Anyone know for sure about Explorer? A bit worried...

We sailed on Explorer for the first time this past December. We thought she was in wonderful shape for a ship of her age! We sailed on Sapphire Princess when she was practically brand new and saw many more things in need of repair (e.g., torn carpeting, missing mosaics, etc.).

Our cabin (6342, I think?) did have a flat screen TV, but no other updating. The rug next to the sliding glass door was a little damp (which I found out in the middle of one night), but I just made sure I had my slippers on when I got up.

I would not hesitate to sail on Explorer again, but it didn't have all the bells & whistles that DH likes--he's obsessed with Allure and Oasis!

I've heard conflicting things that the drydock for Explorer is either scheduled November/December of 2014, and then I also hear February of 2014.

However, the website is still allowing bookings for all of February of 2014, and the winter ones are not released yet.

Does anyone know for sure?

I ask because I want to go on Explorer in June of 2014 - But I'm hearing so many reviews about all the rust, how much she is showing her age, etc, that if she isn't drydocked before that... I don't want to book! :cool: (Which then causes a whole other can of worms - I live in upstate NY and am not spending an extra arm and leg to fly... ughhh :rolleyes:)

Thanks!!

For what its worth, we also live in upstate NY and fly out of either Buffalo or Rochester on Southwest/AirTran to Orlando. Th cheapest we have paid is $89 per person one way and the most is $140.

I found XoS to be quite shabby, indeed. Here are some photos from our stateroom taken on 3/4. I would not book again until after dry dock if at all.

Just curious... why did you take those photos? Also, this minor stuff would actually keep you from sailing on the ship when there are so many more major positives?

Just curious... why did you take those photos? Also, this minor stuff would actually keep you from sailing on the ship when there are so many more major positives?

Um... for people on CC who ask about it? It took 30 seconds on the last day of the cruise. You act like I was going around looking for things that were wrong. That was, quite literally, me about to pack my camera going "hey, maybe a few quick shots around the stateroom can help someone on the boards." There are others but these are the ones that specifically address things that should be taken care of during drydock.

And yes, we did not like the XoS and a part of that was the disrepair it was in, part was how dirty it seemed, part was the food (both quality and lack of) and part was the other cruisers. (Sorry, did not like that we couldn't even communicate with half of the other cruisers because we do not speak adequate French nor do they speak adequate English. Making new friends is a big reason we cruise and such a large number of non-English speakers was not something we were prepared for.)

I didn't see the "major positives" you speak of and I do not foresee us sailing XoS again. If you do, then continue to sail on XoS. To each his own.

If what is stated on here is correct I am a little disappointed to find Explorer is not going in for upgrade in Feb 2014 as their website says. We just booked a cruise for May 2014 expecting to find the upgrades such as new food venues, diamond lounge (was to be our 1st cruise as diamond), updated staterooms.

I know for some of you those things don't matter, but they do to me. :p

Bill

And yes, we did not like the XoS and a part of that was the disrepair it was in, part was how dirty it seemed, part was the food (both quality and lack of) and part was the other cruisers. (Sorry, did not like that we couldn't even communicate with half of the other cruisers because we do not speak adequate French nor do they speak adequate English. Making new friends is a big reason we cruise and such a large number of non-English speakers was not something we were prepared for.)

I didn't see the "major positives" you speak of and I do not foresee us sailing XoS again. If you do, then continue to sail on XoS. To each his own.

Gosh, we've been on several ships, including the Explorer--5 times just on Ex. Too each his own is certainly true--disrepair and dirty would be extreme and outlandish adjectives for our experiences. Food--very subjective; too few non-English speakers--oh, well--the world is full of 'em!

Future Explorer cruisers: please don't despair after reading the above poster's comments! She is a great ship, in our opinion!

Teddie

Teddie

part was the other cruisers. (Sorry, did not like that we couldn't even communicate with half of the other cruisers because we do not speak adequate French nor do they speak adequate English. Making new friends is a big reason we cruise and such a large number of non-English speakers was not something we were prepared for.)

I'm guessing this was the real real for your negative feelings.

I'm also guessing that "French" was substituted for something else.

If I'm not correct, please forgive me, but I find it hard to understand your negativity toward a ship that features wonderful ice shows, a Royal Promenade. Rock Climbing Wall, a Promenade Cafe, Solarium, etc., etc..

I'm guessing this was the real real for your negative feelings.

I'm also guessing that "French" was substituted for something else.

If I'm not correct, please forgive me, but I find it hard to understand your negativity toward a ship that features wonderful ice shows, a Royal Promenade. Rock Climbing Wall, a Promenade Cafe, Solarium, etc., etc..

No, I think I was quite clear what it is we didn't like. A lot of it was the ship, a little bit of it was the communication barrier with our fellow cruisers. If you want to turn it into something else in your head, that's fine too.

EDIT:Just read DH your post. His response, "Promenade Cafe sucked b**ls."

dirty would be extreme and outlandish adjectives

We had a promenade room. There was a solid layer of dust and confetti on everything above ground level on the Promenade that would not be visible to those walking the promenade. Made us wonder what else hadn't been cleaned in recent memory.

-disrepair and dirty would be extreme and outlandish adjectives for our experiences.

Above, I am describing OUR experiences, most recently this past December.

We had a promenade room. There was a solid layer of dust and confetti on everything above ground level on the Promenade that would not be visible to those walking the promenade. Made us wonder what else hadn't been cleaned in recent memory.

Dust and confetti 20 feet over my head would not be that big a deal to me, unless I was an OCD clean-freak, which I am not. Do you actually think the crew would hoist cranes and ladders in the RP to clean the rafters after every parade? Jobs like that can be better addressed in dry dock.

With all due respect, you come off sounding pretty hard to please. I bring up the non-English speakers issue again, simply because I am sure that you are aware that cruising is an international past time--you could run across this "problem" on any cruise.

Happy cruising.

Above, I am describing OUR experiences, most recently this past December.

Dust and confetti 20 feet over my head would not be that big a deal to me, unless I was an OCD clean-freak, which I am not. Do you actually think the crew would hoist cranes and ladders in the RP to clean the rafters after every parade? Jobs like that can be better addressed in dry dock.

With all due respect, you come off sounding pretty hard to please. I bring up the non-English speakers issue again, simply because I am sure that you are aware that cruising is an international past time--you could run across this "problem" on any cruise.

Happy cruising.

Dust and confetti over your head that drops into your drink would be a big deal, I'll bet. I'm not saying it should be cleaned after every parade but the layer of dust suggests that it has been quite some time since anyone dealt with it. Are you saying that only needs to be addressed once every 5 years or so? Eww. And if that is not being cleaned on a regular basis, what else is not being cleaned? I am not "hard to please" but I am not an RCI cheerleader either. I am willing to report what our experience was. In our experience, we thought the ship was dirty.

As far as the inordinate number of non-English speakers, all I said was that it was something we were not prepared for. We did not expect half of the cruisers to be French Canadian. A "problem?" No. But not what we expected and it's something that would come into consideration when booking again. We like being able to communicate and make new friends. On XoS, this was a bit difficult at times.

We've been on EX 3 times in the last 2.5 years and are going again this Friday. Our last cruise was in Nov and we had a great time. Does the ship show a little wear? Yes, of course, it's not brand new. But, that didn't affect our wonderful times onboard at all. I'm not sure where the communication issues came in. We've met cruisers from many different countries and most are very friendly even if their first language isn't english (not that I care).

Just because they don't dust/clean the top of things that can only be seen from above does not mean the ship isn't being cleaned. It's constantly being cleaned just like every ship I've ever been on. Nothing in the photos you took are a big deal at all. Chipped paint, whoop de doo.

We met a french canadian couple in Nov in the CL. They said that they speak french exclusively at home and cruising gives them the opportunity to practice their english. We had wonderful conversations with them and at time, helped them with a word they were trying to come up with.

As far as the inordinate number of non-English speakers, all I said was that it was something we were not prepared for. We did not expect half of the cruisers to be French Canadian.

We live in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the entire country with over 160 different languages spoken.

Our immediate neighbors are from Croatia and Hungary. Our church is in Flushing, a hub of Taiwanese, Chinese and Koreans.

What a blessing!

We have learned that even if we don't speak the same language, we can communicate with a smile and a laugh. We have also learned not to take ourselves so seriously and expect that everyone be exactly like us.

I humbly suggest you look for experiences, cruising or otherwise, that will lead you and your husband to experience diverse cultures and beliefs. You will be all the better for it!

Talking to crew while aboard last month, it was pointed out that Explorer does more sea days in each cruise than most of the RCCL's ships as she does 2.5 sea days each way - that's 5 - 6 sea days per cruise while other ships may do only 1 - 2 sea days per cruise and have more port days. This causes more wear and tear on the ship and the crew works hard to keep up with it. During the winter months however they are limited when they can do many of the tasks outdoors. They don't do the painting of the hull or washing the salt water off the balcony or other outer areas when they have their port day in Bayonne. But they work hard while in the southern ports.

Does she show wear and tear - yes. But she also has some beautiful areas that have been rehab'd about 3 years ago. Would I skip a cruise on Explorer because she's old and has some worn area - absolutely not. You will still enjoy the cruise, the crew are phenomenally warm, caring and upbeat. go - enjoy

We live in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the entire country with over 160 different languages spoken.

Our immediate neighbors are from Croatia and Hungary. Our church is in Flushing, a hub of Taiwanese, Chinese and Koreans.

What a blessing!

We have learned that even if we don't speak the same language, we can communicate with a smile and a laugh. We have also learned not to take ourselves so seriously and expect that everyone be exactly like us.

I humbly suggest you look for experiences, cruising or otherwise, that will lead you and your husband to experience diverse cultures and beliefs. You will be all the better for it!

Bully for you. I live in Philadelphia. I have lived in other cities and states and **gasp** countries!! My experience was as I have reported above. Sorry if you think you are superior due to your own experiences.

What a blessing!

Nice stuff!

Teddie

Bully for you. I live in Philadelphia. I have lived in other cities and states and **gasp** countries!! My experience was as I have reported above. Sorry if you think you are superior due to your own experiences.

Look, to someone who loves cruising the Explorer, your comments seemed overly-negative, and your issue with non-English speakers frosted the cake. You came off sounding a little spoiled and narrow-minded, which I am sure you are not.

You must have expected some push back, which is what you are getting. Not cheer leading here-but providing a balance and a contrast to your own experience with my own on the very same ship.

Teddie

Look, to someone who loves cruising the Explorer, your comments seemed pretty negative, and your issue with non-English speakers frosted the cake. You came off sounding a little spoiled and narrow-minded, which I am sure you are not.

You must have expected some push back, which is what you are getting. Not cheer leading here-but providing a balance and a contrast to your own experience with my own on the very same ship.

Teddie

Blah blah blah. All good, cheerleader!

Sorry if you think you are superior due to your own experiences.

Not superior, by any means... just blessed to know folks who speak French, Italian, Korean, Spanish, Croatian, Czech, Taiwanese, Hungarian, Cantonese, Tagalog, etc..

Also blessed to know these folks accept me even though I don't speak their language!

Blah blah blah. All good, cheerleader!

There's nothing wrong with being a "cheerleader" when giving an honest evaluation!

There's something wrong with being a critic when it's based on nonsensical and prejudicial trivialities!

Um... for people on CC who ask about it? It took 30 seconds on the last day of the cruise. You act like I was going around looking for things that were wrong. That was, quite literally, me about to pack my camera going "hey, maybe a few quick shots around the stateroom can help someone on the boards." There are others but these are the ones that specifically address things that should be taken care of during drydock.

Royal C. has had a big push to attract international passengers and not only US passengers. Expect to see more non-US passengers on board throughout the fleet. With the exchange rate more favorable to non-US passengers, it is a "bargain" for them compared to sailing entirely in Europe where everything on board is priced in Euros. Sailings originating in Spain also have some type of tax added to all on-board purchases as well. They are also big on immersion sailings as well that are mostly tailored to the country they sail from.

For the non-US passengers, everything they buy on this side of the Atlantic is much cheaper including the drinks sold on board.

I too live in a very diverse neighborhood in Flushing, NY. If you are nice, you get nice back in return. Their pace is quicker than most passengers who do not live in NY...we tend to do everything quicker in NYC.

If you truly do not want to sail with non US passengers, RCCL is not the cruise line for you.

MARAPRINCE

Archived