Coffee Question

TruRed76

I've actually brought one of those coffee makers (along with the coffee and filters) that you sit on top of your mug, put in the filter and coffee, and it drips into your mug. I then either get hot water from the buffet, or ask for hot water in the dining room.

Nancyanne

• 6 months later...
They have both half and half and full cream, although sometimes you have to ask for the full cream as it isn't out at the coffee stations. Have not seen powdered stuff ever on board, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a supply of it somewhere.

Thanks. I am looking for half and half.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am a self-certified coffee snob. At home I only drink Brazilian coffee that I have to drive an hour and a half to get (cheaper drive than getting it shipped). I then brew it in my cup into heated milk and make it strong and sweet.

I can safely say that I really like the coffee at Cafe al Bacio. It's worth the cost.

Keep the free coffee bad enough and people will have to to buy overpriced espresso from the coffee bar. Sounds a tad Unethical to me.

:mad:

Coffee seems to be an issue across all the mass cruise lines. Too bad they get this simple thing so wrong. I don't know if they do it on purpose or if it is that hard to keep 3,000 people in decent coffee all the time.

The worst part is that while we like to nicer espresso based coffees some we still don't like it as much as a nice cup of decent coffee that is drip brewed (also called filter coffee in some areas). I wish they'd add a premium coffee of this type to the Cafe al Bacio menu. It would probably also speed up the service there as it is a lot quicker to pour good drip brewed coffee than to pull shots of espresso.

IMHO no one who drowns their coffee in cream and sugar can honestly call themselves a true coffee snob:D.

But seriously, I agree that overall coffee on the ship leaves a lot to be desired. I have had decent coffee in the MDR, and some so horrible I could not drink it (and I am not all that fussy). The buffet coffee generally is pretty awful but now and then you get a decent batch. I have only tried lattes in the Café al Bacio, and they were ok, but not great. A step up from their regular coffee in the MDR or buffet but that is not saying much. I do think it beats Via, but makes sense to bring some Via as back-up if you can't tolerate any other coffee.

We found the coffee served in the MDR very strong. After the first night we asked for hot water and added it to our coffee. Then it was drinkable for us.

I do not work for this company but I use this product when I travel..

For those of you really into coffee, buy an aeropress, it is a travel designed all polycarbonite french press. Add your own ground coffee(that you can pack in a dbl baggie) and hot water from the MDCR etc., and you get your favorite brew while traveling. it works and I find it worthwhile... but then I also roast my own beans. :D:D:D

anyhow, just a thought.....

or ..

cruise enough attain Elite status, go to elite breakfast get a dbl moccha latte in the am with an expresso shot add it to the MDR or buffet coffe and you're in business("free") and add it to the MDR or Buffet coffee...

I found the regular coffee undrinkable...the Cafe Americano at Cafe Al Bacio was very good and very much like medium roast columbian coffee. I stopped by there every morning and picked up 2 cups to have on our Veranda. I am not a "coffee drink" coffee drinker. Just good plain coffee. The Americano fits the bill.

I'm like you because the Americano at Café Bacio fits my taste but the Café Bacio was too far from my cabin. The regular coffee in the buffet was dreadful and the coffee station a hazard. My solution was to bring instant coffee and dry creamer aboard with an additional box of powdered mocha mix. I'd start the day with my dry mix in a big thermal mug and fill it with hot water.

If I had the Classic drink package, I might go to the bother of visiting Café Bacio to get Lattes in a teapot.

-Marisa

Does Celebrity have 1/2 and 1/2 or real cream for the coffee? or is it just the fake stuff (powdered or coffee mate)?

I can buy coffee when on land but am on a transatlantic with many sea days. May need to get some "mini moos" at Sam's Club.

Thanks

Dena

In the Buffet, and in the Spa, they had Cream, Whole Milk, Skim Milk and powdered whiteners.

At breakfast, they even put out warmed milk in a pump dispenser.

We love to cruise. The DW does not drink coffee.

I have found the ships coffee DEPLORABLE.

Despite their touting Seattles Best or Starbucks it is still bad.

In order to have my usual buffet coffee in the morning to make it drinkable, I order 1/2 hot water, 1/2 regular coffee.

Later on, I go to the Diamond Lounge (0n R.C.C.L.)

and, get a cup there, which I have found is better. For dinner I do not drink coffee at all.

I would MUCH pprefer a cup of 7-11 coffee in the morning as to a shipboard cup. Even the NAVY had better coffee, although, I don't know what it might be like these days... :mad:

Seriously! Deplorable? You would prefer 7-11 coffee to Celebrity brew? The coffee is just fine on the Celebrity ships. I dislike Starbucks coffee (takes like someone butted a cigarette in it) and find the ship's coffee too strong. No problem, add some hot water and cream. Hubby enjoys it as is.

I've said it before and now I'll say it again....What is it with these cruise lines and their BAD coffee? Celebrity, Carnival, RCCL and Disney so far...all yucky. While I hate that all of you are getting tortured, too, I'm glad it's not just me being picky. ;)

I'm really going to enjoy my premium drink package which will include all the good coffee drinks. 13 days... :D

I'm not a drinks package kind of guy. I'm happy with a glass of wine at dinner, and maybe a late night drink with a cigar if I am smoking one that night. I don't drink pop, and only have one or two cups of coffee a day, so even the NA package would be a waste for me.

I really resent the nearly undrinkable coffee. This is the type of thing we should be really vocal about. If they served powdered eggs with breakfast, we'd pan the line in our reviews. If our steak was tough, you know they'd hear about it. Why do we let them get away with terrible coffee?

ProTip: An espresso in any walk up window in Italy costs 1 Euro and takes all of thirty seconds to Locate, Order and Consume. Take full advantage of this fact. A Cappuccino is E 1.50 to 2.50. And you get to drink it on a sidewalk café beside a Venetian canal.

Seriously! Deplorable? You would prefer 7-11 coffee to Celebrity brew? The coffee is just fine on the Celebrity ships. I dislike Starbucks coffee (takes like someone butted a cigarette in it) and find the ship's coffee too strong. No problem, add some hot water and cream. Hubby enjoys it as is.

Like food...everyone has different tastes in coffee. My wife enjoys a little coffee with her flavored creamer...and I love coffee, and buy my beans each week from my favorite Roasters...but I too find the Celebrity brewed coffee almost undrinkable (deplorable even)...It was so bad on my last Millennium cruise that even though I despise flavoring, or any type of sweetener in my coffee, I actually added part of a packet of instant cocoa mix to make it semi-drinkable.

If I weren't an early riser, and could wait for Cafe al Bacio to open, I would...However, I am up each morning between 3-4am, and cant wait 3 hours for my caffeine fix !!

Like someone else posted, I have made several suggestions to Celebrity that they include fresh, quality brewed coffee...at least in Cafe al Bacio, and charge appropriately if need be...I think it would be a well received option.

(and yes, I would drink 7-11 coffee over Celebrity coffee if given a choice !!...and I only resort to 7-11 coffee in a dire "caffeine withdrawal" emergency !! :)

Enjoy

Woody

We don't find the buffet coffee to be bad. However, it is frequently too strong and we add hot water.

As I get older, I have significantly cut back on my coffee consumption (generally no more than two cups in the morning). I don't pay $5 for Starbucks type coffee, but use mine for martinis or wine.

Seriously! (I agree with the poster on this) Deplorable? You would prefer 7-11 coffee to Celebrity brew? (Actually, as bad as 7-11 coffee is - I agree the ship's coffee doesn't reach that level) The coffee is just fine on the Celebrity ships. (not in my opinion) I dislike Starbucks coffee (takes like someone butted a cigarette in it) (I really like Starbucks coffee) and find the ship's coffee too strong. No problem, add some hot water and cream. (Nothing fixes it for us although a lot of sweetner and milk makes it bearable to gulp down if I'm really desperate for a caffeine fix) Hubby enjoys it as is. (My DW feels worse about it than I do)

As to your comment on Starbucks: Have you had it lately? They now have a lot of really nice medium roast coffees in addition to their original dark roast. They've improved a lot over the years.

Like food...everyone has different tastes in coffee. My wife enjoys a little coffee with her flavored creamer...and I love coffee, and buy my beans each week from my favorite Roasters...but I too find the Celebrity brewed coffee almost undrinkable (deplorable even)...It was so bad on my last Millennium cruise that even though I despise flavoring, or any type of sweetener in my coffee, I actually added part of a packet of instant cocoa mix to make it semi-drinkable.

If I weren't an early riser, and could wait for Cafe al Bacio to open, I would...However, I am up each morning between 3-4am, and cant wait 3 hours for my caffeine fix !!

Like someone else posted, I have made several suggestions to Celebrity that they include fresh, quality brewed coffee...at least in Cafe al Bacio, and charge appropriately if need be...I think it would be a well received option.

(and yes, I would drink 7-11 coffee over Celebrity coffee if given a choice !!...and I only resort to 7-11 coffee in a dire "caffeine withdrawal" emergency !! :)

Enjoy

Woody

What he said....!! :D:D

ProTip: An espresso in any walk up window in Italy costs 1 Euro and takes all of thirty seconds to Locate, Order and Consume. Take full advantage of this fact. A Cappuccino is E 1.50 to 2.50. And you get to drink it on a sidewalk café beside a Venetian canal.

Our first cruise was a Costa and we got well and truly spoilt. Our coffee drinking changed radically, Italians will not drink rubbish coffee. Of course getting your coffee in the morning from the expresso (euro a shot 2 years ago) service areas was manic! The coffee in the buffet area was designed for non Italians and involved popular brands in sachets lol

Archived