Thinking of a change..convince me why RCCL over Carnival

:rolleyes:

Ummmmm ..... wait .... I seem to recall the Enchantment Of The Seas having some pretty serious propulsion issues a year or so ago ... they were only able to cruise along at like 8 kts or so .. and were cancelling ports all over the place trying to catch up and maintain some kind of schedule. And RCCL sailed it that way for a while before repairs were made.

Hmmmm ?? 'Member that ? "Sorry .. I just had to ..."

Key point is it was over a year ago and isolated to one ship. I'm not trying to jump on the "bag on Carnival bandwagon" but you can't compare RCCL and Carnival maintenance issues.

Key point is it was over a year ago and isolated to one ship. I'm not trying to jump on the "bag on Carnival bandwagon" but you can't compare RCCL and Carnival maintenance issues.

No, the key point is it wasn't left adrift in the ocean. You're not very good at making your own argument. :D:D:D

Unlike many posting here I've done the Dream class and the Freedom class in the very recent past. Think months.

I found the lines for food on the Freedom class (Independence) to be cafeteria like. Breakfast and lunch always seemed to involve having to walk around for 5-10 minutes just to find a table at the busy times. Contrast that with the Dream class where you can get your food and go sit out on a table in the open air. Much harder to do on the IoS. We never rated real hash browns on the Royal cruise. We got the same potato puffs the kids get in school all week long at breakfast which was kind of funny. You won't find the same lines on the Oasis class as they've moved to multiple dining options as well.

The food. There's no difference. Both lines spend the same amount of money about $9.50 per diem. I've never had food I had to go to the bathroom to spit out in any prior cruise like I did the steak on the IoS last week. The fish was literally less than or equal the size of a credit card as the entrée - that's not a joke, it was that small most meals. The steak was equivalent to what you'd get at your chain restaurant but the chain would have at least cut the inedible portions prior to serving. The only thing memorable I ate all week was the seafood ceviche. Everything else was very forgettable but I think you know that going in. This isn't 1990s cruise line food. This is average restaurant food in a much nicer setting on both lines.

Entertainment. I saw no difference. The Once Upon A Time show was well done on the IoS. Everything else was forgettable. The ice show was nice and unique. But at the same time let's not forget it's a tiny ice surface and you're not seeing a performance anywhere near on par with what you'd see at your major show. Every female performer save one fell at least once at the show we were at, not complaining just saying. Disney on Ice this was not.

Noise. The steel drum band someone complained about I could do without. Play the DJ. The steel drum band was so loud you couldn't hold a conversation anywhere on the pool deck and they seemed incapable of turning it down. Music before was great, music after great. For some reason the band was 30-40% louder and it literally drove people off the deck.

The kids area was okay on Royal. I liked the hot tubs for kids. But they were often occupied by people that clearly had no kids which was creepy. Obviously they were escaping the college kids but really? You have dedicated adult areas, don't climb in and crowd out a bunch of 6 year olds.

MDR ambiance and overall ambiance. Let's be honest aside of the new Carnival Sunshine layout, Carnival was one step away from purple neon lights under their boats. I mean seriously, who thought bright red and green were good colors on the Dream class? IMO the one thing I really did like about Royal is I felt like I was in a nice hotel, not on an episode of **** My Cruise Ship. That said it doesn't bother me on Carnival because I think they do handle the masses better than Royal.

Surfing vs water slides. The water slides are up over the kids park not wasting much space. I was really surprised by how little the surfing thing was used. Normally just 5-8 people in line. It takes up a huge amount of space. To be honest we'd have used it more if it was another large pool, bar, hot tub area like on the Dream class. Yes we did both. The rock wall is a nice addition and in a good space.

Crowds. I get it, we were on a spring break booze cruise that RCL said they were no longer doing after last years TV expose. I kind of get that they cannot control who books a cruise. But the more I think about how little they did to quell the party atmosphere on deck, the more angry I get. I've NEVER had that experience on a Carnival ship including during break periods with up to 1600 "kids" on the boat. The more we talk with new friends on the ship and hear their stories the more we realize part of the problem here is you had to toss stuff off the ship to get in trouble. Otherwise abhorrent behavior was fine. That stinks. I saw the pool people yell at a woman because her kid had on a swim diaper just in case. They tossed her from an empty kids pool. Yet 100 feet away they're doing funnels and have 3 or 4 times the stated capacity in a hot tub and that is okay? Be consistent.

I like the layout better in terms of the promenade that is cool. Having to go down 6 decks to get food (or more) at times from the pool. Put a buffet of something out at the pool deck. The bars were redundant and often closed anyway. Turn one into a pizza buffet or something. I really felt like Royal wanted you OFF the pool decks at 6pm. First the bars started to close and then the ropes come out to keep you out of the pools that were finally empty out as the college kids drank themselves to sleep. Carnival they're serving food and drink until you leave pretty much. I like that. I felt like on Royal we were being herded all the time. On the last night you could not get out onto the pool deck to take in your last night under the stars. They'd stopped the rotating door on deck 11. If you really wanted to go on deck you had to go all the way downstairs out onto deck 4 or 5, I forget which. Really? I get it they were pressure washing for the next cruise but we weren't even at dinner yet!

Service: MDR main service was good to great. First night terrible that's the same on any cruise I've ever been on. Bar service was initially terrible. The bartenders were shellshocked from day 1 by the kids. Room stewards? We got animals for the kids 1 or 2 nights. On Carnival every single night. Maybe they spoiled us but I also think they did a better job picking up. We had no issues with things in the room not working on Carnival. Our safe never worked, doors were broken etc. The mattress was college quality with an egg crate on it in a suite. The room itself was I thought nicer than Carnival but not by much. I did like the balcony better on Royal but it was less private. The plastic sliders between are both opaque (people can see thru) and do nothing to cut down the noise.

Carnival is a little cheaper. Not much. We're pricing out our next cruise for April. I see about a $500-1k difference between the two lines for a larger suite. Based on my recent experience for what we do, there's no justification for it.

If you're thinking Oasis class, Carnival has nothing to compare. I'd find the volume of people to be overwhelming but some love it. They're great ships. The Freedom class to me left much to be desired compared to the Dream class and there was certainly nothing to justify the cost increase.

They're both very good lines. It's personal preference. I spent two hours the other day listening to a friend tell me how much better Volvo was than Ford. I hated to tell him at the end Volvo is owned by Ford. Same deal with the cruise ships. Individual preferences and individual experiences (our cruise was full of drunk college kids and had a crew going into dry dock in a few weeks..IMO that played a factor too) will vary. But there's not much difference between the two. The discussion back and forth here is basically the same as the people that will say Mercedes is better than Lexus or BMW than Audi. All personal preference really.

I never knew Volvo was owned by Ford!

First off, let me say thank you to those who have responded. Although I've sailed five times with Carnival and am sailing the Celebration Cruise Line "cheapo" cruise this summer, I'm by no means brand loyal. It's just always worked out that way that it's been Carnival.

Secondly, I'm 48 and the first two Carnival cruises were fun because I was in my 20's...last time fiance' and I went on the Elation there were a lot of kids and we spent most of our time on the adults only Serenity deck.

Obviously during Fall Break for schools there will be more kids on any line.

I am not a "typical" Carnival cruiser as referred to. I'm actually wanting to know and have learned from several responses that each line does one or the other thing better. But, I do tend to think we want to be more "pampered" and have a bit more laid back cruise rather than the party type atmosphere and perhaps a more age appropriate crowd as well.

Looking at the Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. I've found it for only $100 more than the Carnival Dream out of the same port. THinking will give it a try, but I am going to see if my Carnival PVP can get me a better deal first.....but something about RCCL just is very appealing.

Thanks for your clarification. Could you tell me something about this Celebration Line that you'll be sailing on during the summer? I've heard some things about them that kind of concern me. I remember getting something from them a couple of years ago in connection with a timeshare offer, and the reviews weren't stellar. You come across as a very sensible person, so possibly there's something you know about Celebration that I don't?

Are you serious? Infected with Carnival Cruisers?

You sure think highly of yourself don't you. :rolleyes: Wow...

If this is the mentality of RCCL cruisers, you just might get your wish. I think I'll stick with Carnival (or other cruise lines) where we can all infect each other with... well with whatever disease it is we have.

sounds like someone's sarcasm detector isn't properly tuned

Having read reviews over the years on Carnival and Royal Caribbean I knew that Royal Caribbean would fit my profile because I don't like the loud hip-hop music with 24 hour party scene. I love the shows on Royal and enjoy the nice staff members who are always there to help.

I doubt that I will go on a Carnival Cruise as I want to work up the ladder to Celebrity then to Azamara and possibly go to Cunard, Princess, Regent, Holland America etc. But for now I want to stay with Royal owned ships and hope after I go up in Crown and Anchor to switch to Azamara or Celebrity.

While I'm 28 I like the refined level of cruising. I have found that Royal offers enough luxuries already like the Solarium, the therapy pool in the fitness center on the Voyager Class ships. The Royal Promenade with Cafe Promenade is like going to a Seattle's Best Coffee shop at home. I usually drink the black coffee and every now and again will have a latte or an Irish coffee.

I see Royal Caribbean as more of an active ship with the rock climbing wall and ice skating rink. I loved the rock climbing wall and got my workout.

I guess it would be a downgrade to go to Carnival.

The decor, unfriendly staff, and the rude people are what drove us from Carnival. It just didn't fit with us. After taking our first RCCL cruise, we were both saying, "WOW!" And speaking of decor:

Carnival Valor:

CarnivalValorNov2006071.jpg

RCCL Majesty:

IMG_0163.jpg

Having been on both in the past 6 months I can tell you we will not return to Carnival unless Royal gets too pricey or we can not afford to fly and have to drive which means Texas. Royal is worth the $200 more per week. We saw a big difference in entertainment and atmosphere not to mention the classy ships. Royal just fits us better. Try it for yourself and decide.

I have cruised with Carnival five times and have not been disappointed. I am taking my daughters on a Celebration cruise this summer to the Bahamas and know to go with no expectations.

Now I am looking for a fall cruise with my fiance' and am really considering going with RCCL and would like to know what to expect in relation to what I've experienced on Carnival. I know that RCCL costs a couple hundred dollars more on most 7 day cruises compared to Carnival. I'd appreciate honest opinions and observations from those who have cruised both lines and can tell me distinct differences in everything from food, to service, to entertainment, to cabins, to ships themselves.

Thanks in advance.

Because you will get back under the ships own power.

If you enjoy fires on your ship, or being towed by tugboats, I would certainly suggest staying with Carnival. :D OK, I had to get the little jab in for fun. I have enjoyed several cruise lines over the years and I am not faithful to any particular line. Here are my serious opinions to your question:

What Carnival does better:

1. The rooms tend to be larger. I am sure their are exceptions, but the average balcony room is quite a few more square feet larger on Carnival.

2. Carnival throws a better party - If you are a late night bar/dance club person, Carnival is definitely the better option. They call themselves the Fun Ships and try to cater to that crowd.

3. Price - Carnival is cheaper no matter how you look at it.

What both lines do equally:

1. I think the food quality is pretty similar in the MDR on both ships. The buffet on RCCL is better though.

What RCCL does better:

1. The entertainment is much better on RCCL. Carnival has really cut back here. As I am sure you are aware, they no longer even have a steel drum band on their ships. The steel drum band is alive and well on RCCL. I personally think the quality of all the shows are better on RCCL.

2. Staff - Carnivals staff never seems to be very friendly, and often appear understaffed to me. I guess this opinion is more subjective in nature.

3. Maintenance - I joked about it above, but Carnival has clearly cut back on their maintenance to their ships and are having problems. Now they have increased their budget for this in 2013 from 200 million to almost 800 million, but it is going to take awhile to get those ships up to par again. I have no intention of sailing Carnival again for at least a year until their ships are fixed back up.

4. Atmosphere - Another subjective one here. I think RCCL is more family friendly, and the ships tend to be less crowded. It seems like I run into a wall of people wherever I am on a Carnival cruise, but RCCL always has quiet empty spots when I want to find one.

5. Decor - RCCL is much better. You will not have to see blinding neon for 7 days wherever you go.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I am sure other people have different opinions. Good luck with your choice.

I literally spit out my water from your first comment.

Very funny!

Actually Gregg, I noticed the same thing when I looked at his posting history. Sent red flags up for me. Don't care if I get flamed. It would not be the first time. :)

Yeah aside of the photos I posted and the stories that were recounted and backed up by other members. What's shocking is how many of you excuse the behavior that we saw. As bad as the people that defend Carnivals maintenance up to this point.

If the OP had good luck with Carnival there's really no need for a change unless they don't like neon.

Yeah aside of the photos I posted and the stories that were recounted and backed up by other members. What's shocking is how many of you excuse the behavior that we saw. As bad as the people that defend Carnivals maintenance up to this point.

If the OP had good luck with Carnival there's really no need for a change unless they don't like neon.

I think the only problem you had was the other people who were also on that cruise said it wasn't as big a deal as you say it was. I wasn't there so I would never dispute you on that.

Almost forgot, you didn't answer my question.

I have cruised 16 times with Carnival and have witnessed many of the same things that you listed on those very ships. That did not stop me from cruising Carnival. Finding a much better product did. Also, what is currently going on with Carnival at the moment is a heck of a lot more serious than some partying college age kids but I'm sure Carnival appreciates your trying to take the spotlight off of them. Enjoy your future cruises on Carnival.

Everything I said would be backed up by the ships security video right down to the chanting and funneling of beers in the pool with little kids around, parents, and other passengers. The funnel is in the original photo I posted anyway.

So much for improving on their image after the Inside Edition expose last year. Carnival is taking meaningful action to stop breaking down and if they don't they'll pay the price. Based on what I saw all the promises and denials about some Royal cruises being booze cruises......that's not what we saw a week ago. If I were a college kid or a TA looking to rake in the cash I'd be looking at next years itineraries to set up more of these booze cruises. It's a steal for a college student with the drinking package and the ability to book underage kids in with 21 year olds. Throw a bunch of kids in a van, send them to Ft Lauderdale and let rip. Just don't throw anything overboard but everything else goes.

I'm sure most Royal cruises are fine. By all accounts we drew the party ship booked out as a booze cruise for spring breakers by several agencies and that's a shame. It happens. The bigger shame is that Royal didn't see anything wrong with the same basic behavior they denied they were all about at this time last year on national TV.

Maybe Carnival hasn't had the issue with the drunks because they keep running out of booze when adrift with no power. Beats me!

If the OP changes lines expecting better food or a higher level of clientele they're operating under assumptions that changed years ago. These two lines are very similar and it comes down to preference. I enjoyed the IoS but I don't think I'd ever go back on it. There was nothing in that cruise that was memorable compared to other cruises we've done and too many things that were really a disappointment from what I expected with RCCL. To the OP your experiences may vary, but don't believe the hype, expect pretty much the same experience in a different setting. I'd stress "different" much more than "better" as there are some things you'll like more, others you may like less. The comments about people that go on Carnival and other lines are serious, there really are people that believe Royal is above the unwashed masses. Comical when you're vacationing with 3-5k strangers!

Unless of course you go for the Oasis or Allure, again in a class by themselves right now for mass market cruising.

Pretty obvious that opinions would skew more RC over Carnival on the RC boards. Still, most opinions have been decently objective.

I've been on three RC and one Carnival, and I doubt I'll ever do Carnival again. I was considering giving the new Breeze a shot but with all of these issues coming up...I dunno. I actually give a lot of credit to the Carnival cruisers who defend their line through thick and thin.

The biggest difference I noticed was ambiance and decor. There is a completely different feeling on each line. RC gives a little bit of a sense of niceness and luxury that Carnival just didn't have. Some people like that...some don't. RC is a quieter and slightly more relaxed feeling...well except for 70's night when everyone boogies. Carnival was definitely party all night...every night.

I just felt better about being on the RC ships versus the Carnival one. That is really what it comes down to.

The decor, unfriendly staff, and the rude people are what drove us from Carnival. It just didn't fit with us. After taking our first RCCL cruise, we were both saying, "WOW!" And speaking of decor:

Carnival Valor:

CarnivalValorNov2006071.jpg

RCCL Majesty:

IMG_0163.jpg

Majesty's floor looks FILTHY. You couldn't have come up with a better pic to prove your point ?

Pretty obvious that opinions would skew more RC over Carnival on the RC boards. Still, most opinions have been decently objective.

I've been on three RC and one Carnival, and I doubt I'll ever do Carnival again. I was considering giving the new Breeze a shot but with all of these issues coming up...I dunno. I actually give a lot of credit to the Carnival cruisers who defend their line through thick and thin.

The biggest difference I noticed was ambiance and decor. There is a completely different feeling on each line. RC gives a little bit of a sense of niceness and luxury that Carnival just didn't have. Some people like that...some don't. RC is a quieter and slightly more relaxed feeling...well except for 70's night when everyone boogies. Carnival was definitely party all night...every night.

I just felt better about being on the RC ships versus the Carnival one. That is really what it comes down to.

You haven't been on a CCL cruise in almost 6 years and the ship you did sail on was almost 5 years old at that time. A lot of things have changed from the age policies on through the party boat atmosphere. CCL is trying to clean things up a little bit in that regard while those passengers flock to RCCL. Lost in the back and forth is that unless RCCL does something about the stuff we saw the hoards will come to take advantage of the booze packages and apparent anything goes atmosphere. The same "royal is high end" thinking extends to parents that think they're buying their son or daughter a cruise on a prestigious line probably having no idea the atmosphere on deck can mirror the Inside Edition story.

It's like the pictures the other person posted that someone commented on. The RCCL floor is filthy. No focus on the fact that the CCL ship is cleaner. It's funny how people see what they want to see.

Royal will find the failures of CCL may cause them just as many problems. From what I witnessed there really is nothing in place to stop the nonsense. As some of those customers leave CCL they're going to end up on RCCL in addition to the college kids that spread the word about how much fun a trip on RCCL can be.

We sail both lines and have sailed on Carnival Dream six times and Freedom of the Seas four times. We are sailing on Freedom of the Seas again in January.

We sail in balconies and the balcony itself on Freedom is larger than the balcony on Dream. The cabins are basically the same size on both ships.

The decor on Carnival Dream is subdued compared to the usual Carnival decor. On Freedom the decor is not over the top nor glitzy as many Carnival ships are.

Service is better on Royal Caribbean although I have no complaints about Carnival Dream. We have had anytime dining on both lines and Royal makes the experience more like regular dining in that you are able to make reservations for dinner should you choose. We normally have dinner at 7PM so on a cruise, we prefer to have dinner at that time as well. We can make reservations for the entire week if we want to, whereas no reservations are available on Carnival and our experience has been that we have had some long waits but it's been usually because we have asked for the same servers nightly.

We haven't been on Freedom since the new menus have come out, but they sound a lot better than what Carnival is now serving. Any ship that serves ribs on the elegant/formal night has to know that's just wrong, lol. I am also not one who really likes the comfort food on Carnival as it just seems to me to be something I could get rather cheaply at home. I am talking meatloaf, fried chicken etc.

I love the Promenade on Freedom. It's just a nice area to go to relax, have a drink and people watch. There aren't lines all over the ship like there are on Dream. If you do anything at prime time, there is a long line.

We are paying the same price or a bit less for our balcony on Freedom in January than the same week on Carnival. So, not always are the prices higher on Royal Caribbean.

I'm sure you will enjoy Freedom should you try it. Good luck!

You haven't been on a CCL cruise in almost 6 years and the ship you did sail on was almost 5 years old at that time. A lot of things have changed from the age policies on through the party boat atmosphere. CCL is trying to clean things up a little bit in that regard while those passengers flock to RCCL. Lost in the back and forth is that unless RCCL does something about the stuff we saw the hoards will come to take advantage of the booze packages and apparent anything goes atmosphere. The same "royal is high end" thinking extends to parents that think they're buying their son or daughter a cruise on a prestigious line probably having no idea the atmosphere on deck can mirror the Inside Edition story.

It's like the pictures the other person posted that someone commented on. The RCCL floor is filthy. No focus on the fact that the CCL ship is cleaner. It's funny how people see what they want to see.

Royal will find the failures of CCL may cause them just as many problems. From what I witnessed there really is nothing in place to stop the nonsense. As some of those customers leave CCL they're going to end up on RCCL in addition to the college kids that spread the word about how much fun a trip on RCCL can be.

It is funny how people see what they want to see. I see someone grasping at straws to discredit RCI. Not working but keep trying. Why no posts from you on the Carnival board from such a big Carnival fan other than the one where you seem to know so much about the Oasis. Care to tell us how many times you have cruised Oasis? Did one of the previous poster have it right about the screen names? Care to answer? Also, just an FYI. RCI has never worried about Carnival and I doubt that they start now.;) this this will be my last post on this thread. Not sure that i'm buying half of what you posted as many on your same sailing had a totally different view of the same cruise. By the way, Carnival is not making these changes out of the goodness of their heart. they are in full survivor mode. one more mishap and they will be in serious trouble. Like I posted earlier, enjoy your future Carnival cruises.

It is funny how people see what they want to see. I see someone grasping at straws to discredit RCI. Not working but keep trying. Why no posts from you on the Carnival board from such a big Carnival fan other than the one where you seem to know so much about the Oasis. Care to tell us how many times you have cruised Oasis? Did one of the previous poster have it right about the screen names? Care to answer? Also, just an FYI. RCI has never worried about Carnival and I doubt that they start now.;) this this will be my last post on this thread. Not sure that i'm buying half of what you posted as many on your same sailing had a totally different view of the same cruise. Like I posted earlier, enjoy your future Carnival cruises.

Oh, boy. Sounds like a trap to me. Think very hard as to how you are going to articulate your answers. Having to remove your foot from your mouth is just going to be that much more difficult because you already have one foot in there............LMOA

It is funny how people see what they want to see. I see someone grasping at straws to discredit RCI. Not working but keep trying. Why no posts from you on the Carnival board from such a big Carnival fan other than the one where you seem to know so much about the Oasis. Care to tell us how many times you have cruised Oasis? Did one of the previous poster have it right about the screen names? Care to answer? Also, just an FYI. RCI has never worried about Carnival and I doubt that they start now.;) this this will be my last post on this thread. Not sure that i'm buying half of what you posted as many on your same sailing had a totally different view of the same cruise. By the way, Carnival is not making these changes out of the goodness of their heart. they are in full survivor mode. one more mishap and they will be in serious trouble. Like I posted earlier, enjoy your future Carnival cruises.

this is what all people who are getting their butt kicked in a thread say. :rolleyes:

Archived