Would it be a terrible idea to fly in the day of?

tominabox1

We've been on 4 cruises now and flown in the night before every time, usually we can't get there early enough. For our next one in September, we could get there pretty early (see below). As you know, the FLL airport is just 4 miles from the port so it'd be just a quick taxi ride to the port and jump right on the ship.

The documents say the ship (allure) leaves at 5 and we have to be on 90 min before.

Our choices include a 1.5 hour layover at Ohare arriving in FLL at 12:50 PM

Or a 40 minute layover in Atlanta and getting to FLL at 11:47 AM

I think the wise choice would be the Ohare flight due to the larger layover. The weather in September shouldn't be bad anywhere unless there's a hurricane, which will spoil the cruise anyway so I doubt we'll have any problems.

I'm the kind of guy who has regular dreams about missing the boat (literally) so maybe its not wise just for mental sanity reasons but still, it'd save us some money probably.

Opinions?

Honestly, I always fly in the day of. I catch an early morning flight out of New York's JFK. After 7 cruises I have not had a problem and always make it on board for lunch. People tell me that I am rolling the dice, but I haven't crapped out yet.

I'd take the earlier flight. You should be on board by 2:00 PM if all goes well.

A 40 minute layover in Atlanta IMO is not enough time. Had a flight for work with a 50 minute layover in Atlanta once and had to run through the airport and almost missed my connection. They were just getting ready to shut the doors. I think for Atlanta you need at least an hour.

We've been on 4 cruises now and flown in the night before every time, usually we can't get there early enough. For our next one in September, we could get there pretty early (see below). As you know, the FLL airport is just 4 miles from the port so it'd be just a quick taxi ride to the port and jump right on the ship.

The documents say the ship (allure) leaves at 5 and we have to be on 90 min before.

Our choices include a 1.5 hour layover at Ohare arriving in FLL at 12:50 PM

Or a 40 minute layover in Atlanta and getting to FLL at 11:47 AM

I think the wise choice would be the Ohare flight due to the larger layover. The weather in September shouldn't be bad anywhere unless there's a hurricane, which will spoil the cruise anyway so I doubt we'll have any problems.

I'm the kind of guy who has regular dreams about missing the boat (literally) so maybe its not wise just for mental sanity reasons but still, it'd save us some money probably.

Opinions?

I understand wanting to save money, but when you have connecting flights you can run the risk of something detaining you enroute. There could be mechanical issues that could make you miss your flight and the ship.

On the other hand, if you were able to book a non-stop flight then your exposure will be greatly reduced. Biut in reading your post it seems that this is not an option.

I usually look at arriving a day early as additional travel insurance and a way to enjoy the departure city.

Guest maddycat

If you don't want to fly in the day before, make sure that you have travel insurance. You might not have a hurricane but there still could be thunder storms which could delay or cancel flights.

I'd do it only if you can get a non-stop.

We've had reasonably priced hotels in FLL that time of year. Either Hampton Inn near the airport ~$100 per night. Plus you get to start your vacation early and go out to dinner! And be on the ship at noon!

I would only do it non-stop, and a very early morning flight. (We have to fly in the day of our cruise this time, and we got a 6am flight from JFK on JetBlue, which has two more flights after ours as back up, just in case of a problem.

connecting flights: Yikes!!! I have had a terrible experience both times I had connecting flights. Both times the plane sat on the tarmac for a long period of time. In Houston, we sat on the tarmac for over an hour. I missed my flight due to customs, etc. I had to fly on standby. Got on, but it was not fun. The second time we sat on the tarmac and had a connecting flight. We got on the flight and didn't even get to sit together.

I would not chance it. Atlanta is insane. O'Hare is busy, busy, busy. I would only do it if the gates were close ie in the same concourse.

Living in the midwest stinks...nobody flies direct! lol

Chances are we'll be able to find a hotel for real cheap with free transportation so its probably not worth it in the long run. Now if the prices would just come down on the flights... 475 pp is too much!

My one and only time coming through Atlanta was a nightmare. I was coming from overseas and transferring in Atlanta. Between the jigs and the reels, I missed my connection, and the Delta staff were the rudest people I ever came across. Despite having a through ticket, they refused to help me, and I ended up having to find a hotel in Atlanta for the night. Luckily I had planned to arrive a day early, so I still made the cruise, but I'll do practically anything to avoid Atlanta and Delta in the future.

I'm transferring through JFK this time, and getting in 2 days early, to be safe :)

We always fly in at least the day before as we have to do a transatlantic flight.

We would always err on the side of caution even if we were not 'across the pond.'

We have had various things delay our flights which resulted in missed connections in the US.

One time we were all on the plane, it pushed back from the gate, bang on time, then returned immediately for a medical emergency on board. The person had to be taken off, and their luggage removed. This meant we lost our 'slot' so we had to wait for take off. We missed our connection in Atlanta. Luckily we were put on the next available flight, but if we had been going on a cruise we would have missed it.

Another time we left on time, then half an hour into the flight the captain announced that we had a problem with the air conditioning. Seemed that parts of the plane were too hot, others too cold. After circling for a while, and speaking to technicians, he decided to return to the UK. Having turned round he then got advice from technicians back home and somehow was able to continue the flight without returning. However, this meant we had been in the air for longer than expected, so had insufficient fuel so we had to land at Washington, before reaching our final destination, Charlotte.

These are just two of the several flights which have been delayed. Of course we have had many flights which were not delayed in this way, but you never know. Wherever you have a connection you have two flights which must both go to plan.

It would be a whole lot more costly to miss the cruise so I would not want to fly in on the day unless I was taking a very early flight direct to the airport near the cruise port.

But of course many people swear by flying in on the day, and they have been lucky never to have been delayed.

As the says goes, 'You pays your money and you takes your choice.'

We live in Atlanta and still choose to fly or drive down the day before. There are so many variables that can affect your flight. It is so much more pleasant to arrive on the ship rested & fresh and ready to explore & enjoy...rather than exhausted from a long day of catching flights & hauling luggage around. For me, it is great waking up the morning of the cruise & knowing only a short taxi ride is between me & a wonderful vacation!

We ALWAYS fly in at least a day before the cruise.....BUT.....we got a great rate on a last minute cruise last Sept. It was only my hubby and I. Our flight options were non-stop the very early morning of the cruise for about $200 ea, OR fly in the night before, spend $100 on a hotel room, and flights were connecting for about $400 a piece. No-brainer right? WRONG. Our early morning,non-stop, cheap flight had mechanical issues. We stood in line, scrambled, called our TA, was offered a bus trip to Chicago to "maybe" catch the flight that would get us there in time.....or......ride it out and hope they get us another plane.

Most people headed from MKE to ORD via bus or car. We rode it out and left only a half hour late, but the immense stress that we endured deciding what to do was enough to say never again....no matter what the cost.

I'm curious...how do you know this? Not saying it's not true, but I was wondering if there's some statistics to back this up, or is it just your opinion?

Ah, you beat me to it. I'd like to see the stats as well. I'd never take a connecting flight the day of. Any sort of delay could happen. Besides me missing the connection I'd also be concerned about my luggage making it.

We too always fly in the day before. We have had trouble in Atlanta more than once. I would not discount the fact that it is hurricaine season as well and there are so many variables. Even though you have insurance you still have to make an effort to catch up with the ship and that could get real interesting as well as alot of extra stress when you are suppose to be on a vacation. It is well worth it to get a hotel the night before.

I'd never do it, especially going through Chicago - and I've been cruising for almost 30 years. It's just too risky, you never know what the travel delays are going to be, especially with O'hare. In the winter you could get a blizzard, the rest of the years thunderstorms and/or tornados - and that's not even getting into other types of service disruptions. The plane you're waiting for could be delayed, the plane you fly in on could be delayed. Don't chance it.

Oh and Atlanta is the busiest airport in the US... not enough time in case the flight you come in on is late. Also - it's hurricane season, that's not taking a small chance, that's Russian roulette.

You're also assuming there won't be any delays flying into FLL - again, it's hurricane season.

Lydia

ps. the ONLY way I would ever chance that is IF I ever did the airfare package the cruise line offered - then they're responsible for getting you to the ship if something goes wrong.

http://www.weather.com/activities/travel/businesstraveler/slideshow/flight_delays.html?page=10&scheme=image-horiz-plain.css

Super Storm Sandy...Mine was the last flight out. If I didn't fly a day earlier I would have missed my entire Australian cruise tour. While standing in the airport an announcement was made...no more flights out for 6 days.

Thunderstorms almost made me miss the ship another time.

I will now always fly down the day before.

Archived