Do we need to tip the people we give the luggage to?

Welcome to America, if you don't like our ways you have the option of not comng here. It is always nice to have options.:)

If I'm cruising in Europe on Royal Caribbean then do I have to tip too, I'm not really in America? Actually don't answer it, I will still tip either way.

If people bother to read the whole thread, as I keep saying, I tip to the recommended amount as that's the culture but not due to the employers stiffing their staff on low wage. I support the employees for a better wage!

I don't tip based on what I think a person makes, I tip based on the service the person performs for me (with the caveat that the person must be doing something for which tips are normally given). I usually give the porter a dollar or two a bag at the pier and double that when I disembark if they go all the way to my car.

I fully understand your view but when in Rome...

Great pictures Sparks1093! If I may ask, what kind of camera is that?

~Bob~

I'm not really sure what good it does to tip the porter. On one of my cruises, the porter who took my bags walked about 2 steps then placed them on a cart. Someone else (who would not be around for the tipping) took the cart away. When we cruised on the Oasis , the shuttle driver pulled up to the curb and he unloaded all the bags out of the van. Never did see a porter there. There are so many other people that look after your bags before you see the bags again at your cabin but yet you only tip the very first one to touch them.This is not like at a hotel where the porter meets you at the door or desk and takes you right to your room. We have never had a problem receiving our luggage in good time and shape.

I am not against tipping, have tipped the porters before , just not sure if it makes any difference to tip in the instance.

Like it or not it's the culture on this side of the pond. Work hard, hustle, be nice and you'll make more tips. I would tend to agree that it would be easier to not have to worry about who to tip and how much.

Having said that, we've never used the porters service because we only had a couple of bags each. I'd rather not tie up the porter's time so he can be there for someone who needs help. And really, the good ones won't take time to argue with you because they can just move one to the next person. (Except New York, where the guy took our bags without asking.)

"But as someone just said why tip a bartender and not someone in McDonald's getting you a coke? Isn't it the same."

No, it is NOT the same. The McDonald's employee earns minimum wage. The bartender (who actually mixes the drink, and thus does something for you) and the waitress often are paid less than minimum wage, and the government actually taxes them on expected tips.

When I traveled through Europe last summer, service charges were automatically added. The only differences are the service charges were mandatory, and were actually lower than our typical tip.

As for airline stewards and stewardesses, although they do serve passengers - and not so much anymore- their primary job is to assure passenger safety. They are relatively high-paying, highly trained professional jobs, and tips should not be offered, and if so, should be declined.

Bottom line, OUS visitors should tip, and learn whom to tip, because it's expected, it's our custom, and it's a shame for UK and other visitors to be labeled "stiffs."

From what I´ve read here the porters are union workers and there´s no need to tip them as they are paid decent wages (I´m sure I will be corrected if it´s wrong). However yes I do think they expect you to tip and I´m not talking about if it´s right for them to do so or not.

I know there´s as many opinions about it as there´s people out there. I always tip them and see it as a small price for a sort of insurance to make sure my bags make it onboard dry and in one piece. Afterall these guys are handling my stuff out of my sight and I don´t want to upset them.

It is not a stady job. Many only work a few hours when people are getting on or off the ships. They might be union, but they don't work 40 hours a week.

I'm not really sure what good it does to tip the porter. On one of my cruises, the porter who took my bags walked about 2 steps then placed them on a cart. Someone else (who would not be around for the tipping) took the cart away. When we cruised on the Oasis , the shuttle driver pulled up to the curb and he unloaded all the bags out of the van. Never did see a porter there. There are so many other people that look after your bags before you see the bags again at your cabin but yet you only tip the very first one to touch them.This is not like at a hotel where the porter meets you at the door or desk and takes you right to your room. We have never had a problem receiving our luggage in good time and shape.

I am not against tipping, have tipped the porters before , just not sure if it makes any difference to tip in the instance.

I would guess that the tips are pooled among all of the people working the pier but of course I do not know that as fact.

It is not a stady job. Many only work a few hours when people are getting on or off the ships. They might be union, but they don't work 40 hours a week.

Bingo. The ones working the ship are likely not the ones working a 40 hour week. They get called in when there is extra work.

In any case it is customary in the US to tip anyone who handles bags. No matter their wages. For those who think something will happen to bags where there is no tip I doubt it, although I don't want to find out by testing that.........but the reason I tip them is not that fear, it is because it is expected etiquette in the US despite any signs to the contrary.

We always tip the port attendants that take our luggage, and then the DH watches to make sure the suitcases get in the bin for the ship.

I have seen some port attendants take siuitcases from 2 or 3 families at one time, line them up at the curb and tell us not to worry...........not...........I worry.

So we wait and make sure our bags, are handled properly.

Sea Ya

The real question is do you want to see your bags again? Would you like them to be dry when they get to your cabin? If the answer is yes to eitherof these questions, then you should tip the porters $1 -$2 per bag. It really doesn't matter what you think about the wage structure or what you believ is a "good" wage for a porter, it is customary in the US to tip the porters. End of the story. ;)

While I do believe tipping is appropriate, I don't believe these guys are going to throw non-tippers' bags into the sea. They have just too many bags they are collecting and bags look too much alike for them to do anything. Plus they would risk being fired. Personally I carry my bags on so I know I have my stuff.

After our Adventure cruise last week, and tipping every porter and taxi cab driver we met, we were at the airport waiting for our plane. Hungry, I went up to a cookie stand to purchase a snack. Used my credit card and when I went to sign, saw a TIP _________ above the signature line.

WHAT?!?! You fetched me 3 cookies, put them in a bag, and now it's tip time? :rolleyes: And she got the order wrong, sold me an oatmeal cookie that I did not want. :eek:

The porters who work at luggage are not union in most ports anymore.

They work mostly weekends and have weekly jobs elsewhere.

They work for the port not the ship

We have had lunch with some and overheard their trials and tribulations and how many 'runs' they make.

We engaged and asked a few questions.

Yes your luggage will get on the ship, however a very nice tip and they make sure your bottled water is sent on and not lost.

Yes they have clearance to get on the ship and can deposit it at your door.

And yes TRUST is involved..If you don't want to handle your luggage why not tip the person who is doing the work?

A big smile, a large thank you and a $20 will make his day.

Yes your luggage will get on the ship, however a very nice tip and they make sure your bottled water is sent on and not lost.

Yes they have clearance to get on the ship and can deposit it at your door.

And yes TRUST is involved..If you don't want to handle your luggage why not tip the person who is doing the work?

A big smile, a large thank you and a $20 will make his day.

It works for us every time.

How does the tipping work in Europe. We are leaving on a cruise out of Barcelona towards the end of the year. Are they also expecting tips and how much do you give them. I know tipping over there is not as common as it is in the states.

Hi. We are doing 3rd cruise in April from Fort Lauderdale. We traveled last year from there and the staff that took our bags were very rude and looked upset that we didn't give a tip. Everyone seems to want a tip

Are these people paid a decent wage or do their wages need to be subsidised by us like the waiters and housekeeping staff. The people we gave or bags to last year gave us the dirtiest looks when there was no cash given with the bags.

Coming from a no tipping background I can't grip on who we were supposed to tip. I used to be a flight attendant flying to the USA from Uk all the time and no one ever tipped me from the States.

I am someone who hates tipping but believes everyone should be paid a fair price and conpanies should charge for products that include their staff wages

It is customary to tip baggage handlers. I know that it becomes a bit redundand to tip the cab driver, the baggage handler at the ship and then the porters that bring the bags to your room but unfortunately that's just the way it has become

I consider myself a good tipper like a lot of you , I have always tipped these guys well and dont know if its been the luck of the draw or whatever have always mangaged to get my luggage early . Saying that I agree it has got out of control in the fact should I tip a girl for getting me a cup at Paneara so i can go get my own cup of coffee or like someone said so a person can get you a cookie wow and then do it wrong.

I kinow I was freaked out a bit at Miami port our last cruise , been a long time since we cruised that port when a porter grabbed our stuff in the middle of no where and said Dont worry it will get there . It did and early.

I just feel the need to say - to our friends from the UK and other areas - that the US is not as bad as some of our residents are portraying it. You really don't have to feel like the port dock workers are extortionists, expecting tips or else. And, you are also free to not like the way things are done. The freedom to disagree is one of the basic concepts of our culture, though you wouldn't know it from the several "if you don't like it, don't come here" comments.

That said, tipping culture can be confusing here, even for those of us who live here, partly because it can vary from one place to another. Some ports actually have posted signs saying that the port workers should not be tipped.

And, despite what many have said, the distinction usually is based on how much the person makes. It's not that you need to know his/her exact salary, but higher-paid jobs tend to not require tips. It is not customary to tip medical providers, even though they are giving personal service, nor is it customary to tip plumbers or auto mechanics or A/C repair technicians. And, the ports that say no tipping are usually ones where the porters are longshoremen or similar union workers making good salaries that don't really need to be supplemented by tips.

But, I do think that, in general, the advice is correct that $1-2 per bag is customary in most places, unless it is posted that tipping is not allowed.

The real question is do you want to see your bags again? Would you like them to be dry when they get to your cabin? If the answer is yes to eitherof these questions, then you should tip the porters $1 -$2 per bag. It really doesn't matter what you think about the wage structure or what you believ is a "good" wage for a porter, it is customary in the US to tip the porters. End of the story. ;)

End of story....Really????

That proclamation worked about as well as Burgermeister's "No more toys!"

That may depend on the port, as well. Sometimes they are regular port workers who are working overtime, making 1.5X their normal wage.

We've only cruised once. I was prepared to tip and so brought along plenty of $1 bills.

We were met in the parking garage by a nice young man with a cart who loaded our bags and case of water. He accompanied us on the elevator and waited with us for the shuttle, making small talk and generally being pleasant. When the shuttle arrived, he loaded our bags and I gave him a tip.

We drove 3 minutes to the port. The shuttle driver off loaded everyone's bags in a large pile. We had to retrieve our own bags. We did not tip the shuttle driver.

We got luggage tags from the porter at the port and filled them out ourselves. We did not tip the porter.

Our case of water and all of our luggage made it safely to our cabin in a timely manner :)

The only other time we tipped during the week was twice for room service.

We did not tip the bus driver who took us to the beach on an excursion and we didn't tip at debarkation as we carried our own bags out. We rode the shuttle back to the gargage but didn't tip the driver and we brought our own bags up to the car.

I didn't see anyone else tipping any of the porters or the driver of the shuttle. This did not affect our decision to tip. We just didn't feel like the shuttle driver or the porters at the port were doing anything that warranted cash from us. We basically handled our own bags once we arrived at the port.

The only individualized service we got was from the first young man in the parking garage that we did tip. Every other time it was a huge pile of luggage off loaded on the curb or street that we had to retrieve ourselves.

We also felt no pressure from anyone to tip. This was in New Orleans.

Yes, a few dollars is not that much in the whole scheme of your cruise vacation. But we work hard for each and every dollar that we make so we don't just give them out to everybody for the sake of giving them out. Tipping may be customary in America, but that doesn't mean you tip without discretion. I would not accept being bullied or threatened into tipping - I hope I never encounter that.

I have no issues of giving tips for services I received but I do have an issue of giving tips to supplement their wages because their employers are not paying them decently. Also at 15-20% which is way over the top, 10% should be maximum. Customers feel like they are getting ripped off by the employer as they are paying the staff wages.

In the US, tipping IS the wage they are paid. The minimum wage for a Waiter is $2.13 per hour, and that is how most of them are paid. Even if you don't agree with it, I dont see the US changing its culture any time soon. This is how these workers get paid.

It seems after reading a lot of threads recently about Gratuities /tips/service charge there is no Country fully happy with what is going on. That goes for us Brits/US/Australians and any other country and no matter which country you are in at the time.

I do my own thing and enjoy my Cruise/Holiday.I do what i feel most comfortable with.

Archived