"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

First I would like to say I am happy Quantum is sailing from Bayonne.

But my question is why more ships don't sail from Baltimore. They have a beautiful terminal and parking is so easy. Enchantment and now Granduer is always sold out for winter sailings. I wondered why larger ships don't sail from here

I lived in Portsmouth between Massholes and Maniacs at one point in my life

My brother and I drove many times up to Montreal and down to Boston and also

to NY and especially to EWR.

You could not do it in 6 hours from the Montreal down to Bayonne, NJ, unless you were very lucky on I87

I can clearly remember a previous trip to see the Fall Colours from EWR and seemed to drive forever North over a swamp ??

I'm just going by what Google maps says; usually it's pretty accurate with the travelling times around where I live (but I don't have big city traffic).

Regardless, it doesn't change my point even if it takes 8 or 10 hours - there are lots of people in the area who don't need to fly to get there.

The Setting: RCCL headquarters, Executive offices earlier this afternoon.

[ RING RING.... RING RING -- picking up phone]

:):):):):)

That post was really funny - and clever! Really!

Some people seem to take things way to seriously when it comes to discussing the NJ/NY part of the equation. It's not personal - it's about business.

Rest assured...there has been alot of communication already going to RCI regarding their choice of port for Quantum. There will be plenty more.

Put simply - it's a real shame to have their latest flagship positioned with such risk and limitations in terms of passenger access. There is no doubt there is a large passenger candidate population in the NJ/NY area. That said, once you get outside the NorthEast...things will be impacted quite differently in terms of any attraction to traveling there for a Caribbean cruise.

Just in 4 cruise site forums and 2 other locations alone...the feedback has been very consistent:

- People in the NorthEast are excited and looking forward to Quantum (the WOW view)

- Many people outside that part of the country are frustrated and moving into alternatives in the future (the FAIL view)

Informal polls of frequent cruisers....with far more frequent past cruises than our own pace...reflect very similar results.

Those things are reality and won't change no matter how much any of us debate the point from either vantage point. So at least now everyone knows the initial plan...and can proceed accordingly.

First I would like to say I am happy Quantum is sailing from Bayonne.

But my question is why more ships don't sail from Baltimore. They have a beautiful terminal and parking is so easy. Enchantment and now Granduer is always sold out for winter sailings. I wondered why larger ships don't sail from here

I believe there's an issue with the bigger ships not being able to sail under the bridges from the Baltimore port.

That post was really funny - and clever! Really!

CRUISEFAN0001 -- I was hoping you took it that way! Was meant to be lighthearted. (Almost didn't post it.) At the end of the day, it's about cruises. And everyone on these boards is passionate about them. It's all good. :)

Put simply - it's a real shame to have their latest flagship positioned with such risk and limitations in terms of passenger access. There is no doubt there is a large passenger candidate population in the NJ/NY area. That said, once you get outside the NorthEast...things will be impacted quite differently in terms of any attraction to traveling there for a Caribbean cruise.

But the point is, for Quantum, RCCL won't need to reach beyond the Northeast...it's got 100 million people within driving distance! That's equivalent of 32% of the US population.

In comparison, about 30 million people are within driving distance of most of the major Florida ports.

Add in the folks in the 40 million or so people in the midwest and Great Lakes for whom its a short flight and you're getting close to half the US population for whom a cruise out of Bayonne is more convenient than a cruise out of Florida.

Don't get me wrong - nothing is going to overtake Florida as the #1 cruise center - it's got more itinerary options, is closer to the warm weather and has infrastructure already in place.

However, for many folks, this comes down to cost - and profits for RCCL. As a price sensitive customer, I'd willingly pay up to $400 more per person just to sail out of Bayonne, because I'll save that much by not having to purchase airfare...that also means RCCL can charge $800 more per cabin and still come out as a cheaper deal!

CRUISEFAN0001 -- I was hoping you took it that way! Was meant to be lighthearted. (Almost didn't post it.) At the end of the day, it's about cruises. And everyone on these boards is passionate about them. It's all good. :)

Exactly.

Some folks who can't understand the downside seem to feel insulted rather than informed. It's a business.

But the point is, for Quantum, RCCL won't need to reach beyond the Northeast...it's got 100 million people within driving distance! That's equivalent of 32% of the US population.

WOO HOO.

Yeah...when I think about going on a nice cruise...I'm headed right out to the garage to drive to the nearest port............... NOT.

I wonder how wonderful those who drive will enjoy the ice and snow during those long winter periods. The weather affects EVERYONE...

Sorry...but that math simply doesn't justify the issues tied to weather and higher travel costs...location, location, location - a questionable and bad business choice.

I find it amazing how both NCL and RCCL both made the same terrible mistake by bringing their new ships to the New York area.;)

Royal Caribbean has more ships coming in both the Sunshine and Oasis class to appease the whiners, as the new ships will obviously not sail from the Northeast. RCCL needed to upgrade on the Explorer in order to compete with the Breakaway. This is a huge market area with big bucks.

We in the Northeast are used to bad weather, we drive in it daily during the winter. We drive to work , drive to the store, and drive over an hour to the airport to fly to a port that some would describe as more favorable. So far the airlines refuse to pick me up at my house because the weather is bad. We also leave the day before the cruise as most do anyway, flying or not.

Some people on this board need to relax and stop making predictions about ships and then freak out when they are wrong. RCCL has many wonderful ships and more will be coming after Quantum to a port near you.:)

Cruise Critic used to be a place where people would help each other and find invaluable information about cruising. I can't tell you how many times we have gone somewhere while in port, or on an excursion while cruising, and someone in my group would ask how did I ever find out about this cool place or activity. I would always say Cruise Critic with a big smile. Now it seems as it has turned into a place to argue and complain and I unfortunately find myself being drawn in. I guess I should just try to avoid the posts that raise the blood pressure.

Happy cruising everyone.:D

I'm just going by what Google maps says; usually it's pretty accurate with the travelling times around where I live (but I don't have big city traffic).

Regardless, it doesn't change my point even if it takes 8 or 10 hours - there are lots of people in the area who don't need to fly to get there.

It usually takes us about 7 hours from Montreal to Manhattan, customs and bathroom breaks included. As a family of 5, we are very excited to to save the approximately $600-700 on flights to Florida during the popular time (when the kids are out of school), even if cruising from NY comes with a premium for convenience. :p Can't wait to see the actually schedules come out!

Yeah...when I think about going on a nice cruise...I'm headed right out to the garage to drive to the nearest port............... NOT.

Agree 100% .... until 3 weeks ago when we drove to the cruise port for the first time. Incredibly easy. Cannot over state how liberating it was to not have to fly to the ship. It will be tough to justify flying to a cruise from now on. No airfare, no worrying about bags being over 50 lbs, no worrying about baggage fees, no fighting over scarce overhead storage, no worrying about the 2.7" inches of legroom, no worrying about shuttles to/from a hotel or cruise port, no waking at 3:30 AM to get your cheap flight, no worries about 3 oz sizes of toothpaste, no rental cars, etc...

And when the cruise was over? We were headed home literally within 5 mins of getting through Customs. Believe me, I like palm trees as much as the next guy but I'm OK waiting 'til day 2 of my cruise before I see one

Agree 100% .... until 3 weeks ago when we drove to the cruise port for the first time. Incredibly easy. Cannot over state how liberating it was to not have to fly to the ship. It will be tough to justify flying to a cruise from now on. No airfare, no worrying about bags being over 50 lbs, no worrying about baggage fees, no fighting over scarce overhead storage, no worrying about the 2.7" inches of legroom, no worrying about shuttles to/from a hotel or cruise port, no waking at 3:30 AM to get your cheap flight, no worries about 3 oz sizes of toothpaste, no rental cars, etc...

And when the cruise was over? We were headed home literally within 5 mins of getting through Customs. Believe me, I like palm trees as much as the next guy but I'm OK waiting 'til day 2 of my cruise before I see one

Like! ;)

It usually takes us about 7 hours from Montreal to Manhattan, customs and bathroom breaks included. As a family of 5, we are very excited to to save the approximately $600-700 on flights to Florida during the popular time (when the kids are out of school), even if cruising from NY comes with a premium for convenience. :p Can't wait to see the actually schedules come out!

I should also mention that it takes us about 7 hours door to door from Montreal to Miami or Fort Lauderdale if you factor in the transit to the airport, parking, checking in, security and customs....that's just on our end. Add on debarking the aircraft, waiting for luggage then flagging a cab or waiting for hotel shuttle. Phew...I need a nap now.:rolleyes:

Yeah my estimate was only driving time, since bathroom breaks can range any where from 5 minutes to gas up and go to the washroom (me) to an hour long stop eating at a sit down restaurant (some friends I've traveled with).

I didn't even think of border waits though - where I cross, "busy" is 3 cars ahead of me haha. How long does crossing the border take coming from Montreal?

I find it amazing how both NCL and RCCL both made the same terrible mistake by bringing their new ships to the New York area.;)

Royal Caribbean has more ships coming in both the Sunshine and Oasis class to appease the whiners, as the new ships will obviously not sail from the Northeast. RCCL needed to upgrade on the Explorer in order to compete with the Breakaway. This is a huge market area with big bucks.

We in the Northeast are used to bad weather, we drive in it daily during the winter. We drive to work , drive to the store, and drive over an hour to the airport to fly to a port that some would describe as more favorable. So far the airlines refuse to pick me up at my house because the weather is bad. We also leave the day before the cruise as most do anyway, flying or not.

Some people on this board need to relax and stop making predictions about ships and then freak out when they are wrong. RCCL has many wonderful ships and more will be coming after Quantum to a port near you.:)

Cruise Critic used to be a place where people would help each other and find invaluable information about cruising. I can't tell you how many times we have gone somewhere while in port, or on an excursion while cruising, and someone in my group would ask how did I ever find out about this cool place or activity. I would always say Cruise Critic with a big smile. Now it seems as it has turned into a place to argue and complain and I unfortunately find myself being drawn in. I guess I should just try to avoid the posts that raise the blood pressure.

Happy cruising everyone.:D

I agree w/ you, I have to hear my kids argue, usually all day long everyday about something. I try and tell them let's all get along and be nice :) CC is a great place, but we should all hear everyones opinion and not take it personally and realize its just someone opinion and it's ok to have a different opinion, Happy Cruising :)

I agree w/ you, I have to hear my kids argue, usually all day long everyday about something. I try and tell them let's all get along and be nice :)

Then again....not enough parents listen well to their kids.

Also, having alternative views and being able to discuss them is what made this country great. Being PC on every topic is simply a symptom of blindness. ;)

Questioning the port choice for Quantum is perfectly reasonable. Unfortunately, rather than discuss it logically...those with self-serving local bias have chosen to debate rather than discuss. They're the ones who need the "time out".

In the mean time...there are also related discussions on this topic:

1) The NJ choice may only hold for the first year before the ship(s) get relocated

2) Anthem may not sail from the same port (Baltimore could be an alternative)

3) If the terminal doesn't get a major facelift, these plans could all change

Having seen the significant construction and progress at the terminal in San Juan, as well as harbor improvements underway in San Juan for the future Oasis and Sunshine ship stops there...it's clear, they are taking things seriously. We'll see if the same holds true for NJ.

To answer FIRELT5's original post, yes the Quantum is coming to Bayonne! No discussions or debates are needed, the decision has been made. If you don't like it, don't sail on her, but deal with it! The whiners, cry babies, petition signers, and self proclaimed cruise industry economic experts (I did not realize 3 cruises made one an expert) are not needed and will not be missed on the ship.

The OP's question has been answered. I know he's happy, as it was time for the Northeast to get a new ship. Discussion over.:D

I'm out. I'll let someone else deal with the trolls.

In my opinion, all RCCL ships are awesome, each in their own way. Enjoy which ever one you decide to cruise on. Wanted to end PC.;)

2) Anthem may not sail from the same port (Baltimore could be an alternative)

Nothing larger than a panamax ship (in RC's case, the Radiance Class) can fit under the bridges to get in and out of Baltimore. Safe to say Anthem will not be sailing out of Baltimore.

Nothing larger than a panamax ship (in RC's case, the Radiance Class) can fit under the bridges to get in and out of Baltimore. Safe to say Anthem will not be sailing out of Baltimore.

Good to know. Thanks.

Guess another (further south) port might be needed then down the road.

Let's be clear.

Too many NY/NJ homers are simply taking the clear poor business judgement on this all too personally. It's not about you, your state, or your family.

Launching a flagship new ship like this from a port that any sensible person knows has significant seasonally poor weather and is also far more expensive that other ports makes no common sense. While there may have indeed been another ship or two sailing from that port - the port itself in nearly embarrasing when compared to others that reflect a quality operation.

Flying into that part of the country costs more, hotels cost more, car rentals cost more, food costs more....and when added to 20-40 days a year where things come to a grinding halt for bad weather all point to a cruise market that is significantly restricted to those near the area and tollerant of the considtions.

As one who flies to that area with some regularity, I have a realistic perspective of the pros and cons. Having corresponded with more than 60 regular cruisers (some of which have been on more than 50 cruises), there is a clear consensus that this decision for this port is a big mistake. To a person, all but 2 have now eliminated Quantum in their future plans - no matter how neat the ship is itself.

I also know of at least 6 people who have already written to the RCI management expressing their dismay at the port location.

The posting here is a sliver of the big picture on this topic. Pretending that this is not a business mistake is a head-in-the-sand scenario.

To those planning on proceeeding with Quantum - enjoy. Nothing worng with that for them. But rest assured...Quantum is no longer on many people's plans for future cruising.

So you are saying that 60 cruiser's represents a clear consensus of the 50 million + people in the target market area? I think not... Methinks the consensus of 60 crusier's thinking the homeporting of the Quantum in Bayonne is a mistake will not have an impact on Royal Caribbean to move the ship from Bayonne.....:rolleyes:

So you are saying that 60 cruiser's represents a clear consensus of the 50 million + people in the target market area? I think not... Methinks the consensus of 60 crusier's thinking the homeporting of the Quantum in Bayonne is a mistake will not have an impact on Royal Caribbean to move the ship from Bayonne.....:rolleyes:
Maybe the 6 people who wrote their letters will have an impact??:D And let's not forget there are also petitions been sent in e-mails!!;):D

:D Maybe those 60 people are the top market research people in the country.

NY/NJ is centrally located in the Northeast with New England to its north and Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC to its south.

As someone from Boston, a cruise from Baltimore is still a fail because driving to the port is a lost day. Driving to NY/NJ is only 3.5 hours and avoids the hassles and costs of flying. If we drive in the day before, there is plenty to do in NYC, even preferable to a day in Florida (even in bad weather). Quantum is on our list as I am still a bit nervous about getting on an NCL ship (ducking).

:D Maybe those 60 people are the top market research people in the country.

NY/NJ is centrally located in the Northeast with New England to its north and Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC to its south.

As someone from Boston, a cruise from Baltimore is still a fail because driving to the port is a lost day. Driving to NY/NJ is only 3.5 hours and avoids the hassles and costs of flying. If we drive in the day before, there is plenty to do in NYC, even preferable to a day in Florida (even in bad weather). Quantum is on our list as I am still a bit nervous about getting on an NCL ship (ducking).

I wonder if the QOS could port into Black Falcon terminal for a Fall 2015 New England/Canada

Sailing ??? Portland Maine should be fine with the New Pier.

Being neither from New York or Florida, I cant understand this rivalry. What I would say is that surely the massive population of the New York Area is a plus point for RC in the choice of homeport. It is also much easier for Europeans to fly to New York than it is to get to Florida.

I say well done New York - Florida has by far its fair share of cruise options so its about time somewhere else benefitted.

I cant see both of the experienced management teams at NCL and RC being wrong by choosing to place their newest ships in NY.

Archived