Just back from Labadee...What an improvement

FLCruiseFan

I was in Labadee years ago before the pier and before many of the building were built and was not thrilled with the island. Wow what a difference time has made in the stop!

We were very surprised at how nice it was. We enjoyed the island and didnt even take any tours or excursions. Just hung out on the beach and checked the kids into the (on island) Adventure Ocean program, which they loved.

All in all a great time. If you have any general questions post them and I will try to help!

I read somewhere that one side of the island has rougher waters (beaches)_ than the other - did you find that to be true? Also I saw pictures of people floating on rafts - -does RCI provide them or do you have to rent them? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I would like as many specifics about the (on island) Adventure Ocean program that you can provide. We are taking our 7 year old on his first cruise and he is excited about Adventure Ocean onboard, but I didn't think about the program being available in (off-ship) Labadee.

I read somewhere that one side of the island has rougher waters (beaches)_ than the other - did you find that to be true?

That is correct. When you come ashore, the beaches that will be to your right are in a bay and therefore the waters are calm and good for swimming. Beaches to the left are on the Atlantic and therefore rougher (swimming is not allowed at the large beach on the left side, Adrenalin Beach, but it is good for quiet lounging and watching the zipliners).

I would like as many specifics about the (on island) Adventure Ocean program that you can provide. We are taking our 7 year old on his first cruise and he is excited about Adventure Ocean onboard, but I didn't think about the program being available in (off-ship) Labadee.

The Adventure Ocean staff go to the island and have a special area which is walled in on the beach where they play water games and build sand castles etc. We felt a little guilt about taking our kids there but they didn't want to leave. Our kids are 4&6 and had a blast in the program every day.

Having them on the island made our day even more enjoyable as we could lay on a lounge chair and actually close our eyes!

Have Fun!

Are you allowed to leave the port area and explore Haiti on your own? I read somewhere that you are not allowed.

You are not allowed to venture out on your own as Labadee is far removed from real Haiti. You would need transportation and the RCI area is fenced in etc. There are a couple of tours that leave the fenced in area but I know nothing about them.

Agreed...been there 4 times, the first two we had to tender...very time consuming and long lines at the end of the day.....the pier was the best improvement of all....followed by Barefoot Beach

going back in 135 days...

Edited by B-52

The Adventure Ocean staff go to the island and have a special area which is walled in on the beach where they play water games and build sand castles etc. We felt a little guilt about taking our kids there but they didn't want to leave. Our kids are 4&6 and had a blast in the program every day.

Having them on the island made our day even more enjoyable as we could lay on a lounge chair and actually close our eyes!

Have Fun!

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. Do you recall the name of the beach they use for AO?

• 6 months later...

I am leaving on Royal Carribean's Explorer of the Seas on Dec. 2, 2013. I need some information about Labadee. I am somewhat handicapped and use a walker. I went to Labadee several years ago while it was under construction. The ONLY mode of transportation on the island was a tram/trolley with VERY high steps for boarding. I was in much better shape then and still managed to injure my knee trying to board. If anyone has visited recently, can you tell me if there is any other mode of transportation on the island than is better suited to a handicapped person? If not, I will have to stay on the ship.

One other question please, is there a shuttle from the ship's pier to the island. That pier looks awfully long.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Janet

• 2 weeks later...
I am leaving on Royal Carribean's Explorer of the Seas on Dec. 2, 2013. I need some information about Labadee. I am somewhat handicapped and use a walker. I went to Labadee several years ago while it was under construction. The ONLY mode of transportation on the island was a tram/trolley with VERY high steps for boarding. I was in much better shape then and still managed to injure my knee trying to board. If anyone has visited recently, can you tell me if there is any other mode of transportation on the island than is better suited to a handicapped person? If not, I will have to stay on the ship.

One other question please, is there a shuttle from the ship's pier to the island. That pier looks awfully long.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Janet

I have seen wheelchairs with large wheels for negotiating the sand. They are usually pushed by ships personnel. I would check on that once you are on the ship.

Do you recall if any of the vendors sold coffee beans?

Save your money and time and buy the Blue Mountain coffee on Jamaica.......MMMMMMM

Very very tasty!

Have not seen any Haiti coffee' date=' mostly beer, crafts, and trinkets attached to pushy vendors:eek:[/size']

Enjoy

Save your money and time and buy the Blue Mountain coffee on Jamaica.......MMMMMMM

Very very tasty!

Have not seen any Haiti coffee, mostly beer, crafts, and trinkets attached to pushy vendors:eek:

Enjoy

I must be the only one who appreciates Haitian Art. It's one of the few unique items at Labadee. There is a whole section full of art. I find the art very moving and beautiful. Most other items (with some notable exceptions) are found in other ports - just with a different country name engraved into the wood.

I must be the only one who appreciates Haitian Art. It's one of the few unique items at Labadee. There is a whole section full of art. I find the art very moving and beautiful. Most other items (with some notable exceptions) are found in other ports - just with a different country name engraved into the wood.

Hello, Toddcan,

I just googled "Haitian art" and found some incredible pieces of art. I'd be interested to purchase some. But is it the kind of thing that you find in that port? Or rather, could you tell where I could examples of what those vendors sell? Thank you.

Hello, Toddcan,

I just googled "Haitian art" and found some incredible pieces of art. I'd be interested to purchase some. But is it the kind of thing that you find in that port? Or rather, could you tell where I could examples of what those vendors sell? Thank you.

Labadee has a 2 main market areas.

One is indoors, and is more low key. There is SOME art there, but not very much at all.

The other area are the outdoor huts/kiosks. There are dozens of them. However, in one area, you will find all of the art. It's a large area with approx 10-12 seperate vendors. All of the art pieces are nailed to crude supports and are not framed. When you buy one, they will take it off the stretcher frame, and roll it up for you. There are some world-renown Haitian artists - you wont find their work here. You will find paintings which are very "Haitian", and typically depict fantasy, or every-day life. Here are some samples of my favourite ones which are very close to the 9 pcs I have purchased (so far):

shapeimage_2.jpg

Haitian-art.jpg

pm3008.JPG

haitian.jpg

One is indoors, and is more low key. There is SOME art there, but not very much at all.

The other area are the outdoor huts/kiosks. There are dozens of them. However, in one area, you will find all of the art. It's a large area with approx 10-12 seperate vendors. All of the art pieces are nailed to crude supports and are not framed. When you buy one, they will take it off the stretcher frame, and roll it up for you. There are some world-renown Haitian artists - you wont find their work here. You will find paintings which are very "Haitian", and typically depict fantasy, or every-day life. Here are some samples of my favourite ones which are very close to the 9 pcs I have purchased (so far):

Thank you VERY MUCH! I love naive art anyway, and the Haitian style seems to be a wonder in itself. I'll definitely buy something. Now I'm even more excited about my trip! :D

Edited by ireneadler

Very very tasty!

Have not seen any Haiti coffee, mostly beer, crafts, and trinkets attached to pushy vendors:eek:

Enjoy

Hi Sue:

Is it possible to buy the Blue Mt. coffee and rum in the Falmouth shops?

Hi Sue:

Is it possible to buy the Blue Mt. coffee and rum in the Falmouth shops?

I really dont know about the rum in Falmouth, we bought it at duty free in cozumel (paid for it $$)

The coffee is right their at the dock, and let me tell you we really enjoyed the flavor. We brought some back as gifts.

It was pricey, but you know what, so is Dunkin Donuts, their is a Kiosk at the pier, close to Margarittaville that sells the fresh bagged coffee.

This year we want to try to find a place that sells the pure coffee beans and we will press ourselves.

Sea Ya

• 2 weeks later...

shapeimage_2.jpg

Haitian-art.jpg

pm3008.JPG

haitian.jpg

Do you happen to know which beach is closest to the outdoor huts?

The outdoor huts are between Nellie's Beach and Columbus Cove, I believe. We were in a Cabana on Nellies and walked to Columbus and then walked up into the market place. Everything on Labadee is close together. It only looks big on the maps. Sidewalks make the walking really easy.