Coffee Question

TruRed76

I have read that the "free" coffee is pretty bad. I have also seen menus from Cafe Al Bacio and I have seen espresso and cappuccino listed or versions of them. DH wants to know if they have just good, regular coffee? Similar to the different roasts and flavors offered by Starbucks? If so, does anyone know the prices? Thank you!

Laura

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, thanks! We may have to look into some other options such as bringing some good coffee creamer on board to drown the "bad" coffee :) It could be a LONG week if DH goes without his coffee!

If you enjoy coffee, what they serve at the Buffet does not qualify. Yes, this is subjective. Some people like it, some do not :) We get the premium drink package - this allows us flexibility in our beverage choices, INCLUDING, unlimited 1st rate coffee choices at Al Bacio! :)

Oh, we don't mind paying for the coffee...Just want to know if they have regular coffee as well as the espressos, cappuccinos, mochas, etc. DH likes his good coffee, just not all the specialty drinks! Now he's thinking he's going to be sprinting off the ship at port to find a coffee shop ;) Lol - I will stick with my diet cokes!

We are very picky coffee drinkers, wish I could.smuggle my Kureig on board :) Anyway, we were pleasantly surprised on our SILHOUETTE sailing that the coffee was actually drinkable. I like my coffee black so if it can't stand alone then I am drinking Tea! Hubby gets the coffee package he.likes his coffee sweet and creamy. Give the coffee a try then.decide if you want the.speciality coffees

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

I found the regular coffee undrinkable...the Cafe Americano at Cafe Al Bacio was very good and very much like medium roast columbian coffee. I stopped by there every morning and picked up 2 cups to have on our Veranda. I am not a "coffee drink" coffee drinker. Just good plain coffee. The Americano fits the bill.

I have found that most of the coffees on Royal and Celebrity are OK. I can drink it. Princess has or used to have this thick syrup that was so bitter that I could not drink it even with a lot of water added. If I don't like the coffee in one place I will try other free spots before I pay for my AM cup of coffee.

I found that the Cafe Americano came very close to a regular coffee at Starbucks. It was $5.19, gratuity included. Had a couple of those every day at Cafe Bacio and enjoyed greatly. Also, I thought that the coffee at the AquaSpa Cafe was a bit more drinkable than any of the other free coffee offered throughout the ship.

I found that the Cafe Americano came very close to a regular coffee at Starbucks. It was $5.19, gratuity included. Had a couple of those every day at Cafe Bacio and enjoyed greatly. Also, I thought that the coffee at the AquaSpa Cafe was a bit more drinkable than any of the other free coffee offered throughout the ship.

Is it better than Timmy's?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

If you pay attention to the brew time on the brewers on the buffet you can get a decent cup. Early morning is the best time. If you stop in the Spa cafe ( cannot remember the actual name) and pick up a coffee and light brioche you are good to go. They seem to brew in smaller quantities.

We've never found a cup of regular drip brewed coffee we liked while cruising.

As others have said the nicer quality, extra cost, coffee on the ship is all espresso based. On our last trip we bought the non-alcoholic beverage package for the last half of the cruise and enjoyed that for our daily coffee and have bought it for our upcoming cruise. Our cabin is strategically located relatively close to the coffee bar for quick trips there in the morning to get our lattes. While we prefer regular drip brewed coffee in the morning (a/k/a filter coffee) the lattes are OK.

Years ago we used to actually bring an inexpensive coffee maker with us but several years ago Celebrity added these to the prohibited items list right along with illegal drugs, fireworks and weapons. After that we brought along a coffee press and our own coffee. That worked really well but was a pain to clean out in the cabin.

Then we started using Starbucks Via. The Via is a pretty good alternative and you can get large packs of it at a decent price either from Costco or online at Amazon or Starbucks. It isn't my favorite but was still way ahead of the coffee served on board.

This next trip will be our first in years without any of these items as we'll have the beverage package from the start so we'll rely on lattes from the coffee bar. By the way, if you don't have a beverage package the lattes are $4.50 each and I think a dollar more if you want a double shot of espresso plus a 15% service charge. They do serve them in take away cups on request.

Ok, thanks! We may have to look into some other options such as bringing some good coffee creamer on board to drown the "bad" coffee :) It could be a LONG week if DH goes without his coffee!

My wife likes a "little coffee" with her flavored creamers and sugar...so I always take a couple of containers of the powdered flavored-creamers for her...For me...it is definitely espresso based coffees at Cafe al Bacio, as the regular coffee(which I have to tolerate, since I get up very early, until the Cafe opens) just is not enjoyable in the least bit...and impossible to "drown" !!:D

Woody

OP, do you like the Starbucks Via (or something similar)? if so, consider bring it along as a PP suggested. That way you have another option if the americano is inconvenient or closed. It is easy to get hot water, though I hear some people stir it into the standard coffee.

We love to cruise. The DW does not drink coffee.

I have found the ships coffee DEPLORABLE.

Despite their touting Seattles Best or Starbucks it is still bad.

In order to have my usual buffet coffee in the morning to make it drinkable, I order 1/2 hot water, 1/2 regular coffee.

Later on, I go to the Diamond Lounge (0n R.C.C.L.)

and, get a cup there, which I have found is better. For dinner I do not drink coffee at all.

I would MUCH pprefer a cup of 7-11 coffee in the morning as to a shipboard cup. Even the NAVY had better coffee, although, I don't know what it might be like these days... :mad:

Argh... Just the topic I hate because I dread bad cruise ship coffee.

How much is the non alcoholic beverage card (Summit 7 day)? Is there any way to get a coffee card- as on Princess?

IMHO Starbucks Via: not good. Tastes like instant.

I usually tend to suck down room service coffee to get going in the AM and then switch to tea. But for non drinkers coffee can be very important :).

How much is the non alcoholic beverage card (Summit 7 day)? Is there any way to get a coffee card- as on Princess?

I usually tend to suck down room service coffee to get going in the AM and then switch to tea. But for non drinkers coffee can be very important :).

Hi,

No coffee card on Celebrity....and attached from Celebrity website:

Classic Non-Alcoholic Package

In addition to enjoying your favorite Coca Cola can and fountain sodas selections such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Coke Zero, you may also enjoy fresh squeezed and bottled juices, Premium Coffees and Teas and Non-Premium Bottled Water. *Starting from: 14.00 USD Per Night

Enjoy

Woody

We may have to try the Starbucks Via before we go, along with some other options just in case the Americano does not work for dh. He prefers good, old-fashioned regular drip coffee drowned in cream and sugar. He does not like the "foo-foo" coffee drinks, as he calls them :)

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I have read that the "free" coffee is pretty bad. I have also seen menus from Cafe Al Bacio and I have seen espresso and cappuccino listed or versions of them. DH wants to know if they have just good, regular coffee? Similar to the different roasts and flavors offered by Starbucks? If so, does anyone know the prices? Thank you!

Laura

We found the coffee served in the MDR very strong. After the first night we asked for hot water and added it to our coffee. Then it was drinkable for us.

Hi,

No coffee card on Celebrity....and attached from Celebrity website:

Classic Non-Alcoholic Package

In addition to enjoying your favorite Coca Cola can and fountain sodas selections such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Coke Zero, you may also enjoy fresh squeezed and bottled juices, Premium Coffees and Teas and Non-Premium Bottled Water. *Starting from: 14.00 USD Per Night

Enjoy

Woody

Thank you, Woody! I have a son named Woody! By "premium coffees" do you mean a few lattes and espressos a day?

We tease my husband that he drinks coffee so weak you have to help it out of the cup....but on our last cruise he finally tried Cafe al Bacio and he really loved the Americano. We have also resorted to Via, which I would rank considerably above the ship's coffee, if that tells you anything. And it doesn't matter what cruise line--Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Holland American. Someone called the coffee "deplorable" and that fits it all. Ick.

You really know you're on vacation when you can get nice coffee and sit in the comfy chairs in Cafe al Bacio and relax and watch the sea and people going by. Our next cruise is Alaska on the Millie, and we are armed with the Premium Alcohol Package....so the coffee is a big deal to us both We usually have two cups each in the morning and one in the afternoon, and it really adds up..$13.50 per person a day for the Americano....so the package really helps. LOVE it!

Thank you, Woody! I have a son named Woody! By "premium coffees" do you mean a few lattes and espressos a day?

Hi from Woody !! (Your son must be a great guy....too !!):D

Yes lattes and espressos are included in the "premium coffees" on the Classic Non-Alc Package...a few...or as many as you like !

Woody

Thx for the tip. I'll experiment with "instant" at home and add a brand I can live with to hot water aboard ship.

Instant beats, going to the cafe or taking coffee, filters, & string to dip my own brew in hot water onboard.

Archived