3 night coastal cruise - any thoughts?

Jaberwocky

We are looking at the 3 day coastal cruise that leaves from Vancouver and ends in L.A. Has anyone taken this cruise? Do you know if it stops in San Francisco? We've never been on a cruise this short, but thought it might be fun to see the West Coast this way. We know there is a longer cruise, but the short one fits our time frame this time. The ship is either Coral, Island or Golden. We sailed on the Island to Panama Canal and loved it. Any thoughts about this cruise? Thanks!

I really like the short coastals. The 3 day to LA won't stop in SF. I live in the San Francisco area so I try to do the cruises that either begin or end there. They are fun and give me a cruise fix until my longer cruises.

These cruises are usually repositioning cruises when they move the ships to and from the Alaska runs to the southern runs-like the Panama Canal. We were on one last September fromVancouver to LA and we continued on through the Panama Canal to FLL.

That said, it was a nice 3 days. We has excellent food. They ran it like a full cruise with the traditional sail away and land fall dinners. Our cruise was packed with a bunch of Canadians heading to LA who said that the cruise was cheaper that flying!

THe only bad thing about them is that they are over too soon, but that was not a problem for us.:)

When they asked about stopping in SFO, it was confusing which ship they were referring to. I would think each would have a different itinerary.

That may be so. When planning for our trip we saw a couple of itineraries that stopped in SFO overnight. Since we have been there many times, we were not interested in stopping there-but I do know they can stop there....

My sister and I are sailling on a 3 day in May from LA to Vancouver. There will be no stops, just sea days. Sounds like we will have a nice relaxing trip. We are stongly considering staying the night in Vancouver and spending a day seeing the sights. Any recommendations on where we might stay?

My sister and I are sailling on a 3 day in May from LA to Vancouver. There will be no stops, just sea days. Sounds like we will have a nice relaxing trip. We are stongly considering staying the night in Vancouver and spending a day seeing the sights. Any recommendations on where we might stay?

If you want to splurge a little, you can stay at the Pan Pacific. The hotel is part of the Canada Place cruise terminal. You can walk off the ship and check right in - no taxi or long walk. It's a really nice hotel. In the early evening, you can watch the ships sailaway on their next cruise.

My DH and I have taken this cruise twice - both times on the Coral. Great value - great ship (that has recently been refurbished). Weather was good both times with lots to do on board. It doesn't stop anywhere along the way however. There are some 5, 6 and 7 day coastal cruises and I'm trying NCL this May to compare. This one does have four ports of call (San Fran, Astoria, Victoria and Nanaimo) and two sea days. They will have to do a lot to convince me that the Coral isn't the best ship though ;)

I did one of these on the Star Princess quite some time ago, and I'm booked for the Island Princess coastal repo in May. I've also done a 5-day Southbound coastal repo on the Sapphire Princess, which did include stops at Victoria and San Francisco (I think they've since switched to full 7-day cruises for those repos now.) They're nice little cruises, even though they do tend to be on the short side. For West Coast people they're also nice because we don't have to spend $400+ in airfare to get there like we would have to for a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale (although all things being equal I'd still take a Caribbean itinerary any day) but at the same time, you need to set your expectations that the weather might not be all that great on one of these.

I've done the San Francisco to Vancouver on the Golden (2 nights). Too Fast, but cruising is always a good thing to do. Did a repositioning from Vancouver to San Diego on HAL. Neither of these stopped along the way. Island will go to San Francisco, Coral and Golden to LA. Just got off the Golden to Hawaii. Love the Coral (and her sister ship the Island). Spend a few days in Vancouver before the cruise to lengthen your vacation. Vancouver is a great place to visit.

I did notice that the passengers were a little younger on these short cruises.

Renee

If you want to splurge a little, you can stay at the Pan Pacific. The hotel is part of the Canada Place cruise terminal. You can walk off the ship and check right in - no taxi or long walk. It's a really nice hotel. In the early evening, you can watch the ships sailaway on their next cruise.

I saw that hotel online. I'm going to mention it to my sister. It sounded really nice.

We spent two nights pre cruise last May. There is so much to see and do there. We found a condo in Yaletown to rent for two nights. Was cheaper than a hotel; we could cook a few meals; and free parking for the rental car.

Check the Vancouver board for information. "Putterdude" is especially helpful and quick to answer questions. Check into the hop on hop off trolley around the city. Also Capilano Suspension Bridge park was wonderful (free shuttle).

• 2 weeks later...

We have done a few of these cruise and they are nice and relaxing. In fact, I have one booked in May and one in September - both 3 night cruises. And as one of the other poster said, it is also my way of getting my cruising fix until the next big cruise.

We are also booked on the Coral for a 3 dayer on May 19th, 2013 from LA to Vancouver. I think it's a quick fab cruise inbetween other cruises. We are staying at the Marriott Harbourside. Any others on this cruise, look for my roll call. (which is kinda weak at the moment). icon9.gif Have fun!

We did a 3 night cruise from Seattle to Nanaimo and Vancouver. A few years ago you could use these short cruises to add to your loyalty program (from gold to Platinum, etc). We did a couple one nighters, Seattle to Vancouver and Van to Sea. Figured it was cheaper then a 'night out' - dinner and a show plus the cruise!

We agreed afterwards that a one nighter is not a good first timers experience. With unpacking, muster drill, packing again in am and going through customs, it would be hard to get a true feel for a cruise.

If you normally can't afford a suite, consider one (especially an aft suite) for this cruise. Not too much more than a balcony, and you get credit for two cruises as well as the other suite perks.

Note that you really can't see shore well after the first night, and the direction of the waves will rock the ship more than other cruises.

Had a special buffet on deck on Golden both sea days and one was all desserts....

• 3 months later...
We did a 3 night cruise from Seattle to Nanaimo and Vancouver. A few years ago you could use these short cruises to add to your loyalty program (from gold to Platinum, etc). We did a couple one nighters, Seattle to Vancouver and Van to Sea. Figured it was cheaper then a 'night out' - dinner and a show plus the cruise!

I believe that you still can.:)

I have a question for those of you who have done the 3 or 4 day repo cruises from LA to Vancouver. I had asked my TA about one and she told me that she would not allow me to book one, as they are known as the "vomit cruises" as the seas can be very rough going north against the current. Has anyone experienced this or heard this term before? :confused::eek:

For a couple of reasons. Living land locked in west central Canada the airfare to get to the ship would be as much or more than the cruise. We like long trips. Next cruise is 31 days in total. I have met tablemates onboard who got to the Elite level doing nothing but this type of trip. I had way more days at sea then they did but had not made it to that level with its perks. Kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Not them but the company policy.

We have done a couple of these, most recently, just this past May. We were on both, the Star and the the Coral. These sailings were just a week or so apart from each other.

On the Star, it was just amazingly calm from LA all the way to the straits going into Puget Sound. It was one of the calmest seas that we have had on a cruise. Seemed like we were cruising in a bay somewhere vice out in the open waters.

Now, just a week later on the Coral, it was a different story. It was rough from the time we left LA. Once we turned and headed north, it got rougher and rougher. It was very windy and the weather was not nice. On the second day, they closed off the upper outside decks due to the wind and the "rocking and rolling". Suggested that we don't use, or be very careful when exiting to an outside deck. I felt bad for the crew since there were lots of people who were getting sick. Once we turned into the straits going into Puget Sound, it calmed down. This was the roughest waters we had had during a cruise.

This was the third northbound LA to Vancouver we have done, and would not hesitate to go on another. Great way to find out if you are prone to seasickness!

We have done the southbound from Vancouver to either LA or SF, and they appear to be somewhat calmer.

Hope this helps you in your decision to go or not.

Archived