iPad 3G with AT&T wireless plan

jerbeth

I believe it will only work when you are in range of an AT&T tower without excessive additional charges, just like your cell phone.

So, if you are on a California Coastal cruise, you will be able to use it a lot. In Europe, not so much. But, if you take it with you in ports, you will probably be able to find all sorts of hot spots in bars, and restaurants, and often at the piers.

Will an iPad3G with a prepaid AT&T wireless plan be able to access the internet onboard without going through the ship's internet service?

It's much more expensive to use the ship's cellular connection than WiFi. The ship's cellular connection is probably $2.49 per minute. This is above and beyond any AT&T charges.

My advice is to put the iPad in Airplane Mode and then turn WiFi back on. Then connect to either the ship's WiFi or a free or low-cost WiFi hotspot in port. And this is easy to test before you leave home.

yes, right, it works great in US ports.

In Alaska, I have successfully used my iPad with AT&T 3G in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. I have checked baseball scores and sent work emails, this way.

Sometimes, I have to go out to the promenade deck, or the other side of the promenade deck, to get the signal. This worked for me in Seattle and Whittier.

I even got the signal from Port Angeles (Washington state) as we cruised by.

This way, I got my fix of baseball scores before arriving in Victoria.

AT&T 3G does not work for me in Vancouver or Victoria. Careful not to get stuck with expensive roaming when in International locations.

I'm not kidding, though, AT&T 3G is great in US ports, Florida, too!

yes' date=' right, it works great in US ports.

In Alaska, I have successfully used my iPad with AT&T 3G in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. I have checked baseball scores and sent work emails, this way.

Sometimes, I have to go out to the promenade deck, or the other side of the promenade deck, to get the signal. This worked for me in Seattle and Whittier.

I even got the signal from Port Angeles (Washington state) as we cruised by.

This way, I got my fix of baseball scores before arriving in Victoria.

AT&T 3G does not work for me in Vancouver or Victoria. Careful not to get stuck with expensive roaming when in International locations.

I'm not kidding, though, AT&T 3G is great in US ports, Florida, too![/quote']

Just curious I assume that you also have an I Phone. Why do people plan for cellular service on their IPad? Doesn't using your I Phone as a hot spot accomplish the same thing?

Is there an advantage just using the IPad?

Thanks.

Just curious I assume that you also have an I Phone. Why do people plan for cellular service on their IPad? Doesn't using your I Phone as a hot spot accomplish the same thing?

Thanks.

Yes, the method you suggested would work.

I use my iPhone, too, carrying it in my pocket for even quicker "fixes".

I like the larger screen and larger keyboard that the iPad provides, but this is just my personal preference.

Before I had my iPad, I used my iPhone exclusively for this purpose. When the fires were raging near Santa Barbara, in 2009, I used my iPhone to check news when landing in L.A. We did get to go whale watching in Santa Barbara, but I was worried.

Thanks.

I had my iPad before my iPhone, so it has 3G. However, now that I have an iPhone, I canceled the 3G plan. I, too, like using my iPad most of the time because it provides a better viewing experience, especially on the ship!

Cheers, Denise

Thanks.

It does and this is what we do. If you have an iphone there's really no need to have a 3G enabled ipad.

It does and this is what we do. If you have an iphone there's really no need to have a 3G enabled ipad.

Except for my personal preference of the iPad's larger screen and larger keyboard. This is really nice. As I stated earlier, this is personal preference.

The OP's question was whether an iPad with AT&T 3G would work, and the answer is that it does work well, in U.S. ports as does the iPhone.

While using one's iPhone as a hotspot work fine, there are a few drawbacks. Many of us are still on AT&T's "unlimited" plan you lose that when you turn on the hotspot feature. And the iPhone's battery can drain pretty fast when operating in hotspot mode.

Note: AT&T's unlimited plan isn't really unlimited and it's only a matter of time until they take it away.

"Just curious I assume that you also have an I Phone. Why do people plan for cellular service on their IPad? Doesn't using your I Phone as a hot spot accomplish the same thing?"

In response, not everyone has an I phone. We are still among the few who do not rely on cell phones and do not have a need to be instantaneously in touch at all times. Just have the iPad with 3G and was wondering about how it would work. Many thanks for the helpful responses.:)

While using one's iPhone as a hotspot work fine, there are a few drawbacks. Many of us are still on AT&T's "unlimited" plan you lose that when you turn on the hotspot feature. And the iPhone's battery can drain pretty fast when operating in hotspot mode.

Note: AT&T's unlimited plan isn't really unlimited and it's only a matter of time until they take it away.

I also have the "unlimited" plan but I do notice they prevent me from doing things like downloading an entire album until I get to a wifi spot. Whats up with that?

Anyway, I always use the ipad (it doesnt matter which version when you just used it on the internet) on the ship as my computer. I get free minutes as a perk, and find the best times to use the internet is mornings when it seems to be the quickest. Evenings are slow, everybody is online and it takes 5 + minutes to just log on to the system.

Several years ago I sailed solo and left DH home for 28 days. By day 3 I was missing him so bad I had to call and used my old Blackberry. I called him every 2-3 days mostly on the ship and a few times from ports and at the end my bill from AT&T was about $250 which I thought was cheap for the comfort it brought me to be able to call home whenever I needed to! Just in case, don't be afraid to use the cell phone on the ship, its not that expensive!

Will an iPad3G with a prepaid AT&T wireless plan be able to access the internet onboard without going through the ship's internet service?

Hi again,

Be careful about buying a prepaid plan, they are not refundable anymore and they used to be! You used to be able to buy a prepaid plan and whatever you did not use was refunded but that has changed. You would be smarter to buy prepaid texting, which is cheap (50 texts for $10) as long as you are off the ship and in an area with cell service.

Hope this helps

Here is the official answer wrt cellular usage on the ship:

Mobile Devices at Sea

Our advanced cellular network on board our ships allows you to make as well as receive calls on your personal mobile device. Mobile device service will be available for use when the ship is at sea, in international waters. All charges will be conveniently billed to you by your mobile device provider.

Your mobile device provider must have a roaming agreement with Maritime Communications Partner AS (MCP) in order for you to use your phone with this service. Not all prepaid phones are supported. Your mobile device must be able to roam internationally. BlackBerrys and other mobile data services may continue to receive messages while roaming on the ship’s network. For questions about your service or about pricing and billing, please contact your mobile device provider’s customer service department prior to sailing.

"Just curious I assume that you also have an I Phone. Why do people plan for cellular service on their IPad? Doesn't using your I Phone as a hot spot accomplish the same thing?"

In response, not everyone has an I phone. We are still among the few who do not rely on cell phones and do not have a need to be instantaneously in touch at all times. Just have the iPad with 3G and was wondering about how it would work. Many thanks for the helpful responses.:)

Thanks, Jerbeth, for your wise and soothing thoughts on this.

Enjoy your cruise, with your iPad :)

One of the things I enjoy, in U.S. Ports, is reading Google News, on my iPad,

with room service breakfast. Heaven!

For anyone with vision issues and manual dexterity issues, the iPad's larger screen and larger keyboard are a blessing.

PS - On my Alaska cruises, discovering that the White Sox won, the nite before, is an added joy :) All thanks to the iPad, of course :)

No. While you may have prepaid ATT for their data plan, the cellular service onboard (not ATT) will have no way to bill you for your onboard usage of their service.

As others have stated, you can use it in US ports. As an even cheaper, but reliable way to use your Ipad for data, you can go to an internet cafe, shoreside, and pay +/- $1. for 1/2 an hour of wifi....or even find a free hotspot.

The Caribbean islands are full of these places.

Thanks.

In addition to the aforementioned larger screen and keyboard:

I can use it, with Internet access, while sitting under a palm tree in Florida :)

I can use it, with Internet access, in a rest stop, on I-65, in Indiana.

I can use it, with Internet access, when visiting my elderly mother in Michigan.

I can thus show her Internet things she has never seen before. She doesn't have a computer, Internet access, or WiFi.

All this, not to mention reading Google News, with room service breakfast, while on Princess ships in Seattle, Juneau, and Ketchikan, and also while cruising by Port Angeles, WA.

For me, the iPad with AT&T 3G is the most amazing thing yet invented.

Happy travels!

In addition to the aforementioned larger screen and keyboard:

I can use it' date=' with Internet access, while sitting under a palm tree in Florida :)

I can use it, with Internet access, in a rest stop, on I-65, in Indiana.

I can use it, with Internet access, when visiting my elderly mother in Michigan.

I can thus show her Internet things she has never seen before. She doesn't have a computer, Internet access, or WiFi.

All this, not to mention reading Google News, with room service breakfast, while on Princess ships in Seattle, Juneau, and Ketchikan, and also while cruising by Port Angeles, WA.

For me, the iPad with AT&T 3G is the most amazing thing yet invented.

Happy travels![/quote']

I have an IPad as well. My question related to why not use the IPhone as a hotspot and use the IPad instead of paying for cell service on both. Basically giving you access from your phone.

The battery issue was mentioned, but I have not had that issue.

I agree that the IPad is a great tool except for just a few features. I still have to use my laptop occasionally at home, but I only use the IPad when I travel.

• 1 month later...

On the Sapphire's most recent cruise to Hawaii, I am pleased to report that AT&T 3G, with iPad, worked great in the Hawaiian ports of Honolulu, Lahaina, Nawilili, and Hilo.

It was a pleasure to read Google News, on the iPad, while eating room service breakfast:)

It was also a pleasure to check basketball scores and weather back home, while walking the promenade deck with my iPhone, using my USA Today app:)

I loved it!

Aloha :)

I have the iPad with 3G and service thru Verizon. I am considering using it for my blog. Maybe writing the blog offline and waiting till I can get to a port to post it using my 3G.I use blogspot.com. Has anyone tried this before and if so how did it work for you? I am referring to using the 3G. Also, thought of sending a text (.$50) with a link to blog. Of course, I would still need to access blogspot thru 3G to post.

It's much more expensive to use the ship's cellular connection than WiFi. The ship's cellular connection is probably $2.49 per minute. This is above and beyond any AT&T charges.

My advice is to put the iPad in Airplane Mode and then turn WiFi back on. Then connect to either the ship's WiFi or a free or low-cost WiFi hotspot in port. And this is easy to test before you leave home.

I am a relatively new iPad user and did not realize you could turn the wifi mode back on after engaging Airplane mode. I just tried it and even though selecting Airplane mode initially turned off wifi automatically, I was able to turn wifi back on. Thanks for the lesson!

I have the iPad with 3G and service thru Verizon. I am considering using it for my blog. Maybe writing the blog offline and waiting till I can get to a port to post it using my 3G.I use blogspot.com. Has anyone tried this before and if so how did it work for you? I am referring to using the 3G. Also, thought of sending a text (.$50) with a link to blog. Of course, I would still need to access blogspot thru 3G to post.

I did this with my iPhone for four months this winter; however, I only used 3G (or 4G) in Fort Lauderdale and St. Thomas where there was no additional charge. Otherwise, I found plenty of wifi in the Caribbean that was free, and only once paid for wifi (on Bonaire) because I was doing something critical. If you're using blogspot.com, set it up ahead of time so that you can send emails to make your posts. There are some limitations, but I have a lot more information that might help you, if you're interested. You can reach me at pescadoamarillo@gmail.com

Archived