Alaskan cruise: Can you hear the naturalist on the balcony/in your cabin?

amyj23

I've searched this message board and can't find an answer to this question... Is it possible to hear the naturalist on our balcony? Is it coming through the TV in the cabin? I would love the chance to enjoy some of the scenery from our own balcony.

We were on the Spirit out of Seattle in September. It was an amazing experience, very different from warm weather cruises, and after 15 warm weather cruises, its our favorite. I wouldn't want to do it every year, but we'd definitely do it again.

As to your question, I don't believe we could hear the naturalist from our cabin, just like you have to open your cabin door to hear announcements. We could hear her from our balcony, yes, although we tended to be up on deck for the prime "viewing" times. Our naturalist, Michelle, was a pro, very knowledgeable and "into her job." She was very visible throughout the ship when she wasn't on the air, and loved to sit and chat with the passengers. She really made the trip, in my opinion.

Yes Michelle was very pleasant, and friendly. I could hear clearly form my balcony and on all open decks when she was speaking. She mentioned that there would be times she was not allowed to use the external com system in certain areas of the Fjord because of rules and regulations.

On you tube there is a parody of her talks that were transmitted to every inside and outside area of the Spirit, and I think this is why her talks now are mostly outside loudspeakers.

Well, on our Carnival Spirit cruise to Alaska we could definitely hear Michelle in our cabin, balcony and everywhere else. There was no way to turn it down in cabin. She was broadcast on the PA system in the hallways and outside decks continuously all day, everyday and it was loud. I nearly went insane when I wanted to take a nap. It was impossible. We left that ship exhausted.

Sailed Alaska in June on Spirit. I think it depends on the cabin and balcony.

We could barely hear her on the aft wrap balcony we had.

But in the cabin was better, but who wants to be in there when the worlds greatest views are gliding by outside!

Honestly, Alaska is soooo beautiful that it seems like a dream!

Enjoy your cruise, it's the best ever! :D

We had an aft extended balcony this past summer and had a hard time hearing Michelle - I would highly recommend her talks I think the first sea day - she is really amazing and her enthusiasm for Alaska and the "critters" will get you more excited about being on your way to Alaska.

We couldn't but we liked that it was quiet. If we opened our door you could hear it but we kept it closed once we saw the glacier. We could hear nature and the ice caving and it was very peaceful and didn't feel like we missed out on whatever was said.

Archived