The NEW Celebrity Secrets thread (4/2013)

ghstudio

No problem if you want to exchange some € (we also live in the EU) at the Guest Relations desk after you board. The exchange rate isn't great, but it will be easy enough to exchange €20 for approx. $25 (rate right now is $1.32 = € 1). That way you're sure to have enough single dollars for the room service deliveries. €5 is a lot to tip for a room delivery of breakfast or something simple. (Or, maybe change some €€ at any bank before you leave home. The currency onboard Celebrity is generally $$, even on the European cruises.)

Wishing you a great cruise on Reflection!!:)

Agreed, The currency on-board is US$ when you buy from the ship.

On Equinox I found 1 euro / 2 euro coins convenient on European sailings for room service tips.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Good one, gonna change at the guest relations then!

Thanks alot, I hope it will be great as the last one on the Equinox :)

btw, "Captain's Club Host" - where do i find her/him? :confused:

Not sure if it's the same on all the Solstice class ships, but on the Equinox TA in April, I think the Captain's Club Host/Hostess' (changed mid-way) desk was in the open area (Team Earth) near the bank of elevators - on Deck 7. Although when I look at the little directory we received onboard, Captain's Club is listed as midships, Deck 5.:confused:

To be sure, ask at Guest Relations!! (while you are changing € to $):D

They had a desk at the "Team Earth" area on deck 7

Not sure if it's the same on all the Solstice class ships, but on the Equinox TA in April, I think the Captain's Club Host/Hostess' (changed mid-way) desk was in the open area (Team Earth) near the bank of elevators - on Deck 7. Although when I look at the little directory we received onboard, Captain's Club is listed as midships, Deck 5.:confused:

To be sure, ask at Guest Relations!! (while you are changing € to $):D

Thanks to both of you!

On the Equinox in Feb. the Captains Club hostess had an office on Deck 5 just in front of Future Cruises office (aft). She also had a desk with specific hours by Guest Relations

This is actually more of a travelling/flying tip rather than a Celebrity secret: If you're one of those who loves to wear panama hats, bring a medium sized binder clip. You can clip your hat to the magazine pocket of the chair in front of you.

As there are no washing machines on board, we like to do our "smalls" by hand. If we forget the wee mini packets of liquid laundry soap, or run out, the shampoo works in a pinch. Our BF bought us a tin of tiny wooden clothes pegs at Chapters, I think they're meant to be used as a sort of paper clip, and they are perfect for hanging washing on the pull out line in the shower.

We also dry clean some items before returning home, it's cheaper on the ship, than at home.

Liz

For all UK based cruisers look into buying OBC before you sail. It is in the gifts section at the bottom of Celebrity website. You get a great rate. There is a thread about it that gives you more information but the rate is excellent. Well worth looking into.

Sadly the rate has now been reduced.

Very :thumbdown::(

• 4 weeks later...
Is this limited to UK only? Didn't see that on the german CC page nor on the US one.

I'm not sure.

I went on to the site.

already Booked- scroll down to gifts

Choose OBC

Shipboard Credit

When I bought in March, the price was £15.33 per unit, now £16.50, buys $25.68.

I won't be buying, as we have the Classic package.

It's been a few years since I cruised on Celebrity. From this thread, it sounds as if the brunch had replaced the midnight buffet?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Haven't seen a midnight buffet in years. We have been on a few cruises (although it has been awhile) where they had a small buffet up by the pool deck with some music and a theme party of some sort. But nothing like the midnight buffets of old. I am guessing they just threw out way too much food to make them practical but who knows.

We'll be on a trans Atlantic (15 days). This will be our first Celebrity cruise. I'd prefer to pack light. What are the laundry options besides paying for each item individually?

Also, any suggestions on how to purchase wine with dinner most economically. I've looked at the beverage packages available to pre-purchase but we don't drink enough to justify those.

Thanks

We'll be on a trans Atlantic (15 days). This will be our first Celebrity cruise. I'd prefer to pack light. What are the laundry options besides paying for each item individually?

Also, any suggestions on how to purchase wine with dinner most economically. I've looked at the beverage packages available to pre-purchase but we don't drink enough to justify those.

Thanks

although it varies, some cruises offer a "bag" full of laundry for a fixed price about mid way through the cruise. No way to know if it will happen on your cruise.

If you plan to drink three or more bottles of wine during the cruise, you can buy a wine package that saves you a little....you pick from a list of adequately good wines. You don't have to finish the bottle, if there is some left at the end of your meal, just ask the sommelier to keep it for you and they will find it the next night (tell them where you were when they saved it for you). This also works between dining rooms....if you save it in the main dining room and eat in a specialty restaurant, they will find the wine in the main dining room area.

This is not a Celebrity-specific secret, but it is a great tip.

We take a couple of bags of the mini-chocolate bars (Milky Way, Snickers, etc.) on each trip.

When we have someone bring something to our room, we wrap a dollar around one of those.

The crew loves them. The first time you hand it to them, they look puzzled at the lumpy dollar, but when they open it, they say, "Oh! Chocolate!"

You get amazing service from then on out. We have had extra canapes at night brought to us before dinner, extra strawberries, cookies with the decaff coffee we order at night and so on.

You also get service with a smile after that, too. Our steward said that they don't often have access to such things and that it was really nice to have it.

And you are so thoughtful to think about this. I just got off a thread looking for tipping bar staff, and others, a tip beyond the auto 15% gratuity, and got a headache with all the arguing back and forth about 'buying your way to the front of the line', etc.

Thanks for the sweet attitude! AND the great tip!

Lisa

They offered the bag deal for laundry on the 12 day cruise we were on last month (I think about mid way, maybe a day or so either side). Basically, whatever you could fit into the paper laundry bag that's in the closet would be laundered and returned folded for $35. We did it, got all of the socks, underwear, tee shirts and a few other items.

We take a couple of bags of the mini-chocolate bars (Milky Way, Snickers, etc.) on each trip.

When we have someone bring something to our room, we wrap a dollar around one of those.

The crew loves them. The first time you hand it to them, they look puzzled at the lumpy dollar, but when they open it, they say, "Oh! Chocolate!"

You get amazing service from then on out. We have had extra canapes at night brought to us before dinner, extra strawberries, cookies with the decaff coffee we order at night and so on.

You also get service with a smile after that, too. Our steward said that they don't often have access to such things and that it was really nice to have it.

Great idea. Love it. I'd avoid anything with peanuts, though. As a teacher, I'm prohibited from giving anything out to my students which has any warning about peanuts or other nuts.

Funny, I was just chatting to friends yesterday and this topic came up. They are long-time cruisers, mostly on Cunard, iirc. Many years ago they left a couple of nice chocolates as an extra "thank you" to their steward after particularly excellent service, and the steward met them before they disembarked to say how thoughtful and appreciated the gift was. Ever since, they have always brought a small bag of "posh" chocolates as a gift for the steward and his team. They always receive outstanding service - although, as my friend says, what they enjoy most of all is seeing the steward's enormous smile when they hand over the gift.