Beauty Salon will not give Perms on board

serendipity1499

I have a friend with hair like the OP's, so I understand her need for a perm. I know about roller sets, because my mother gets them. They don't last unless you use tons of gel and hairspray. I had lots of perms in the 80's---from body perms to a modified curly look!! My hair is straight and takes time to style with hot rollers. I went a little crazy and bought a wig for our upcoming cruise---if I don't have time to fix my hair! I will probably feel to weird to wear it!

Matrix Opti: "delivers springier, firmer curls for extra volume and style support. Detects and self-adjusts to differences in hair porosity. Includes Anti-Frizz Neutralizer which defies humidity.. Recommended For: Normal, resistant and color-treated (up to 20 volume) hair".

Have I died and gone to heaven??? Thank for the tip about this brand. I used to perm just for body and did it myself with some very small self-gripping velco like rollers, instead of those awkward little clip rollers and papers. For as short amount of time this brand seems to need to process, it sounds like one can easily keep them all in place once rolled up without too much fuss. I learned to pull the little roller as close to the scalp as I could when first rolling them. (Disclaimer - personal experience story only - NOT a recommendation for anyone else.)

I won't even try to figure out why I read this thread since I don't have enough hair to perm or even comb, but...my DW discovered that the Steiner salons do not do gel nails either. She even took her own supplies after HAL Seattle assured her gel services were available on the Prinsendam. Wrong. Luckily, the tech knew what to do and had her own UV dryer [or whatever it is]. Since then, and for other reasons, DW is back to acrylics and has no problems.

They don't do gel nails, which I have done at home, but they do do acrylics, which go on over gel very well. Since the acrylics are very hard to file down my tech grumbles for a few visits after I get home until she finally gets rid of the last vestige of the acrylics. I have had acrylics done on every HAL cruise we have taken in the last several years. Earlier on, they were not available.

Just a thought but seeing you had the product and you had detailed, complete, typed directions, have watched your hair dressers do your perms for dozens of years, could you not do your own perm? In a pinch?

Oh No., that would be a disaster..:eek::eek:l I would have to purchase special rollers/papers then they have to be placed just right & you have to be sure they are close & the solutions hit them all... I don't even color my own hair any more..LOL thanks for the suggesrion though..

I have a friend with hair like the OP's, so I understand her need for a perm. I know about roller sets, because my mother gets them. They don't last unless you use tons of gel and hairspray. I had lots of perms in the 80's---from body perms to a modified curly look!! My hair is straight and takes time to style with hot rollers. I went a little crazy and bought a wig for our upcoming cruise---if I don't have time to fix my hair! I will probably feel to weird to wear it!

I used to take a full set of hot rollers when I went on vacation..Fortunately I didn't have to worry about weight since I worked for the Airlines..:eek::eek:

If we take another long cruise I just might buy a wig..I used to wear one in my 20's & 30's..;)

Thanks everyone..Take Care & stay well..

Happy Easter,:) Betty

Betty,

They sell small sets of hot rollers for travel. I used to travel with 2 sets, but now I make do with one. You can keep it in your carry on. I think it's about 6 inches long. If you use a lot of mousse/gel/strong hair spray, it should work.

Betty,

They sell small sets of hot rollers for travel. I used to travel with 2 sets, but now I make do with one. You can keep it in your carry on. I think it's about 6 inches long. If you use a lot of mousse/gel/strong hair spray, it should work.

Thanks Linda...I'll look into that too as using the curling Iron Is a pain..

Have a good eve & Holiday..Betty

I received a very nice e-mail from Steiner Management Services in Coral Gables Fla., which surprised me as I sent them an e-mail on their WEB site, assuming it was going to GB..

Their answer was:

Hello Ms. XXXXX

Thank you for your correspondence below and I regret to hear of your disappointment. Unfortunately we have not offered perms onboard for several years and do not carry the rollers or papers necessary to carry out the service. This decision was made due to lack of requests for perms and our limited inventory options due to the space constraints onboard. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused and have forwarded your concerns to the director of operations for further review. Thank you for your valuable feedback and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Kindest regards,

Unquote I really do understand the limited space & lack of requests..

But think they should review the policy & consider more extensive services on Grand & Grand World Cruises..

That was the only disappointment I experienced except for being confined to quarters :eek: in Valparaiso & again toward the end of our cruise for illness, but that could not be helped..LOL

In any event now have a perm from my own hairdresser & finally feel I can go out & not look so dowdy!..I feel better already..:):)

Cheers...Betty

To the OP, I completely understand your problem. For those with thick or curly hair you can't understand getting a perm if you've never needed one. There is no way I could survive without a perm. My hair is thin and stick straight. I still use a curling iron but my perm is to give me body. I do not look "out of style" as some have suggested and I doubt anyone would look at me and know I have a perm. As far as planning ahead, that's easy to do with a cruise that's a month or shorter. When you are on for more than 2 months it would be difficult. I also don't notice much of a smell with the perms they have now.

Thanks for posting the response. I can understand their position but it does make it difficult for those on long cruises.

Interesting discussion. I live in TN, and our hairdressers, regardless of age, have to be able to demonstrate their ability to do a perm in order to get a state license.

Roz

Their response makes sense. But equally, for the Grand and World Voyages couldnt they preplan and pre sell the service on the website like other "indulgences"?

Betty- I got a small hot roller/steamer set that steams one roller at a time. It takes up very little space, works quickly and is very light weight. It's made by Caruso. (Not sure if it would fit HAL policy for items- but if a curling iron does....)

All this talk of perms made me think about my mother giving Toni and Lilt perms to me (and my mother and grandmother to each other) as a child.

Watch this...

Lot's of "Hidden Body"...:D

B

Oh, my gosh. I remember them too - I think we're dating ourselves (I'll admit to being born in the '40's. :eek:

I just got my hair cut this morning for our cruise next week. I used to have relatively fine hair without much body - but things have changed over the years. The gray has more body so with a good cut it looks pretty good.

Oh, my gosh. I remember them too - I think we're dating ourselves (I'll admit to being born in the '40's. :eek:

I just got my hair cut this morning for our cruise next week. I used to have relatively fine hair without much body - but things have changed over the years. The gray has more body so with a good cut it looks pretty good.

I was born in the 50's, the commerical is from the early 60's. I remember getting perms around the time I started school.

You are right about the gray... A mind of it's own.

B

Their response makes sense. But equally, for the Grand and World Voyages couldnt they preplan and pre sell the service on the website like other "indulgences"?

Betty- I got a small hot roller/steamer set that steams one roller at a time. It takes up very little space, works quickly and is very light weight. It's made by Caruso. (Not sure if it would fit HAL policy for items- but if a curling iron does....)

Thanks I'll look into that..

All this talk of perms made me think about my mother giving Toni and Lilt perms to me (and my mother and grandmother to each other) as a child.

Watch this...

Lot's of "Hidden Body"...:D

B

Oh my that brought back fond memories..Before

Toni's & Lilt's I remember going to beauty parlors & having perms with rollers attached to big machines by wires..

When my favorite Aunt Betty came to dinner one night I was complaining about my fine straight hair..She told my DH a story about me & curlers..

The day before Easter when I was three or four Mom washed & set my hair in metal hair curlers..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360623768756

She had made me a new Easter outfit & bought me a new bonnet for Sunday School..When it was time to get ready for bed & take a bath Mom sent me upstairs to run the water while she answered the door..I wanted to show her that I was a big girl & could take my bath myself..I tried to get those rollers out of my hair but couldn't budge them..Instead I went into her sewing room & found her sewing scissors & cut them out..:o:eek:

I've been told that Mom cried for days!:(:(

Thanks for the Memories..

Cheers...Betty

Forgot to mention that the seller on e-bay claims this set of metal curlers is from the 1920's era.. :confused: However, I believe this is incorrect...My hair was set with this type of metal curlers in the 1940's.. I don't know anyone who could verify that these are from the 20's..

Two of the products on that e-bay listing are stamped Tip Top Products..Tip Tip Products actually took over the Ford Bldg in 1932 & made Hair products..the ceased operations in 1986..

Betty

Oh, the perm machine.

Then there's pin and spit curls. I dont imagine that would be a good option for long cruises. (i took a class in vintage styles from the 30's and 40's last year. It was taught by a couple of 30-something's and they were good. My mother wore those styles when she was a young woman and kept trying them on my hair when I was little. )

Oh, the perm machine.

Then there's pin and spit curls. I dont imagine that would be a good option for long cruises. (i took a class in vintage styles from the 30's and 40's last year. It was taught by a couple of 30-something's and they were good. My mother wore those styles when she was a young woman and kept trying them on my hair when I was little. )

Oh my! More memories :eek: I'm probably your Mom's age..When my Mom went in for her Perm, I had one too..In my teens I used the bobby pin & spit curl technique..Even slept all night with them in my hair..:D

When working in the Airline field, I had a hair budget & went to the Beauty Parlor once a week for a wash & a French twist..:eek:My first DH was a Portrait Painter & took a pic of me with the French twist in "Verona" Italy in the mid 60's..When we got home he painted my portrait as a Christmas present..

I used the frame from that portrait for another painting, which I bought in the 80's close to the Chinese border...My present DH recently found the original portrait & wants me to have it framed again..:D:D

Thanks for the Memories..:)Betty

Oh my! More memories :eek: I'm probably your Mom's age..When my Mom went in for her Perm, I had one too..In my teens I used the bobby pin & spit curl technique..Even slept all night with them in my hair..:D

Oh my, I remember getting stabbed at night with those!!! I also remember those huge macines with the hot rollers at the beauty salon... what torture.

I too have fine staright hair. I get a perm just before the cruise but on longer cruises it is gone before the end. I just have my hair trimmed short and forget it .... too much to do to worry about it. A new perm will be done when I get home. So I do sort of change appearances but then who really cares?! Gray haired grannie ladies can get by with alot when it comes to hair styles.

Susan

It won't be long before Toni Home Permanent kit smuggling threads start cropping up on these boards.

The "Home Perm" Police will start ratting out which twin has the Toni. :)

Oh my, you are so funny!:D

Oh my, I remember getting stabbed at night with those!!! I also remember those huge macines with the hot rollers at the beauty salon... what torture.

I too have fine staright hair. I get a perm just before the cruise but on longer cruises it is gone before the end. I just have my hair trimmed short and forget it .... too much to do to worry about it. A new perm will be done when I get home. So I do sort of change appearances but then who really cares?! Gray haired grannie ladies can get by with alot when it comes to hair styles.

Susan

Perhaps I should let my hair go gray, but I'm afraid that it will be mousy grey..:D I've been coloring it since my blond hair turned mousy brown (in my teens)

I forgot to thank you all for your suggestions & especially thank those of you who understood my predicament.. Even DH tells me when he thinks I need a perm!

Cheers..:)Betty

Oh my, you are so funny!:D

Perhaps I should let my hair go gray, but I'm afraid that it will be mousy grey..:D I've been coloring it since my blond hair turned mousy brown (in my teens)

I forgot to thank you all for your suggestions & especially thank those of you who understood my predicament.. Even DH tells me when he thinks I need a perm!

Cheers..:)Betty

My grandmother had the most beautiful snow white hair when she got older. Never a grey hair . She looked lovely.

My Mom and all her sisters had hoped there hair would turn the same as they aged .

NOPE all 4 went "mousy grey" . So they all went blonde *LOL*

My grandmother had the most beautiful snow white hair when she got older. Never a grey hair . She looked lovely.

My Mom and all her sisters had hoped there hair would turn the same as they aged .

NOPE all 4 went "mousy grey" . So they all went blonde *LOL*

Oh I understand this completely..My Aunt Betty's hair turned pure white with a little wave in her 30's..My Mom's was Mousy Grey & unfortunately I inherited Mom's mousy colored fine straight hair.. Therefore I too went blond..LOL

Cheers...Betty

Archived