Booking Question

wrg11

I'm ready to book and have a question about what names to use. Should I book using the names on our passports (First, middle and last)? My husband HATES his middle name and prefers to simply use the initial. Thanks.

The name on the Booking must match the name in the passport.

My wife hates her given first name and has used her middle name only her whole life (on credit cards, on drivers licenses, etc. etc.)

This has created great angst since the new 9/11 secuity requires that all documentation needs to show traceability of name back to birth certificates.

Cruise line bookings do not use middle names or initials, so just use first and last name as shown on the legal ID that will be used to board the ship. Airline bookings may or may not show middle initial or (rarely) full middle name, but the same rule applies, book as shown on the legal ID.

Minor bit of trivia, there is no requirement in the post 9/11 travel laws (WHTI) that require tracing back to the name on the BC. Some cruise lines, notably RCCL, used to require that link, but it was strictly a requirement of that line and no longer is listed in their documentation FAQ. The US regulation only requires that you have a current, valid government issued ID, plus your BC if using that for citizenship proof. The US presume you had to show your legal name change string of documents to get that ID, and unless your name change was unusual, (not just last name) they usually just match up your first/middle names and birthdate. Your BC proves your citizenship, but is not an identity document. Your ID is your identity document.

This presumption can be a real headache for those who have an ID for an informal name change, something that is more common than you might think where people such as WVBill's DW swap a first and middle name. In the past, name changes on ID's were not as regulated as they are now (or will be soon with REAL ID). IF you or a loved one fall into that category, it will prove less troublesome in the future to stick to one legal-name on all your records, house deeds, car titles, IDs and credit cards. Depending on how entrenched the informal name is it may be easier to formalize the name change with a court order than to go back and re-title and correct years of innocent mis-use.

A slightly different perspective...

I hated my middle name growing up, but have come to appreciate its uniqueness. My first and last name are quite common and after 9/11 my name caused me delays every time I flew. I'd get to the airport check-in counter and at a minimum they had to make a phone call to clear me to fly. At least I never got sent to the naughty room. A friend who had a similar issue suggested I add my middle name to all of my bookings, and voila, my airport delays disappeared.

My advice to the OP is to leave the middle name off if it's that much of an issue.

The issue is with Homeland Security which is why the booked name must match the passport. The passenger manifest is submitted to Homeland Security before the ship sails. I use just my middle initial and that's what's on my passport and how I book.

I'm ready to book and have a question about what names to use. Should I book using the names on our passports (First, middle and last)? My husband HATES his middle name and prefers to simply use the initial. Thanks.

Everything must match your passport:)

A slightly different perspective...

I hated my middle name growing up, but have come to appreciate its uniqueness. My first and last name are quite common and after 9/11 my name caused me delays every time I flew. I'd get to the airport check-in counter and at a minimum they had to make a phone call to clear me to fly. At least I never got sent to the naughty room. A friend who had a similar issue suggested I add my middle name to all of my bookings, and voila, my airport delays disappeared.

My advice to the OP is to leave the middle name off if it's that much of an issue.

Beach??? :D

Archived