What is the furthest you have driven to board a cruise ship?

wework2play

We are from Tucson and have gone on two cruises so far and getting ready for our third in May. We flew the first time to LA, drove the 2nd time to LA and will now be driving to Galveston for our third cruise. I love driving to get there, it's the coming back that kills me. But you can take so much more with you when you drive plus we like to start our vacation a couple days pre-cruise and it's so much easier with your own vehicle. We are taking two days to get to Galveston, 7 and1/2 hours each day. Will probably drive straight through on the way home.

Don't remember how many hours but AAA says it was 31 and 2094 miles from Denver to New Orleans via Brevard, NC. Downer was when we got to NOLA Hurricane IDA came through and we cancelled (a 4 day to Coz changed to a 3 day to nowhere :()

We drive from Granbury, TX to Galveston the day before the cruise. It usually takes 5 1/2 to 6 hours depending on the traffic and weather.

It's a nice drive down there, until you get to Houston:eek:, but once beyond Houston it's good.

my house to port of miami 3 hours

If it was a 3 hour drive to the port for me, I'd be cruising in April AND August. One of these days, I'll relocate close enough to a port to cruise whenever the urge strikes (and I'm certain it will strike often!).

We always drive!! From Chicago to ports in Florida and Galveston!! 10 days ago we were driving to Port canaveral to board the Carnival Dream when we got notified our cruise was canceled! We were at the Florida border.... So we turned around and drove home!!! That was a 1900 mile ride!! We leave this week for Galveston to board te Magic on Easter Sunday!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shenandoah Valley of VA straight through to Ft. Lauderdale! We've also driven to Tampa and Port Canaveral from the valley. This was accomplished with grown kids and their significant others, so there were plenty of us to share the driving responsibilities.

Atlanta to Miami. Did it with some friends in 2007, will do it with my wife for our cruise in a few weeks on April 20.

We are planning on leaving about 10 PM the night before and driving straight through and try to get to the port at 11 AM. Mapquest says 10 hours from our house, but we are adding extra just to be safe. My biggest concern with driving overnight is stopping at rest areas for bathroom breaks and finding 24 hour gas stations.

Anyone driven through the night before? Are 24 hour gas stations plentiful and rest area stops safe at night?

From Alberta, Canada and my husband and I plus our 2 teens are driving from Alberta to New Orleans (with stops in St Louis, Memphis, and 2 days prior to sailing in New Orleans) so it will take us 5 days to drive there with the stops :D

Looks like you are on the sailing before me.. Have fun and take good care of the ship for us.

To answer the OP's question- we drive from Central MO to NOLA which is about a 12 hour drive. On the way there, we spread it out over 2 days, stopping a little outside of Memphis area, since we have a 2 year old. And DH is doing all the driving. On the way home, DH drove us straight through after we got off the ship, we got home at 1 a.m. We will probably do the same thing again.

I'm curious to see the responses to this. We have made the crazy decision to drive about 20 hours to our cruise port next month. :eek:

We could still change our minds and fly, but we have always liked to drive to see the country. I'm excited, but just a little bit nervous as we are not as young as we used to be :p

I once flew from Cape Town to Sydney (I don't like flying, but there was no choice). I can't remember how long it took altogether - I interrupted in Singapore - but it was more than 20 hours.

Bon voyage! :cool:

We drive from southeast Missouri to New Orleans (used cruise out of Mobile). It's only about an 8 or 9 hour drive, but we always find things to do along the way. This time we are touring the locations where The Help was filmed!

Technically we will be driving 2400 miles LOL Hubby is military and we will be driving home to visit our family. (Flying costs more believe it or not when you factor kenneling our dog and car rental etc) We're taking a vacation within a vacation haha driving home to northwest Florida to drop our 1 and 2 year old off with grandma, then to port to cruise! We'll be on vacation for about a month because after the cruise we will spend the rest of the time visitng family. It should be an interesting 36 hour drive with a 1 year old, 2 year old, and a dog! LOL we'll so be ready for our cruise after that!

We will drive to Florida from NC in two days, but take one to get home. WHen the vacation is over, I'm ready to get home! That's anywhere from 9 hours to 15 depending on the port.

We do the same (except its from Missouri to NOLA). Truthfully, if we did it all in one day it would take about as long as flying, considering we live 2 hours (one way) from a major airport and its nearly impossible to find any direct flights these days.

I'm curious to see the responses to this. We have made the crazy decision to drive about 20 hours to our cruise port next month. :eek:

We could still change our minds and fly, but we have always liked to drive to see the country. I'm excited, but just a little bit nervous as we are not as young as we used to be :p

I will only drive as far as the closest airport to get to my cruise. Hours driving to vacation=hassle factor and defeats the purpose of getting away IMO.

I work too hard to spend my hard earned time off behind the wheel for hours. When I'm on vacation, I want to leave the driving to someone else. Just get me to the boat as fast as possible and get the fun started. LOL!

Archived