Shopping in Cozumel?

All the Cruise Directors try to encourage everyone to take a taxi to the downtown area where all the shops are. If you go a little farther in an area called San Miguel you can find very nice gifts; art, silver jewelry, clothes, hammocks, pottery etc, for yourself and to bring home.

Just make sure the cab driver drops you off at the "town square of San Miguel" and not in the middle of downtown Cozumel like they did for us once.

San Miguel is a straight drive down from the downtown area so there are no side streets to go down. This is what it looks like so make sure you bring this with you and show it to your driver - http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=13&with_photo_id=42883101&order=date_desc&user=611603

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We're going to hit the beach first and then do some shopping - we'll be sure to check out these recommendations. Had not heard of San Miguel before - appreciate that information! :)

My DW is a big shopper and we plan to be there next Tues on Jewel. The key thing to remember about Mexico and in particular Cozumel is in most places (but not all), every price is a negotiation. They are very happy if you take the first price but always counter with a low price and settle on what you are willing to pay. Most times we get from 33-50% off the price we are initally quoted or we try someplace else, if no one else will give you the price you want just stop back at the original store on your way back to port..

Mike

We were in Cozumel last December with my MIL. She was in a transport/wheelchair, so we took her shopping at the pier. There were some fantastic prices on jewelry. She bought a gorgeouus necklace and matching earring set for $12.

When we don't feel like doing an excursion or renting a car, we shop at the stores

right there at the docks. We also like to walk over to the Carnival owned dock

shopping area. They have much of the same things and similar pricing, but it

is newer, more modern and has a larger area of shops and restaurants. Check the

pricing on items on the ship before you head out also. Sometimes you will find

deals on the ship that can surprise you. At least you can compare pricing easily.

BTW: This thread most likely will get moved shortly. You will find it in the

ports of call area on CC.

...Just make sure the cab driver drops you off at the "town square of San Miguel" and not in the middle of downtown Cozumel like they did for us once...
I have been to Cozumel dozens of times, starting in the 1970s when they had never seen a cruise ship, and was there last month and the month before. There is only one town on the island of Cozumel: San Miguel de Cozumel (locally just San Miguel). It does have a town square (in Spanish zocalo). Admittedly San Miguel has different neighborhoods, but you have me totally confused with a reference to "downtown Cozumel" being distinct from "San Miguel". Perhaps your cab driver was delivering you to his brother/cousin's place.

The on-board Sucker's [oops - Ship's] Shopping Guide person often hands out passes for a free taxi for the 5km ride from International Pier [where RCI docks] to about four blocks beyond the ferry dock / zocalo area where a number of shops [Diamond International, etc] are. An easy walk back to the zocalo from there. The return taxi is at your expense.

Thom

Please know your prices on comparable items in the US, and how to buy silver, there is a number stamped on the good stuff, maybe some counterfeit numbers as well, price will show the real thing.

Some one mentioned the Carnival dock, yes nice restaurant, and shopping.

Please google Los Cinco Sols. I think you will find everything you are looking for there. It is at the far end of San Miguel from the pier. Pancho's Backyard is a good restaurant that is located at this site also. I like to have the taxi drop me there, then work my way back toward the ship, and take a taxi from the lower end of town back to the ship. Also, please be aware that the shops will most all have people trying to get you to come into their shops. They can be pretty aggressive. Just say no thank you and keep walking if you are not interested.

Here is a link:

I have been to Cozumel dozens of times, starting in the 1970s when they had never seen a cruise ship, and was there last month and the month before. There is only one town on the island of Cozumel: San Miguel de Cozumel (locally just San Miguel). It does have a town square (in Spanish zocalo). Admittedly San Miguel has different neighborhoods, but you have me totally confused with a reference to "downtown Cozumel" being distinct from "San Miguel". Perhaps your cab driver was delivering you to his brother/cousin's place.

The on-board Sucker's [oops - Ship's] Shopping Guide person often hands out passes for a free taxi for the 5km ride from International Pier [where RCI docks] to about four blocks beyond the ferry dock / zocalo area where a number of shops [Diamond International, etc] are. An easy walk back to the zocalo from there. The return taxi is at your expense.

Thom

I never know how to explain things. By down town I mean the area in which the Forum Shops are located along with shop after shop along that same street.

Please google Los Cinco Sols. I think you will find everything you are looking for there. It is at the far end of San Miguel from the pier. Pancho's Backyard is a good restaurant that is located at this site also. I like to have the taxi drop me there, then work my way back toward the ship, and take a taxi from the lower end of town back to the ship. Also, please be aware that the shops will most all have people trying to get you to come into their shops. They can be pretty aggressive. Just say no thank you and keep walking if you are not interested.

Here is a link:

Definitely go to Los Cinco Soles, not just the one that is at the pier, take a cab and go to the big store in town. The one in town is huge and doesn't have just the touristy stuff that the pier one sells.

The only issue we had their was with our American Express card. We ended up spending more there than we expected so hadn't taken enough cash off the ship so we gave the cashier the AMEX. She said that the machine wasn't working for AMEX but would work for any other card. When I said oh well, we would put everything back, she said she would try to make it work. It worked on the first try.:rolleyes:

We stopped in a few other stores but they were very aggressive trying to get you to come in so we didn't stay very long.

I never know how to explain things. By down town I mean the area in which the Forum Shops are located along with shop after shop along that same street.

I think many people recommend the forum shops as they are on the North side of town and the dock is on the South side of town. By starting at the Forum shops you walk about 8-10 blocks back toward the square which lets you see the most shops, then you can walk a few more blocks south before picking up a taxi and taking that back to the ship

that way, you dont have to backtrack. You just go to the North side of town and walk back toward the ship

... By down town I mean the area in which the Forum Shops are located along with shop after shop along that same street.
Okay, I understand what you are talking about. I couldn't remember the name "Forum shops", but that is the area that sometimes the Shopping Guide has free taxi vouchers to. I sort of think of that as "uptown", but only because I've very map oriented and that is on the North side of town [the top (up) side of the map if the convention of north to the top is being followed].

Thom

If you really want to "shop" get off that main drag and off the dock. Go to the square downtown and head into the warren of shop on the back side and side streets. There is where they will dicker endlessly. Yeah, they can be agressive, but that is what you want. I love going back there and finding the same items for much less and sometime things you will find no where else. Never felt unsafe back there ever.

Be careful when shopping at these kind of places. I bought some jewelry at a port and charged it on my Visa. The transaction was in pesos. The clerk said it translated into the American dollar amount that we had agreed upon. I was shocked when I received my Visa bill and the transaction was $40.00 more than I had agreed upon. Fortunately I called my Capital One Visa card and they credited my the difference.

I think many people recommend the forum shops as they are on the North side of town and the dock is on the South side of town. By starting at the Forum shops you walk about 8-10 blocks back toward the square which lets you see the most shops, then you can walk a few more blocks south before picking up a taxi and taking that back to the ship

that way, you dont have to backtrack. You just go to the North side of town and walk back toward the ship

Thanks. I just printed out your instructions and placed them in our upcoming Dec cruise.

Archived