just having the sign/tags might stop the worst hoggers from being so bold.

I don't know if it's that they aren't being "bold". Sure, I"m sure there are some who's mindset is to boldly "screw everyone else". I'm guessing that most do it out of the fear that if they don't, that screw everyone else crowd will. Once they realize that no one else will be able to reserve chairs, they're probably relieved that they no longer need to worry about it. The "screw everyone else" crowd will probably move on to cutting the buffet/customer service desk/show seating lines. I have to guess at this because I've never been a chog, felt the need to be a chog, nor enjoyed sitting in a chair roasting like a thanksgiving turkey.

I'm going to compare chair hogging to my job. I am a movie theater manager and sometimes during busy movies we get chair hogs. Our rule of thumb and we will go in and tell guests that they cannot save seats for those not here yet. If they went to the restroom or are in line for snacks then that is fine but if they are not physically in the building the seats cannot be held.

So if the person is not doing one of a few things: in the pool/hottub, getting food, using the bathroom, or quickly running back to the cabin to grab something then I feel you cannot save them a seat.

To me it's not early bird gets the seats, its first come first served. You get up at 8 am and go get a seat then great YOU got a seat not your whole party. If I show up at 11 and your party shows up at 11:05, first come first served which would be me.

Granted I've never have a problem getting a seat except on the Serinity deck. I find myself hanging around the aft pool, to me its just as quiet as the Serenity and there are always open seats.

I guess I'm just not totally biased on this, although I will have to side with the anti-chogs on this. Mostly because A) I'm always in small groups (2 or 3, MAYBE 4) and with said groups, half lounge at the pool, half are IN the pool, and it could be hard to just fine TWO empty spots during times, and B) I haven't been on a cruise, so I can't vouch first-hand. I CAN tell you that if I'm in my said group when I hit the pool up, my rear will be IN the pool, therefore not NEEDING an entire chair to hold a towel, key, flip flops, and MAYBE my camera or phone. Under my step-mom's chair will be just fine for my stuff. And if I'm hitting it up solo, all I'll look for is one of the TINY little tables...

Unless putting your towel on a table and not returning for an hour or two (while I'm in the pool) is becoming a problem as well... Dang Table Hogs...

Archived