Do we need to tip the people we give the luggage to?

Indeed it does but as I said before I would rather the employer raise prices then I have the option to tip or not tip for the services I received rather than the current system that the customer more or less MUST tip because of their low wages. The tipping is no longer seen as services received but just a subsidise of low wages. It is turning into more or less begging.

If the employer raise prices by 15-20%, its the same for the customers as they are now as they have to pay that in tips but once wages increased, tipping should no longer be a rule.

With all these tipping questions on this forum and other travel related forum on US, one must realise that the issue lies with America rather than everybody else. I just can not believe how obedient the customers are in America supplementing all the staff wages in tips whereas the employers laughing all the way to the bank with their money.

When I said the system is flawed, why tip a waitress and not a cabin crew on a plane served you food and drinks at your seat? Why tip a bartender but not the spotty teenager at McDonalds who poured you a coke? It's one rule for some and one rule for others hence flawed!

Of course I can't change anything and I do obey the rules but it doesn't mean I agree with it and it is all just my views and opinions. At least I don't feel I get ripped off all the time by the employers as I don't live in America.

Seriously? Either way you are paying it. I dont' feel I get "ripped off". Why are assuming so much about a country you don't live in. You are a bit rude. You also obviously know nothing about running a business. Fares would be increased by a lot more than the piddling amount that we tip so your argument about how the businesses are laughing all the way holds no water because if they really raised costs, the businesses would pocket even more.

The system you think is "flawed" works fine. The only ones whining about tipped positions are the ones paying the tips. I used to wait tables in college for a very low hourly rate plus tips. Believe me, I made much more that way than I ever would have making minimum wage. It also is an incentive to work harder in these lower paying positions. It's actually a smart business practice.

It's almost like tipping scares you.

When traveling in the UK I do remember paying a VAT. How is that different? In the US you do have a choice in tipping most of the time. There are instances when tipping is common but we do not. For instance at the car wash or at a buffet that is 99.9% self service. If you do not wish to tip then don't. A bright thank you and off you go. You won't be the first or the last to avoid the tip. I would however not suggest that you avoid tipping on the cruise. The truth is that if tips are not suggested you will end up paying them anyway by higher costs. The other thing is that people sometimes give more when they have a choice than if it is included in the charges. We found this in fundraising with our church youth group.The kids raised more with a free will offering than a flat charge.:)

Ok sorry if I stirred up using a tipping thread. It's hard for me coming from Australia and living in the UK to understand the tipping culture

When me and a couple of friends had a cheesecake and a coffee at the Cheesecake Factory in Vegas the bill was $20 something. We gave the waitress $50 and she said "do you need change?" We all looked at each other and all said "yes" of course. Oh my god! You think I'm going to give you 100% tip that's crazy. We left $4 as we thought that was good enough

But as someone just said why tip a bartender and not someone in McDonald's getting you a coke? Isn't it the same.

I do find the waitstaff in America often a bit false. I don't mean to offend but sometimes they are so so over the top and you can see that they are looking for a tip. When I say false I mean in comparison to a non tipping role such as hotel checking staff or shop assistants etc

Hi,

My last cruise was my first holiday abroad without my parents, i chose the pre-pay gratuities so that covered the room stewards and waiting staff but apart from that I tipped NO-ONE...not because I didn't want to, but I simply didn't realise it was the correct ettiquette to?!?

All my suitcases made it on board and back off again in one piece and all my room service made it to us ok with nothing suspicious added!

Now I am a little older (and have worked in the service industry!) I have learnt to tip for good service. On my last hol (to the Scottish Highlands) we did lots of activities and those people who went the extra mile to give us an amazing experience....were heavily tipped and I backed it up with an e-mail of thanks. I am using those companies again this year and they will probably remember that I appreciated their service (but I know they wont be doing just for a tip...because last year they gave me great service BEFORE i tipped)

So on my next cruise I am going to go prepared with some $$$s and I will give them to those that I think deserve it :)

I can understand that when one comes from an area where tipping is not as common, like the UK, that in the US it must feel like you are just handing out money to everyone. Its just a matter of experience who gets tips, but guess I would define it as people that provide a personal service, but are not management or owners of the business.

As such, when on a cruise trip, people that handle baggage would qualify for a tip, along with crew that provide personal services, yet not officers or activities staff.

Probably the one I understand the least is the Concierge, as I've read on some threads that some guests give large tips just for "being there". I generally don't tip, but tip well to the CL servers, because they actually provide service. I've read that some rationalize this tip by saying the the concierges all got salary cuts because they expect a lot of tips - don't see this as my problem.

Sorry you have such a problem with the way we do things. Right or wrong, it is how it is. Maybe, if you don't like it, don't travel to the US. Sheesh.

If you have not noticed that I'm in support of the workers getting a decent wage from their employers but hey try and visit the rest of the world, it's bigger than just the US. Sheesh!

Ok sorry if I stirred up using a tipping thread. It's hard for me coming from Australia and living in the UK to understand the tipping culture

When me and a couple of friends had a cheesecake and a coffee at the Cheesecake Factory in Vegas the bill was $20 something. We gave the waitress $50 and she said "do you need change?" We all looked at each other and all said "yes" of course. Oh my god! You think I'm going to give you 100% tip that's crazy. We left $4 as we thought that was good enough

But as someone just said why tip a bartender and not someone in McDonald's getting you a coke? Isn't it the same.

I do find the waitstaff in America often a bit false. I don't mean to offend but sometimes they are so so over the top and you can see that they are looking for a tip. When I say false I mean in comparison to a non tipping role such as hotel checking staff or shop assistants etc

Did the waitress give you a $20 and a $10 back or did she give you a $20, a $5 and 5 $1's? That's what I think when a waitperson asks if I need change from a large bill. (And yes, $4 was an appropriate amount to leave.)

Indeed it does but as I said before I would rather the employer raise prices then I have the option to tip or not tip for the services I received rather than the current system that the customer more or less MUST tip because of their low wages. The tipping is no longer seen as services received but just a subsidise of low wages. It is turning into more or less begging.

If the employer raise prices by 15-20%, its the same for the customers as they are now as they have to pay that in tips but once wages increased, tipping should no longer be a rule.

With all these tipping questions on this forum and other travel related forum on US, one must realise that the issue lies with America rather than everybody else. I just can not believe how obedient the customers are in America supplementing all the staff wages in tips whereas the employers laughing all the way to the bank with their money.

When I said the system is flawed, why tip a waitress and not a cabin crew on a plane served you food and drinks at your seat? Why tip a bartender but not the spotty teenager at McDonalds who poured you a coke? It's one rule for some and one rule for others hence flawed!

Of course I can't change anything and I do obey the rules but it doesn't mean I agree with it and it is all just my views and opinions. At least I don't feel I get ripped off all the time by the employers as I don't live in America.

Most tipped employees, especially in upscale establishments, would disagree with you. I know a fellow that works as a bellhop at an upscale hotel. He makes $60k a year, mostly from tips. Just because someone is working for tips doesn't mean that they aren't making a good living.

Well said, Dan-P! I choose to tip those who give me service, particularly if they are not well paid! I figure the incremental cost to me is minimal. As tipping practices vary from culture to culture, you can google this to see what might be typical where you're travelling. I remember about 15 years ago traveling to Paris on business, and being surprised at how often a hand was out waiting for a tip. I just went with the game, as that was expected. For example, leaving the hotel via taxi in the morning involved tipping 3 separate people. On our last cruise, we set out "equipped" with a wad of ones and fives just for tipping. We didn't use them all, but we counted that as a very small cost of our vacation.

Been on 4 cruises so far and haven't once tipped the person who handles my luggage. My luggage always arrives quickly and in one piece. Most of the porters were rude asking for tips so we have never bothered to tip and its never made a difference. Dont get me wrong, we tip as needed but I wont tip for rudeness.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I do not mean to be rude or intend to offend my British friends, but I look at it this way:

So much money spent on cruises, flights from the UK, hotel stay, restaurants, etc, what is $1 per bag for someone who is going to take it off your hands and put it in the hold??? Is it going to make a dent in your cruise budget? Get over it and enjoy your cruise:)

and includes folks, worldwide....it is fascinating to rad the vrious cultural views. Makes CC far more fun than when it was just the boring US comments.

But, never forget, we did win that little ol' war back in the late 1770'ds so you are stuck with us!

:D

Having recently moved from the USA to the UK. I do understand that their is a difference between what is expected. It comes down to etiquette. In the USA it is expected that you will tip unless you have recieved horrible servie. I always give the luggage handlers $10. They really appreciate it and always say thank you. If you are going to travel outside your own country then I'm sure you understand about different customs. It is customary to tip in America.

Beth

Hi,

My last cruise was my first holiday abroad without my parents, i chose the pre-pay gratuities so that covered the room stewards and waiting staff but apart from that I tipped NO-ONE...not because I didn't want to, but I simply didn't realise it was the correct ettiquette to?!?

All my suitcases made it on board and back off again in one piece and all my room service made it to us ok with nothing suspicious added!

Now I am a little older (and have worked in the service industry!) I have learnt to tip for good service. On my last hol (to the Scottish Highlands) we did lots of activities and those people who went the extra mile to give us an amazing experience....were heavily tipped and I backed it up with an e-mail of thanks. I am using those companies again this year and they will probably remember that I appreciated their service (but I know they wont be doing just for a tip...because last year they gave me great service BEFORE i tipped)

So on my next cruise I am going to go prepared with some $$$s and I will give them to those that I think deserve it :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/02/21/albert-lexie-donates-tips_n_2732159.html

A very generous man. Anyone who earns a decent wage on here has $200k sitting in their bank?

Although this maybe a one off but the potential or possibility is there from just receiving tips. Now don't give up that day job and becomes a shoe shiner.

A tip is not something you ever have to do,but it is a nice thing to do if you think someone deserves it...........up to you!

Perfectly stated.

My opinion...when a man walks up to my car, pulls the suitcases out of the trunk, especially DW's enormous suitcase, and reminds me to carry my documents....I am not concerned what type of paycheck he pulls in. He just did me a personal service and to me, that is worth a few bucks.

Hi. We are doing 3rd cruise in April from Fort Lauderdale. We traveled last year from there and the staff that took our bags were very rude and looked upset that we didn't give a tip. Everyone seems to want a tip

Are these people paid a decent wage or do their wages need to be subsidised by us like the waiters and housekeeping staff. The people we gave or bags to last year gave us the dirtiest looks when there was no cash given with the bags.

Coming from a no tipping background I can't grip on who we were supposed to tip. I used to be a flight attendant flying to the USA from Uk all the time and no one ever tipped me from the States.

I am someone who hates tipping but believes everyone should be paid a fair price and conpanies should charge for products that include their staff wages

I TIP BUT NEVER FELT I SHOULD HAVE TO,YOU HAVE EMPLOYEES I FEEL YOU SHOULD HAVE TO PAY THEM.Not expect me to pay them,Flame on.

Indeed it is Welcome to America, maybe America should learn something from the rest of the world.

As for the prices going up for staff to get a decent wage. What's the real difference with me paying the cost of a cruise and all the tips now than me paying an all in one price? Probably not a lot.

As for Regent, do they provide a much better service and class hence the extra costs rather than tips included? Not that I know much about Regent.

Welcome to America, if you don't like our ways you have the option of not comng here. It is always nice to have options.:)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/02/21/albert-lexie-donates-tips_n_2732159.html

A very generous man. Anyone who earns a decent wage on here has $200k sitting in their bank?

Although this maybe a one off but the potential or possibility is there from just receiving tips. Now don't give up that day job and becomes a shoe shiner.

Of course the potential is there, that is why people work for tips. I don't care how much a porter makes, I am not interested in the job. I do not begrudge anyone who receives tips the money they make.

Perfectly stated.

My opinion...when a man walks up to my car, pulls the suitcases out of the trunk, especially DW's enormous suitcase, and reminds me to carry my documents....I am not concerned what type of paycheck he pulls in. He just did me a personal service and to me, that is worth a few bucks.

And quite right, too. So would I.

But when I have to carry my own bag over to some guy standing next to a sign saying it's not necessary to tip him, who simply takes my bag and puts it on a cart 10 feet away, and makes veiled threats about my property going missing if I don't give him some money? I don't think so. But lots of folks on this thread say I have to :)

Archived