Would it be a terrible idea to fly in the day of?

tominabox1

I guess I was hoping to see actual statistics.

http://www.cruising.org/sites/default/files/pressroom/2011EconomicStudies/EconStudy_Full_Report_2011.pdf

See pages 37-40 of the CLIA study entitiled "The Contribution of the North American Cruise Industry to the U.S. Economy in 2011"

Passengers arriving the day of the cruise outnumber passengers with overnight stays by about a 3 to 2 margin according to their study.

It doesn't differentiate between flying or driving to the port, but it's better than the anecdotal banter on the board.

I've done both. I try to fly in the night before, but sometimes schedules (work, etc) just don't work out that way. I've made my share of early morning connections in Atlanta. I find them a bit nerve-wracking (especially when you see the pilots start hauling out books in the cockpit because of a light). In the end, if you plan smart, you should be OK ... though again, you are at the mercy of weather and machines.

Good decision, however no one has posted how it works in real life. If you come in the day before the plane will never be late, if you come in the same day look out!

I think the difference is if the plane is late on the day before, you have more time to still get to the port. In fact, I'm willing to wager the plane could be 12-15 hours late (if not much more) and you STILL make the ship. However, if you're flying in the day of and you get delayed by 3-4 hours (maybe even less), you can wave to the cruise ship as it sails.

http://www.cruising.org/sites/default/files/pressroom/2011EconomicStudies/EconStudy_Full_Report_2011.pdf

See pages 37-40 of the CLIA study entitiled "The Contribution of the North American Cruise Industry to the U.S. Economy in 2011"

Passengers arriving the day of the cruise outnumber passengers with overnight stays by about a 3 to 2 margin according to their study.

It doesn't differentiate between flying or driving to the port, but it's better than the anecdotal banter on the board.

Thanks for the info.

I was going by what I was told and what I have seen.

The airports are a madhouse with cruise arrivals on the weekends..

A few years ago while we were waiting for our shuttle I wound up talking with a rep from HAL whom said that most of their passenger arrive that day.

Go to FFL or MIA on a Sat or Sun morning at the arrival area and you will see what I mean...

Of course, I don't have "official" numbers, but I think matj2000 isn't too far off.

I work for a major airline, and every single day we have to deal with people who choose to fly in the day of their cruise, and then decide to arrive to the airport a half hour before departure. Of course, when they miss their flight, it's always the airlines fault for "ruining their vacation"...

We used to have a Saturday morning nonstop to FLL, and when that flight had a mechanical delay, it always turned out that 90-95% of the passengers were cruising that afternoon.

I am planning a cruise from Venice to Barcelona in June 2014 and am researching airfare (open jaw flights from California to Venice, and Barcelona back to CA). My situation is that the cruise doesn't sail until 1am Monday night (technically Tuesday a.m.) and we could fly into Venice early Monday afternoon. I understand the "flying in the day of" risks discussed here, and as this is our first trip to Europe I am wondering if we should consider flying in Sunday instead and staying in a hotel overnight just to be safe. I am trying to focus on flights with only one stop (in Europe from SFO airport). But I don't know about passport checks, customs, etc. and how long that can take, not to mention possible flight delays in either San Fran. or in Europe. Does anyone have any advice?

We have so far always flown in the day before to FLL from STL. We will next year and the year after as well.

We booked a last minute cheap cruise in early May, and have to fly in the same day. We have the first available flight (non-stop shows up much later so we have a connection at Midway) and we get in before the shuttles are supposed to start running to Mexico.

The only reason I feel comfortable with this flight is (1)there are more available later in the day and (2) if we are delayed our insurance will pay the PVSA fine and we can join the ship the next day when it docks in San Diego for the day.

I am planning a cruise from Venice to Barcelona.....the cruise doesn't sail until 1am Monday night (technically Tuesday a.m.) and we could fly into Venice early Monday afternoon..... I am wondering if we should consider flying in Sunday instead and staying in a hotel overnight just to be safe. ..... Does anyone have any advice?

Advice? Yes- Fly in Sunday!

The only reason I feel comfortable with this flight is (1)there are more available later in the day and (2) if we are delayed our insurance will pay the PVSA fine and we can join the ship the next day when it docks in San Diego for the day.

You're well-informed on the risks and your options which is good! Have you checked with the cruise line about PVSA? Just because your trip insurance will pay for it doesn't mean the cruise line will allow it. Best to make sure.

You're well-informed on the risks and your options which is good! Have you checked with the cruise line about PVSA? Just because your trip insurance will pay for it doesn't mean the cruise line will allow it. Best to make sure.

I didn't, but if something happens we will deal with it. It was actually our TA who mentioned that option if we have air trouble for some reason.

I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and assume all will be well.

I didn't, but if something happens we will deal with it. It was actually our TA who mentioned that option if we have air trouble for some reason.

I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and assume all will be well.

We're all different but I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed when all it takes is a phone call to the cruise line. If they say there's absolutely no way they will board you, that changes the "risk equation". A few years back, I recall some people missed their ship in Vancouver and the cruiseline let them know they would not board them in Ketchitkan. I suspect PVSA violations may go on the cruiseline's record...sort of like a friend telling you to go ahead and speed and he will pay for your traffic ticket!

Let us know what they say if you call...I would *not* just presume it will be fine, unless your TA is absolutely certain or if missing the cruise entirely and being reimbursed later is an acceptable outcome.

We're all different but I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed when all it takes is a phone call to the cruise line. If they say there's absolutely no way they will board you, that changes the "risk equation". A few years back, I recall some people missed their ship in Vancouver and the cruiseline let them know they would not board them in Ketchitkan. I suspect PVSA violations may go on the cruiseline's record...sort of like a friend telling you to go ahead and speed and he will pay for your traffic ticket!

Let us know what they say if you call...I would *not* just presume it will be fine, unless your TA is absolutely certain or if missing the cruise entirely and being reimbursed later is an acceptable outcome.

I agree.

We had this situation a couple of years ago planning a 14 day round trip Alaska cruise from Seattle. We were only able to fly from east coast to Seattle on the day of embarkation, due to daughter being out of the country until the night before cruise embarkation.

When I asked HAL if we would be allowed to board in Ketchikan (1st port) if we each paid the PVSA fine, I was told in no uncertain terms that this would not be permitted. I was also unable to find travel insurance that would cover our lost cruise expenses if HAL denied us boarding due to PVSA or the fine even if HAL did let us board. The insurance companies did not cover these possibilities because they would involve either following a required law or breaking the law, respectively.

I was very glad to have investigated all of these possibilities several months in advance, as I finally figured out a solution. Two months before departure I requested, and received in writing, permission from HAL to disembark in Victoria, the 13th day of the cruise, if we missed embarkation in Seattle and needed to fly to Ketchikan for embarkation. With this documentation and with elimination of the PVSA problem, our travel insurance would have paid for additional expenses to reach Ketchikan.

Fortunately, I put none of this into action as our flighs into Seattle on embarkation day actually arrived by 9 am from the east coast, but at least I was prepared! I agree with kenish. Make sure you have a foolproof plan, and check with your insurance carrier directly to see whether they would cover your fine if the cruise line does allow embarkation and PVSA violation. I was unable to find an insurance company that would cover this situation.

• 5 months later...

When I took my first cruise in 2012 my Father did the arrangements with air to San Juan. When he told me we were arriving the same day as the cruise from San Francisco arriving SJU about 9:00 AM on the same day of the cruise I thought he was nuts as you should at least arrive a day before. But it turned out perfect. We departed San Francisco the night before at 10:00 PM and arrived Miami at 5:30 AM before leaving at 7:00 arriving at 9:00 AM.

We got the bus transfer from San Juan at 10:40 and were on at 11:30 so it was not bad.

This past cruise to New Orleans we spent 3 days before and that worked better as we left our hotel at 10:30 AM and were in line for lunch by 11:40 so it was perfect. Nice to feel relaxed knowing your cruise ship is only 2 miles away.

For the next cruise I have us arriving Sao Paulo 5 days before the cruise with the night before spent in Santos 4 miles away from the port . No point in rushing to the ship not knowing how the transportation goes. Much better to arrive Santos at noon the day before enjoy the beach and pool and get to the ship by 10:30 or so depending on when they open checkin.

All in all its fun going to a new port city and exploring it before. I found a flight arriving at 7:40 AM into Sao Paulo so we have a full day when we arrive to check in, shower rest and explore.

My last cruise was out of Copenhagen. I had a flight out of Minneapolis to O'Hare , then a direct flight to CPH.

I had a good amount of time for my connection ...but flights were all delayed out of MSP to ORD and we ended up almost missing our flight ...had an OJ run through the airport.

I fly through ORD frequently and delays are very common. Beware.

Archived