Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

CCL Triumph probably won't be trackable due to lack of adequate power--it seems likely that they won't use power to maintain tracking since there is a USCG vessel and two/three tugs with them. However, you are correct--the Vessel Tracker and Marine Traffic is spot on when they are in port, but seems to not have as good of data when ships are at sea.

Yeah I kind of expected Triumph to missing from the tracker sites but I thought the tugs would appear. It does seem that the AIS coverage around Mobile isnt very good anyway. She should be close to Mobile Bay in any case by now?

And there are people living in much worse conditions all over the world, every day, who don't have the knowledge that they will eventually sleep in a clean bed after having a hot meal and long shower.

And I'm sure that's not a popular opinion, but I'm not here to be popular.

I've actually never seen that kind of vacation in my parts advertised, nor seen a brochure, but I imagine they would not be very successful.

May want to turn on the Today show... Supposedly interviewing a passenger onboard.

Watching now. Land HO!

They say 5 PM.

A Jamie Baker is talking right now, who is on board. It sounds like someone is using a death ray on her.

She applauds the crew, but says communication has been horrid. The ship sounds like it is stilli listing.

Her toilet only worked for an hour, and has been using bags since.

Remember this was a four day booze crooze on its last night before the. fire.

Probably a good deal of the vomiting and sleeping in the hallways would have occured in the normal course of such a themed cruise anyhow

I have been on the Triumph many times and have never seen anything like that.

Probably a good deal of the vomiting and sleeping in the hallways would have occured in the normal course of such a themed cruise anyhow

Oh, please!! Comments like this add no value to the thread and are unneccesary!!

Pat

I've also never seen anything like that... Not even when cruising with hundreds of college kids during Spring Break nor while cruising during the Super Bowl...

Not sure where you get your perception of cruising...

Don't know how they plan to disembark in an orderly fashion but it sounds like there may be more than a few with serious medical issues to attend to immediately...

I have my doubts about a 45 degree list... I'm sure there is some listing but 45 degrees seems exaggerated (as mentioned by Jamie Baker onboard)... I'm sure it FEELS like 45 but...

Here’s something to think about –

The news is making the conditions sound “life threatening” and “deplorable.” Carnival is making the conditions sound “inconvenient” and “challenging.” My thoughts are:

The Coast Guard is there, with the ship, has been since Monday. IF the conditions were as bad as the news is making it sound – the Coast Guard would order the evacuation of the ship!!!

The Coast Guard is the ruling authority. If they thought it would be safer to transfer the passengers off the ship than to leave them on the ship – they would have ordered it.

The ship is feeding the passengers – 3 ships have dropped off food and supplies. Some power has been restored to the galley, so there is some warm food. Toilets are working. Most elevators are working. The comedians are performing, as well as other activities to try and keep everyone entertained.

And you know all this how? Comedians, yup. :rolleyes:

Given all Carnival's problems (Splendor, Triumph and Costa), and since they have a relatively small cruising footprint, why doesn't Carnival keep a ship in reserve (since the older ones are being rehabbed anyway) -- or at the very least ask sister ships in the vicinity to assist with accepting passengers who are in dire need (elderly, families with small children, handicapped, etc).

In looking at this map, Carnival is criss-crossing itself all over the Caribbean at the height of the season.

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/cruiseships.phtml

It's understandable if their ships were thousands of miles apart...but they are not. Why are they putting people though this misery?

Because they would have to pass the costs along to their passengers, and God forbid someone has to pay $50 more for a cruise.

I recently did a four day on Triumph and never once got the impression it was a "booze cruise". I never noticed anyone who appeared to be drunk. I'm sure there were some, as on any cruise, but they weren't bad enough to stand out. No vomiting or sleeping in hallways either. Guess I missed out.

CCL Triumph probably won't be trackable due to lack of adequate power--it seems likely that they won't use power to maintain tracking since there is a USCG vessel and two/three tugs with them. However, you are correct--the Vessel Tracker and Marine Traffic is spot on when they are in port, but seems to not have as good of data when ships are at sea.
I don't see anything around Mobile at all - looks like the AIS isn't all that great in that area. The data isn't good when the ships are farther out because they are out of range of the receivers. When my son was out at sea I could go for weeks without seeing his ship on Marine Traffic.

The news is making the conditions sound “life threatening” and “deplorable.” Carnival is making the conditions sound “inconvenient” and “challenging.” My thoughts are:

The Coast Guard is there, with the ship, has been since Monday. IF the conditions were as bad as the news is making it sound – the Coast Guard would order the evacuation of the ship!!!

The Coast Guard is the ruling authority. If they thought it would be safer to transfer the passengers off the ship than to leave them on the ship – they would have ordered it.

The ship is feeding the passengers – 3 ships have dropped off food and supplies. Some power has been restored to the galley, so there is some warm food. Toilets are working. Most elevators are working. The comedians are performing, as well as other activities to try and keep everyone entertained.

My concern is all the turntables silenced since the power outage.

I imagine a big of a Lighter atmosphere had there been a Steele Band, or a 4 piece band playing acoustic.

ditto about the 45 degrees. dinnerware wouldn't stay on smooth tables and people not used to roughing it would have a incredibly hard time trying to sleep. just saying you are going to sleep with your head up it might be hard to find room in your cabin to stretch out and sleep on the floor in the correct alignment. i bet the best public space would get picked quickly.

Okay... But that's not the picture that was just painted by a passenger onboard who was interviewed by NBC this morning...

You're welcome to continue with your delusions... I'll take the word of those who are getting off the vessel today...

...This is not unique to Carnival. I follow several cruise lines her on CC because I sail a variety of lines, but you can read the same complaints about the same ships. The AC on ship A does not work in January of 2008. Then another complaint it does not work in June of 2008. Then again January of 2009, and June 2009, January of 2010, June 2010, January 2011, June 2011 and on and on, AT SOME POINT you have to say that ship A should not be on the seas. The line should dry-dock the ship and FIX the problem. But instead, they take the cheap way out and keep selling cabins KNOWING the AC does not work. And of course the Cheerleaders say, things break instead of saying, FIX THE DARNED PROBLEM...

Ready for the flaming I expect.:eek:

No flaming here...about a year ago we were trying to make an informed decision about our 25th anniversary cruise. We were booked on a HAL ship that had had some bad reports of plumbing and A/C problems. Since this was a milestone cruise, our first HAL cruise, and we were booking a very expensive suite, we wanted to make sure we knew as much as possible what we were buying!

Things came to a head during an April trans-canal cruise when some CC members were without air conditioning or properly working plumbing for the entire cruise!:( Of course, there was a raging debate on the HAL board, and one poster was insistent that passengers shouldn't expect that their A/C and plumbing would work and be included in their fare!:eek: I believe I was called a name by that poster, and probably came as close as I've ever been to getting sent to time out on Cruise Critic!:rolleyes:

Every line has their cheerleaders who believe their favorite can do no wrong. In truth, every cruise line has areas where it excels and areas for improvement. Only the die-hard proponents of a certain line think otherwise.

What troubles me, it seems Carnival learned little following the Splendor misshap.

A few lifetimes ago I was TA when the Monarch if the seas his a reef in Phillipsburg harbor, was sinking and Bridge officer beached her at the entrance to the harbor.

Abandon ship alarm sounded and in the early morning hours guests were evacuated to waiting busses ashore. Nothing more was arranged and for many it was an impossible mess. (the bus driver for my 4 couples was brilliant. They came ashore without luggage so he took them to a clothing optional resort). What a hoot!

Anyway, after months of study RCI created teams of staff ready to respond to any catastrophe as required.

Years later a friend was cruising on RCI to Bermuda on a big family reunion. Her husband died suddenly on the beach. RCI had a staff member there exclusively fir the family to solve any problems.

I love Royal Caribbean, married on the Radiance in Alaska. They don't always get it right but that time.....they did in creating their catastrophe teams.

Carnival seems to have learned little from the Splendor. Very bad show, Carnival.

We found out our daughter died while on the last night of a Carnival cruise....we were assigned a staff member also, who helped us through the night, the whole debarkation process, up to and including getting into transportation home. Point is, Carnival does get it right, sometimes, too. I'm sure they have a catastrophe team in Mobile waiting for the pax. And I am not a Carnival cheerleader, IMO some people are being a little harsh.

I, for one, am praying for the safety of all pax and crew members onboard Triumph, and their families.

Archived