Do we need to tip the people we give the luggage to?

How does the tipping work in Europe. We are leaving on a cruise out of Barcelona towards the end of the year. Are they also expecting tips and how much do you give them. I know tipping over there is not as common as it is in the states.

Before leaving for Europe I read up on each country. Guide books and googling will tell what tipping is expected. I will also be in Barcelona, in October and I have not gotten that far yet but I will know before I leave.

How does the tipping work in Europe. We are leaving on a cruise out of Barcelona towards the end of the year. Are they also expecting tips and how much do you give them. I know tipping over there is not as common as it is in the states.

Tipping over here is as normal as over there;) Everyone in the service industry will expect a tip for service rendered.

I normally don't follow the 10%-20% rule, but tip "what its worth".

For porters at the BCN port I normally give €5 pr. bag:-)

We always tip $2.00 per bag to ensure the bags are getting aboard and have always received exemplary service.

As to the porters and cruise ship luggage handlers in Ft. Lauderdale, let's just say they are paid pretty well. They are members of ILA Local #152, ILA being the International Longshoreman's Association. They are one of the largest unions in the US and cover all major US ports both on the cargo and passenger side.

It seems after reading a lot of threads recently about Gratuities /tips/service charge there is no Country fully happy with what is going on. That goes for us Brits/US/Australians and any other country and no matter which country you are in at the time.

I do my own thing and enjoy my Cruise/Holiday.I do what i feel most comfortable with.

Spot on, and that is the way it should be.

It's what you are comfortable with and not what other people tell you to do.

Perfectly stated.

My opinion...when a man walks up to my car, pulls the suitcases out of the trunk, especially DW's enormous suitcase, and reminds me to carry my documents....I am not concerned what type of paycheck he pulls in. He just did me a personal service and to me, that is worth a few bucks.

I agree. I tip because I appreciate that they are there, and do something to help me at a time when I need it most...I just want to get rid of the bags, check in, and start my cruise.

I do tip most service people that provide a service for me, including the porters at the pier. I won't, however, tip people like the counter people at Dunkin Donuts, despite the tip jar on the cash register. They are doing their job, nothing special for me, and they get paid minimum wage. I do agree that requesting tips in fast food places is a bit excessive.

the baggage handlers at the port aare UNION and probably are making more than most of us. that being said the poor slob who drives the shuttle is loading and unloading your bags, he's the one probably making minimum wage he's the one i tip.

Typically, these guys are union but only get payed when there is a ship to work. They may only work a couple days a week.

Indeed it does but as I said before I would rather the employer raise prices then I have the option to tip or not tip for the services I received rather than the current system that the customer more or less MUST tip because of their low wages. The tipping is no longer seen as services received but just a subsidise of low wages. It is turning into more or less begging.

If the employer raise prices by 15-20%, its the same for the customers as they are now as they have to pay that in tips but once wages increased, tipping should no longer be a rule.

With all these tipping questions on this forum and other travel related forum on US, one must realise that the issue lies with America rather than everybody else. I just can not believe how obedient the customers are in America supplementing all the staff wages in tips whereas the employers laughing all the way to the bank with their money.

When I said the system is flawed, why tip a waitress and not a cabin crew on a plane served you food and drinks at your seat? Why tip a bartender but not the spotty teenager at McDonalds who poured you a coke? It's one rule for some and one rule for others hence flawed!

Of course I can't change anything and I do obey the rules but it doesn't mean I agree with it and it is all just my views and opinions. At least I don't feel I get ripped off all the time by the employers as I don't live in America.

The person at a Mcdonals make 8.00to 10.00 an hour. the flight attendent also make good money. waitress and bartenders make much less than that, and rely on tips to supplement their income. .If an employer paid me a higher wage and there was no tipping, I could be a shiity server, and you would not be happy with your service. T.I.P.S To Insure proper Service. This is how we do things in America, if you don't like that, then stay where you are

I do tip most service people that provide a service for me, including the porters at the pier. I won't, however, tip people like the counter people at Dunkin Donuts, despite the tip jar on the cash register. They are doing their job, nothing special for me, and they get paid minimum wage. I do agree that requesting tips in fast food places is a bit excessive.

I also agree with you. these are people who are making minimum wage or more and the tip jar is a little ridiculous.

It shouldn't matter whether you want your luggage to be dry or not that you should tip.

On a rainy day, if you tip, will they put a blanket on your luggage to keep it dry? No I don't think so. If you don't tip do they chuck your luggage in to the sea? No I don't think so either.

This is the problem with the tipping culture, everyone should do the job they should be doing with a smile in a service industry whether tipped or not tipped. Employees should treat tips as a bonus rather than a rule.

I have no issues of giving tips for services I received but I do have an issue of giving tips to supplement their wages because their employers are not paying them decently. Also at 15-20% which is way over the top, 10% should be maximum. Customers feel like they are getting ripped off by the employer as they are paying the staff wages.

I couldnt agree more with you...

I think one should tip if the person does an extraordinary job, or does something extra of what HE'S SUPPOSED to be doing..

If you take youre car to the mechanic,, you pay him to fix youre car right!??? Do you tip him also becouse he did the job you already hired him to do??..

I'm going to ask my boss to tip mi every time i do the work i'm already hired to do.. :cool: jejeje

Once again, tipping should be a reward for extraordinary service (in my opinion)... not for doing the job they shoud be doing..

If this continues this way,, everybody will be asking a tip just for talking to you..

The porters who work at luggage are not union in most ports anymore.

They work mostly weekends and have weekly jobs elsewhere.

They work for the port not the ship

We have had lunch with some and overheard their trials and tribulations and how many 'runs' they make.

We engaged and asked a few questions.

Yes your luggage will get on the ship, however a very nice tip and they make sure your bottled water is sent on and not lost.

Yes they have clearance to get on the ship and can deposit it at your door.

And yes TRUST is involved..If you don't want to handle your luggage why not tip the person who is doing the work?

A big smile, a large thank you and a $20 will make his day.

Am I the only one calling BS on this? :eek:

In no way, shape, or form do the curbside porters take your luggage onto the ship and deliver it to your stateroom!!!! :rolleyes:

In no way, shape, or form do the curbside porters take your luggage onto the ship and deliver it to your stateroom!!!! :rolleyes:

Just happened by today.

Oh yes they do.

They have to have clearence just to work AT the port!

They also have to card in and out of the ship just like we do.

That last call for "visitors" is not for visitors of guests.

I have met the porters who brought our luggage and deposited it IN our cabin.

We send ALL our luggage to one cabin usually a suite when we have several other cabins booked, all on the same deck.

It's WORTH it to us, but others might not want too, so too each his own.

No, you're not the only one. Perhaps there is some exception, but in general seashells is mistaken. The bags are delivered to your room by RC employees. The dock workers may be briefly on the ship to move luggage from the dock to the ship, but they don't deliver it to the cabins.

Just happened by today.

Oh yes they do.

They have to have clearence just to work AT the port!

They also have to card in and out of the ship just like we do.

That last call for "visitors" is not for visitors of guests.

I have met the porters who brought our luggage and deposited it IN our cabin.

We send ALL our luggage to one cabin usually a suite when we have several other cabins booked, all on the same deck.

It's WORTH it to us, but others might not want too, so too each his own.

I'm sorry but you are wrong :-)

Any discussion on dockside tipping has to include this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1012811

Returning to Bayonne on the 2nd Solstice US cruise our debarkation was detained for a couple hours. Final explanation - the union porters demanded overtime wages to start work before 8AM. Celebrity properly believed overtime only came into play after you started working. This was a midweek arrival. Reevaluated my tipping strategy at this point - seems concern should be a two way street.

Sailing from Port Canaveral next week - where posted signs clearly advise tipping not required. Won't rule out a buck a bag - but someone's going to have to motivate me to go above and beyond with some attitude or service.

The real question is do you want to see your bags again? Would you like them to be dry when they get to your cabin? If the answer is yes to eitherof these questions, then you should tip the porters $1 -$2 per bag. It really doesn't matter what you think about the wage structure or what you believ is a "good" wage for a porter, it is customary in the US to tip the porters. End of the story. ;)

I'll have what she's having.

Honey, he's in my will!

I may not tip everyone who gives me good/extra service all the time, but I am there at the Holiday with maybe some pastry or wine. If you want to reward someone who has gone the extra distance for you why dwell on protocol...just do it!

In the US, tipping IS the wage they are paid. The minimum wage for a Waiter is $2.13 per hour, and that is how most of them are paid. Even if you don't agree with it, I dont see the US changing its culture any time soon. This is how these workers get paid.

On our 1st cruise (10yrs ago) we went into one of the touristy bars. We had 4 expensive drinks which came to $40. When the bill came the young server had wrote his own tip of $8 which I thought was over the top. We gave a him $5. He actually came back and told me we had left the wrong amount! I was shocked and thought it very rude. He certainly wasn't on $2.13 an hour with the amount of people in there.

Same trip when we arrived to the port we had a couple of bags. We saw where they were being loaded and took them over. The man put them on the trolley. We got out a couple of dollars, gave them to the man, as we knew people expected to be 'tipped' He said No 5! I was scared. So dam rude... That's not tipping its a demand!

The people who think tips are highway robbery change their view when their son, daughter, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, mother, father.....get a job that depends on the kindness of strangers.

I am not standing up for every rude person in the hospitality/service business, but don't let a few bad apples leave you unwavering in your opinions.

My next cruise is paid for largely by tips and you best believe I earn every dime!

People tip because they think they need to. The porter that you see only takes your bag and tosses it on a trolley that the fork lift driver will deliver to the holding area. They aren't doing a service, just a job, that is not a "service job" or "tippable" job. There is no rule that says to tip them. Some places have signs up saying not to. But yet, people still do. Personnly, if someone wants to hand me a $10.00 bill to handle my bags for 60 seconds, I would take it.

My husband & I booked a last minute cruise on the Oasis in December and didn't get our luggage tags in time for our sailing (they were at our house when we got home:)) Anyways, when we got to the port we found a porter, showed him our room info. and he grabbed 2 tags for our 2 bags and proceeded to write on them, I didn't really see what he was writing but he told us that everything was fine and we were so excited to get on the ship anyways so we tipped him $5.00 and off we went.

We didn't get our bags until almost 8pm, I was in full panic mode checking the door every 10 minutes or so. Finally our room steward came down the hall saying these must be yours, the last ones! When I asked what happened, our room steward showed us that the porter just wrote "suite" on the tags - no room number!

So I guess tipping doesn't guarantee anything, I'm just glad we got our bags & we still had a wonderful cruise!

Archived