Freedom from the Mouse! Our first non-Disney cruise, and we LOVED it!

Drew Devine was our CD and he was incredible! I was really bummed because I had heard about how wonderful Graham was and he left shortly before our cruise. I beleive Drew said he was going back to another ship (Voyager? Can't remember) where his wife is an entertainer...... He was so much more involved than any of the previous 3 CDs we'd encountered on DCL.

To be honest, she didn't participate in any organized activities on this cruise. Actually, she didn't do much on Disney either - she tends to find her new BFF the first day and that's it. But I did see a lot of kids in and out of Fuel. It looked to be well managed. And no, parents need not sign in and out. That is only for 11 and under.

Our 11yo could sign in and out and could also sign his younger brother in and out.

For us it's more about the ship than the ports. Now that we've done the Western twice and will have done Eastern twice after our next cruise. I am intrigued by a Southern itinerary, but we'd probably have to fly to Miami..... We love our sea days and after dinner shenanigans so that's why we look for a special ship.

Hey There!

We are doing the Southern Route on RCCL Jewel of the Seas on June 8th!!! She leaves from San Juan, PR. We live just south of Tampa on the West Coast of Florida, but are driving to Ft. Lauderdale to fly to San Juan as the price difference in airfare was almost $800.00 cheaper. Everyone I have talked to says that the Southern Caribbean routes are stunning. If I get brave, I'll try to do a report.

I think the window would be very nice!!!!! Did you notice a difference in service between Freedom and Indy?

Service in the MDR was fantastic. I felt that both Indy and Freedom had excellent service. One day on Freedom my Sister returned late from Jamaca to the dining room and was still able to have a great meal.

The only difference I saw between Indy and Freedom is that Indy I felt was still in transition from the Europeon style of cruise to American style of cruise. When I sailed Indy she was just her 2nd cruise from a TA and first in America in like 2+ years. This was a great cruise and I have Indy booked for 2014.

After all our vacation voyeuring, I just wanted to see "it."

The elusive Promenade. So beautiful in photos, would it really measure up?

100_1740_zps55ded3cd.jpg

This was our first view. We entered the ship on Deck 4 port side, right through the photo gallery. I spotted the stairs and said, "Let's go see the Promenade!"

PapPap's first words, "Isn't there an elevator?" to which Jeff replied, "It's one level up, deal with it."

This would be a common conversation throughout the cruise..... :rolleyes:

DSC_0020_zps6757cece.jpg

It was love at first sight. I mean, Vintages, Bull and Bear Pub, and yeah, some other places that did not serve booze, but I'm cruising with my inlaws, cut me some slack!!!!

In my three previous cruises, the entry was gorgeous, DCL has beautiful atriums, and you are announced BY NAME like you are celebrities.....

But this. Nothing prepared me for the Promenade.

After walking the Promenade, we let Ally direct us up to Windjammer for lunch and our first Drink of the Day!!!!! Only $6.95 and the souvenier glass is actually GLASS, as opposed to plastic. RCCL you just keep wowing me!

I will give DCL credit for their "bring your own alcohol" policy. Very liberal, to say the least. If you can haul it on board, it's yours. In the past we've taken wine, rum (to make rum and cokes with the self serve soda machines), and even some fruity liquors. RCCL allows 2 bottles of wine per stateroom and that's it.

And remember, no water either. Although I think Nana and PapPap are still fighting that. In fact, I think they were at guest services fighting immediately after lunch, while we were checking out or luxury digs for the next week!

We thought we were so cool, because our room was highlighted on the touchscreen off the elevators...

DSC_0404_zps8efabffc.jpg

DSC_0405_zpsd1dffcce.jpg

There we are, in 1400!

A great review just got even better... we are in 1700 in just a few short weeks!

I am enjoying your review.

I've sailed DCL, Carnival and RCCL and find them all to be comparable. There are things I like about each line (and things I don't really like about each line) but I agree that there is life after the mouse and if you love cruising, you'll love cruising just about any ship.

I have loved reading all 3 of your reviews! I have only ever done celebrity. RCL and Disney are the two lines I would consider doing if we ever branched out.

I'm also a member of the DIS, though I don't post much at all. I am a long time Disney freak, er fan. :) DH tolerates my love of the mouse (he was nice enough to agree to have our wedding there :D but WDW is definitely not his favorite place over all. A cruise some day on DCL might be a nice alternative way to get a Disney fix.

Two questions -

1. are you going to post your moms only trip? I'd love to see DCL from an adults only perspective and the dream or fantasy would be the two ships I would chose between (mostly for the ability to dine in Remy, lol).

2. with RCL, I am torn as to how I feel about the promenade. It looks beautiful, but does it feel like you're in a floating mall?

Anyway, great reviews! Love your sense of humor and writing style! :D

Edited by shoelover536
grammar

2. with RCL, I am torn as to how I feel about the promenade. It looks beautiful, but does it feel like you're in a floating mall?

Anyway, great reviews! Love your sense of humor and writing style! :D

I had the same concern, but now that I've sailed her, my take is this:

There are times when one wants to be indoors. Perhaps it's windy or hot, maybe one's dressed up, or just wants to be out of the sun.

So now you're going inside. You're going to be in a public space. Would you rather be in one with a huge empty space and a ceiling that's way above you, or in the typical bar?

Of course in the Royal Promenade you actually spend most time in a venue not much different from most ships, but when walking about from place to place, it's so nice having that sense of space.

I'm 6'3" and I've often felt on cruises that the ceiling is way to close to my head.

So any "mally" feeling is more than compensated for by the long sightlines, the high ceilings, and the general sense of openness that is usually only found on deck.

Whoever designed it should be in the cruise ship hall of fame.

Edited by DrD

I had the same concern, but now that I've sailed her, my take is this:

There are times when one wants to be indoors. Perhaps it's windy or hot, maybe one's dressed up, or just wants to be out of the sun.

So now you're going inside. You're going to be in a public space. Would you rather be in one with a huge empty space and a ceiling that's way above you, or in the typical bar?

Of course in the Royal Promenade you actually spend most time in a venue not much different from most ships, but when walking about from place to place, it's so nice having that sense of space.

I'm 6'3" and I've often felt on cruises that the ceiling is way to close to my head.

So any "mally" feeling is more than compensated for by the long sightlines, the high ceilings, and the general sense of openness that is usually only found on deck.

Whoever designed it should be in the cruise ship hall of fame.

I too like the openness of the promenade. Also, it feels less like a mall to me and has more of a city square type feel--most malls I go to don't have multiple bars within 100 yards of each other! :D

hahahahaha! But did you ever talk to him? Because the very last night we were picking up some photos and he was at the counter. When he opened his mouth to talk, I swooned. And then I heard him and thought I was talking to Alvin the Chipmunk!!!! :D Swoon over.

Seriously funny and makes me feel better. We did not and I must admit that my DH voice is one of the many things I ADORE about him.;) Just the right amount of Southern accent and depth! :rolleyes: Really, who knew that the voice could be such a turn on or off?! Giggles, looking forward to chatting on our M&M boards.

I don't disagree the tangible items Royal Caribbean megaship win ... I mean, they transform the industry basically, and redefine the meaning of "WOW". But to me, Disney cruise's asset is in their intangible ... the magical experience. You won't hear people telling you they have a magical experience on a Royal Caribbean cruise, nor any other cruiseline. MAGIC is unique to Disney, same as WOW is unique to Royal Caribbean. It depends on the consumer how much you value MAGIC, or WOW, or whatever attribute that is important to you. DCL's success depends on the continual growth of the Disney brand globally, and all the entertainment associated to it ... Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars ... you name them.

edit: many will say "I'd rather get my Disney fix at the park, and cruise elsewhere", which is fine. I haven't been to the park. I like DCL as it allows us to cruise and experience Disney at the same time, but having said that, it doesn't mean that I do not like other cruiseline.

I agree to a point. There is definitely something magical about Disney - whether its the parks, cruise line, movies, etc. But to charge so much more is just crazy to me. At first I was willing to pay it, until I realized it's just not necessary to still get that same incredible feeling. I cry every time I first see the castle (and I've been to WDW over 20 times). I cry at every DCL sail away. I cry when I hug Mickey. I love Disney. But I feel I got way more bang for my buck on Freedom.

Hi. Just found your review and got caught up. Excellent start! Love the details and pictures. You can see from my signature line that Freedom is our favorite RCCL ship. We have been on all the Freedom class ships at least once but Freedom is still my favorite.

We tried Allure but it just wasn't our cup of tea.

We do MTD and LOVE it. We have never waited more than 10 minutes for a table even with 6 people in our party. We never know what time we are going to head to dinner after a drink or two before dinner. We usually wind up in the dining room between 7:15pm and 8:00pm.

Can't wait to read the rest of your review. All of our "Freedom" cruises have been to the Western and we will finally be doing the Eastern on Freedom this September. Our cruises on Celebrity have been Eastern. Wanda

OK can you answer a MTD question? We love having the same server - do you get this on MTD? Because that's the main reason we chose a seating time.

I am loving your review.

:D

Your review is great, and making me want to try out the Freedom class. Unfortunately for me, my first shot at it will be in 2015. Still, that might be about the same time you finish your review :p :D

hahahahahaha!!!!! And if I can't get some photos deleted from PHotobucket it might be 2016!!!!