Live from the 2013 world cruise - on QM2

Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh, Thank you so much for posting so much enjoyable reading. For anyone who has ever sailed on the QM2, it's like being onboard. You've also posted the best picture of the actual hallway. I can actually picture walking to the elevator.

The writing and pictures are pure fun for the rest of us. Thank you. :)

Hi Peter! We have been having a pretty good time on QM2 but did not see anyone for the M&G at 2...was it changed? or do I have the dates wrong? (Thought 19 Feb at 2 in CC near piano). Oh well maybe we will meet somewhere on this grand ship. Starting to feel the first of some movements/waves motion on the ship now and Commodore Rynd has advised tonight we may feel more.:o

We have an inside this time too Peter and we were so happy. Nice room.

Barbara

Thanks from me also for the great writing and live and positive commentary.

We have done several circumnavigations, and are sometimes depressed about the "whiners" who do seem to appear on the QM2. You have revived my thoughts about taking another world cruise soon.

I have been thinking likewise about doing the 2014 World which includes the Great Circle of Australia.

My idea was to disembark at Perth, leaving my wife in charge of our cabin, and proceed by long straight railway to Melbourne and get to know the city a little until she (my wife and the QM2) both reappear.

Do you suppose Cunard would let me off at Fremantle with my passport? And allow me back on at Melbourne, or would I have to reboard at Sydney? Or book a new cruise in 2015 from Australia.

Anyway you are great and generous to let us share your trip!

David

Hi everyone,

It's been such a long time since I last posted that I have forgotten most of the details from the previous days. I was unable to log onto the internet on the 18th Feb which made it hard. So I'll just do a wrap up of my experiences for the Singapore to Hong Kong sector and add in a few observations about the current voyage. Thanks again for the positive feedback about the blog so far, I'm glad that you guys enjoyed it.

On the sea day before Hong Kong I did not do much at all apart from have a massage (there was a daily special - it was $79 instead of the usual price, which is normally double that). I also checked out all the photos that we'd had taken. And I popped up the Queens Grill to see how my table allocation was going. I'd requested a table for six down the end of the restaurant near the windows, the allocation that I was being given was a table for three at the front of the restaurant near the entry. I spoke with the maitre d and reiterated my preferences, he said he would do what he could.

Dinner that night was the usual swan song affair - saying goodbye etc - and then it was off to pack.

Below are some pics of the last evening in the Britannia Restaurant.

i-wWFv4Mv-L.jpg

i-MXnnhL8-L.jpg

i-hSGkjJS-L.jpg

I have to say, I can't recommend the Britannia experience enough. The food and service were wonderful and the restaurant has a great buzz in the evenings which is very enjoyable. Over the three years that I've been on cruise critic I've read a lot of negative commentary on the Britannia restaurant: people have reported that waiters threw plates at them and served them inedible food (just to name a few). To me, inedible food would be similar to food scraps that has been rooting in a rubbish bin for days. I was never served anything remotely like that, everything was fresh, artfully arranged and tasted really good. The waiter and his assistant were excellent (just as proficient as in the Princess Grill, with the only difference being that they are generally too busy for the odd chat now and then) and the sommelier was always available and we never had to wait for drinks service - his recommendations were spot on as well.

My awesome inside room (perfect for the single traveller) was roomy and well laid out. The steward was fantastic and to be honest I would have been quiet happy to stay there. What I really enjoyed about Britannia was that I had cause to utilise the public rooms on the ship that I didn't use as much on previous voyages. For example, the Chart Room, which is where a lot of late sitting guests have drinks before going to dinner. Between 7:30 and 8:30 this room was always pumping and the vibe was really good. It was great fun to sit there with a drink of two and people watch, I really enjoyed it. In fact, I enjoyed all the areas of the ship, and to be honest, at times I forgot that the Grills even existed.

All in all, the Britannia experience was superb and I can honestly say that I enjoyed every single minute. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

P.S. I asked a lot of staff a lot of questions throughout the voyage and at no time did anyone ever say "we can not help you at this time", they just answered my question. Sometimes they weren't able to grant my request but they told me so and explained why.

P.P.S. Last night I spoke with the 'Cunard Royalty' couple. Just as the crew said, they are lovely, and (just like Dragana) I am hooked. :)

Moving the Queens Grill at Hong Kong was exciting as I've never experienced that before (only Princess Grill). The QG suite is larger than the PG suites and comes with a butler. The butler, in addition to the free booze and afternoon canapés is the main difference that I've been able to make out so far. Room service from the butler is a more elaborate affair as he comes in and sets everything out on the table (over a tablecloth) instead of just leaving it on the tray. If you need a very spacious suite then the Queens Grill suites are the go, but for me the Princess Grill suites are more than enough.

Below are some pics of the QG suites.

i-LsGDGP8-L.jpg

i-CFSMGxk-L.jpg

i-rVC3CXT-L.jpg

i-mw8jx2R-L.jpg

i-GtKnZzT-L.jpg

Thanks for those great pictures- makes even more anxious to get on board. LOL!

Such a shame you have to leave again so soon would love to have read more. Good that you had a great experience. I am in Britania Class as well- since the other options are much to expensive for me as Solo- cruiser ( this time anyway) I am in one of those balcony cabin on deck 6. That brings to my

( another one I know) question- can one acces the Poll at stern on deck 6 via Deck 6 - end of the coridor?

Thanks

Michael

I am confused. Are those life boats always sticking out like that? And the Suites are right above them? That's terrible if that is the case!

Kath

Yes, deck 9 is right above the lifeboats. It's one of the reasons why I prefer the Princess Grill suites on deck 10.

I am confused. Are those life boats always sticking out like that? And the Suites are right above them? That's terrible if that is the case!

Kath

Yes, that is the normal position of the lifeboats (a/k/a tenders). A very expensive and very orange view from the Queens Grill Suites, but it does come with a butler, etc. See http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/accommodation/queens-grill-suites/ Regards, -S.

Hi Peter! We have been having a pretty good time on QM2 but did not see anyone for the M&G at 2...was it changed? or do I have the dates wrong? (Thought 19 Feb at 2 in CC near piano). Oh well maybe we will meet somewhere on this grand ship. Starting to feel the first of some movements/waves motion on the ship now and Commodore Rynd has advised tonight we may feel more.:o

We have an inside this time too Peter and we were so happy. Nice room.

Barbara

I received advice from Cunard that we had to move the M&G to the Wintergarden. I posted the advice on the roll call before I left for Singapore, I was hoping that you would get it in time.

We had about twenty turn up for the M&G and the commodore came along as well.

I usually play bingo at 2pm so come along and say hi.

Last night there were some waves, which made dancing in G32 quite amusing. Also, the new DJ they have is amazing - finally - and I'll post some more on that.

Whitemarsh - great pics of Q suite, many thanks for that. One question, apart from the "walk in" wardrobe, it always appears on the Cunard pics that there is at least 1 other built wardrobe in the entrance corridor. I'm guessing there is the usual cupboard for the butler & steward to store cleaning materials, as there is on Queen Vic, but can you confirm if there is the extra wardrobe too please?

I'm interested because I can probably fill the main one on my own and Mrs Pies4u selfishly wants to bring some clothes with her as well. :)

I guess we won't need to use it but it would be handy, if it exists, for completeness. Supplementary question - what is the evening situation in the Winter Garden? I am hoping to have a few pleasant interludes having a quiet drink whilst listening to a pianist or quartet and not have to scramble for a seat.

Look forward to your next instalment, complete with responses - in your own time, if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on board, I absolutely loved reading it, you're a fabulous writer!

I also love the photo's (especially the walk in closet ofcourse :D ), although I wouldn't go for the QG myself.. My budget as a solo traveller will be for an inside stateroom, unfortunatly. (although Im sure that will be quiet fine for me!)

Hello

I have always wondered why so many Queens grill cabins are on nine deck with mediocre views when the lesser Princess Grill cabins on ten deck have superior views. You think it would have been the other way around.

Deck Chair

Exactly! Thanks to the OP, I now know this! I don't think I would enjoy staring at that giant orange top for a week or two on end.

Is QE the same? ;) OK, kidding! Kath

It is the Countess here. I have just arrived back in Oz after 4 days in Hong Kong or as the common folk call it Honkers. I agree with all the previous comment Whitemarsh is a very gifted writer and it was a pleasure traveling with him when he was not leading me astray with the wine. Yes I do have pictures of him sleeping with his mouth open. (Black mail material for a later date) I am sure you will enjoy the rest of your cruise.

:)

Hi Whitemarsh,

I read with interest your comments on both this thread and the post to Mr Shanks regarding G32.

I am a GREAT fan of 1960's - 1970's music and cannot get enough of this popular music BUT I do accept some (a minority :p:D) of a younger generation might not appreciate this style of music... Thinking of Procol Harum A Whiter

as I type this..... (Is that tonsil tickling music or what?) :o:o:o I know this song is as popular in the Night Clubs of Torbay now as it was when it was first released and we have some great disc jockeys (so my son and daughter tell me)

Could it be that the music is chosen for the majority? I ask this question in a polite and constructive manner because if the majority of the audience is aged forty or younger, then perhaps they might appreciate a newer type of noise!! If this gathering is perhaps over the age of forty then maybe this excellent music is for them (or even Bach or Mozart!!)

Hopefully the issue of the non disc jockey will eventually be resolved but have you thought about jumping up onto the stage and hosting a session or two? :cool:

Whiter Shade of Pale has always been in my "top 3 songs of all time". Reminds me of school disco's in the late 60's, it was the proverbial last dance. As Glojo says, a genuine "tonsil tickler". :p

If any night club played that, plus The Searchers (my favourite band) and a selection of 80's electronic stuff then I'd be in there for sure.

Usually the volume, monotony and over zealous bass just gives you a headache and you can't converse - so clubs are best avoided in my view. I will give G32 a try in April and see what it is like. It looks and sounds pretty dire from what appears on here!

Archived