Carnival Ship Fails CDC Inspection

LauraS

It's been pretty amazing, since all these incidents have started, everyone from CNN, Fox, NBC, Cruise Critic, Bush, and the Vikings being blamed, and other incidents on other lines being brought up to level the playing field in an attempt to make Carnival look better. (HUH?)

But one fact remains on this thread. The Fascination failed it's CDC inspection. Period.

agreed

It is truly bizarre

But one fact remains on this thread. The Fascination failed it's CDC inspection. Period.

It is also just that simple, it happened, it has happened to other lines and it will happen again due to the human factor. Does not make it right, but it does happen. Frankly, I wish that resturants, bars and hotels were held to the same standard as regularly as the cruise lines appear to be.

It is also just that simple, it happened, it has happened to other lines and it will happen again due to the human factor. Does not make it right, but it does happen. Frankly, I wish that resturants, bars and hotels were held to the same standard as regularly as the cruise lines appear to be.

If a restaurant served as many meals/customers a day, maybe they would. Although I don't want them spending that many tax dollars, I wouldn't mind if they inspected them everytime that they docked. As for domestic restaurants, my DD runs a corporate one (name withheld) and their internal inspector is much tougher than the government inspector and the results affect her pay.

I find it interesting that Laura posts a sticky for Carnival, yet no sticky on Princess or Celebrity which has 2 ships that failed. :eek:

This isn't a sticky...just a plain old thread.

SIGH.

Scroll back up.

Read more posts.

Laura, I have gained much more confidence and respect for you. As for the obvious Carnival huggers and cheerleaders, some of you need to apologize to Laura for your false accusations...

Hi Everyone! I hope you don't mind me posting over here. I normally sail X but also check the other boards since I love looking at the photo reviews.

Anyway, there has been several discussions on this on the X board since they have had two ships fail. The Carnival ship makes 5 total now to fail recent inspections. For anyone who may be interested here they are - 1, 2, 3, and 4!

Hi Everyone! I hope you don't mind me posting over here. I normally sail X but also check the other boards since I love looking at the photo reviews.

Anyway, there has been several discussions on this on the X board since they have had two ships fail. The Carnival ship makes 5 total now to fail recent inspections. For anyone who may be interested here they are - 1, 2, 3, and 4!

Thx for posting...will check these out.

A qucik thoguht...sailing on the dream in a few weeks. IMO, I think its the best time to cruise...you figure after all of the recent scrutiny CCL would have their act together and 1) the ships would all be in proper working order and 2) be clean....

This is the first I've seen of this thread. All I can say is that I am relieved by this finding on the ship. I think I have good reason to be relieved.

Most of the many items listed are things that could lead to contamination. BUT I did not see any items that there was contamination. Other than the few flies and roach nymph, there were mostly maintenance items and a little confusion on storing things. But nothing that would make me worry too much. The fact that these pre-cursors to real contamination were found and are part of these inspections should really put everyone at ease. It shows that the standards are high and the risk is low. I'm happy with it.

This is the first I've seen of this thread. All I can say is that I am relieved by this finding on the ship. I think I have good reason to be relieved.

Most of the many items listed are things that could lead to contamination. BUT I did not see any items that there was contamination. Other than the few flies and roach nymph, there were mostly maintenance items and a little confusion on storing things. But nothing that would make me worry too much. The fact that these pre-cursors to real contamination were found and are part of these inspections should really put everyone at ease. It shows that the standards are high and the risk is low. I'm happy with it.

This kind of deduced logic reminds me of someone proclaiming happiness of a plane crash right before theirs because if got it out of the way. :confused:

But bad behaviors, shortcuts, and failed processese are what leads to problems. A quick cleanup without change leads them down the same path.

But no way would I proclaim happiness about a restaurant, hotel, or cruiseline I am a patron of.

:eek::eek:Really? Wow, I think quite the opposite. No way would they have failed if their standards were high. Them failing means that the risk is not low as you stated.

Having worked in and around the food industry in the past I can honestly say that by failing their standards were no near what they should be. It is the managers responsibility to keep the employees trained and to correct issues immediately.

I've clearly outlined how we post news stories on the forums (and for the record as well we have an entire forum dedicated to ALL news published by our editorial team, you can find it linked off of the boards homepage). To top THAT off, you can subscribe to all our news via an RSS feed if you so desire, here's a link: http://feeds.cruisecritic.com/site/cc/news

I'm not an editor, and rarely do I speak for others in this company but on this issue I have no qualms about doing so. Doesn't matter which line has a CDC indiscretion (that's what I call 'em); Cruise Critic will report on it. You'll find both the Celebrity and Princess news stories about their CDC issues listed on our News page: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/?src=nav

We post "sticky" notes on all news; and to be honest a CDC failure is not a "little incident" for any cruise line.

Laura

Well then I stand corrected and apologize. I wasn't referring to the CDC inspection being a little incident because it's not! I was referring to the ship breaking free of the mooring lines. I'm not saying Carnival is perfect because it's not and I am in no way a "loyalist" as I plan to cruise RC or NCL next year. My whole gripe was about fairness, if you (not you, CC) report every single incident Carnival has it should be done for other lines as well. Carnival's reputation has been getting slammed lately, some warranted and some not. But again, Laura I apologize for accusing you of being unfair and showing favoritism.

:eek::eek:Really? Wow, I think quite the opposite. No way would they have failed if their standards were high. Them failing means that the risk is not low as you stated.

Having worked in and around the food industry in the past I can honestly say that by failing their standards were no near what they should be. It is the managers responsibility to keep the employees trained and to correct issues immediately.

You're right it is not good. Someone isn't making sure their staff are trained right and following proper procedures. Aside from a score of 85 in 2011, Royal Caribbean hasn't failed an inspection since 1997. Hopefully this will make Carnival review their procedures and retrain their staff to make sure this doesn't happen again.

The last time we sailed on the Fascination (11/10/12) the ship's water had a fishy smell and taste during the entire cruise. Informed guest services and they said this sometimes happens occasionally? Maybe it was due to the under chlorinated water?

I guess I'm just happy the inspections call out these things and happen frequently enough to catch them in time. It's certainly better than a failing grade due to cockroach infestation or rats running around the food.

For those so inclined on keeping up with scores, we DO maintain this data on our site (and as you can see, it has been updated with the perfect Carnival Splendor score): CDC Scores

PS: No, I don't personally maintain that list so if there are errors....they WILL be updated by a staffer at some point in time.

It seems RCI does pretty darn good...even better than some of the premium lines.

I guess I'm just happy the inspections call out these things and happen frequently enough to catch them in time. It's certainly better than a failing grade due to cockroach infestation or rats running around the food.

A cockroach nymph is just a stage for a cockroach before they reach adulthood. I am assuming that the inspection was done during the day. Cockroaches are nocturnal and if you see any roach activity during the day it means that the nests are full.

By seeing a cockroach nymph during the day there possibly could be an infestation.

I still think that it is a very serious condition when the health inspection is failed.

Maybe someone can enlighten me but how often do the ships go through a health inspection? Does it differ from land based restaurants?

• Administrators
But again, Laura I apologize for accusing you of being unfair and showing favoritism.

That is very upstanding of you; I appreciate the sentiment!

Laura

and GMA is all over the story....

Has anyone watched GMA lately? I did the other day... they bring up a lot of things that seem to be far reaches just to have something to talk about.

http://gma.yahoo.com/carnival-ship-failed-recent-health-inspection-122150922--abc-news-topstories.html

If there was no story, they woidnt be talking about it. That's why they probably didn't feature a story about another line.

Most of the cites we're due to improperly installed back-flow valves.

It stands to reason that as part of a general maintenance procedure the same person installed these devices the same way everywhere -- poorly -- as they were leaky -- not backwards, but leaky -- could have been as simple as applying Teflon tape the wrong way.

Archived