"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

I cant see both of the experienced management teams at NCL and RC being wrong by choosing to place their newest ships in NY.

My thoughts exactly. Two industry leading management teams > a few angry posters on Cruise Critic. ;)

My thoughts exactly. Two industry leading management teams > a few angry posters on Cruise Critic. ;)

LOL not all RCI ships can be Florida based. There's a HUGE cruising population in the Northeast and just like Explorer of the Seas, Quantum will be almost sold out every cruise for years to come. Positive thinking on my part. ;)

What I find interesting is in the the other Quantum thread:

A poll of about 600 frequent cruisers shows more than 60% of the responses indicating either disappointment or no WOW on Quantum. If repeat customers and/or frequent cruisers are a key market indicator....it would seem that to this point.....the home port, ship features, and/or itineraries are a FAIL.

Given there was a corresponding 80+% WOW factor with the Oasis class ships at a similar pre=launch time....RCI should open their eyes and smell the thorny roses.

A poll of about 600 frequent cruisers shows more than 60% of the responses indicating either disappointment or no WOW on Quantum. If repeat customers and/or frequent cruisers are a key market indicator....it would seem that to this point.....the home port, ship features, and/or itineraries are a FAIL.

Given there was a corresponding 80+% WOW factor with the Oasis class ships at a similar pre=launch time....RCI should open their eyes and smell the thorny roses.

Now its the Itin & ship. Is this another one of your "Secret" Poles. Obviously it's not on CC ???

. . . A poll of about 600 frequent cruisers shows more than 60% of the responses indicating either disappointment or no WOW on Quantum. If repeat customers and/or frequent cruisers are a key market indicator....it would seem that to this point.....the home port, ship features, and/or itineraries are a FAIL. . .

Well, as someone once said, facts are facts but statistics are much more pliable.

As I read the poll, over 70% fall into the following three categories; (1)"I'm not dissapointed, but I'm not blown away either;" (2) "These innovations are really cool. They exceeded my expectations; and (3) "I'm totally blown away! When can I book."

As far as ridiculous, unscientific polls go, if I were a Royal Caribbean exec, I would be pretty pleased with that kind of result.

Well, as someone once said, facts are facts but statistics are much more pliable.

As I read the poll, over 70% fall into the following three categories; (1)"I'm not dissapointed, but I'm not blown away either;" (2) "These innovations are really cool. They exceeded my expectations; and (3) "I'm totally blown away! When can I book."

As far as ridiculous, unscientific polls go, if I were a Royal Caribbean exec, I would be pretty pleased with that kind of result.

And let's not forget, that is based only on the information that has been released thus far. There's lots more to come that can sway the results.

And let's not forget, that is based only on the information that has been released thus far. There's lots more to come that can sway the results.

Absolutely. Even many of the features typical of every cruise ship we haven't seen yet. I am particularly pleased they have increased the cabin size over Oasis. I am looking forward to finding out how the interior public spaces will be configured. It looks like there will not be a Royal Promenade, but there is plenty of room for the large amount of open space typical pf every RCI ship.

Right, as I keep feeling the need to remind, THEY'VE ONLY RELEASED HALF THE SHIP :D

Clearly those 60 frequent cruisers, or is it 600 frequent cruisers ?- I'm confused- know much more about what RCI should do than the people who are actually responsible for making those decisions. Perhaps the Board of Directors should resign their positions and turn over the responsibility for running the cruise line to these anonymous "frequent cruisers". After they run RCI into the ground they can turn their attention to our nation's problems.:rolleyes:

Exactly! I see the poll in the same manner. In fact, a very popular cruise blog (malcom oliver... who's popularity is stated as one million hits and counting) has two polls out.

The first is a question on what you think of QOS. The options are "Get me a Ticket!" and "Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole". 76% of the voters have selected "Get me a ticket!" and only 24% have chosen the other way. That's 3 out of 4 people polled there wanted to get on board and that's very consistent to what we see on these boards.

The other question is in regards to the Northstar. The three options being "Great! I'd love to try it!" coming in on top with 60%, "It's a silly Gimmick!" coming in at 36.7 %, and "You wouldn't get me up on that thing" coming in at a lowly 3.3%.

With only half a ship revealed... I think they're doing pretty good with the customer base's approval of the ship. Not everyone's happy.... but you will NEVER have EVERYONE happy about any given ship. That's the beauty in having so many ships!

Clearly those 60 frequent cruisers, or is it 600 frequent cruisers ?- I'm confused- know much more about what RCI should do than the people who are actually responsible for making those decisions. Perhaps the Board of Directors should resign their positions and turn over the responsibility for running the cruise line to these anonymous "frequent cruisers". After they run RCI into the ground they can turn their attention to our nation's problems.:rolleyes:

I'm sure that the BOD at RCCL are "Shivering in there Boots" over this Pole. :)

I think the poster was referring to our poll here on CC. Just a few people shy of 600 people have replied to the poll on how WOW'ed they are. If you add up the percentages of people polled, then 60% of the people have responded that they are not blown away by the WOW factors. So, in this, the poster was accurate in the figures. However, the interpretation of those figures is slightly askew by his/her definition. The poster claimed 60% being disappointed or having no WOW. However, half of that 60% (31.86% to be exact to date) never stated they aren't WOWed at all, so to interpret the poll to say that 60% showed disappointment or a total lack of wow is incorrect.

Those 31+% answered the poll as being neither disappointed nor blown away.... the next option up for them was that the wow factor EXCEEDED their expectations and the next option down was they wish Royal had done better. So that 31.86% of pollers fall IN-BETWEEN "Wishing they had done better" and having their "expectations exceeded". By my interpretation, that means the QOS reveal was quite along they lines of what they were expecting.

What we know FOR SURE from the poll:

29% of the people polled were "not impressed" or "Wish they had done better" (that's less then a third)

39% of the people polled had their "expectations exceeded" or were "Blown Away"

32% of the people polled are neither disappointed nor blown away.

Now interpret away :cool:

You can say over 70% of the people are not disappointed at all by the QOS reveal if you're a glass half full kind of person

You can say 60% of the people have not been blown away by the QOS if you're a glass half empty kind of person.

Perhaps we are in need of more clearly defined polls where interpretations can't be skewed by personal judgements either way :rolleyes:

And as someone else famously said "there are lies, damned lies and statistics". I think the so-called poll falls into that category. As someone who has well over 50 cruises on RCI alone and even more when my cruises on all other lines are included, I am somewhat offended that my opinion wasn't consulted.:eek: Of course my comments might have significantly differed from those of these so-called experts and resulted in a much different conclusion.:rolleyes:

And as someone else famously said "there are lies, damned lies and statistics". . .

And as someone else [Gregg Easterbrook]

Torture numbers and they will confess to anything

And my personal favorite:

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. [Aaron Levenstein].

There must be a million of them

And those 600 frequet cruiser's (Cruiscritic members) is less than .001% of the total number of Cruisecritic members (971,849 total members). That's a pretty small percentage of us. So I don't think .001% of cruiser's here indicates that Royal Caribbean's decision is a FAIL. And of course we know that not all people that cruise are members of Cruisecritic.

As I read the poll, over 70% fall into the following three categories; (1)"I'm not disappointed, but I'm not blown away either;" (2) "These innovations are really cool. They exceeded my expectations; and (3) "I'm totally blown away! When can I book."

Seriously?

A Billion + per ship investment and polls show your best customers are lukewarm at best...????

Alfred E. Newman may say :"What...me worried?"...best any sane businessman would be pacing feverishly about the (highly suspect) choices made and last effect of them...

Seriously?

A Billion + per ship investment and polls show your best customers are lukewarm at best...????

Alfred E. Newman may say :"What...me worried?"...best any sane businessman would be pacing feverishly about the (highly suspect) choices made and last effect of them...

What me worry?

Seriously?

Only 593 CC members participated in that poll.

Only 593 CC members participated in that poll.

Indeed - people who care enough and participate in frequent cruises - people who RCI would likely be concerned about.

It is clear that the time has come to stop feeding the trolls. Maybe I'll stop by when we learn something new.

Funny how when people disagree, they get a label. Actually, it's pretty sad.

It is clear from other posts in this thread that the whole world does not endorse nor is pleased with the selection of the Bayonne terminal as the site of the new Quantum home port. There have been logical (to this point clear) reasons why this is a bad choice. Apparently a few people struggle with the thought anyone might have alternative views on this topic.

In the meantime....

There are indications that there will be further announcements regarding the terminal construction investment from the port authority later in 2013. Part of that will be dependent on the state budget proceedings.

It is clear from other posts in this thread that the whole world does not endorse nor is pleased with the selection of the Bayonne terminal as the site of the new Quantum home port. ....

The ' "whole world" does not endorse nor is pleased with' anything. Chocolate vs vanilla, RCCL vs Carnival, paper vs plastic. Why are we expecting RCCL's choice of Bayonne to be any different?

Archived