Westerdam - port or starboard?

Grandma of 4

We have always been port side cabin and at Grand Turk we always were docked port to the dock but there is no guarantee that will always be the case. In San Juan the ship faces perpendicular to shore and you will have a view of Old San Juan from both sides. Depending if there is another ship docked, your view could be impacted.

We've been on same ship, at same port, sometimes back-to-back and the ship does not always dock the same side for any number of reasons including ship's maintenance, currents, wind, other ships in port etc

:confused: Huh?

If I am in a port side balcony entering San Juan, I will get a nice view of Morro Fort and the old city entering port. If I am in a starboard side balcony, I will get the same view departing San Juan. This assumes, of course, that the ship doesn't back out of the harbor.

I interpreted OP's question to mean they want a view during the day while the ship is docked. Perhaps they wish to sit on their veranda and watch the comings and goings while in port.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

I interpreted OP's question to mean they want a view during the day while the ship is docked. Perhaps they wish to sit on their veranda and watch the comings and goings while in port.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

You are probably correct in your interpretation. As you know, in many ports the port view may be looking directly into a warehouse of some other facility. With rare exceptions, I have never assigned much weight to which side of the ship I was on. I am more concerned on what deck and location on that deck if given those choices but each to his own.

The only reason I even commented is because I am very familiar with all three ports OP mentioned. We have visited all of them many times.

Otherwise, I agree with you. There often is no view of any appeal from either side of the ship. :)

Even if the ship's view of the port is blocked, it's fun watching people come and go from our ship's gangway and the ship docked beside us. In St. Maarten, I would opt for port as the best chance to have something fun/interesting to look at if you do not prefer the ocean view.

In Grand Turk we have been fortunate to dock with the starboard side facing the dock and port side facing the island. We have been there with other ships and starboard side faced them.

St Maarten -- Melodies picture says it all. Only difference for us -- we backed in and faced the Norwegian Epic on the port side.

San Juan -- same situation as Grand Turk.

Because my DH is deathly afraid of deep water we always book a cabin on the shallow side of the ship, therefore it varies....

:D:D:D:D:D I'll bet he only has a problem when the deep water is wet and is ok with the dry version. :)

In Grand Turk we have been fortunate to dock with the starboard side facing the dock and port side facing the island. We have been there with other ships and starboard side faced them.

St Maarten -- Melodies picture says it all. Only difference for us -- we backed in and faced the Norwegian Epic on the port side.

San Juan -- same situation as Grand Turk.

We've been lucky to always have been the only ship at Grand Turk every time we have been there and have always docked port to the dock. :) Happy days!!! :)

If I am in a port side balcony entering San Juan, I will get a nice view of Morro Fort and the old city entering port. If I am in a starboard side balcony, I will get the same view departing San Juan. This assumes, of course, that the ship doesn't back out of the harbor.

Correct.

The ship won't be backing up past El Morro... it is a bit of a distance away from where the ship docks:

old-san-juan-piers-aerial.jpg

More pictures and a map here: http://professorcruiseship.blogspot.com/2010/02/cruise-departure-port-san-juan-puerto.html

Archived