Visa requirements in South America

Bearcat1946

I am going on the 49-night cruise around South America next February 15-April 5. I know that I have to get a visa for Brazil (at the ridiculous price of $160) but if going into Argentina by ship, are we required to get a visa? I understand that a visa is required if you land by air, but I have been told that no visa is required if you are on a cruise ship. Does anyone know the definitive answer for this?

I am going on the 49-night cruise around South America next February 15-April 5. I know that I have to get a visa for Brazil (at the ridiculous price of $160) but if going into Argentina by ship, are we required to get a visa? I understand that a visa is required if you land by air, but I have been told that no visa is required if you are on a cruise ship. Does anyone know the definitive answer for this?

We did the 49 cruise this year on the Grand. You're going to love this cruise!! No visa required for Argentina, just Brazil.

We did this cruise last year...no Argentine visa, yes for Brazil, but we could not leave the Santiago, Chile airport til we paid a fee...not a visa, but an entrance fee which was only good for the life of our passports, which expired 8 months later...so that is a possibility for you. Have $100/pp ready for that just in case. We flew into Santiago from Buenas Aures to catch our ship...

I believe that Argentina is changing their entry requirements in June, 2013. Starting then cruise ship passenger will also have to pay the admission fee. I think it is $160 per person for US passport holders. The amount for Argentina and Brazil is the amount their citizens are charged to go to the US.

In addition to a visa for Brazil, you will need to pay a Reciprocity fee for Argentina. From 1st July this year it applies to cruise ship passengers in addition to people arriving by air. This fee only applies to certain nationalities (USA, Canada and Australia, but there might be others).

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1130.html

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: A valid passport is required for U.S. citizens to enter Argentina. U.S. citizens do not need a visa for visits of up to 90 days for tourism or business. As a result of a recent change in Argentine law, prior to arrival in Argentina at any entry point, U.S. citizen tourist and business travelers must pay a $160 reciprocity fee by credit card online at the Provincia Pagos website . Once paid, you must print out the receipt and present it to the Argentine immigration officer at the time of entry.The fee is valid for ten years from the date of payment and multiple entries. Until June 30, 2013, passengers on cruise lines entering the country are exempt from paying the fee. The fee applies only to bearers of tourist passports. Travelers bearing diplomatic or official passports are required to get visas prior to arrival in Argentina but are not charged the reciprocity fee, nor are travelers transiting and not entering Argentina.

We did this cruise last year...no Argentine visa, yes for Brazil, but we could not leave the Santiago, Chile airport til we paid a fee...not a visa, but an entrance fee which was only good for the life of our passports, which expired 8 months later...so that is a possibility for you. Have $100/pp ready for that just in case. We flew into Santiago from Buenas Aures to catch our ship...
That's only if you fly into Santiago. If you arrive by ship, you don't pay that fee.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1130.html

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: A valid passport is required for U.S. citizens to enter Argentina. U.S. citizens do not need a visa for visits of up to 90 days for tourism or business. As a result of a recent change in Argentine law, prior to arrival in Argentina at any entry point, U.S. citizen tourist and business travelers must pay a $160 reciprocity fee by credit card online at the Provincia Pagos website . Once paid, you must print out the receipt and present it to the Argentine immigration officer at the time of entry.The fee is valid for ten years from the date of payment and multiple entries. Until June 30, 2013, passengers on cruise lines entering the country are exempt from paying the fee. The fee applies only to bearers of tourist passports. Travelers bearing diplomatic or official passports are required to get visas prior to arrival in Argentina but are not charged the reciprocity fee, nor are travelers transiting and not entering Argentina.

I just checked out that site and it is all in Spanish. I do not speak Spanish. Any ideas?

In addition to a visa for Brazil, you will need to pay a Reciprocity fee for Argentina. From 1st July this year it applies to cruise ship passengers in addition to people arriving by air. This fee only applies to certain nationalities (USA, Canada and Australia, but there might be others).

Don't you believe me??? I assure you I am correct with my information. You can easily see on the website how much each nationality has to pay for their Reciprocity fee.

I just checked out that site and it is all in Spanish. I do not speak Spanish. Any ideas?

I clicked on it again & the site is in English for me so I don't know what the problem could be to cause it to be in Spanish for you when it's the US State Department. :confused:

Actually on your posting there are two sites, one in English, and the other (the one needed to pay for the reciprocity fee) is in Spanish. I went to that site "provincia pagos" and was very confused until the nice lady told me to follow the arrow and the American flag in the upper right hand corner. (Actually you have to go two pages, then sign up for a name/password, and then fill out a form).

In any case I did what I think is correct, paid the $160 reciprocity fee, and printed out the page. Hopefully all is now well.

Has anyone asked Princess about the need for the reciprocity fee for Argentina when arriving on a Princess ship?

It isn't up to Princess, it is up to the Argentinian government who say it will apply to cruiseship passengers from 1st July 2013.

Sorry to say, but I wouldn't place much weight on the advice from Princess. We were on the 49 night South American cruise (January-March 2013) from Fort Lauderdale and Princess put a note on our Personaliser to the effect that we had to pay the Reciprocity fee. They didn't bother to look at our booking to see that we were arriving by ship and, up until 30th June 2013, the fee only applies to people arriving by air at the International terminal. Even though Princess confirmed to our TA while we were on the ship that we had to pay the fee, we checked with other passengers and found out that those who booked the cruise in three separate segments were told they had to pay the fee, but those who booked the 49 nights as one cruise, didn't. We just figured Princess had made a mistake (as they did when they instructed us to have Yellow Fever shots) and decided to wait. We did not have to pay the fee. :)

Has anyone asked Princess about the need for the reciprocity fee for Argentina when arriving on a Princess ship?

I haven't contacted them because I have no faith in getting an accurate answer from them since our recently booked SA cruise for next March has incorrect info in our Cruise Personlizer. I trust the info that I shared in post #6 from the US State Dept more than anything that Princess would tell me.

The State Dept says "Until June 30, 2013, passengers on cruise lines entering the country are exempt from paying the fee". So based on their statement, even cruise passengers are required to pay the fee effective July 1, 2013.

I haven't contacted them because I have no faith in getting an accurate answer from them.

Princess knows that you muct have a visa for Brazil and they will not allow you to board a ship headed there unless you show them that visa.

I assume they would also not let you board a ship that goes to Argentina if a visa was required, so they should know the requirements under which they would not let you board the ship.

Princess knows that you muct have a visa for Brazil and they will not allow you to board a ship headed there unless you show them that visa.

I assume they would also not let you board a ship that goes to Argentina if a visa was required, so they should know the requirements under which they would not let you board the ship.

No visa is required but the reciprocity fee of $160 is required however the Princess info for our cruise is wrong. We embarked in Buenos Aires after July 1, 2013 so we have to pay this fee in advance & bring proof of payment.

People cruising into Argentina could conceivably pay the online fee while already onboard. Whether Princess adds this requirement to the important notices or whether they do/do not implement a requirement for payment of the fee prior to boarding the ship remains to be seen.

I just had this conversation with our travel agent, last week. She checked with Princess. The travel agent response was that she didn't know. The Princess response was that if it is required, it will appear in the cruise personalizer (where the requirement for Chile already appears). So, I would guess they are waiting for the July 1 date before they post...but it's only a guess.

If it weren't for CC, I'd be so confused!

Archived