Meet and greets

mrobstad

They are similar.

However, a passenger needs to get a group together before the cruise and act as the organizer. They make the request of the group event coordinator for that ship. NCL typically does a nice job of these for Cruise Critic members.

The group is typically formed as part of the CC "Roll Call" for that sailing.

Here is the link to the CC roll call board for NCL ships...pick the ship and then search for a thread that has your sailing in the title.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

NCL's are much better! The one I went to on RCCL had the CD & a few others from his staff. On NCL, you usually get the hotel director, food & beverage director, director of housekeeping, director of customer service, and sometimes the captain and CD.

They don't draw for prizes but give a little talk about the ship and itinerary and will take questions.

At all of ours the Captain invited us to tour the Bridge!

And you get a personal invitation to call the HD if anything is not to your satisfaction. They will tell you they would rather hear about it on the ship so they can do something about it than read about it later on Cruise Critic!

Edited by valleyvillage

And you get a personal invitation to call the HD if anything is not to your satisfaction. They will tell you they would rather hear about it on the ship so they can do something about it than read about it later on Cruise Critic!

However, the tour's not a given thing. Been to 3 M&Gs on NCL - only 1 bridge tour invite. Depends largely on who the captain is and a few other factors.

However, the tour's not a given thing. Been to 3 M&Gs on NCL - only 1 bridge tour invite. Depends largely on who the captain is and a few other factors.

Been to M & G on every one of our sailings and have never been offered a bridge tour ever. I would love to go just once...

We did not get an invite to bridge on our M & G on 1/7/13 on the Dawn. The captain, HD, head of housekkeping, head of food and beverage, and a few others were present. They didn't stay long.

Been to M & G on every one of our sailings and have never been offered a bridge tour ever. I would love to go just once...

I have only been to one M & G but wasn't invited either. However, our concierge Virginia comped us one (probably because we were in garden villa)...there were probably 5-10 other couples with us and a few kids(they seemed bored though after a few minutes). It was interesting.

That's why I wanted to make sure that people understand that it's not an automatic thing. It's very special when it is offered, and asking will not help you get one. In fact, it puts someone who cannot make that call in an uncomfortable situation.

I have only been to one M & G but wasn't invited either. However, our concierge Virginia comped us one (probably because we were in garden villa)...there were probably 5-10 other couples with us and a few kids(they seemed bored though after a few minutes). It was interesting.

If you are in a suite, you are usually invited - but not as part of the CC M&G. Different group.

I was able to get a behind the scenes Galley Tour for our M & G group and the Executive Chef gave us a very very very intensive and all-encompassing tour! It all depends on the staff on your ship if they will be able to accommodate some type of tour, if the time is available and if they are affable to doing it. If you are lucky enough to be given a tour of any type, however, you should be THANKFUL and GRACIOUS and that's all I'm saying about that ;)

I've been on both RCCL and NCL and I'm going on both lines in the next two months. The meet and greet for RCCL has an official sign up process through CC, but I don't think there's one for NCL. RCCL put out a brunch spread and raffled off logo gifts. I didn't remember NCL doing that. I'm just deciding if I Gould undertake organizing one for my upcoming Epic adventure.....hmmmm..

I like NCL's the best....they have the widest representation of officer's attend, and they all briefly describe their responsibilities, and invite questions. While RCI 'officially' organizes it, they don't have the same representation.

The NCL usually does provide coffee, tea, juice, and water, as well as some pastries. And the hotel director as mentioned, will give his personal cell number in the event of any problem. While the bridge tour is sometimes offered, you can usually always purchase the complete behind the scenes tour for far less than other lines charge. If your Platinum Latitudes, it is comped. And if you're in a suite, the concierge can sometimes get you a comp bridge tour.

That's why I wanted to make sure that people understand that it's not an automatic thing. It's very special when it is offered, and asking will not help you get one. In fact, it puts someone who cannot make that call in an uncomfortable situation.

You should not count on any special tour(s) as a result of the M & G. NCL sells their "behind the scenes" tour. Why would they want to give a big part of it away for free. I'll say a little more than a pp, if you get a special goodie, don't come on line and post about it. Then people start to ask for goodies and that may be ruining things.

If you are in a suite, you are usually invited - but not as part of the CC M&G. Different group.

Five of my seven cruises have been in a suite and I've only gone on a tour of the bridge twice....both on the Sky. My last sailing I was in the GV on the Jewel....asked for a tour as my sister had never been in one.........never got the invite! It doesn't matter what suite you're in...it's all up to the captain!

I've been on both RCCL and NCL and I'm going on both lines in the next two months. The meet and greet for RCCL has an official sign up process through CC, but I don't think there's one for NCL. RCCL put out a brunch spread and raffled off logo gifts. I didn't remember NCL doing that. I'm just deciding if I Gould undertake organizing one for my upcoming Epic adventure.....hmmmm..

It is worth organising the M&G if you like that sort of thing. Trust me... ;)

You may have cut it too close for them to get one booked. Usually done at least a month out, and you're right at 2 weeks out. Are you sure no one on your roll call has already set one up? It's usually the person that started the roll call unless they drop out or let someone else do it.

You may have cut it too close for them to get one booked. Usually done at least a month out, and you're right at 2 weeks out. Are you sure no one on your roll call has already set one up? It's usually the person that started the roll call unless they drop out or let someone else do it.

There is a sticky thread at the top of this board on how to set up a Meet and Greet.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1300907

As you can see, you are very close time-wise.

There is a sticky thread at the top of this board on how to set up a Meet and Greet.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1300907

As you can see, you are very close time-wise.

Which is exactly what I said.... We started working on ours 2 months out, and we had asked for a morning meeting. We were told it couldn't be accommodated.

We tend to volunteer on our roll calls to organise the meet and greets. We email the events co-ordinator in miami to advise we are setting it up and they confirm back. We then run a list on the roll call and nearer the sail date email numbers across to the events person. They then give us a time and location and we advertise it on the roll call.

We then make labels for everyone so that its easier to say hello.

We have been to 7 so far and had 2 invites to the bridge. It depends on the captain most of the time.

We have got to know quite a lot of the officers on ships and its great when they give you direct numbers and when they ask you to phone if there is a problem, they really mean it. They would rather put something right than read about it on cruise critic later.

We have met the captain and other crew on the Norwegian Meet and Greets. On a recent RCCL cruise someone from the cruise director's staff was there and gave out a small prize and we also got tickets to the ice show because the sign up for that was at the same time. I liked the NCL meet and greets better.