What's on your e reader?

misty57

Once I get my Kindle back from Mom. She resisted it for so long now I can't get it back.

I've been reading the classics-

-Sherlock Holmes

-Twain

-all the books in the Three Musketeers by Dumas, turns out I've only read the first and last so now I have to read the middle ones.

-Jane Austen

Many short romance novels.

Some of the DDs' college books. Some of them are interesting (Archaeology and History) if you do not have to study anymore.:p

Thank you for the recommendation. I love reading chick lit series and was looking for another one. I'll have to check it out. Maybe I'll be able to download some of the books and NOT read them before my cruise & land tour in June!

Olemissreb - since you are heading to Alaska, you might enjoy the Jessie Arnold series by Sue Henry. Jessie is an Iditarod musher who continually finds herself in the middle of a mystery. First in the series is Murder on the Iditarod Trail.

All the novels are set in Alaska with some serious doses of Klondike imagery, dogsledding and history. I still read physical books ;) so I get these from my local library, haven't looked for e-versions. We are heading to Alaska in about 7 weeks, and this series has been fun to read in anticipation!

Happy reading!

Olemissreb - since you are heading to Alaska, you might enjoy the Jessie Arnold series by Sue Henry. Jessie is an Iditarod musher who continually finds herself in the middle of a mystery. First in the series is Murder on the Iditarod Trail.

All the novels are set in Alaska with some serious doses of Klondike imagery, dogsledding and history. I still read physical books ;) so I get these from my local library, haven't looked for e-versions. We are heading to Alaska in about 7 weeks, and this series has been fun to read in anticipation!

Happy reading!

Highly recommend Pierre Berton's book re the Klondike for your Alaska trip --he tells the story of the gold rush--extremely well written.

My favorites are Patricia Cornwell, I've read all of her Kay Scarpetta series a couple times. Anne McCaffery and her Pern (dragon) series, I'm on my 3rd reading of that series. Loved Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, even though it's several years old. Guess it's patterned after Seal Team Six. Fortunately I don't have to worry about running out of space on my iPad3.

The Science Fiction focused publishing company Baen Books has a selection of free eBooks, in a variety of formats [compatible with Kindle, iPad, Nook, Kobo...] in the Baen Free Library.

These books may be stand-alone novels, short story collections or the introductory volume to a series. Many authors have found that sales of their current books are enhanced when readers can get free copies of earlier works.

Baen also has eBooks for sale. An advantage they have over some other channels is that their books are not locked to a particular device with DRM.

I like the Rizoli & Isles series by Tess Gerritsen. And I am currently reading book 13 in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, which is a very well done series if you are into supernatural, action, detective stuff.

Loved the Rizoli & Isles series. Getting ready to read the latest one, Last to Die.

I am also reading the Mitch Rapp series written by Vince Flynn. Lots of action and political drama.

Another good one is Randy Wayne White and the Doc Ford series. The stories take place in Captiva Island, Florida.

:)

Hmm. I think I've got everyone outnumbered... 1158 books so far... Been moving a lot of my favorite authors to ebook, p,us grabbing a random selection of freebies.

Working my way through Diskworld again .. Terry Pratchett is always a great relaxing read. Just finished re-reading the Dorothy Sayers Peter Wimsey novels, and the Judge Dee mystery series (still missing one or two of those that aren't ebooks yet). Mercedes Lackey Elemental Masters is also on deck for a reread.

I'll second the Baen library. They also offer CDs with complete series of ebooks for some of their authors if you buy the hardcovers.

......Bruce

62 days to next cruise trip starts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have made my list of books to download on my Kindle for our upcoming cruise. Unfortunately I couldn't resist reading one after reading the prequel that was free! Now I need a replacement. Currently planning on downloading John Grisham's latest novel. Any suggestions? ( The book I just finished was Karen Kingsbury's "Bridge".. I highly recommend it!)

I just finished a series of books by Jaden Skye. They each take place on a different Caribbean Island. There is another author named Rick Murcer who's storied are in the Caribbean also.

Does everyone buy their ebooks? I've used the library for free reading for so many years that I didn't really want to add books to my budget when I got an ereader so I now borrow ebooks from them also. My library allows 12 downloads of ebooks at a time which is plenty to get me through a 2 week vacation! And the checkout period is 3 weeks. :)

Does everyone buy their ebooks? I've used the library for free reading for so many years that I didn't really want to add books to my budget when I got an ereader so I now borrow ebooks from them also. My library allows 12 downloads of ebooks at a time which is plenty to get me through a 2 week vacation! And the checkout period is 3 weeks. :)

I've got almost 1,000 books on my Kindle, and I think I've paid for five (one was $.25). Kindle has a huge selection of freebies. :D

I've been reading the classics-

-Sherlock Holmes

-Twain

-all the books in the Three Musketeers by Dumas, turns out I've only read the first and last so now I have to read the middle ones.

-Jane Austen

ditto on the classics!

Also since it is a nautical setting we are talking about, here are some great series of naval fiction - especially for guys:

• any of the Hornblower novels by C.S. Forrester (he's the guy who also wrote The African Queen) - I've read them all about 20 times over the last 20 years. best sailing novels ever.
  • the Alan Lewrie series by Dewey Lambdin - a more naughty Hornblower - lots of sailing ships doing battle

• the Richard Bolitho novels by Alexandr Kent - these are my current favorites
  • the Jack Aubrey novels (Master and Commander) by Patrick O'Brien - not my absolute favorites but readable

Some good non-fiction:

• Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors - riveting true account of a destroyer squadron taking on a Japanese Battle Wagon Group during the waning days of WW11 - the best military historical book i have ever read, and i have read a ton.
  • The Battle of Midway by Craig Simmons - excellent description of the turning point in the pacific
  • Thunderstruck by Erik Larson - true account of a murder suspect on a trans-Atlantic passage being tracked down using a new "Wireless" system, and how radio transmissions developed.
  • The Wolf by Peter Hohnan - true account of a WW1 German Raider, its crew and captives on a journey lasting over a year.

I started out downloading a bunch of the free ebooks on the Amazon website for my Kindle. Got all the Jane Austen books and a bunch of history books (since I read history for pleasure). One of the most enjoyable free books was Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart. Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs was a fascinating read (3 volumes) along with William Tecumseh Sherman's memoirs (2 volumes). Richard Henry Dana's "Two Years Before The Mast" was eye-opening as he details his travels from Boston to California in the 1800s.

Archived