Sydneys NEW White Bay Terminal

True but if you do not know the city and need to go to the airport, there are several ways to go and the cheapest is probably avoiding going over the Pyrmont bridge. :D

But then all the other cruise terminals being compared to are in the city so lose that airport argument as well. :D

Boat (and tender) staff are well used to dealing with people in wheelchairs or with mobility issues. :D

Very true, but those boats in the pictures are not tenders and hopping from one boat to another is pretty hard to do at the best of times.:D

I believe it is proposed to have an airport shuttle to and from the ship terminal at White Bay for $20 one way. That is actually a good deal for the folks who are flying in or out and straight to terminal. Not so good for overseas people who plan to stay in Sydney in hotels....and no hotels to speak of in the Balmain area.

And definitely not so good for Sydneysiders either!! Balmain not such an easy place to get to from other parts of Sydney.:mad:

I do like the idea of ferry to get passengers to ship from Darling Harbour and The Quay - that would be a great asset to all and city as well!

I thought the ferry was a good idea but when you think about it predominiantly it will be people with luggage and that probably wouldn't work so well. They really need a bus service that runs to/from the city (maybe Central) on ship days.

I've seen ferries overseas with a luggage storage area.

Actually for us western sydney siders it is easier as for us we only need to drive down Victoria rd and can now avoid the city....

But you usually go in a "limo" don't you, so you would not have to drive anyway:D:D:D

I thought the ferry was a good idea but when you think about it predominiantly it will be people with luggage and that probably wouldn't work so well. They really need a bus service that runs to/from the city (maybe Central) on ship days.

I'm no Sydney local, but Captain Cook Cruises accepts luggage onboard their Perth and Fremantle vessels.

I did precisely that on the last cruise. Boarded with luggage in Perth, took a casual scenic ride down the Swan River to Fremantle, not too far from the Fremantle Passenger Terminal. The only thing that was unexpected was the distance from Ferry to Ship due to having to go around a long fence and the condition of the road/path which caused wheeled luggage to get caught a few times. Even then, it was a welcomed change to the usual taxi. Something like that in Sydney sounds awesome.

Too funny, :D Do you have the kids in steerage as well? :eek:

What do you mean steerage...the kids don't even get to go.. Their job is just to drive the luggage in and that's it.... see what happens when you take a dozen suitcases on a world cruise:)...I believe Gary took a different shirt for every day:D:D

.I believe Gary took a different shirt for every day:D:D

Don't laugh too loudly. I think you will all have cruised with the lovely Aussie couple who dress in matching clothes every day. For a 35 night cruise they take 35 sets of day-time clothes (different shirts anyway) and 35 sets of evening clothes.

What do you mean steerage...the kids don't even get to go.. Their job is just to drive the luggage in and that's it.... see what happens when you take a dozen suitcases on a world cruise:)...I believe Gary took a different shirt for every day:D:D

Wow, a different shirt every day. I don't even have that many shirts.:D

Wow, a different shirt every day

It happens. We have done a few World Cruise segments and come across this.

* One lady travellng solo on a full World Cruise , booked 2 cabins side by side, 1 for her and 1 for her wardrobe of clothes.

*On another, a lady , doing the full World Cruise, was the talk of the ship as she made her entrance into the Dining Room every evening in a different outfit. It was the talk of the ship as how she had packed it all and where had she stowed it all away:eek:

It happens. We have done a few World Cruise segments and come across this.

* One lady travellng solo on a full World Cruise , booked 2 cabins side by side, 1 for her and 1 for her wardrobe of clothes.

*On another, a lady , doing the full World Cruise, was the talk of the ship as she made her entrance into the Dining Room every evening in a different outfit. It was the talk of the ship as how she had packed it all and where had she stowed it all away:eek:

I suppose you could mix and match tops and bottoms but that would only get you so far. Fortunately I am Male and therefore do not notice what someone else is wearing unless it is really out there (tshirt and a tux).:D

We were pleasantly surprised at the operational procedures at the new cruise terminal this morning, when we went to collect our elderly parents off the Dawn Princess. We had heard a few horror stories re. access etc but it seems to be flowing quite smoothly now. Driving access is only through James Craig Drive and does not appear accessible through neighbouring Balmain and Rozelle streets. Walking from the Rozelle Light Rail Station with luggage is not a sensible option. The road in, is very long and windy but it is well sign posted with blue and white signs.

We were able to drive right up to the new terminal building and there is plenty of parking. Shuttle buses were leaving at fairly regular intervals, possibly to the airport and Central Station etc.There were plenty of security personnel directing traffic and assisting passengers. The terminal itself is purpose built and not a large marquee like Barrangaroo. The only downside for today's disembarking passengers was the announcement on board, that there would be an hours wait at the taxi rank to leave the terminal. This is exactly how it panned out because the queue was VERY long.

I'm with you Packetau, I think the kids come in very handy when it's time for the folks to be dropped off! We leave in 21 days on the RTW Sea Princess cruise! Yeehah!

The only downside for today's disembarking passengers was the announcement on board, that there would be an hours wait at the taxi rank to leave the terminal. This is exactly how it panned out because the queue was VERY long.!

Not enough Taxi's, and this is when there is no demand on a working day.:mad:

Good to read that Princess and P&O are offering shuttles to Central Railway Station ($12) and Airport ($20). This would be my choice, as it appears Taxi's and public transport have their issues. ;)

Archived