What is the furthest you have driven to board a cruise ship?

wework2play

just from Baltimore to NY. I would drive longer but flying is faster

As a practical matter, including getting to and from airports, checking in, clearing security and getting to the gate, it is quicker to drive between New York and Baltimore than to fly when you include all necessary elapsed time: door to port or vice versa. Sure, the flight time is minimal - but that's just one part of the total time requirement.

HAHA it's a 4 hr drive to my local airport! Got to love Nebraska!

We don't all have an airport in our backyard lol! We are an hour to the nearest airport, but 3 hrs plus a border crossing to the most economical. It certainly factors into the decision of whether to drive or fly.

However, we have discovered it is worth flying to Florida ;)

As a practical matter, including getting to and from airports, checking in, clearing security and getting to the gate, it is quicker to drive between New York and Baltimore than to fly when you include all necessary elapsed time: door to port or vice versa. Sure, the flight time is minimal - but that's just one part of the total time requirement.

nbt,

Excellent point!

This summer, we have a non-stop flight from ABQ to BWI -- we will spend the night at a BWI hotel and take the train into NYC. Planes, trains and automobiles -- it's all about making the process of travel as stress free and enjoyable as the vacation itself.:)

Enjoy!

Kel

At first I thought it was around 45 miles to the port of LA in San Pedro. But then I remembered we once cruised out of San Diego...so around 80 miles.

Some people love to drive long distances, I'm definitely not one of them. Four hours is the max time I want to spend in a car...with a stop @ the 2 hour mark. Anything longer is torture for me.

Agreed. That is why I specifically mentioned comparing total travel time point-to-point of flying vs. driving -- not just the actual driving time or flying time itself.

In figuring total driving time we include time lost on stops for food or bathroom breaks or just stretching our legs, refueling the car, possible traffic delays and parking, or picking up and returning a rental car, as well as cost of gas, wear on the car if it is our own, or rental car costs, and tolls along the way.

On long drives that take more than a day, there can also be costs for extra meals and overnight hotels.

But for those still working who have limited vacation time, a more important consideration may be loss of vacation time used up by the drive.

To many, the days of vacation time saved are far more valuable than the price of airline tickets.

Also, those who fly frequently on business often have extra airline miles to burn anyway, so the airline tickets cost them nothing, or very little.

The time that it takes to get to or from an airport and go through security can vary enormously from one location to another.

There are still airports in the USA where people are sitting at the departure gate ready to board the plane within an hour of walking out their front door.

As previously mentioned, it comes down to a matter of tradeoffs and we each determine our own priorities.

Glad to find one of the more congenial and intelligent threads on the Carnival forum:)

nbt,

Excellent point!

This summer, we have a non-stop flight from ABQ to BWI -- we will spend the night at a BWI hotel and take the train into NYC. Planes, trains and automobiles -- it's all about making the process of travel as stress free and enjoyable as the vacation itself.:)

Enjoy!

Kel

Wise decision. With great inter-modal connections at BWI. One thing to look out for is getting your luggage on the train - can be a hassle. But arriving in New York by train is incomparably easier than by air.

We have only flown twice ( for cruises) One was Hawaii and the other was Miami but a work thing that included airfare. We more often drive and currently do so from SW Missouri. We've done alot of road trips coast to coast as well. I really prefer the extra control that we have when we drive vs fly, not to mention money saved.

Only drive to San Diego or Port of Los Angeles, 90 minutes tops.

Lately we've been taking LA public transportation to Long Beach.

3 hours through the hotspots of LA- East LA, Watts, Compton, South Central.

I prefer to drive but DH's work schedule and his timing doesn't make it feasible. If I say we are leaving on Saturday I mean 6am, he thinks 11pm.:eek:

Another issue to add to the six-hours-driving-equals-one-flight rule is this: when you drive you can throw your things into whatever manner of carryons you wish. If you're bringing wine, if you have winter coats plus summer clothes, if you want to bring scuba gear- no problem if you're driving. I cruise with two suitcases and a couple of LL Bean canvas bags.

Driving- Before retirement about 1,050 miles each way...from Maryland to Miami. More recently 825 miles from Boynton Beach, FL to NOLA...and of course the cruise left the day before the Super Bowl (also in NOLA) and returned in the middle of Mardi Gras! How's that for good planning....

Flying - 27 hours from Miami to Sydney, Australia and 35 hours back from Auckland, New Zealand!

We drive from the Delaware Valley to NY or just recently to B'more which both are less than two hours. A few years ago we flew into Orlando, and then drove to Miami, which was the furthest. I'd never do that drive again as the driver on I-95 and the Florida Turnpike like to go less than the posted speed limits, especially in areas with a high percentage of retirees. No worries, no rush, I guess is their motto.

2hr drive from Newport, South Wales to Southampton. Anyone who wants to drive 12hrs+ must be mad...;-);-);-)

As the UK is pretty small to the US, I can't even imagine driving for some of the hours stated on here. The most I've driven is 5hrs from South Wales to Barrow-in-Furness on the north west coast of England near the border with Scotland. Been to Edinburgh twice, flew both times, would never consider driving it.

2hr drive from Newport, South Wales to Southampton. Anyone who wants to drive 12hrs+ must be mad...;-);-);-)

As the UK is pretty small to the US, I can't even imagine driving for some of the hours stated on here. The most I've driven is 5hrs from South Wales to Barrow-in-Furness on the north west coast of England near the border with Scotland. Been to Edinburgh twice, flew both times, would never consider driving it.

Well.... We have a culture of driving long distances, cheaper petrol, bigger cars, and by necessity have to drive longer. Flying is also a major pain. If four people need to get 8 hours away and it costs $60 in gas total and $200 each in airfare...

Well.... We have a culture of driving long distances, cheaper petrol, bigger cars, and by necessity have to drive longer. Flying is also a major pain. If four people need to get 8 hours away and it costs $60 in gas total and $200 each in airfare...

Is certainly not worth it if your time is worth $40 to $50 an hour.

Each.

Even though we like to take non-stop flights to areas close to our destination and drive the remaining distance, for the most part, we have a 250 mile drive limit. If it's more than 250 miles, we will fly! We will stretch that out if we can get a fast train over renting a car.

Like I stated before, we really try to make the process of travel as much fun as our destination.:)

Enjoy!

Kel

Archived