Picky Eaters?

TruRed76

As I am reading through most of the descriptions of the food, I am seeing very few menu items that I will actually eat as I am a picky eater (I admit it!). My husband is really looking forward to trying all the food but I am worried I am going to go hungry! I don't want meals consisting of hamburgers and pizza all the time, just plain pasta, white meat, or a simple salad would be great. Can I order changes to menu items in the MDR or should I just plan on eating big lunches in port and having snacks? We are sailing on the Summit on 4/6/13.

Thank you for any insight or advice!

Laura

I have been on several Celebrity cruises and I am a picky eater. I have never left the MDR hungry. If you get something that you can't eat, ask for an alternative. All of our waiters were more than willing to make sure our dining experiences were excellent. There was always something on the plainer side for me to eat. Order more appetizers if you need to. Salad is always available. We were on the Summit and loved everything about it. Don't worry, you'll have plenty to eat.

Thanks for the assurances! On my one and only previous cruise (not Celebrity) I was SO sick of the "buffet" food because the wait staff did not make me feel like it was ok to order more appetizers or another salad or something on the side.

I too am a bit picky, although most times its because certain ingredients are in the food that do not agree with me. After I ask if the plate contains any of the items that do not agree with me, I make my choices. I just sit and point to the items i wish.

If I want 2 soups I just tell the waiter 2 of this, 1 of that, 2 of this over here, etc... He sees where I am pointing and writes everything down.

Should something come that I do not like I simply say don't like and away the plate goes. The waiter usually will say is there something else I can bring you?

I don't think you will have too much trouble, and I do not believe you will go hungry.

Of note, on the left side of the menu, items that are always available, you can order a "Large" Ceaser Salad and add either, chicken breast, salmon, or even shrimp to it. It is quite filling.

Enjoy your cruise

Granted our last cruise was on RCI but I traveled with my 3 boys (then 14,14 & 18) and they are each picky in their own way and 2 have allergies. They were always able to get a plain steak or broiled chicken in the dining room - nothing green on it. And the pickiest of them all - no tomato sauce, ketchup, etc. eats shrimp, calamari, etc. so was always able to have a shrimp cocktail. My boys did not starve and neither will you. And maybe you will try something new - one tried duck and he loved it and now wants it all the time

Sharon

Interesting thread. I am the culinary equivalent of Father Flanagan; and, my wife possesses a plethora of food prejudices. As a result, the quality of our assessments of the food quality anywhere is essentially useless. I view most of the food comments herein to be of the same quality.

On all of our cruises--with Carnival, RCI and Celebrity we have and to deal with DW's food allergies and my diabetic issues. Our waiters and their assistants were always ready with extra ideas if we could not find anything on the menu that suited our needs. On the very first cruise we had little idea of what to do and finally our waiter asked us if we were having a problem. We explained and he took care of it and for the rest of the trip, he brought us the next day's menu at the end of our meal so he could have some extra time to give the kitchen a heads up if we needed something special. We are not fans of buffets so it was nice be able to enjoy the MDR each night and be greeted with smiles. Just ask and explain with a smile and it will all come to you.

In addition to what others have said, there is now a vegetarian menu each day; ask the waiter for it. There are additional pasta and salad and soup items on that.

I have never had a problem ordering no appetizer and two main courses one day, and three or four appetizers and no main course another.

Also, if there is something you would really like and don't see it on the menu, you can ask them to make it for the next day and they will almost always be able to do it (assuming it doesn't contain some odd ingredient that is not on the ship).

Thank you for all the replies - and it is nice to see that there are grown-up picky eaters out there :) And thanks for the heads-up on the vegetarian menu! It is good to know I have other options out there. I figured there would have to be certain accommodations for special diets and allergies; I just felt bad asking because I simply did not *like* something.

And my husband is the complete opposite of me! Thankfully our kids our showing more signs of his palate than mine - my 7-year old daughter already eats way more foods than me.

Yes.

When your waiter comes over, tell Him or herexactlywhat you like, and you get it, if you are unhappy, watch out for the head waiter they will pamper you to death.

They are there to make you happy, and by day two or three you need not ask anymore , they already know ya as family.:)

• 2 months later...

This is too funny... I am a picky eater and searched the threads looking for "Picky Eater." I am close to booking the Infinity but was wondering about this very thing. I like RCCI for that reason - they always have a plain fish, plain steak, plain chicken breast and pasta with marinara every night. It sounds like they have something very similar each night?

This is too funny... I am a picky eater and searched the threads looking for "Picky Eater." I am close to booking the Infinity but was wondering about this very thing. I like RCCI for that reason - they always have a plain fish, plain steak, plain chicken breast and pasta with marinara every night. It sounds like they have something very similar each night?

Yes, plenty of plain options available on Celebrity; in the off chance you do not find things to your liking speak to the Maitre'D about your preferences and they will do their best to have items available for you for the duration of the cruise. Since mass market cruise ships have to serve food to thousands of people of varying prices, they error on the side of having "plain" foods versus challenging or exotic foods. While they try to have food that appeals to just about everybody, most of the foods skew more towards being "safe" foods that would have wide appeal.

I'm as picky as they come, and I have no issues finding something to eat on Celebrity.

In the MDR - if i dont like a nightly special, on the everyday menu theres a really good chicken breast (I forget if it's rosemary chicken or what it is, but it's very tasty).

I have no issues in the buffet either.

Honestly, picky eaters need not worry.

I like plain everything....i dont eat most condiments. Don't eat salad dressing.

You'll be fine :-)

For the OP and the other "discriminating" diners - I would suggest in the evening choosing the assigned dining so that you will have a waiter that becomes familiar with your preferences. OR if you want to do the select / open dining, try to get the same waiter every night. Almost all the wait staff will be very eager to please and accommodate but it will just be easier for them if you do not have a different waiter each evening.

For the OP and the other "discriminating" diners - I would suggest in the evening choosing the assigned dining so that you will have a waiter that becomes familiar with your preferences. OR if you want to do the select / open dining, try to get the same waiter every night. Almost all the wait staff will be very eager to please and accommodate but it will just be easier for them if you do not have a different waiter each evening.

I've not even needed to do that. All the waiters have been fine if i've had any special requests though honestly, i've not had to ask for much from them. There is something for everyone on these cruises :-)

Reviews regarding food is very subjective and in most respects come down to something other than just food alone like: ;)

• International experiences of different cultures and cuisines will influence a review.
  • It is a matter of expectations. If expectations are low there is a probability of a good review if the expectations are high there is a probability of a poor review.
  • An individuals level of education will also influence a review
  • An individuals level of income will influence a review
  • Individuals who entertain clients on a regular basses in 5-Star restaurants with unrestricted expense accounts will influence their review.
  • The type and quality of food a person eats in their day-to-day lives will influence a review
  • Quality of food from the embarkation port plays a large factor in food quality
  • Length of the cruise is a factor
  • One should also factor luck into the equation

Last but not least it is just that everyone is different. I for one do not like fast foods and routinely avoid restraints without white tablecloths.

Archived