Passenger kicked off rhapsody for drunken incident

So you doubt my word or just didnt read my post:confused:

I cancelled a PI drinks package x2 on day 5 of a 14 night cruise on VOS,It was cancelled before midday on the 5th day and I was reimbursed 10 days PI package.

It took a simple cabin to service desk call then a transfer to beverage manager who agreed to the cancellation and actually laughed saying you are the first out of 820 drinks packages sold this cruise to cancel!

Den

That is a very interesting post. VOS has a capacity of just over 3,000 passengers and 820 drinks packages seems huge. I wonder if he was talking about booze packages or he included soda packages in that number. Most Australian cruises start with 2 days at sea so starting with the package and cancelling when you get to the first port could be a good strategy. A fun way to start the holiday.

This drinks package is all wrong. It takes 4 hours for each 1 oz. of Alcohol to be detoxified by our livers. So anyone who drinks 55.00 worth of booze a day is

slowly killing themselves. Some of you will say if it's slowly I will take my chances, after all I am on Holiday. Alcohol poisoning is insidious and life is to short to purposely rush headfirst in a hurray to oblivion.:(

Now we like to enjoy ourselves and have a few but this Alcohol Package is all wrong. You will see that in the next year or two it will be stopped by common sense I hope but more likely stopped due to a major Lawsuit. For either injury to passengers/crew or a wrongful death suit.:mad:

All inclusive resorts have being doing it for 20+ years, it's clearly a success, why would they stop. The adults buying the package on the ship are in charge of their own consumption albeit RCCL do their best to monitor.

when around alcohol, whether it's pay as you go, or unlimited. I would not blame the pre-paid alcohol packages for this.

I do feel sorry for the guy as my guess is he had little memory of his actions, and was remorseful and mortified. But, that's why it's called PROBLEM drinking.

Kudos to ship staff for doing the right thing. It's sends the message: have a good time, but do it responsibly, or there will be consequences.

Maybeeee, they need to think about lowering the cost amount to $25 per person a day ? I'd hate to see them completely stop the program and punish all adults, for the childish actions of a few. Your thoughts ?

I think you're saying that because of the comment that some people feel they need to drink more to get value from the package.

However, think what lowering the price as above means. It would mean even more people would get the package. And when people think something is 'free' (e.g. such as being already paid for), they're comfortable taking more of it.

That would just increase the number of people drinking large amounts onboard.

Perhaps if they amended their drink policy to something similar to Celebrity's which included fresh squeezed juice, water, etc., it would give people a reason to drink something other than alcohol. I did not see any issues when sailing on Celebrity. They would probably sell more packages too!!! Just a thought!!

If I understand your post, someone who disagrees with you is a cheerleader for the cruise line.

How sad that is the only way you can see it.

Yes... it's an accusation from him in other situations as well.

Some people just don't see other perspectives so think if you don't agree there must be another reason and hence resort to the old standbys.

Then why don't they allow you to either purchase a 1 L bottle or bring one on? I really don't like to wait for room service or walking back & forth to a bar. The answer is $$$$

The answer is the George Smith incident and subsequent lawsuits.

You seem to read only what you want to:confused:

My reply was to why cant you bring on your own booze if RCI has unlimited drinks package which the answer to is to stop people getting over drunk! lol

I have experience with the new PI package and can tell you they just keep serving! So there is no "responsible serving" as well as "responsible drinking"!

so throws the BYO booze argument out of the window.

But just go ahead and cheer away!:p:p:p

Your reply was that the drinker was not responsible because the bartenders kept serving. That is preposterous. No one is forcing the drinker to keep drinking. You are always responsible for your own behavior. Always.

And the BYO booze policy is in place for two reasons: 1. to head of negligence lawsuits of the likes that they got after the George Smith incident and 2. to protect a vital revenue stream. No one has ever suggested that either is not the case.

Wine has been allowed on many lines but never spirits. Saving a few bucks or going for brag rights??

This statement is not true. Disney Cruise Lines among others allowed you to carry on all the sprits you want, no limit!!! And BTW they don't have an excessive drinking problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This statement is not true. Disney Cruise Lines among others allowed you to carry on all the sprits you want, no limit!!! And BTW they don't have an excessive drinking problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well you learn something everyday :o- the only cruise lines I have been on do not allow spirits.

There were very few people "under the weather" on our Silversea cruise (all inclusive) but that may have more to do with the passenger mix and the itinerary.

Similar on Xpedition - all alcohol included but no boozing.

That is a very interesting post. VOS has a capacity of just over 3,000 passengers and 820 drinks packages seems huge. I wonder if he was talking about booze packages or he included soda packages in that number. Most Australian cruises start with 2 days at sea so starting with the package and cancelling when you get to the first port could be a good strategy. A fun way to start the holiday.

It was 820 PI or Premium Drinks packages sold on this cruise!

The ship was running out of different beers within 2 days, the cocktail carton mixers were running out by day 5,half way through they ran out of Jack Daniels in many bars and there were plenty of complaints about the lack of booze choices left by some who didnt like Jim Beam.

Containers were missing at Fremantle and the ship sailed without some goods, namely certain booze/wine,most people with drinks packages were informed of the missing C containers by staff.

I was not the only one to cancel but the first, some others were told they can purchase the PI package half way through as well:)

Well you learn something everyday :o- the only cruise lines I have been on do not allow spirits.

There were very few people "under the weather" on our Silversea cruise (all inclusive) but that may have more to do with the passenger mix and the itinerary.

Similar on Xpedition - all alcohol included but no boozing.

Carnival USA allow you to purchase as much spirit as you like from their online Bon Voyage shop before you cruise and it is waiting for you in your cabin when you board!

Wow! The waiters don't bring you a drink unless you ask for it...package or not. Additionally, it's called consumption for a reason. Meaning it's always the drinkers fault unless of course the server is holding you down and pouring it down your throat otherwise you and only you are consuming the alcohol. Sorry but I had almost a whole career of drunks telling me it wasn't their fault usually it was after they killed or almost killed someone else.

I beg to differ! My drinks waiter had our preferred drinks waiting for us as we were seated? Just as he did for other table guests on our table:confused:

Even when I cancelled the package the drinks were ready when we were without asking! I was drinking Bass and Boddingtons and when the ship ran out,he still managed to store some for me right up until last night and I didnt ask him to do this but he did!

As soon as my glass was empty he was there re filling it,and yes he got a nice envelope last night even though im Australian:)

The answer is the George Smith incident and subsequent lawsuits.

Your reply was that the drinker was not responsible because the bartenders kept serving. That is preposterous. No one is forcing the drinker to keep drinking. You are always responsible for your own behavior. Always.

And the BYO booze policy is in place for two reasons: 1. to head of negligence lawsuits of the likes that they got after the George Smith incident and 2. to protect a vital revenue stream. No one has ever suggested that either is not the case.

You fail to realize that My RCI cruise began in "Australia" as did the one in question, where we have very strict "Responsible Service Of Alcohol" Laws and Australian laws are as relevant as USA Laws given none of RCI,s fleet are from USA:confused:

I am sure RCI wouldnt want to mess with Australian Law while in Australia so you must realize just because there may not be "Responsible Service Of Alcohol" Laws or you are unaware of there existence where you live it doesnt mean they are "irrelevant" and a drinker is always solely responsible for the amount they consume as you are suggesting!

In Australia A Bar tender/ Licensed establishment license holder is equally responsible for a persons "excessive" consuption of Alcohol by law:).

It's in the T&Cs that staff can refuse to serve you if they think you've had too much.

18. Our bartenders and waiters abide by our company’s ServSafe program, which teaches our staff how to serve alcohol responsibly. Our bartenders and waiters will watch for over consumption. Even if a guest purchases a beverage package, if over consumption is suspected, bartenders and waiters will take appropriate action and may deny service, or serve water or non-alcoholic drinks instead.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_images/Alcohol%20Beverage%20Package%20Ts%20and%20Cs%20March%202013%20v1_tcm16-23800.pdf

I agree completely that there is a huge level of personal responsibility here, and a guest should drink within their limits. But honestly, there are lots of people who can't hold their alcohol. Do the staff actually deny service? Surely if a bartender denied someone a drink and that guest went to management with a complaint, the manager would back up said bartender for following the company policy and doing his job?

Carnival USA allow you to purchase as much spirit as you like from their online Bon Voyage shop before you cruise and it is waiting for you in your cabin when you board!

Then why bother smuggling booze on?

BTW Carnival confiscates liquor in luggage

The online ordering is at ship's prices - most people would not go for that and I bet if you tried to order mega booze there would be questions. Besides, in most cases, in room alcohol cannot be consumed around the ship. That means you could quietly get plastered in your room and not annoy anyone.

For the record we were on RH on March 11 for 12 nights. The bartenders ARE cutting people off nightly. They sometimes tell people to go back to their room and actually get compliance. Drink package purchasers are being cut off for the rest of the cruise if they get out of hand. No refunds! My info comes from a combination of various bartenders and officers on board.

I also heard Aussies ask to have their drinks made weaker. They aren't used to free pours.

We met and hung out with several suite couples - all 1st time cruisers. All bought the drink package. Travel agents didn't tell them they got free booze in the CL each night. So they would get premium drinks in the CL since they were paid for. New Aussie cruisers mostly don't come to CC or have a clue what drink pricing is on board. Drinking is extremely expensive in Australia. Most told us they just liked knowing it was all paid for and wouldn't be getting a bar bill at the end of the cruise. They weren't drinking to get their money's worth.

I do wish I had taken photos of the over drinkers in the VCL. They weren't poorly behaved. Just uninhibited in how they danced. Funny!

On the cruise after ours 3 people were disembarked for drinking issues that got out of hand. That was the cruise prior to OPs. I'm not at liberty to say what happened or who told me but the info is good and reliable. It has to be happening all the time on RH. Apparently CC researched this one case because of this thread. People were often being disembarked from Monarch. We don't read stories about that. I suspect Majesty has it's issues.

We were on RD for a cruise prior to RH. The demographics were totally different and so were the drinking levels.

And yes, they ran out of plenty of drinks on the RH cruise. I waited too long to order a mojito. There was no more mint. Pyrat rum was gone. Some beer supplies were drained. The list is longer.

The worst thing about the alcohol packages is that the bartenders are being over burdened with work and in Australia no one is giving an extra dollar a drink tip as many Americans do on top of the 15% RCI adds to the drinks whether bought individually or as a package.

The most drinking I ever saw on a cruise was on an open bar Monarch cruise booked by a group through orlandopubcrawls. Those cruises are booked by mostly college students looking to get their money's worth.

Most on RH booking the alcohol packages aren't there for that reason. At least not initially. :) The over drinkers do it, package or no package. I've seen over drinking done by older folks in the CL on other ships in just a few hours - The get it while you can mentality.

The reason why people get overly drunk when purchasing a drinks package is because they paid for it. When it is included in an all inclusive resort for example, first of all the drinks are watered down and second the quality of the drinks is not always very good. So you eventually have one or two and that's it. Otherwise, you have to purchase your own drinks to get the premium stuff. I have been to resorts where the drinks were amazing, but again since everything was included, I didn't feel the need to overconsume.

I think these packages are a very bad idea because it incites people to drink more than they would normally consume. When you BYO on board, you enjoy your drink in your stateroom without feeling the need to consume what you have purchased.

Concerning the laws, I wonder if the laws of each country applies or it's a question of international law and internal policy.

Lastly, why would you even want to drink that much on a ship? Doesn't the rocking movement make people sick. I can only imagine what the attendants find in the morning...

You fail to realize that My RCI cruise began in "Australia" as did the one in question, where we have very strict "Responsible Service Of Alcohol" Laws and Australian laws are as relevant as USA Laws given none of RCI,s fleet are from USA:confused:

I am sure RCI wouldnt want to mess with Australian Law while in Australia so you must realize just because there may not be "Responsible Service Of Alcohol" Laws or you are unaware of there existence where you live it doesnt mean they are "irrelevant" and a drinker is always solely responsible for the amount they consume as you are suggesting!

In Australia A Bar tender/ Licensed establishment license holder is equally responsible for a persons "excessive" consuption of Alcohol by law:).

I didn't fail to realize anything. The US also has very strict responsible serving laws. And I never said they were irrelevant so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Beyond that, you originally stated the drinker had NO responsibility which is what I was countering. That is ridiculous.

You can cancel a drinks package during the cruise? We were thinking it would be good to have it for just a couple days and then dial it back. I cannot imagine drinking for ten straight days, actually I can, it's called "leaving Las Vegas" and it starred Nicholas Cage.

I don't know if I can post the link but you got quoted on Cruise Law News :http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/04/articles/cruise-booze/cruise-booze-is-a-passengers-drinking-problem-just-his-own/

Archived