Elastic Waist Pants?

msdebbe

I usually do not wear elastic waist pants and am traveling the day before for our Med. cruise. One flight will be 2 hours, the next 10 hours and overnight. I was told by a seasoned traveler elastic waist pants may be more comfortable. Any suggestions on the kind to get, what store? What would you wear to be comfortable?

Thanks you are always so helpful!

I usually travel in a nice pair of black yoga pants - stretchy and comfy - and usable during the cruise as well.....they also look nice after sitting in them for a few hours - no wrinkles, etc.

I would try on a few different pairs to see what fits best! Good luck :)

Many, many types of elastic waist pants out there. All kinds of leggings, Yoga pants, track suit pants, Chicos travelers, Jjill Wearever, etc. It all depends on how relaxed you want to go. I think this time I'm doing my Athleta Bettona boyfriend pants. I've got a 4.5 hr flight, a 5 hour layover, a 9 hr overnight flight. On the way home, the long segment is 11.25 hr. I'll just have them laundered at the hotel my first stop.

I wear boot cut yoga pants for a looser fit. Target has nice ones. Not only are they great on the plane, they are great to wear while touring around. You can pair them with nice tunic tops to be comfortable and presentable.

myself very comfortable in a pair of Columbia khaki sports pants from the outlet

that had a cozy elastic waistband....last year

I also liked them because they had pockets, because I always have something small I wanna keep in them, even if just a tissue. Right now they are misplaced.. :(

I realized a lightweight pair of jeans I have and a new pair of Banana Republic pants I bought the other day for 6$, yes 6 DOLLARS! are pretty comfortable....

I wore the same clothes to and from Europe......did laundry on the ship so threw them in...

I would try to make sure it is a pair of pants that will work with different tops you bring in case you decide you prefer to wear pants while on a trip.

I layer on a plane...tank top, light sweater, and a light jacket...

if I get tooo warm, I get agitated...like claustrobic....ewww...

so by wearing loose bottom pants, I can roll em up to cool off....(Happened in winter in a hot broadway theatre...had to take off my UGGS cause I was so overheated...and it was NOT the "changes"...hahahaha

So...cozy fabric...cozy fit....and layers to keep you comfy if it is hot or cold...

Also choose comfy shoes....I would bet you have perfect stuff already...but great reason to go shopping!

Bernadette

I also travel in Yoga pants. I take a couple of pairs, one in Capri length, which I can sleep in if my jammies are in the wash. I have Chicos travelers, but find that they are hot and make me sweaty. :( Not comfortable for overnight flights.

I vote for J Jill's Wearever line. They are light enough to be comfortable, and look nice enough to not scream "lounge wear".

If I'm headed somewhere chilly, I toss a pair of lightweight silk long underwear (leggings) into my carry on bag and will put them on just before landing.

I vote for J Jill's Wearever line. They are light enough to be comfortable, and look nice enough to not scream "lounge wear".

If I'm headed somewhere chilly, I toss a pair of lightweight silk long underwear (leggings) into my carry on bag and will put them on just before landing.

I buy the long silk underwear (pant liners) from www.wintersilks.com[/url ] Item No. 003.

They are great to put under pants when arriving at a cool/colder climate than from where you departed. They are great under pants in Alaska. If you get warm, easy to take them off and roll into a small ball in your purse.

There are so many elastic waist pants and pants with elastic on sides only that if worn with a top not tucked in, you don't even know they have elastic but are so comfortable. For long distance, many hour travel, they are the way to go IMO

I have a pair of "Pajama Jeans" that I wear a lot. They are really comfy and look nice enough to wear out in public. I put another piece of elastic around the waist after I got them to make the top fit better. And my husband doesn't call them my "granny jeans".

...forgot to mention in regard to 'pockets' - I also use my yoga pants for touring and they have that 'secret' pocket in the waistband which was great for places like Barcelona where pickpockets are rampant - able to tuck a credit card or key in there or some spare euros - just in case!

So you may wish to look for a pair with a secret or zippered pocket - depending on where you are travelling?

In the years when we used to wear long skirts when touring in Europe, (broomstick was the style), I sewed a zipper pocket on my slip into which I could slip credit card, cash and copy of our passports.

Now, I would turn pants inside out and handsew a small piece of nylon with light, soft zipper pocket to stash for emergency. Use nylon such as what our slips used to be made from and maybe two snaps instead of zipper if you wish. Great security and no one knows it is there especially if you wear a top not tucked in.

I bought a pair of pants from Lands End that I just love. They are from their Star Fish collection. A little pricey but I have worn them all winter. They do have full length and capri length. They come in several colors, all fairly dark. The other thing I like is that they come in regular and petite length. Not sure about tall.

Good luck in your search for the perfect pants.

I bought a pair of pants from Lands End that I just love. They are from their Star Fish collection. A little pricey but I have worn them all winter. They do have full length and capri length. They come in several colors, all fairly dark. The other thing I like is that they come in regular and petite length. Not sure about tall.

Yes!!! I love them and am wearing a pair right now! :) They also have a little zippered pocket at the waistline that's just the right size for key card or credit card. I bought the navy in long and capri length and the dusty blue in capri length. I've had them for about a year and they wash great and don't stretch out. Will be getting more before our next trip. Definitely worth the price, but Lands End always has a 25-30% sale code with free shipping over $50. Just get on their email list for the sales codes.

Love all the tips here!

I just ordered a pair of black crepe pants with elastic waist from JJill. I've never ordered from them and hope they fit. Also ordered a sweater on sale. I found a $10 off coupon code = thx30. It expires 5/1/13.

My words exactly. Lands end starfish collection. I have the Capri and the regular length. Love them. And yes, get on their email list. Sales and free shipping!!

My sister in law, who is much heavier then I am..said to me once.."I bet you don't own a pair of pants that have elastic waist". Told her I have them on right now! Lands end! Think they were the Sport Knit Pants!

I don't like to travel in a yoga pant - too casual for me. In the past I have worn khakis (or black trousers) with some stretch in them that are comfortable enough for long flights. My next trip (domestic, for work) I'm wearing my cute new red ponte pants from Lands End on the plane. Plenty comfy, plus I can wear them for work:D

http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-fit-2-ponte-ankle-pants~246480_59.html

Love all the tips here!

I just ordered a pair of black crepe pants with elastic waist from JJill. I've never ordered from them and hope they fit. Also ordered a sweater on sale. I found a $10 off coupon code = thx30. It expires 5/1/13.

Thank you for mentioning this.

I ordered a pair of pants from J. Jill, too. :)

Yes!!! I love them and am wearing a pair right now! :) They also have a little zippered pocket at the waistline that's just the right size for key card or credit card. I bought the navy in long and capri length and the dusty blue in capri length. I've had them for about a year and they wash great and don't stretch out. Will be getting more before our next trip. Definitely worth the price, but Lands End always has a 25-30% sale code with free shipping over $50. Just get on their email list for the sales codes.

thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

Thanks for all the help; I knew people on this board would direct me in the right direction.

I am going to look at the J. Jill pants over the weekend at the store since I have to try

them on; not sure of size...

Not too sure about yoga pants and their fit.

evidently I'm odd man out.. but do folks really care about 'looks' over 'comfort' on a 10 hour overnight flight? I'm going to have my LLBean flannels in my carry-on and if I can get away with putting on in JFK before the overnight flight to Barcelona I'll be the guy in the flannel PJs.

For flights, especially long ones, I have to have comfortable pants, otherwise I will actually be in pain--tight waistlines always do that to me.

I have several that are large around the waist that I wear; while I like to look nice, on the plane that is second to comfort, by far.

For me, many elastic waist pants, especially yoga pants, still fit too tight; I need a very relaxed waist line. I have khaki's that are about a size too large that I wear sometimes and a pair of semi-skinny jeans that for some reason are very roomy in the waist that work well also.

I'd say try some on and sit down in them to see if they seem too snug when sitting. I'm amazed at the super tight clothes I see sometimes on flights to Europe; don't know how people do it.

Archived