Thinking of a change..convince me why RCCL over Carnival

As you can see by my signature, we've done more Royal than others but we tend to bounce around. We've never had a bad cruise including Carnival. I truly believe you need to try other lines and I do not agree that they are more alike than not. I think with Royal, the ships have a wow factor. Celebrity has great ships too but their wow factor is the food and service. Princess and Carnival never wowed us but they were good cruises too. Don't get stuck in the loyalty rut. By the way, Freedom of the Seas is one of the few we've had to go back for a second round. It's a good choice.

If you like Carnival, that's great. We had done 2 Royal Caribbean cruises and 1 Princess cruise before trying a Carnival cruise. We had a lot of fun on the Carnival cruise, and thought the service, food, and shows were very good. For me a lot of the activities - team contests involving dancing or who can yell the loudest, etc. were just very silly and didn't interest me. Also, I thought the upkeep and decor of the ship was a notch below the other lines. For me the fun activities on Royal Caribbean ships are a bit more "adult", the upkeep of the ships is impressive, and the decor is classier. The service is still fun and personal, but just a bit more professional (IMHO). I also agree that the layout of the ships is easier to navigate. We have done 3 RC cruises, really enjoyed them all, and look forward to our next one next winter. I think if you enjoy Carnival, you're very likely to enjoy Royal Caribbean, and afterward you can come back here and tell us what you thought.

If you like Carnival, that's great. We had done 2 Royal Caribbean cruises and 1 Princess cruise before trying a Carnival cruise. We had a lot of fun on the Carnival cruise, and thought the service, food, and shows were very good. For me a lot of the activities - team contests involving dancing or who can yell the loudest, etc. were just very silly and didn't interest me. Also, I thought the upkeep and decor of the ship was a notch below the other lines. For me the fun activities on Royal Caribbean ships are a bit more "adult", the upkeep of the ships is impressive, and the decor is classier. The service is still fun and personal, but just a bit more professional (IMHO). I also agree that the layout of the ships is easier to navigate. We have done 3 RC cruises, really enjoyed them all, and look forward to our next one next winter. I think if you enjoy Carnival, you're very likely to enjoy Royal Caribbean, and afterward you can come back here and tell us what you thought.

On my last Dream class they did a hairiest back. On this RCCL cruise they did a most handsome man which was basically college guys sticking their genitals in the face of seated college girls. Yeah, others have backed up that story. So it works both ways and on both lines. Maybe it was too cool that day for a wet tshirt contest but it wouldn't have been any more or less appropriate than what they did do. I guess you can rate that as more adult but neither contest were impressive.

I guess the bottom line is it can vary ship to ship remarkably. If you can get beyond the blingy décor of the Carnival line their ships are just as nice. Although I appreciate the beauty of the Promenade...it's a mall on the water. Carnival overcrowds their mall level and you end up having to walk around tables. At the same time I rarely buy anything on a ship so both the Promenade and mall levels are two areas we almost never visit and if they boarded them up and turned them into additional rooms it wouldn't change my trip one bit.

Others have said the bad experience we had on IoS has jaded my perception. Certainly it has. But that is what happens. When I was searching and saw the Inside Edition story last year on Royal Caribbean drinking and then read what the company President said...it all rang very hollow. The cruise we were on we saw all the same things Inside Edition reported and in fact the photos pretty much show that. In reality we got pretty much what they described in that story, so yes, it did jade me because after having a report like out after last Spring Break, I'd have thought if anything they'd have tightened up this year. I guess not! I bought into the "Royal is better" spiel that many are promoting here. That resulted in us not doing our homework in trusting the brand, and we got burned. Fun cruise but I can do without the drunken chanting on deck. If CCL serves me McDonalds hamburgers next time but keeps the drunken idiots in check that's a step up in my book.

As others have said, it's a matter of personal preference. The Freedom seems to have a better overall reputation and didn't have any of the issues we had. Perhaps after the refurb IoS will tighten up again.

\

:confused:

LOL, the Independence is less than two years older than Oasis.

Yep, shes a real old rusty bucket of bolts that ol gal is! :D

Roflmao! :D

Future Cruises:

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Bermuda/Caribbean-2013

Celebrity-Summit-Bermuda-2013

NCL-Norwegian Gem-Bahamas-2012

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean-2012

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Bermuda-2011

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Bermuda-2011

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean-2011

RCCL-Allure of the Seas-Labadee Extravaganza-2010

NCL-Norwegian Jewel-Bahamas-2010

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Bermuda/Bahamas-2010

NCL-Norwegian Jewel-New England & Canada-2009

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean-2009

HAL- Eurodam-NYC Introduction Cruise-2008

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Southern Caribbean-2008

RCCL-Radiance of the Seas-Hawaii Circle-2007

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Bermuda-2006

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Bermuda-2006

RCCL-Jewel of the Seas-Westbound Transatlantic-2005

RCCL-Voyager of the Seas-Western Caribbean-2004

RCCL-Serenade of the Seas-Canada-2003

On my last Dream class they did a hairiest back. On this RCCL cruise they did a most handsome man which was basically college guys sticking their genitals in the face of seated college girls. Yeah, others have backed up that story. So it works both ways and on both lines. Maybe it was too cool that day for a wet tshirt contest but it wouldn't have been any more or less appropriate than what they did do. I guess you can rate that as more adult but neither contest were impressive.

I guess the bottom line is it can vary ship to ship remarkably. If you can get beyond the blingy décor of the Carnival line their ships are just as nice. Although I appreciate the beauty of the Promenade...it's a mall on the water. Carnival overcrowds their mall level and you end up having to walk around tables. At the same time I rarely buy anything on a ship so both the Promenade and mall levels are two areas we almost never visit and if they boarded them up and turned them into additional rooms it wouldn't change my trip one bit.

Others have said the bad experience we had on IoS has jaded my perception. Certainly it has. But that is what happens. When I was searching and saw the Inside Edition story last year on Royal Caribbean drinking and then read what the company President said...it all rang very hollow. The cruise we were on we saw all the same things Inside Edition reported and in fact the photos pretty much show that. In reality we got pretty much what they described in that story, so yes, it did jade me because after having a report like out after last Spring Break, I'd have thought if anything they'd have tightened up this year. I guess not! I bought into the "Royal is better" spiel that many are promoting here. That resulted in us not doing our homework in trusting the brand, and we got burned. Fun cruise but I can do without the drunken chanting on deck. If CCL serves me McDonalds hamburgers next time but keeps the drunken idiots in check that's a step up in my book.

As others have said, it's a matter of personal preference. The Freedom seems to have a better overall reputation and didn't have any of the issues we had. Perhaps after the refurb IoS will tighten up again.

However, if you truly read the threads here and do your research you will find, as you did, that not all ships and not all times of the year are the same. Did you have a bad experience, I would say you did. Is it common on Royal, there I would say no.

Where I am having a bit of frustration is that you seem bent on dissing Royal over your one bad experience. The same can happen the other way. How do you think those on the Carnival ships having the difficulties over the past month have felt about Carnival?

You have said your peace, and the OP knows your feelings. Now time for them to get other opinions so that they can make up their minds.

Oh, and one other comment, we very much enjoy the pub on the promenade. Has nothing to do with shopping. Great place to listen to a guitarist at night while having a beverage and people watching. Works for us, YMMV, obviously.

I'm curious by what you mean when you say pampered? Having done both classes I really felt Carnival did a better job with the suites. What am I missing?

Totally agree on the party ship reputation. Royal was the one on national TV for being too rowdy last spring (which I saw that before we booked this year) and based on my experiences it's taken over as the party ship.

The funny part of all the comments about Carnival...by the time they're through upgrading all of the Carnival ships will have redundant power while only the 3 newest RCCL ships will. As the Allure fire showed last year, they're not immune either. IMO they've just been luckier so far.

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear there. I've never sailed in suite, so when I mention being "pampered" I only mean as far as regular service goes. Again, it's not that Royal has done anything over the top, but just little things like dishes being cleared sooner, better service in the dining room, great drink service by the pool, etc. For some reason, especially after our Dream cruise, we felt like something was just missing and there was no special feeling like we get with Royal. Hard to describe. I hope I can someday report back on suite amenities....someday :p

Do yourself a favor and try Celebrity. We just returned from our first cruise on Celebrity. It was the Reflection. It was one of the best cruises that I have taken. It has a slightly different feel than Royal but not in a bad way. It was not stuffy in the least. I noticed that guests adhere to the dress code more on Celebrity.

The crew and service was outstanding which is one area that I have found RCI to lead over some of the other lines. The ship was lively even in the evening. Something always going on. Of course just like every other cruise line, time of year and length of cruise will determine the passenger mix but we did not have an older crowd at all.

Even though it's highly subjective, I found the food to be overall better than RCI in every category. Entertainment was good but not as good as we have experienced on the Oasis or Allure but I don't think any other cruise line can live up to those two ships.

We decided to do another Celebrity cruise next year. We now have two cruise lines that meet our needs with Celebrity edging out RCI slightly due to less kids on board.:)

Thanks for the info....I really do want to try it. We are both 30, so I feel like we're falling in between the too old to drink/dance til 4am and too young for only an after dinner drink/show and off to bed by 11pm. We really aren't that much into shows, we really prefer just a good lounge singer!! We enjoy the pub singers on RC, we liked the piano player on the Dream (although the act was pretty much the same every night..) and we like comedians. We do venture into the dance clubs every now and again. Do you think Celebrity is still a good fit? We really don't even see many of the production shows. However, we will when we go back on the Oasis class. I guess I'm just nervous that we will be bored in the evening. Again, thanks for your opinion and advice. :)

edit to add....your pics are great!!!!

Thanks for the info....I really do want to try it. We are both 30, so I feel like we're falling in between the too old to drink/dance til 4am and too young for only an after dinner drink/show and off to bed by 11pm. We really aren't that much into shows, we really prefer just a good lounge singer!! We enjoy the pub singers on RC, we liked the piano player on the Dream (although the act was pretty much the same every night..) and we like comedians. We do venture into the dance clubs every now and again. Do you think Celebrity is still a good fit? We really don't even see many of the production shows. However, we will when we go back on the Oasis class. I guess I'm just nervous that we will be bored in the evening. Again, thanks for your opinion and advice. :)

edit to add....your pics are great!!!!

I would suggest trying the Silhouette or Reflection. Both operate the standard seven night Caribbean easter/western itineraries. There was plenty of things to do in the evening. Celebrity has added Sin City Comedy to the two ships that I just listed with more ships being added after. It's an adults only comedy show. From what you're describing, I do think that X would be a good fit. Again I think the time of year and length of cruise would important in your choice. :)

Glad you enjoyed the photos. Here is a link to my review that I posted.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1804784

I am only going on my 3rd cruise soon, and was in a similar situation. I didn't know what the difference was or which I'd like more.

I asked my cruise experienced friends. Royal. Carnival. Carnival. Royal.

We settled on Royal for our first. Then thought Carnival was worth the try. We did Serenade ots first out of San Juan.

Then we sailed the renovated Carnival Liberty.

Although we thouroughly enjoyed both, DW and I both agreed Royal was better...for us!

It's been said often and in this case it's very true:

"Your mileage may vary".

We are in our late fifties but have a much younger attitude. We enjoy a good party atmosphere. However, we found Royal to have a bit of sophistication not on Carnival.

My friends I would send on Royal, while my kids might prefer Carnival.

I said might.:D

However, if you truly read the threads here and do your research you will find, as you did, that not all ships and not all times of the year are the same. Did you have a bad experience, I would say you did. Is it common on Royal, there I would say no.

Where I am having a bit of frustration is that you seem bent on dissing Royal over your one bad experience. The same can happen the other way. How do you think those on the Carnival ships having the difficulties over the past month have felt about Carnival?

You have said your peace, and the OP knows your feelings. Now time for them to get other opinions so that they can make up their minds.

Oh, and one other comment, we very much enjoy the pub on the promenade. Has nothing to do with shopping. Great place to listen to a guitarist at night while having a beverage and people watching. Works for us, YMMV, obviously.

We lost water for I think 5 or so hours in the heart of the morning of the last day. If that was Carnival it'd be a front page story on the news. It happens.

Last year at this time Royal was on the news for people face down on video on their ships. The President of the company came out and said that wasn't how they operated. I never saw the original story. A year later we're on their ship and see pretty much the same thing. At least with Carnival they say they are fixing the problem and are actually doing something about it. That's probably what aggravated me the most, what we saw and photographed could probably fill another Inside Edition episode. A year ago the President promised this stuff wasn't what they were about...I'd argue what we saw ON their ship was far worse.

When this cruise line had the choice between tossing a mom and her daughter out of the pool for having a swim diaper on, or tossing 50 kids out of a hot tub chugging beers, hollering at women and using funnels they booted out the mom and the infant. As you say YMMV....ours certainly did. That's a credit to the kids area attendant for doing her job. Sadly she was about the only one on the pool deck making sure people followed the rules.

It all comes down to individual cruise experiences. I cannot unwind the clock and the 10k+ spent on this entire vacation. So, I share that experience with someone who asks the question of "why" when comparing lines.

There were a lot of shots taken at Carnival in this thread I figured it'd be at least fair to point out an actual experience from a recent cruise first hand.

BTW, yes I assume they roped off the pools early either because there was a water test issue (who'd have thought 50 people in a hot tub never leaving to go the bathroom may create water quality issues), or because they didn't want the kids back. Most nights they were all roped off long before sunset. I do not remember a single night that any pool was open 24/7 or hot tub outdoors or even close. On the last night they closed/locked the rotating door to get out onto the main deck. I still have no idea what that was about but they were cleaning at the time so we all assumed that was part of what was going on. Still though..really?

Enjoy your next cruise! We just booked our next one.

We lost water for I think 5 or so hours in the heart of the morning of the last day. If that was Carnival it'd be a front page story on the news. It happens.

Last year at this time Royal was on the news for people face down on video on their ships. The President of the company came out and said that wasn't how they operated. I never saw the original story. A year later we're on their ship and see pretty much the same thing. At least with Carnival they say they are fixing the problem and are actually doing something about it. That's probably what aggravated me the most, what we saw and photographed could probably fill another Inside Edition episode. A year ago the President promised this stuff wasn't what they were about...I'd argue what we saw ON their ship was far worse.

When this cruise line had the choice between tossing a mom and her daughter out of the pool for having a swim diaper on, or tossing 50 kids out of a hot tub chugging beers, hollering at women and using funnels they booted out the mom and the infant. As you say YMMV....ours certainly did. That's a credit to the kids area attendant for doing her job. Sadly she was about the only one on the pool deck making sure people followed the rules.

It all comes down to individual cruise experiences. I cannot unwind the clock and the 10k+ spent on this entire vacation. So, I share that experience with someone who asks the question of "why" when comparing lines.

There were a lot of shots taken at Carnival in this thread I figured it'd be at least fair to point out an actual experience from a recent cruise first hand.

BTW, yes I assume they roped off the pools early either because there was a water test issue (who'd have thought 50 people in a hot tub never leaving to go the bathroom may create water quality issues), or because they didn't want the kids back. Most nights they were all roped off long before sunset. I do not remember a single night that any pool was open 24/7 or hot tub outdoors or even close. On the last night they closed/locked the rotating door to get out onto the main deck. I still have no idea what that was about but they were cleaning at the time so we all assumed that was part of what was going on. Still though..really?

Enjoy your next cruise! We just booked our next one.

I've never seen any CC'er commit this many posts on so many different threads bashing one cruise...except maybe Ducklite. I hope you won't be offended if I ask if this is your only CC username? You registered on CC the day you returned from your cruise and have hammered Indy for week on several different threads while all the time defending Carnival. Strangely you said you've been cruising for 20 years. Your comments are like watching a snowball rolling down a mountain. More and more just seemed to have happened. I know I'll get slammed by some CC faithful for the question but I had to ask. Sorry.

I've never seen any CC'er commit this many posts on so many different threads bashing one cruise...except maybe Ducklite. I hope you won't be offended if I ask if this is your only CC username? You registered on CC the day you returned from your cruise and have hammered Indy for week on several different threads while all the time defending Carnival. Strangely you said you've been cruising for 20 years. Your comments are like watching a snowball rolling down a mountain. More and more just seemed to have happened. I know I'll get slammed by some CC faithful for the question but I had to ask. Sorry.

Actually Gregg, I noticed the same thing when I looked at his posting history. Sent red flags up for me. Don't care if I get flamed. It would not be the first time. :)

Guest maddycat
Royal's ships will get you back to the port on time and won't break down

Sorry, I just had to :D

My exact thoughts. Ship maintenance is a priority for RCI.

I have cruised with Carnival five times and have not been disappointed. I am taking my daughters on a Celebration cruise this summer to the Bahamas and know to go with no expectations.

Now I am looking for a fall cruise with my fiance' and am really considering going with RCCL and would like to know what to expect in relation to what I've experienced on Carnival. I know that RCCL costs a couple hundred dollars more on most 7 day cruises compared to Carnival. I'd appreciate honest opinions and observations from those who have cruised both lines and can tell me distinct differences in everything from food, to service, to entertainment, to cabins, to ships themselves.

Thanks in advance.

If you can afford it, book the Allure or Oasis. No other cruise line has anything that compares to those ships.

And will likely be the SAFEST and most seaworthy ships at sea once heads roll over all this.

Safe is just that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SAFE. Royal hasn't had to revamp things to make their ships safe, they ARE safe! When we return safely from our cruises I never compare which one was safer, how would you determine which ship is safest if none have issues?

We sailed on four Carnival cruises before trying Royal Caribbean. For us, the itinerary is our first priority.

But . . . I have to say, after trying Royal, we will not be going back to Carnival. For us, Royal is a much better experience.

OK, now I'm going to run for cover while the flaming begins. :D

I have cruised with Carnival five times and have not been disappointed. I am taking my daughters on a Celebration cruise this summer to the Bahamas and know to go with no expectations.

Now I am looking for a fall cruise with my fiance' and am really considering going with RCCL and would like to know what to expect in relation to what I've experienced on Carnival. I know that RCCL costs a couple hundred dollars more on most 7 day cruises compared to Carnival. I'd appreciate honest opinions and observations from those who have cruised both lines and can tell me distinct differences in everything from food, to service, to entertainment, to cabins, to ships themselves.

Thanks in advance.

I've been on nine Carnival cruises and eight Royal Caribbean cruises. I currently have one cruise booked with each.

In general the passenger mix is the same. Carnival has water slides, Royal Caribbean has rock claiming walls. In the past the food on Carnival has been slightly better than the food on Royal Caribbean. In general the service on Royal Caribbean is a little better than the service on Carnival.

Royal Caribbean has 22 ships. Ten of these ships (five Voyager class, three Freedom class and two Oasis class) have a lot more to offer than the others, including an ice rink, and a Flowrider (as surfing simulator - found on the five biggest ships - the three Freedom class and two Oasis class).

In general, the standard cabins on Carnival are bigger than the standard cabins on Royal Caribbean. Also, the showers on Carnival are bigger than the showers on Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean has better suites and offers more perks for its suite guests than Carnival does.

I have been on 1 RCCL and 2 carnival. I love my first cruise on RCCL I remember a lot about the entertainment, employees, and the rooms. Love it!! Went on a Carnival (pride) and loved it no complains, but I don't really remember the details like RCCL. My last cruise was on Carnival Dream, I guess they were having a bad week, 3 people in my family got food poisoning more than once! Employees were rude to you, entertainment put me to sleep, never once saw our stateroom attendant. Every meal I had was just okay nothing great or making me want seconds. I am biased because I am one who got food poisoning and I have a stomach of steal! wont be going a carnival for awhile at least.

Hope I helped. If I didn't have a bad experience I would be all for Carnival!

I recently booked another cruise on RCL after consulting with my family of a husband and 3 adult children 21,23, and 25. We have been on Carnival Norwegian and RCL, we all feel Royal has better food in the buffets, better entertainment (call me a prude but no g-stings during the family shows!) more to do on the days at sea depending what ship your on. So RCL won hands down!

I agree, the main difference IMHO is Royal caters more to the over 35 group. Carnival is more geared towards the under 35 group. That's not inclusive of either age category, but the lines tend to lean that way. I feel Royal is a bit more upscale. Their ships are better looking and the interiors are much more pleasing to the eye.

By the way we sailed Carnival on our first cruise. From then on we have sailed Royal. Prior to our first cruise on Royal we contacted the CDC and got a list of shots required before boarding. That way we avoided infecting the passengers and crew.

Going with the age given I would go Royal. Try the Oasis or Allure.

:rolleyes:

Royal's ships will get you back to the port on time and won't break down

Sorry, I just had to :D

Ummmmm ..... wait .... I seem to recall the Enchantment Of The Seas having some pretty serious propulsion issues a year or so ago ... they were only able to cruise along at like 8 kts or so .. and were cancelling ports all over the place trying to catch up and maintain some kind of schedule. And RCCL sailed it that way for a while before repairs were made.

Hmmmm ?? 'Member that ? "Sorry .. I just had to ..."

Archived