What is the furthest you have driven to board a cruise ship?

wework2play

I'm curious to see the responses to this. We have made the crazy decision to drive about 20 hours to our cruise port next month. :eek:

We could still change our minds and fly, but we have always liked to drive to see the country. I'm excited, but just a little bit nervous as we are not as young as we used to be :p

West MI to Miami....24 Hours.

Today we will drive four hours to the airport, then a 3 hour plane ride and then an hour ride to the hotel. Long day, but totally worth it! I wish we could drive to port and save on the expense of flying, but husband doesn't like long distance driving and it's a 20+ hour drive to port.

Drove from upstate SC to Ft lauderdale. Started at midnight, it took around 13-14 hours. 2 cars and 5 people :-/Napped in the car and boarded :-) This time a much shorter drive. & hours to Port Canaveral just me an my sis this time...come on June 8th

Cross country...Tampa Fl to Seattle WA. For some reason that summer airfare was more than the cruise fare!!! But I wouldnt do that again, next time I would bite the bullet and just fly.

I was not sure if anyone else had done this; my neice and her husband and 3 children drove from Western North Carolina to Vancouver, BC for their Alaska cruise. Her husband refuses to fly; after flying to Florida for their honeymoon, he said he would never get on a plane again. They made the trip to Vancouver an adventure. I would not want to do it though.

Wow, I don't know rather to be envious of some of you or glad I don't live as far away as you! I'm the one who is always up for a road trip (its so fun to see the sights and stop at neat little roadside stores and such), but my fiancé is "logical" and likes to factor in not just the distance and cost of gas, but also the wear and tear it will put on our vehicle. Boring! If we drive to Florida instead of fly, he'll likely make us rent a car. Which to me defeats to whole cost saving point of driving!

I've driven from NC to Mobile for the Carnival Holiday...that's probably the longest at 9 hours. Too bad port is gone, that was a fun drive (and great ship!!). Closest for us is Charleston at about 3.5 hours which we are doing Saturday. :-)

Twenty hours of drive-time plus stops for food, bathroom, stretching legs, and sleeping. With three kids, the youngest being four, but they're seasoned car travelers. DH and I made the time go faster with entertaining books on tape.

It was totally worth it for an affordable awesome cruise. The flight would have doubled our cost, with five tickets on a pricy route to Houston. We do plan to fly to a cruise someday, but that wasn't in our budget this time. I've already figured out that, to cruise from Miami, flying to Fort Lauderdale is much cheaper.

We dream of someday living less than twenty hours from a southern cruise port. We're a 12-hour drive from east coast ports.

We usually fly, but this year we are driving from Western New York to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise on the Freedom in May.

According to Google Maps it's 1350 miles and a little over 20 hrs. We drove to Orlando a few years back so the drive does not bother me.:)

Tim:cool:

We used to fly to Florida all the time but decided to try driving to our last trip out of Tampa. This time we're going to Miami and it will be about 23 hours or so. We plan to drive to Charlotte or Columbia on the first day which will be about 13 or 14 hours and then to Daytona for a couple of days from there. Then it's off to Miami for an overnight stay before our cruise. We'll be staying another week in central Florida at a friend's place after the cruise and then back home.icon9.gif We enjoyed the drive from Hamilton Ontario so much last time that I can't see us flying to Florida again unless it's just for a short visit. Going through the mountains with the views, seeing the sights along the way, watching the outside temperature climb with each passing hour, meeting some interesting people along the way, it all adds up to a nice way to travel as long as you have the time to do it.

1100-1200 miles here. We always drive from Ohio to Florida to cruise. For our trip on the Dream in May on a Sat. we will be leaving Thur. morning, overnight in Pooler Ga. then to Cape Canaveral VIA the A1A from Jacksonville. This will be our first time taking the A1A, usually drive I95 to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Love the drive and consider it part of our vacation.

Wife hates to fly, I love to but hate the process of actually getting on the plane. With luggage charges and weight restrictions we would just rather drive. The cost for 2 people to drive is a little less than airfare, and if we travel with another couple the cost is WAY cheaper.

We usually fly, but this year we are driving from Western New York to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise on the Freedom in May.

According to Google Maps it's 1350 miles and a little over 20 hrs. We drove to Orlando a few years back so the drive does not bother me.:)

Tim:cool:

That's us. Buffalo- FLL, straight through, 21 hours. It was HELLLLL but better than flying and easier than staying in a hotel. This is why we've sailed from NY, Boston, Charleston, Baltimore, and are about to sail from Port Liberty.

I drove 2,900 miles from northern Vermont to Long Beach, CA! With a two-year-old and a teenager. They should give you a ship on a stick just for that!

We do love a good road trip, though...

2900 MILES:eek:

WINNER WINNER chicken dinner. Thats a long way to drive for a cruise:)

In 2007 we drove from NY to Charleston, SC for a New Year's Eve cruise. We took 2 leisurely days to do it....stopping in VA on the first night. It was fun except for the major traffic around the beltway in Washington DC!

Avoid the beltway at all costs - drive through one 295 - the Baltimore Washington Parkway

We've driven to Charleston 2X from Cincinnati. It's a nice change of pace from flying and we usually do it in the fall when the leaves are changing. We stay a night down and a night back in the Smokies and the night before the cruise in Charleston. By the time were through, it probably costs just a little less than flying, so cost isn't an issue for us - just something fun to do and the big plus is, we avoid the hassles of flying.

13 Hours from Tulsa to NOLA. We typically stop in Lafayette (11 hrs) on the way down, then only 2 hrs into NOLA the next morning; this leaves us plenty of time to stop at Café Du Monde for Beignets before embarkation.

We made this trip over Christmas last year and stayed on in NOLA for New Years. With $200 roundtrip in gas, parking for 12 days ($87) and two nights at the Marriott Convention Center ($300); Round trip Air Fare would have been $850 plus transportation, add at least one night of lodging and we would have been looking at around $1000 if we had chosen to fly.

We have two bookings out of NOLA this year and have the same plans to drive.

Archived