Whose had a call from the "Upgrade Fairy"?

Hi there!

Somewhere on another thread we've been discussing the possibility of a call from the Upgrade Fairy once the cruise is fully booked.

Has anyone here been so lucky and if so, did you have to pay extra for the priviledge?

Was it worth the money if you had to pay extra and would you do it again?

Thanks - Gae

No. I haven't had that call yet. My sister has, she got upgraded from inside to a balcony cabin. It was on a four day cruise from Auckland to Sydney. Can't remember which ship now, all I remember it was with Princess.

I don't think there would be much chance of an upgrade if the ship was fully booked.

Princess gave me a double upgrade a few years ago. There was no extra cost for me so it was great.

Last year they offerded me a downgrade! Obstructed to inside with 50% of the fare back as on board credit. It ended up being a great deal.

Sometimes you can be lucky:)

We have had a few upgrades. Most have been just up a deck or two but two of the upgrades have been great.

The first on we got was on the Sun Princess where a day before the cruise we found out that we had been given a second room. They were basically just across the ship from each other so that was great.

The best upgrade we had however was on the Radiance of the Seas on our last cruise where we found out that we had been upgraded from a Junior Suite to a Grand Suite. To make it even better it turned out to be a hump cabin right in front of the Royal Suite. As well as receiving all the gold card benefits. It turns out that on the cruise most of the Grand Suite passengers were booking in a Junior suite and got upgraded. So that was amazing to get that upgrade, in one of the best Grand Suite rooms.

We have never have had to pay for our upgrades though. But it does even out with the amount of times they have changed our cruise before sailing, either had the cruise canceled or dramatically changed.

I have had a few upgrades to very decent cabins. It normally occurs when the cruise line did not assign a cabin number and I booked a guaranteed sailing and was not waitlisted etc. Example on the Arcadia Grand Odyssey last year I booked the lowest category balcony cabin. The number I was assigned was a handicapped cabin. I am not disabled in any way and told them that they need this cabin for disabled people. They upgraded me to the highest balcony category just short of the mini suites. Reason was all the regular balcony cabins were booked out.

I have been upgraded to a full suite on Princess on a 2 night sailing after booking the highest grade balcony short of suite and was bumped up a few categories. Once again a cabin number was not assigned and as a result I was upgraded. Guess they needed the cabins.

Out of all the cruises I booked where I had a cabin number assigned at time of booking I have never been upgraded.

I suspect the upgrades have something to do with this.

Out of all the cruises I booked where I had a cabin number assigned at time of booking I have never been upgraded.

I suspect the upgrades have something to do with this.

I think you may be right here, we have only ever had an upgrade when a cabin number was not assigned and this happened after final payment.went from an ocean view to a balcony. Mostly we have picked the cabin we want and yes, we haven't been upgraded but we are in the cabin we wanted as well.:D

I think you may be right here, we have only ever had an upgrade when a cabin number was not assigned and this happened after final payment.went from an ocean view to a balcony. Mostly we have picked the cabin we want and yes, we haven't been upgraded but we are in the cabin we wanted as well.:D

Can't imagine we will ever be the recipients of an upgrade as we require an Accessible Cabin!:( Would be nice but..... Chances are zero I would guess

We were upgraded from a balcony to a full suite right up the front on Sapphire. I was terrified of the movement but was also excited. Two days prior to sailing, we received a call from our TA saying ship was oversold and they needed to offload two passengers! We accepted their offer which was very good and I never did get to experience the full suite! They say things happen for a reason!

Nicki

We met a couple on our Dawn Princess cruise in November that told us they had been on another Princess cruise earlier in the year on Ocean Princess (I think) and had travelled with her mum in two cabins, one balcony, one inside across the hall. They were offered a major upgrade for free, to a suite that would accommodate the 3 of them because Princess had 4 passengers wanting two cabins. They chose NOT to take the upgrade as they thought they wouldn't be able have 'special cuddle times.'

We met a couple on our Dawn Princess cruise in November that told us they had been on another Princess cruise earlier in the year on Ocean Princess (I think) and had travelled with her mum in two cabins, one balcony, one inside across the hall. They were offered a major upgrade for free, to a suite that would accommodate the 3 of them because Princess had 4 passengers wanting two cabins. They chose NOT to take the upgrade as they thought they wouldn't be able have 'special cuddle times.'

I would have done the same thing:D

Hi,

Although I'm not from Australia nor New Zealand, we were on Celebrity Soltice on 1/4/13. We were booked in a Royal Suite. All of the Celebrity online info including the luggage tags that we received 3 weeks before the cruise said that we were in the RS. However, once onboard, we found that we had been upgraded to the Penthouse Suite by the Upgrade Fairy. We were truly overwhelmed and still feel that way. I never expected to be upgraded and will never be again. But, this was wonderful and feel very honored that the fairy visited us.

Thank you Celebrity.

Hi,

Although I'm not from Australia nor New Zealand, we were on Celebrity Soltice on 1/4/13. We were booked in a Royal Suite. All of the Celebrity online info including the luggage tags that we received 3 weeks before the cruise said that we were in the RS. However, once onboard, we found that we had been upgraded to the Penthouse Suite by the Upgrade Fairy. We were truly overwhelmed and still feel that way. I never expected to be upgraded and will never be again. But, this was wonderful and feel very honored that the fairy visited us.

Thank you Celebrity.

Congrats, I hope you visited again.:D

We have been upgraded many times on Princess in all different categories, we have been upgraded a few times from inside to Balcony, from inside to window, and these have all been free.

The best upgrade we have ever had was on the Sun Princess, we received a phone call asking if we would like to pay $250 each to upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite. We took up the offer and never regretted it as everyone knows on the Sun the mini suites are equivalent to a full suite on the newer ships. :D

Now we tend to choose our cabins and mark no upgrades. :)

our best upgrade on the Rhapsody a few years ago we were upgraded from a window on deck 3 to an aft suite on deck 8 and we were doing a b2b for 24 days and on the 2nd leg the cabin was vacant so we were allowed to stay there for the entire cruise

our best upgrade on the Rhapsody a few years ago we were upgraded from a window on deck 3 to an aft suite on deck 8 and we were doing a b2b for 24 days and on the 2nd leg the cabin was vacant so we were allowed to stay there for the entire cruise

I like the upgrade fairy to visit me on long haul flights ( I have had a few where I went form economy to business). Makes the journey that little bit more comfortable and enjoyable.:D

Hi,

Thank you Celebrity.

Congrats, that's some upgrade!

Hi,

Thank you Celebrity.

What a fantastic upgrade! So glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Our two upgrades have been the times we have booked a guarantee stateroom. Other times we have chosen the cabin. Now we are awaiting an allocation for a cruise in 5 weeks. We have booked a guarantee second lowest balcony, and the ship is full. I reckon it's a lifeboat or the Captain's cabin, lol. :D:D:D

Our two upgrades have been the times we have booked a guarantee stateroom. Other times we have chosen the cabin. Now we are awaiting an allocation for a cruise in 5 weeks. We have booked a guarantee second lowest balcony, and the ship is full. I reckon it's a lifeboat or the Captain's cabin, lol. :D:D:D

I'd love to know what you end up with!

Please keep us posted!

Only the two for us - one was an upgrade from balcony to Sky Suite on Azamara some years ago and the other was on QM2 from a guarantee D8 inside to D2 inside but in a much better location.

Sadly no others - but we do usually choose a cabin number at booking so are happy with that (well as happy as can be expected when a suite would be so nice!). Most of the ships have been pretty full as well so unlikely to occur.

Never had an upsell either but would like to get one.

Have had 3 upgrades from 15 cruises. Oceanview to balcony on Oriana, junior suite from balcony on Rhapsody and inside lower deck to a higher deck on Princess. But today the 'fairy' rang with an offer for Friday's 5 night Radiance cruise to upgrade from our favourite hump cabin to a junior suite. But at the cost of $300 each. We declined the offer!

On our second cruise we were offered a paid upgrade from an outside to a balcony on Holland America's Rotterdam. USD899 each for 25 days from Venice to Rio. Best couple of thousand we ever spent. Much bigger room and that balcony was wonderful. We sailed out of Venice, looking down on to Piazza San Marco, sat on our balcony, sipping champagne and chatting to our new neighbours. It was AMAZING.

We took a two nighter on Sun Princess last March and got upgraded (free) from a low cat outside to a BB balcony.

Five weeks away from our second Sun Princess cruise. We booked a BE gtd and have been allocated a BC. Only a minor upgrade as such as it's the same cabin, just on a higher deck but people paid more for those BCs than our BE (if that's what they requested) and those dollars are sure better in our pockets:)

Archived