Alaska cruise fun for younger set?

beachh2o

Has anyone had experience taking Pre-teen or younger Teenagers on a cruise to Alaska. Do they get bored due to the colder weather with less to do while cruising? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Only you can answer about your kids and it can't really be based on any one elses...As far as my young adult age kids...they have no interest in Alaska at this point in time...They love the warm weather tropical and European cruises...So we cruise to Alaska alone..with no problem ;):D

My kids, now adults went me, several times.

Only YOU know your kids, and certainly YES, there are bored kids sailing Alaska, I have seen enough. :)

Key for interest, is to pick great touring opportunities (budget enough) and INVOLVE the kids in the planning. Depending how this goes, should be your clear answer how they are going to do on this itinerary.

I took my 10 year old grandaughter on an AK cruise on the Princess (Whittier to Vancouver). She loved it. However, she did not participate in any of the youth activities. Her comment on them was "childish and boring". She spent time with us on deck and in the pool.

DON

Has anyone had experience taking Pre-teen or younger Teenagers on a cruise to Alaska. Do they get bored due to the colder weather with less to do while cruising? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

We took my kids two years ago when they were 12, 15 and 18. They found other kids their ages and hung out all week. We are from the Seattle area, so they are used to the weather and never thought it was cold. They were in the pools every day. Of course, they've never been on a Caribbean cruise so don't have anything to compare it to. The older two (boys) ate constantly and loved the nice dinners in the MDR at night. They loved being able to have prime rib and lobster and creme brûlée without me telling them it was too expensive. They all had a great time!

We took our kids 4 years ago when they were 11. Now they are 15 and we are going again and they are sooo excited. Alaska is an amazing place especially if you love wildlife and beautiful scenery. There usually is something the kids can do with the cruise ship activities, but my kids just hung out looking out the window or standing at the deck railing, drinking hot chocolate and watching the whales, eagles, sea lions, bears, icebergs, waterfalls, mountains go by!!!!:D

to think that anyone would think Alaska is boring. I suppose if vacation only means a beach or swimming pool, seeing one of the great areas of the world with such different geography and experiences might be hard to measure up. I would feel like I helped my child set good values and priorities in life if they could see the privilege and wonderful experience a trip to Alaska would be. When I was a kid, a trip to visit the relatives was even a great adventure!

to think that anyone would think Alaska is boring. I suppose if vacation only means a beach or swimming pool, seeing one of the great areas of the world with such different geography and experiences might be hard to measure up. I would feel like I helped my child set good values and priorities in life if they could see the privilege and wonderful experience a trip to Alaska would be. When I was a kid, a trip to visit the relatives was even a great adventure!

If you think about it, MOST Alaska visitors never get past the ports, and enjoy their time, walking among the shops and little downtown areas. Ships can now unload over 10,000 passengers every day. Take a look at your tour numbers. :) A SMALL fraction. A great number simply refuse to pay the prices of touring Alaska, or figure they are going to be able to get 1/2 priced tours if they wait. A lot never do anything. This message board is only a very small number of Alaska visitors. All kinds of people go there.

If you think about it, MOST Alaska visitors never get past the ports, and enjoy their time, walking among the shops and little downtown areas. Ships can now unload over 10,000 passengers every day. Take a look at your tour numbers. :) A SMALL fraction. A great number simply refuse to pay the prices of touring Alaska, or figure they are going to be able to get 1/2 priced tours if they wait. A lot never do anything. This message board is only a very small number of Alaska visitors. All kinds of people go there.

Thanks for bringing this fact up as this is exactly what we did and had a wonderful time (I didn't want to bring it up expecting to be criticized by all those that think you must book excursions). We're going on our 2nd trip to Alaska May 17th and have only booked Skagway White Pass with Chilkoot and Bering Sea Crab tour (booked privately) in Ketchikan...We have cruised for many years to many ports and only recently have started to book some ships DIY's and private tours...Giving us a good reason to repeat many of those itineraries.:D

Archived