MONARCH OF THE SEAS MENUS FROM MAY 1994: memories from my first cruise

I stumbled upon some mementos from my first cruise on Monarch in May 1994 when doing some spring cleaning: breakfast, lunch and dinner menus.

As I was reading, I remember sampling my first escargot with the insistance of a tablemate who also told me to get extra dinner rolls for dipping in the garlic butter. This same tablemate introduced me to pate.

Each night at dinner was a different theme. I remember at Caribbean night, the servers danced with Flaming Babalu on their heads. On French night, the headwaiters cooked Cherries Jubilee so close to our table that I could feel the heat from the flaming liqueur.

I remember dressing up and spending big bucks on an updo and mani and pedi just for the Captain's gala dinner.

Breakfast menu:

img129_zps6e2ae148.jpg

img130_zpsb852d465.jpg

Lunch meus:

img131_zps8b9e779f.jpg

img133_zps2cb0d69f.jpg

img134_zps0984c5f9.jpg

Dinner, not only did each night have a special theme, the waiters did some little dance or song each night and the dinning room roared with applause, cheering and laughter. Soft drinks were included at dinner with no extra charge at that time. When I wanted hot tea, instead of coffee, the assistant waiter brought a large wooden box filled with specialty teas to me to choose from. The string trio went to tables and asked for requests. My dad always requested "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago. Dinner was definitely more of an entertainment.

Dinner:

img104_zpse294dae3.jpg

img105_zpsb21485dc.jpg

Wow ... this is fantastic .. thank you so much for finding and posting these!

How times have changed in under 10 years! Some of the things that caught my eye (that sadly we wouldn't see today in the MDR ) are things like:

Tomatoes Rockefeller (whatever that was, but it sounds fancy!); Pear Belle Helene; Crabmeat Neptune Canneloni; Stuffed Veal Cutlet

Very cool!

Wow ... this is fantastic .. thank you so much for finding and posting these!

How times have changed in under 10 years! Some of the things that caught my eye (that sadly we wouldn't see today in the MDR ) are things like:

Tomatoes Rockefeller (whatever that was, but it sounds fancy!); Pear Belle Helene; Crabmeat Neptune Canneloni; Stuffed Veal Cutlet

Very cool!

I was overwhelmed by all the foods I had never heard of. I was adventurous and tried all new dishes. I am glad I did, even the ones that were not to my liking :eek:

I was overwhelmed by all the foods I had never heard of. I was adventurous and tried all new dishes. I am glad I did, even the ones that were not to my liking :eek:

Heck, I'm overwhelmed right now reading all those amazing dishes! And I applaud you for being adventurous and trying new things ... I do the same thing - especially while on vacation and it usually pays off .. usually! :eek::p

I stumbled upon some mementos from my first cruise on Monarch in May 1994 when doing some spring cleaning: breakfast, lunch and dinner menus.

Each night at dinner was a different theme. I remember at Caribbean night, the servers danced with Flaming Babalu on their heads. On French night, the headwaiters cooked Cherries Jubilee so close to our table that I could feel the heat from the flaming liqueur.

Thanks so much for posting. My first cruse was 1995 on Majesty. I LOVED the theme nights! Waiters had tie/cummerbund to match theme. That was my only cruise w/ the theme and I have missed it every cruise since.

Blast from the past! Times have changed, you can see that back then dinner menus had an appetizer, soup, salad and entree section. Today most mass market cruise lines like RCI lump the appetizer, soup, and salad into one category called "starters". I think they did this so that people order less. Back in the day, when I started cruising we used to order a selection from each category. Today by combining categories on the menu people are more apt to choose one thing or possibly two. Of course it is better to order less there is too much food even today. But I am sure this was done as a cost cutting measure. I do remember the soda included at dinner on RCI. When I sailed the Sovereign back in 2000 soda was still included at dinner. I am not a huge soda drinker but it was a nice touch. Things where different back then and I know people will argue on here with me how we are better off today. And we are better off today in some aspects - we have unbelievable ships sailing today with amenities one could not envision back in 1994. But to get what we have today we gave up the hominess and the "upscale" feel cruises once conveyed. Cruising on the mass market lines today still have an "upscale" feel but something small is missing to me. Nevertheless, I am happy to be cruising but I do notice a difference. Not complaining just observing. Thanks for this post!

Gosh, they had good food back then (1992 Viking Serenade). The filets were every bit as good as Chops or Portofino, the lobster tails were huge...and it was in the main dining room.

We enjoy cruising as much, but the food was so good back then for an indulgent vacation! :)

Archived