Carnival Ship Fails CDC Inspection

LauraS

A cockroach nymph is just a stage for a cockroach before they reach adulthood. I am assuming that the inspection was done during the day. Cockroaches are nocturnal and if you see any roach activity during the day it means that the nests are full.

By seeing a cockroach nymph during the day there possibly could be an infestation.

I still think that it is a very serious condition when the health inspection is failed.

Maybe someone can enlighten me but how often do the ships go through a health inspection? Does it differ from land based restaurants?

According to the article, these inspections are performed twice per year. That seems frequent enough. I would expect the inspectors are trained to find cockroach infestation. They are good at hiding but not if you know what your doing. If there were full blown infestation you could be sure that there would be passenger reports of it.

One note, the previous inspection in July 2012 they scored a 93. Prior to that they had a bunch of 99s. It looks to me like a few particular things caused a lot of items on this inspection. I'm still not too bothered by it.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionResults.aspx

Yuck!! I will not be sailing this ship or any other ship that failed -

For what it's worth, this inspection must have been right after I finished my cruise on this ship on 2/21.

I am not a CDC inspector, but I am pretty picky, and I found the ship to appear to be VERY clean. We saw NO dirt, waste or bugs of ANY nature! Nor did we smell anything "fishy" or any other foul smells.

I understand the reason that the CDC has such strict standards, and I'm glad that they are enforced, but I certainly would not boycot this ship or Carnival based on this report.

For what it's worth, this inspection must have been right after I finished my cruise on this ship on 2/21.

I am not a CDC inspector, but I am pretty picky, and I found the ship to appear to be VERY clean. We saw NO dirt, waste or bugs of ANY nature! Nor did we smell anything "fishy" or any other foul smells.

I understand the reason that the CDC has such strict standards, and I'm glad that they are enforced, but I certainly would not boycot this ship or Carnival based on this report.

Which kitchens did you tour?

she posted a sticky on Celebrity's site..but got taken down a few days later.

That is not correct. She just posted a thread. See my post in this thread (#60), link 3. You'll see it was started by her and its still on the X board.

Anyone else find the timing of this "Surprise" inspection kinda odd? Never has Carnival failed an inspection, until the Government (aka Sen Rockefeller - D) got on their backs for petty things...

No. The links with the inspection reports show that the article is correct. The inspections are performed every 6 months. There seems to be a 1 month plus or minus, but if they are going to be a surprise, that isn't strange. This one was late by a about a month.

I will not sail on any ship from any line that has failed a CDC inspection. 12 plus cruise trips and not once sick;)

Anyone else find the timing of this "Surprise" inspection kinda odd? Never has Carnival failed an inspection, until the Government (aka Sen Rockefeller - D) got on their backs for petty things...

Carnival Ecstasy Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 4/27/2001 84

Carnival Ecstasy Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 6/10/1994 83

Carnival Fantasy Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 10/17/2004 83

Carnival Fantasy Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 6/16/1994 84

Carnival Fantasy Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 3/19/1990 78

Carnival Fascination Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 2/21/2013 84

Carnival Fascination Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 6/15/1997 74

Carnival Legend Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 10/14/2006 71

Carnival Pride Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 8/15/2004 83

Carnival Sensation Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 1/11/1995 85

Carnival Sunshine Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 1/10/1999 81

Carnival Victory Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 12/5/2004 80

Carnival Victory Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 1/28/2001 83

Strange definition of "never" you got there.

Carnival Sunshine Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. 1/10/1999 81

Was there once a Carnival Sunshine I know nothing about? :confused: Orrrr is that really the Destiny but they changed it to Sunshine since that's her new name? Also wanted to add that it seems like an ongoing problem for Carnival's older ships.

According to the article, these inspections are performed twice per year. That seems frequent enough. I would expect the inspectors are trained to find cockroach infestation. They are good at hiding but not if you know what your doing. If there were full blown infestation you could be sure that there would be passenger reports of it.

One note, the previous inspection in July 2012 they scored a 93. Prior to that they had a bunch of 99s. It looks to me like a few particular things caused a lot of items on this inspection. I'm still not too bothered by it.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionResults.aspx

Thanks for posting the link to the CDC InspectionDetails Report. I see from the report that [at least the cockroach nymph was dead and not live during the middle of the day. Still though a cockroach is a cockroach.

Evidently management has not been doing their job on the Fascination.

People don't realise that it only takes something minor in the food industry to make a lot of people sick.

Very disappointing after reading the report.

Was there once a Carnival Sunshine I know nothing about? :confused: Orrrr is that really the Destiny but they changed it to Sunshine since that's her new name? Also wanted to add that it seems like an ongoing problem for Carnival's older ships.

I guess the change is official now.

As for the scores, I mean an 84 is one screwup away from being a passing grade. So I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt. I've worked in restaurants, none of it is that surprising, I mean on a ship you'd not want to see walking vermin because there's not much of an excuse for it, but it is a kitchen.

For the people who are surprised at the failures of these ships:eek:.....I'm not sure you understand the inspectors job. It's not to look at things that are for EVERYONE to see (but not disguarding it either) they are looking for situations that we, as passengers can not see, and it's to our benefit....(our health) I'm sure most of us have never seen the dishes come out of the dish washer...but the inspector can see...also how clean the machine itself is....Looking for perhaps food that's going bad, again, as we passengers do not have access to see these areas. Before someone jumps in and starts talking about going on a "behind the scenes" tour, yes I've gone on them as well, but again, we aren't looking in bags of flour for bugs:eek: and looking in the boxes in the coolers etc.

I'm not going to stop cruising, but I am going to keep a close eye on this and I'm certainly going to choose more wisely.;)

For the people who are surprised at the failures of these ships:eek:.....I'm not sure you understand the inspectors job. It's not to look at things that are for EVERYONE to see (but not disguarding it either) they are looking for situations that we, as passengers can not see, and it's to our benefit....(our health) I'm sure most of us have never seen the dishes come out of the dish washer...but the inspector can see...also how clean the machine itself is....Looking for perhaps food that's going bad, again, as we passengers do not have access to see these areas. Before someone jumps in and starts talking about going on a "behind the scenes" tour, yes I've gone on them as well, but again, we aren't looking in bags of flour for bugs:eek: and looking in the boxes in the coolers etc.

I'm not going to stop cruising, but I am going to keep a close eye on this and I'm certainly going to choose more wisely.;)

I think that's the reason I'm not bothered by this inspection. If they had items like improper food temperature, rotting food, mold in the refrigerator, etc then I'd be bothered. The roach nymph does bother me but no infestation was found. How do they even know it was a cockroach? It could have been some other roach. As long as there is no infestation, then I'm good with it.

I wouldn't hold my breath! LOL Still have created any stickies about Celebrity's TWO failed inspections nor Princesses failed inspection.

I might be winning the medal for Carnival Cheerleader today but I don't care. Fair is fair and it seems like CC is trashing on Carnival.

I understand being a fan of cruising, but I don't understand blind loyalty to a brand. Also, did you know Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival are all owned by the same company?

If people lost jobs, and considering the significant issues Carnival has had lately, some people might think those at the top of the company should lose their jobs.

Archived