Can we pay cash for on board tips.

the kids

Hi There,

Yes it is possible to remove auto tip,

however your room steward will know,

if you tip him\her at the end of the cruise in cash they can not keep it

it will go into the tip pool

because you removed the auto tip

if you want to pay the auto tip in cash, you can deposit cash when you board to your account.

yours Shogun

The steward does not find out about you removing your auto tip until the end of the cruise, thats when all accounts are calculated. He has to hand all cash tips during the cruise and then he will find out if he can personaly keep it

You can pay the tips in cash.

Will you have traditional dining? Or Anytime? If Anytime, you will need to bring cash to every meal to give the appropriate tips. Even with TD, you will need to give cash every day to the servers for breakfast and lunch.

Seems like a real hassle to me.

You don't have to remove the auto-tip to pay cash. Just pay the same amount as the charge will be to Passenger services and they will apply it to your account which will zero out at end of cruise.

If you want to remove the auto-tip completely, see the caveats above, but that's a totally different thing.

You will make everybody much happier, and the people who gave you great service will get more money, if you keep your auto tips in place and then give cash to special people in addition to the standard auto tip.

We just figure the auto tip as part of the cost of the cruise.

This was commented on, but here are my views.

You have a single on board account folio. It is a simple plus/minus accounting system.

a) Don't remove the auto-tip. Let it go as a charge onto your folio.

b) At anytime during the voyage give a cash deposit to the Customer Service desk. It can be any amount to cover just the auto-tip amount ($11.50/day/pp) or extra to cover drink purchases, Princess Tours, Spa costs, anything.

c) This cash will go as a credit to your folio. At the end of the cruise any expenses over the credit will be charged to you credit card. Any over payment of cash will be refunded to you credit card.

d) On the last day before disembarking you can pay off the entire balance in cash, thus your credit card will have a zero balance or a very small balance for the charges you make of the last evening of the cruise.

Many Princess ships have a kiosk where you can check your account any time you wish. If the ship doesn't have a kiosk, just ask Customer Service and they will print a folio for you.

Note: Many passengers provide extra cash tips (addition to the auto tip) at the end of the voyage to their room steward, and waiters if they had traditional dining or the same waiters in Anytime dining. Our standard rule of thumb is $25/week to the room steward, but some provide more or less.

iS IT POSSIBLE TO PAY CASH FOR THE WEEKLY TIPS RATHER THAN HAVE IT CHARGED TO OUR CREDIT CARD. IF SO, HOW DO WE HAVE IT REMOVED FROM OUR FOLIO.

THANK YOU

Two options: you can leave the auto-tip on and pay your folio in cash. Or, you can remove the auto-tip and tip everyone who serves you throughout the day and evening in cash. That would, of course, include all the great service in any of the dining rooms at breakfast, lunch or dinner, buffet, grill area, etc. Kind of a pain to carry cash around constantly but some do it. If you chose to remove the auto-tip and tip individually, anything you give goes into the tipping pool. They don't get to keep it.

The bottom line is that it's far easier and simpler to leave the auto-tip in place and use cash to pay your folio.

If you are simply saying that you want to pay off your account with cash instead of it going on your credit card, then just go to the passenger services desk and give them cash for your account. Of course, that would be a royal pain on the final night if you wait until then.

A few years ago, when we were getting ready for a cruise, my hubby saw that he had some travelers cheques. So after the first week of that cruise, he went to the desk and paid off some of our charges with those.

But if you are saying you want to tip the staff with cash, after removing the autotips, then please read the comments above that explain the reasons why it's not a good thing to do so.

If you pay any member of staff who is part of the tipping pool, he/she should take your name and cabin no. Hand the money in to there supervisor and they would have to wait and see until the end of that cruise if they can keep the cash. If you opt out of autobtip, they have to pool it all in.

iS IT POSSIBLE TO PAY CASH FOR THE WEEKLY TIPS RATHER THAN HAVE IT CHARGED TO OUR CREDIT CARD. IF SO, HOW DO WE HAVE IT REMOVED FROM OUR FOLIO.

THANK YOU

Never thought of it quite like that, but I suppose you could go to the Pursers desk at the end of your cruise and pay in cash an amount equal to the accumulated hotel charge. Don't know why you would want to do that, but it should keep the auto tip from being charged to your credit card.

It's simple, I do this every cruise. I take lots of cash with me, give credit card for onboard account and leave auto tips on. Last day of cruise I go to service desk and pay off my account in cash, very easy. I go to the desk late the last night or early in the morning on the last day to avoid lines. No problems, it's your cruise. Have fun.

Archived